• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
This sounds absolutely fascinating. Definitely going to be buying this.

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't Sakaguchi the president of Square at the time? If so it's a weird twist of fate that his new company Mistwalker went to Microsoft for funding only a few years later.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this would have been a disaster for both companies and would have led to Square closing.

It seems rare that these acquisitions ever work out.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Level 5, Platinum, statements from nippon ichi, what they did to phantom dust, ect..
What did they do to Phantom Dust? If you're talking about the Phantom Dust reboot, that wasn't Japanese.

Nippon Ichi complained about MS having minimum order requirements. This is a root problem that primarily affects Japanese games with low, low sales. Not Japanese games inherently. I believe someone mentioned some time ago it has to do with MS not having DVD/Blu Ray manufacturing capacity in Japan or something like that. But that doesn't make MS the bad guy in that scenario.

The Level 5 thing is True Fantasy Live Online, I assume? That was a messy business. It was a mixture of MS pushing new technology -- voice chat in particular -- and the development team struggling to adapt to said new technology. It's difficult to assign blame fully to one side. But it's not like MS were "mistreating" Level 5. They were simply negotiating poorly and Level 5 were struggling to deliver the product asked of them.

Games get cancelled all the time. For various reasons.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Ok, so we don't live in the darkest timeline after all. Thank God It didn't happen, Square would have been shut down years ago.

Although I would have loved a Dreamcast 2.

Portman

Nov 5, 2017
Thanks for the heads up about the books. After finishing Console Wars and Blood Sweat and Pixels I've been wanting to read more on the industry like that. I had remembered the book about the 360 and was going to hunt it down but now I've got some additional reading to add to the list.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's amazing how keen Microsoft were to get a foothold but still had the sense to walk away. Another thing, they really go straight for the shit hot thing of the time to get a leg up. Kinda see that with Minecraft, COD, PUBG etc.
Yeah, another one of these big deals will actually come to fruition though and a lot of ppl are going to lose their shit

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Sakaguchi the president of Square at the time? If so it's a weird twist of fate that his new company Mistwalker went to Microsoft for funding only a few years later.
Sakaguchi was never president of Square. He was executive vice president at his resignation and likely at this time too

Also, thank god that never happened. I do NOT want to see that alternate timeline

Oct 27, 2017
If MS didn't really understand what Rare was and their culture, good lord would they have struggled at understanding Square. Everyone involved dodged a bullet there.

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! Once I'm done with Jacked I'll read this. Love reading books about the inner workings of the industry.

I've read console wars like 3 times

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If MS didn't really understand what Rare was and their culture, good lord would they have struggled at understanding Square. Everyone involved dodged a bullet there.
Nintendo didn't understand Rare, either. But the critical aspect of the Nintendo/Rare relationship was that Nintendo left Rare alone for the most part. More importantly Rare's management shielded the development teams from external meddling. (And deadlines.) Nintendo would occasionally veto things and make "suggestions", but they were largely hands off. Ken Lobb was the primary point of contact between Nintendo and Rare. And the strange thing is that he joined MS. He is Rare's evangelist within MS. They could have had the same relationship, but MS management felt they knew better.

Really, a Square/MS relationship would have entirely hinged upon management style. As we saw with Lionhead -- or even Bungie, arguably -- it's not like MS in that era had a "must micromanage the shit out of everything" policy stapled to the wall. Bungie's absolutely terrible development practices would probably never have been allowed if Microsoft had been paying attention to what Bungie were doing.

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
If this had gone through, what would have happened to the games that came out for PS1 and PS2 afterwards? The original Xbox came out in November 2001, so I suppose all of the games released during that time just wouldn't have come out, or they would have been delayed which would have caused other games not to come out. In 2000 and 2001 before the launch of the Xbox, we got FFVIII, FFIX, FFX and Vagrant Story... and MS almost stopped that.
Sakaguchi was never president of Square. He was executive vice president at his resignation and likely at this time too
Yeah, I misremembered, he was president of the NA branch of Square as well as executive vice president at the time. Couldn't find who was the actual president though, every site I found says Suzuki only became Square's president in 2000. If the book says it's 1995 though I'll believe it.

Last edited:

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing.

Reading J Allard's, all lower case, emails to Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer to "pre disaster" the meeting where Bill Gates chewed everyone up "this is a fucking insult to everything I've done at this company" is stuff I never expected to read.
Bill Gates did not believe Xbox would be successful. According to interviews he was always asking what they were doing with his money. He was ready to abort despite being excited for it in public.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
MS tried to buy Nintendo too right? for 25 billion?

That was the number Rick Thompson floats in the book, yes.

I used to drive the guys crazy because all they wanted to do was invent the future, you know, typical classic Microsoft guys, and I was kind of the anti-Christ going out to Nintendo and saying I'd rather buy them... In my mind we should have paid $25 billion for the company, rather than start this from scratch internally.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow gamers really dodged a bullet there, and it was all due to square being square lol.

