• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Sony has since recanted, opening up Fortnite to cross-play for the first time while paving the way for other titles to join in the fun. So we got back in touch with Microsoft to inquire about the possibility of Minecraft players, finally, being able to link up across every major platform. Redmond's response was promising.

We believe in giving gamers the opportunity to play the games they want with the people they want. Whether that means working with our partners to deliver cross-network play with games like 'Rocket League' and 'Fortnite' or enabling cross-device play with the likes of Minecraft, we are supportive of new scenarios that enable more people to play and have fun together while gaming. We would love to bring players on PlayStation 4 into our Minecraft ecosystem as well but have nothing further to share at this time.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-would-love-bring-cross-platform-play-minecraft-playstation

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Us on the Era Realm would love to have our PS4 players join us. I'd so love to even play it on the PS4, I haven't played it there since the Better Together update came live for other platforms.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Ball's in your court Microsoft. You shouted when PlayStation was not allowing cross-play but you won't commit to bringing your update to their platform...

edit: Edited to clarify I'm talking about the update since it wasn't super obvious apparently.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Ball's in your court Microsoft. You shouted when PlayStation was not allowing cross-play but you won't commit to bringing your own game to their platform...
I dont follow? Minecraft is on PS4?
Edit: Oh you mean crossplay? Uhh thats what they are saying. They "would love" to add them if Sony wants.

Oct 25, 2017
Ball's in your court Microsoft. You shouted when PlayStation was not allowing cross-play but you won't commit to bringing your own game to their platform...
In this case, since you need a Microsoft account to log into Minecraft now, it's actually a ball inbetween courts and Sony would have to allow such an implementation before Microsoft can do anything.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

You do know Sony has only allowed cross-play on Fortnite, right? It's still on Sony to allow other games.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's quite obvious I'm referring to the "better together" update.

Better together if we don't have to make concessions!
Yes, and? That was because Sony wouldn't allow it.

They still got the Ocean Update via the old game though (or will soon)

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Not really obvious but see my edit and all the other responses.
I have Minecraft on PS4. Not like I don't know the game isn't on the platform.

Yes, and? That was because Sony wouldn't allow it.

They still got the Ocean Update via the old game though (or will soon)
They're allowing cross-play now, on a game by game basis, Microsoft is obviously talking with Sony on this, but will probably not budge on their LIVE account requirement.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Ball's in your court Microsoft. You shouted when PlayStation was not allowing cross-play but you won't commit to bringing your update to their platform...

edit: Edited to clarify I'm talking about the update since it wasn't super obvious apparently.
But they literally said they want to do it.

Do I need to remind you that the Sony crossplay thing is "for select third party content" meaning they probably need to get Sony's approval and it's not an universal thing. It's heavily implied that each individual third party needs to talk with Sony first, probably work out some kind of deal.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018

They're allowing cross-play now, on a game by game basis, Microsoft is obviously talking with Sony on this, but will probably not budge on their LIVE account requirement.

It's technically just a Microsoft account. Nintendo, Apple and Google are all fine with it.

If Sony says no then they're the ones who are still failing to meet the market's crossplay standards. Microsoft isn't going to make a special account for Sony just to appease them when no other company has an issue with the way the game is currently set up.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo don't have a problem with it.

Feb 10, 2018

Wheres your evidence that shows that this is MS choice?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

They just need to call it a Microsoft account or a Minecraft account. Just like the iOS version does it. It's not rocket science lol

And of course the account is needed, otherwise how would you even invite and join people from other platforms?

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
but will probably not budge on their LIVE account requirement.

Nor should they. Xbox Live was the account system being used on this version of Minecraft back when it was still just Pocket Edition and Windows 10 Edition. If even Nintendo was ok with that when the decision came to have this version replace 4J Studios' version on Switch, then the ball is still in Sony's court if Microsoft Accounts is what is preventing Sony from allowing this version of Minecraft on PS4. Why should a new account system need to be developed?

Feb 26, 2018
Not if it requires any MS account system. Sony is Sony.
But I never thought they will enable crossplay so who knows

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

They still don't have permission to. If you read Sony's statement, it's only Fortnite that has crossplay permission and they are "investigating" allowing other games.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017

It's been two days. Let's ease off blaming people and see what happens, eh?

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They probably will and Sony will probably budge, even with the whole account thing. Minecraft is just too big of a game to gate and not consider for cross-platform.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

If you admit MS is most likely talking to Sony, what inspired that "ball is in your court" initial post you made?

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They just need to call it a Microsoft account or a Minecraft account. Just like the iOS version does it. It's not rocket science lol

And of course the account is needed, otherwise how would you even invite and join people from other platforms?

They call it a Microsoft Account on Switch, too.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
If cross play is gonna be a thing that is done properly then there should really be some authentication standard that allows each service to authenticate users without having to have different accounts everywhere. You shouldn't need a live account to play a game on a switch o PS4 or vice/versa.

This is one of those cases where the big platform holders should work together and come up with some API or other.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect Rocket League in the next few weeks. Minecraft I have some doubt since you need an Xbox account.
Microsoft owns Minecraft, why can't they just do it if they wanted to?
Because then Sony will take it out of the PS Store and withdraw the license of every PS4 in existence rendering the game dead on PS4.
It's technically just a Microsoft account. Nintendo, Apple and Google are all fine with it.
None of these are competing with MS like Sony does tho.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't explain how weird it was seeing my old X360 avatar pop up on my Switch. Gonna be so weird seeing that on a PS, but I want that update

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

I think this Live account issue is very exaggerated on Era. I don't know specifically for Sony accounts, but Ms puts many restrictions on the data 3rd party is allowed to save from users logging in into 3rd party accounts. And Sony very likely have similar rules, so the data Ms would have access to is little more than an unique identifier they can cross with their own identifier to realize the user is the same even when coming from other platforms.

I think the publishing deal for the old version alongside the fact that sony still haven't allowed crossplay for all games are much bigger impediments (more so the first one)