• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

A business update is planned for this week

• Here we go again Monday

Votes: 26 5.8%
  • Taco Tuesday

Votes: 102 22.8%
  • Hump Day

Votes: 70 15.7%
  • Thor's Day

Votes: 86 19.2%
  • Happy Friday: EOB The Dark World

Votes: 107 23.9%
  • The Wknd

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • It will be cancelled or postponed

Votes: 47 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

~Millet~

Jan 21, 2019
You can't read it. Microsoft is covertly doing it and blocking the media's attempt to cover it. It's worse actually. Microsoft is sending out covert teams to break into your house and smash any xbox they find.

there is no evidence of this

the only evidence we have of anything is Microsoft is planning to go digital only and releasing a digital only Series X [FTC trial leaks] and apparently physical media teams have been laid off.

that's it, so far. But also if they're opening up the ecosystem a bit and changing the model to let other companies manufacture Xbox consoles, under that scenario they could stop production of Xbox while Xbox would still persist as a hardware platform.

There's lots of things on the table right now, we just don't know what strategy Microsoft has decided to go with.

There is huge potential for Xbox/Windows convergence which would make things very very interesting. Xbox would no longer be the on-ramp to the ecosystem but rather a point of accessibility of the larger ecosystem. Right now there's mostly defined boundaries.

There was a rumour on a Chinese website a few days ago. If you navigate to this message you'll see the tweet and link in the quote.

Thanks, guys. I found the page.

I believe this is what you are referring to? No idea how accurate this source is.

Google Translate:

www.businesstoday.com.tw

「吃粽子前可以洗洗睡」筆電出貨不樂觀,業者:上半年很不好過…這領域卻異軍突起、谷底翻揚- 今周刊

科技中下游業者先前熱烈期待2024年能夠一掃2023年的陰霾,不過今年一開年,業界便充滿各種壞消息,今年科技產業的景氣究竟如何?
Thank you.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
There's also the shutting down physical games rumor.

That is pretty much a given with the new iteration of the Series X to be discless. So assuming they are continuing with their hardware (narrator "They are") then they will only have discless consoles.
It is just a question of when

subliminal17

May 21, 2018
Isn't Valve a private company? The value is whatever Gabe Newell asks. Plus, Valve is the largest store in the biggest platform, I don't expect it to have such a small price tag. This would be like buying the Google Play Store.

My guess is in the realm of 150 billion.

Well of course it's whatever Newell asks, but valuation matters because it would require a buyer to believe it's intrinsically worth that much. In terms of what the value would be if on the market to the highest bidder, Bloomberg estimated fairly recently they were worth around $8 billion. That seems a tad low to me, but overall in the ballpark of what I would imagine.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The discussion is so out of realm of sanity that I think whatever they announce has to be more optimistic than stuff people thought up in their heads lol. Especially about HW's future.

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
It looks like Xbox Game Pass for Console is no longer an option? Is this a new development?

I only see XGP Core, XGP for PC, and XGP Ultimate.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah people are expecting too much. They will basically say we will release games on Switch and Playstation on a case by case basis. Starting with Hi-Fi Rush. I wouldn't expect much more than that tbh.
And this would not be huge news? 🤔

Multi platform games case by case it means that every single game potentially could be available everywhere. I hope that the official message will be a lot more clear than that. If they say case by case they leave the door open for everything.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I just checked using the Wayback Machine, the Game Pass page was changed when they changed Xbox Live Gold into Game Pass Core back on September 14th, so it's 5 months old by now.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
Imagine a whole kojima-like pre-credits for a business update video.

I asked Claude AI to write a Kojima style trailer for the business update video.

*Fade up on endless rows of cardboard boxes in a misty wasteland*

*Camera pans slowly over the boxes as melancholy piano chords play*

*Hard cut to Phil Spencer standing on a beach holding a crying toddler wearing Master Chief helmet*

Phil: "The walls between worlds vanish..."

*Baby blows raspberry and laughs through tears*

*Montage of game boxes floating in water: Halo...God of War...The Last of Us...Super Mario Bros.*

*Phil gazes thoughtfully into horizon as tide washes boxes in*

Phil: "Bridges built on distant shores...welcoming all seekers of joy."

*Sudden Smash Bros splash screen*

*Rapid shots: Donkey Kong battling Kratos...Kirby driving Warthog from Halo...Snake hiding in cardboard box wearing Mario hat*

Title: "Gaming's Stranded Souls finally brought home"

*Images darken leaving only bold words:*

SHATTERED BOUNDARIES

BROKEN CHAINS

*Quiet eight bit Zelda overworld theme plays*

*Phil walks freely through green pixel hills dotted with game boxes*

*Triumphant orchestral swell*

Phil: "A new quest begins...TOGETHER!!"

*Fade to black*

*Tagline:*

"Gaming without borders - All games on all systems"

*Title graphic burns in:*

HORIZON: GAMEWORLDS UNITED

Coming 2025...for the players

*Fade to credits over melancholy folk song*

*Mid credits - sudden fake Windows error screen*

*Fade up on Phil waking up from cryo-sleep pod*

Phil: "It was all...a simulation? The boundaries remain?"