It's always fascinating (and eerie) to find out how close certain deals were to being made years later.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We don't know that. Unless you can prove it NieR: Automata was going to be an XB1 game.

Microsoft want blockbusters game, look at their current output.

You could say that it was not like that during the OG Xbox days and you would be right but MS basically dropped all franchise from that era.

So there's very little chance for them to greenlight a sequel to Drakengard, than a spin off based on one of the endings of that game and then a sequel to Drakengard 2 and finally Nier Automata. All the while knowing that the team developping the first Nier was closed.

That's too convoluted to be a scenario coming with Microsoft unless they give Square full control for decades.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Give me a moment before I get to the main crux of the title. I promise I'll deliver.

Last year I saw that there were two upcoming books, Game of X v.1 and 2, from Rusel Demaria (who you might recall wrote some of the supplemental material tied to the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games along with founding Prima Guides) about Microsoft, the Xbox and DirectX. I'm a big fan of Dean Takahashi's "Unlocking the Xbox" book that detailed the making of that console so getting a new book about that time, now over a decade later so interviewees could be more open, was very appealing.

Anywho, fast forward to last week where I was pretty surprised to see that both volumes had actually released last year; I ordered myself a copy of the first volume and decided to look around online and see what folk thought of it. Thing is, the only discussion point I saw on the book was a VentureBeat article published on New Years Eve by Dean Takahashi about the book. The article made the book sound pretty exciting but I was still a bit curious at it's complete lack of reception.

Now that I have the book in my hands I'm blown away at its contents just 80 pages in. You have stuff in there that no one has talked about before like the Square deal (OK, Google shows one person teasing it back on GAF) or the meeting Bill Gates had with the chairman/CEO of CSK (owner of Sega), Isao Okawa where Okawa pitched Microsoft on working on a "Dreamcast 2 type thing" instead of the Xbox. Isao Okawa, dying of cancer, wanted to "leave another mark, even posthumously, on technology and Japan" and was willing to go all in on a collaboration. You even get how Nintendo, no matter how incredibly favorable a collaborative deal was, wouldn't work with MIcrosoft for how it would look like they "lost" to them.

Then there's the internal MIcrosoft information like the troubles of merging FASA into MIcrosoft went, how the MS Dreamcast team pitched against the Xbox, why Dell turned down an OEM Xbox, Epic pushing hard for the Xbox to use a mouse/keyboard and why that GDC console was in the shape of an X. Again, that's all just a couple things mentioned in the early pages of the book.

The book also includes official charts, powerpoint slides from things like meetings with Bill Gates, early architecture designs and roadmaps, emails from J Allard trying to calm any concerns from Gates and Balmer before the "massacre" of a final meeting that greenlit the Xbox, memos from marketing companies on research on the "X-box" name vs 11-X (along with a bunch of other unused names). All that's just from what I've read so far and by flipping through the nearly 200+ page appendix.

It is insane to me that this book has gotten essentially no coverage or discussion online. If you are at all interested in games I really, really encourage you to pick this up. There's a kindle and physical release on Amazon if you're interested (Canada here). I don't mean to rave but it's incredible stuff for anyone remotely interested in this industry.

Anyways, to deliver on that title's bait. As mentioned above in 1999 Microsoft had been courting companies for acquisition and SquareSoft came up primarily for getting the Final Fantasy IP. It got to the point, according to Bob McBreen, at the final meeting where the deal was to be signed the CEO of Square stood up and said that "before we sign, our banker would like to say something" to which said banker announced "we want more money" and "...just about doubled the price".

Square's banker explained that the valuation done had some errors. When asked what was missed in the valuation by Microsoft's representatives they were told "You missed that we're worth more money. We want more money". Rick Thompson recalled that "They wanted something like one and a half billion dollars for half of the company" which was more than what Microsoft was willing to spend so both parties walked from the deal.

What a world that would have been, eh?

*I have no relation to Rusel Demaria or these books. I just think it is, at least from what I've read, something that absolutely deserves the attention it hasn't gotten.*

I like how you write

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Square was owned by MS, automata would have never been made.
We don't know that. Unless you can prove it NieR: Automata was going to be an XB1 game.
NeiR: Automata was going to be a PC game, originally, wasn't it? If Square were owned by MS, terrible PC ports like NieR: Automata's would not happen. MS have standards. Wildly inconsistent standards -- see Halo Wars 2 -- but standards nonetheless.

It's all speculation, anyway. We have no idea how MS would have run Square. They've never been in that position before. Like, if Microsoft had outright owned Bioware, do people think that Bioware's games would have changed all that much? I don't think so. The biggest change of MS owning Square would probably have been MS pushing higher production values. (The Final Fantasy series has some ATROCIOUS graphics.) Which would push costs up. Which would push sales expectations up. This would have potential knock-on effects.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
NeiR: Automata was going to be a PC game, originally, wasn't it? If Square were owned by MS, terrible PC ports like NieR: Automata's would not happen. MS have standards. Wildly inconsistent standards -- see Halo Wars 2 -- but standards nonetheless.

