• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Microsoft is building a new version of Windows 10, codenamed Polaris, for traditional PC form factors that strips out legacy components in favor of a more modern OS.

Last September, we exclusively revealed "Windows Core OS," an internal project at Microsoft that aims to turn Windows 10 into a truly modular OS. This new modular base opens the door to many new configurations of Windows 10, giving Microsoft the flexibility to build new Windows experiences for device form-factors that exist today and, more importantly, will exist in the future.

So far, however, we've only really talked in detail about Microsoft's plans for Windows Core OS in the mobile space, which I'm told will be the first Windows Core OS based variant to ship publicly. This new mobile version of Windows 10 is codenamed 'Andromeda OS' and is built from the ground up for dual-screened, foldable, pen first form-factors.

Alongside that effort, Microsoft is building new Windows experiences for other devices too, all powered by Windows Core OS. As said in the past, Windows Core OS is the future of Windows 10 as Microsoft is hoping to slowly but surely move every Windows-powered device type over to its new Windows Core OS base.

According to my sources, Microsoft is building a brand new version of Windows 10 for PC devices like desktops, laptops and 2-in-1's. This new version is entirely built on UWP, making it Microsoft's first truly modern Windows OS for the traditional PC form factor. It strips out old legacy components and features in favor of a lighter OS with excellent battery life and performance.

It's likely that Polaris will replace Windows 10 S, and sources say that Microsoft is looking into bringing Win32 app support to Polaris via remote virtualization, kind of like how HP did on the Elite x3, but with containers that make for a more "native" experience. I don't have all the details on this just yet, but I am told that it is something Microsoft is seriously invested in for Polaris as it will allow users to use Win32 programs when required without including all the legacy components required to run Win32 programs natively.

Existing Windows users won't be able to upgrade or switch to Polaris, nor will eventual Polaris users be able to upgrade to traditional Windows 10 Pro. Polaris and Windows 10 Pro will exist in unison, with Polaris only being available on new devices that ship with it.

Microsoft has been hard at work at converting the remaining legacy settings and functions into UWP. Control Panel is slowly being dismantled and rebuilt into Settings, additional applets like Sounds, Fonts, and more are following suit. All of this is in preparation for Windows Core OS, Andromeda OS, and Polaris, where there will be no support for legacy functions like the Control Panel.

This does also mean Microsoft is working on an updated [modern] File Explorer built on UWP, though this was already something of an open secret. Microsoft is hoping to have some working version of its modern File Explorer ready for Windows Core OS devices by the end of 2018, but that isn't set in stone and may get pushed back.

So when can we expect Polaris to be ready? I'm told Microsoft is targeting 2019 for its initial release of Polaris.

I apologize for how long this post is but there's a lot of information. There's more in the article (speculation/opinions from the author) but I quoted most of the facts (or what their insiders heard though WC has always been very reliable).

Source:https://windowscentral.com/windows-core-polaris

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
So it's windows RT all over again except they want to throw it on new prebuilts to lock them into the windows store. I assume win32 programs will run like crap if they aren't running natively?

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
So it's windows RT all over again except they want to throw it on new prebuilts to lock them into the windows store. I assume win32 programs will run like crap if they aren't running natively?
I think the article says it will run Win32 programs if required but in a UWP container or something like that so it feels "natively UWP".

Status
Not open for further replies.