*Leans back into pod with single tear...closing eyes as steam envelops*

*Cuts to black*

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
They clearly pushing for ultimate on the webpage,
hiding a cheaper option that would be enough for the user is nothing new.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I somehow don't see this ending up as dramatic as everyone seems to be predicting - Some specific Xbox games will come to PlayStation as very late ports, or in particular cases like HiFi Rush which almost seems like a game custom made to NOT appeal to Xbox's core fanbase.

Sell PS5 players $70 versions of games that will appear for "free" on GamePass. I think that is an acceptable compromise to bring in some extra cash and advertise your platform to other players.
I mean this is exactly what I'm thinking. Maybe why I'm not as worried as some others.
Of course I'm probably way off and the world ends next week.

ReticentRobot

Apr 16, 2021
Realistically, this is a good thing for MS and its shareholders. I just don't really care about all that. MS will make way more money now by not limiting themselves to a small piece of the console market. Comparatively, Sony will also not really benefit from this move either. They are not going to sell shit ton more consoles now that they are the only horse in the race. The ceiling is still there in terms of overall console sales.

So, I get it. I get the decision. MS was eventually going to get kicked out of the console market anyway due to dwindling sales.

But I still would like answers about my catalog of games. What's going to happen to them in the future? Will I be able to access those games without an Xbox console? That's what I'm really worried about.

You say all of this like it's a done deal. Whether these rumors are true or not, or to what extent - it's kind of amazing the amount of damage to a brand that can happen over some unconfirmed rumors and the response (or lack thereof) of the brand in question.

Aug 23, 2018
The only change I see them announcing for GamePass is GPU is now the only subscription that has day 1 releases, and eventually sunsetting the GP for console plan.

We likely get a good amount of talk next week on multi platform releases. But I don't think anything they say will appease fans. I can't imagine MS can outline a very clear "rule" for their exclusives. Sea of Thieves and HiFi Rush are very different types of games. And if they backtrack on Starfield going to PS, it's clear they may make these calls after seeing how it initially performs.

Maybe we get reassurance on future hardware. Maybe they get crazy and confirm 2026 is the target launch date and any decline in sales is offset by multi platform releases.

It'll be interesting, because I've seen so many people posting predictions and so many of them seem so wildly dumb. But hopefully we find out early next week

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's weird to see so many people say "it's nothing/probably just a few late ports" when Microsoft is literally changing/removing branding on Xbox-related things, has significantly reduced/all but eliminated their physical game departments, are holding a press conference to discuss future plans and still haven't refuted a single rumor (including the most dire.)

I'm not someone who thinks they're exiting the gaming hardware business altogether but come on, y'all. The suggestion that it's "just Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves and maybe Starfield or something" coming to other platforms feels steeped in denial.

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird to see so many people say "it's nothing/probably just a few late ports" when Microsoft is literally changing/removing branding on Xbox-related things, has significantly reduced/all but eliminated their physical game departments, are holding a press conference to discuss future plans and still haven't refuted a single rumor (including the most dire.)

I'm not someone who thinks they're exiting the gaming hardware business altogether but come on, y'all. The suggestion that it's "just Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves and maybe Starfield or something" coming to other platforms feels steeped in denial.
Espeically since they labeled it a business update. Who does that to just announce a few late ports

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason for the wait is also so the execs can do media rounds for interviews before the event so there will be follow up articles ready.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

Yeah there's no way that whatever gets announced is minor for Xbox, the amount of downplaying people are doing is honestly kinda funny

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Maybe it's a rebrand? They think Xbox clearly doesn't have any cachet anymore / is too nerdy and they're unveiling a new name?

Probably not, but also *a* possibility.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Maybe it's a rebrand? They think Xbox clearly doesn't have any cachet anymore / is too nerdy and they're unveiling a new name?

I believe there are many marketing charts about brand power that show you that Xbox isn't a Nintendo or Playstation,
but it surely is something.
It would be a weird decision to dump the brand and start at zero,
unless the new brands are really just gamepass, Microsoft, Bethesda and Activision, and the likes.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
+1 no one will care about it Hifi Rush on PS.

Starfield is a different story.
I don't think anyone (or rather that many) will care about Starfield either. It's a late port of a game that reviewed well but ultimately disappointed. I don't think it'll do as well as maybe some people or MS would hope. That (star) ship has sailed.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
For what it's worth, Nate (the leaker that initially corroborated the XboxEra report), walked back the Starfield multiplat rumour earlier in this thread and said he was likely fed bad info. He then clarified Xbox will still have major exclusives, which implies only small stuff will be going multiplat.

That throws cold water all over the crazy rumours/speculation that Gears, Starfield, Indy were going multiplat.
I'm now of the belief that Starfield is not happening & the info spread around was pure fiction. I'll own the miss.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

IMO: leave the hardware as Xbox but call everything else Microsoft Store/Pass/Account etc - it would be consistent with other companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.