It's all speculation, anyway. We have no idea how MS would have run Square. They've never been in that position before. Like, if Microsoft had outright owned Bioware, do people think that Bioware's games would have changed all that much? I don't think so. The biggest change of MS owning Square would probably have been MS pushing higher production values. (The Final Fantasy series has some ATROCIOUS graphics.) Which would push costs up. Which would push sales expectations up. This would have potential knock-on effects.

But don't we have a pretty good example with Rare?

Though I wonder what series would've risen to take Final Fantasy's place in that alternate timeline. Enix would never have merged with Square either.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
This could've been a decent thread, but instead it's a shit on Microsoft thread. FFs y'all got some intersting tidbits to talk about and all some of you want to do is praise the heavens that Microsoft from 99( who were actually putting out games) didn't buy Square. I mean damn.

Anubseth

Jan 10, 2018
Nintendo didn't understand Rare, either. But the critical aspect of the Nintendo/Rare relationship was that Nintendo left Rare alone for the most part. More importantly Rare's management shielded the development teams from external meddling. (And deadlines.) Nintendo would occasionally veto things and make "suggestions", but they were largely hands off. Ken Lobb was the primary point of contact between Nintendo and Rare. And the strange thing is that he joined MS. He is Rare's evangelist within MS. They could have had the same relationship, but MS management felt they knew better.

Really, a Square/MS relationship would have entirely hinged upon management style. As we saw with Lionhead -- or even Bungie, arguably -- it's not like MS in that era had a "must micromanage the shit out of everything" policy stapled to the wall. Bungie's absolutely terrible development practices would probably never have been allowed if Microsoft had been paying attention to what Bungie were doing.
But Rare is free with MS. The only thing MS made them do were the avatars and the kinetic games (and I'm not sure the latter was forced). Everything else was made by what the studio wanted. And that's the reason why we don't have new Banjos or Conkers. They may have a stricter schedule but they do whatever they want to. It would be no different with Square but I imagine they would focus on Japanese market.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This could've been a decent thread, but instead it's a shit on Microsoft thread. FFs y'all got some intersting tidbits to talk about and all some of you want to do is praise the heavens that Microsoft from 99( who were actually putting out games) didn't buy Square. I mean damn.

Well we have the power of knowing what happened after MS got into the game industry and how they act as a game publisher, so you can't be surprised to see everyone breathing a sigh of relief.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
Microsoft want blockbusters game, look at their current output.

You could say that it was not like that during the OG Xbox days and you would be right but MS basically dropped all franchise from that era.

So there's very little chance for them to greenlight a sequel to Drakengard, than a spin off based on one of the endings of that game and then a sequel to Drakengard 2 and finally Nier Automata. All the while knowing that the team developping the first Nier was closed.

That's too convoluted to be a scenario coming with Microsoft unless they give Square full control for decades.

I was actually joking

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't think MSFT management meshes well with Squaresoft's style of doing business.
It probably would have ended up with a massive exodus (if not outright closure) and the merger with Enix never happening as well.

Of course Nier Automata wouldn't exists because Square wouldn't either.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Well we have the power of knowing what happened after MS got into the game industry and how they act as a game publisher, so you can't be surprised to see everyone breathing a sigh of relief.

You also have the power to exercise your judgment on how they were when these things were happening and the people who around at that time. Really silly to apply their decision now to what you think could've happened back then. Sighing relief is hilarious in this context.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I love Square and I love Xbox.

This would probably have been a disaster.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But Rare is free with MS. The only thing MS made them do were the avatars and the kinetic games (and I'm not sure the latter was forced). Everything else was made by what the studio wanted. And that's the reason why we don't have new Banjos or Conkers. They may have a stricter schedule but they do whatever they want to. It would be no different with Square but I imagine they would focus on Japanese market.
The Rare situation is... nuanced. One can draw parallels to Valve. MS instituted a corporate structure that made it difficult for Rare's teams to actually make the games they wanted to make. But underneath this layer is another problem. Rare were afflicted by a sort of creative morass. A lack of forward direction that has only just been regained with Sea of Thieves.

The same thing happened to Free Radical. It's so easy to blame EA and Ubisoft and Lucasarts. And it's true that Lucasarts were kinda assholes. But HAZE demonstrated that Free Radical were struggling to implement current technology and also struggling to creative a cohesive game using that technology. Spending hours and hours in meetings not having any clear idea of what they were making. Rare/FR struggled to adapt to rapidly changing technology. It's one of the reasons why PD: Zero is such a technological Frankenstein. It's why HAZE is an ugly, buggy mess.

The situation with Rare is complicated, again. MS's shitty management style hurt the company badly, but Rare had internal problems. MS gets all the blame because people want a convenient villain.