• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
This seems like a nice way of saying 'we haven't achieved the market penetration of our competitors, and the demographic breadth that implies'.

I mean it's a true point that they're at probably the higher-value end of a console's market penetration, so on average 'engagement' would be higher, but if Sony segmented their audience, they'd probably find in absolute terms a group as large or larger that are equally high-engagement. Averages can mask a multitude of detail.

Nintendo ought to be at a similar stage of 'high-engagement'/hardcore market adoption with Switch, but maybe the demo is slightly different there, or maybe he's not even thinking of the Switch.

Anyway, for investors, there is maybe a point there. But I think they'd be more happy to take returns from less 'engaged' customers.also, if MS could reach them, regardless of whether those returns are a bit lower per user.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/investor/earnings/FY-2018-Q3/press-release-webcast

Maybe I should have said revenue or gross income instead of income, but I don't know if it have much to do with the questions I was answering to you.
It does because it completely changes the implication of your statement: "What nadella said is an explanation to investors of why income of the division increased this quarter without a dramatic increase in hardware sales". If it referred to net income then I would have to agree with you and the discussion ends there because, yes that would mean MS is very successful in what they are doing. If it's just revenue, then it goes back to everything else, that it's a meaningless metric on its own, and you're just guessing same as everyone else.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
This seems like a nice way of saying 'we haven't achieved the market penetration of our competitors, and the demographic breadth that implies'.

I mean it's a true point that they're at probably the higher-value end of a console's market penetration, so on average 'engagement' would be higher, but if Sony segmented their audience, they'd probably find in absolute terms a group as large or larger that are equally high-engagement. Averages can mask a multitude of detail.

Nintendo ought to be at a similar stage of 'high-engagement'/hardcore market adoption with Switch, but maybe the demo is slightly different there, or maybe he's not even thinking of the Switch.

Anyway, for investors, there is maybe a point there. But I think they'd be more happy to take returns from less 'engaged' customers.also, if MS could reach them, regardless of whether those returns are a bit lower per user.

I agree. Well said, gofreak.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
It does because it completely changes the implication of your statement: "What nadella said is an explanation to investors of why income of the division increased this quarter without a dramatic increase in hardware sales"
No, it doesn't make a difference on this subject. He needs to explain why revenue grow, how is he planning to keep growing, and why is he spending more on the gaming division. It's all part of the same subject.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Worst selling console still finds a way to come out as successful? With this mentality Xbox might not survive next-gen.
Worst selling console? 2nd console in market is worst ?

40m + is not the worst. Xbox division made over 2b in latest earnings. So yeah stop with Doom n gloom. They are not financially weak like Sega to quit market. Xbox is the only popular hardware brand they have and they will never abandon it .

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Worst selling console? 2nd console in market is worst ?

40m + is not the worst. Xbox division made over 2b in latest earnings. So yeah stop with Doom n gloom. They are not financially weak like Sega to quit market. Xbox is the only popular hardware brand they have and they will never abandon it .

It's not 40M+ . And using MS metrics like the one mentioned on the op, yes is the worst selling console.

quotethis

Banned
Jan 21, 2018
It's not 40M+ . And using MS metrics like the one mentioned on the op, yes is the worst selling console.

How do you know it's not at 40M? Is that just something you WANT to believe because you don't like MS? Do they even release the numbers anymore? I could swear they stopped giving out total hardware sales figures.

Bitsmurch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Near Day 1 they bought Bungie and created many other partnerships. Over a decade later after mistakes, they restructured. During restructures, most companies don't go on spending sprees. They're now stable and investing again.

Microsoft is one of the richest companies on the planet lol.

How are they not stable?

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
How do you know it's not at 40M? Is that just something you WANT to believe because you don't like MS? Do they even release the numbers anymore? I could swear they stopped giving out total hardware sales figures.
They did, because they are behind. Also why they announce silly things like this. It's unfortunate cause they aren't even doing bad, but they way they announce things it seems like they are.

They don't have to be #1 to announce sales numbers.

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
748.jpg

quotethis

Banned
Jan 21, 2018
They did, because they are behind. Also why they announce silly things like this. It's unfortunate cause they aren't even doing bad, but they way they announce things it seems like they are.

They don't have to be #1 to announce sales numbers.

Yeah. I feel like they should be proud of whatever number they've sold. 30-40M is not anything to be ashamed of. Sony just had them by the balls the entire generation. They've won and that's ok. Try again next gen. *shrugs*

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Yeah. I feel like they should be proud of whatever number they've sold. 30-40M is not anything to be ashamed of. Sony just had them by the balls the entire generation. They've won and that's ok. Try again next gen. *shrugs*
I can agree with this. Maybe for some time the gaming division was at risk, and it was better to avoid comparisons with sony, but right now they must simply report sales from time to time. Is not like report sales stops you for still talking about other metrics.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Is all the engagement coming from the inordinate amount of lag that console UI has? One button press on the other consoles is quick and you are done. On theirs you press and laaaaaaag. I can see that making people use their Xbox longer. I kid obviously. Or do I?

Oct 27, 2017
Stop being defensive, this is typical Ms marketing spin because they lost this gen. Your are only showing your true colors.
Man, if you read this bullshit often, it's really easy to write and replicate.

Posts like this are why Microsoft are right to not disclose exact sales. Large sections of the gaming industry are made up of children (especially grown up ones!) who don't understand the first thing about business beyond very simple "who won?" terms. And obviously, anything else is "spin".

Microsoft can't come out and say they're outselling the competition because they're not. But they are entitled to publish any other metrics where they are successful, especially when it's stuff that shows players are still using their platform and making them a lot of money. Shock horror, there's more to business than "winning" a hardware race every 5 years.

There are people on this forum who are absolutely gutted Microsoft aren't just quietly fading out of the gaming industry.

quotethis

Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Posts like this are why Microsoft are right to not disclose exact sales. Large sections of the gaming industry are made up of children (especially grown up ones!) who don't understand the first thing about business beyond very simple "who won?" terms. And obviously, anything else is "spin".

Microsoft can't come out and say they're outselling the competition because they're not. But they are entitled to publish any other metrics where they are successful, especially when it's stuff that shows players are still using their platform and making them a lot of money. Shock horror, there's more to business than "winning" a hardware race every 5 years.

There are people on this forum who are absolutely gutted Microsoft aren't just quietly fading out of the gaming industry.

Yeah. It's pretty disgusting. They just want Sony and Nintendo. As if that would be good for consumers. Sony would pretty much control most AA(what's left of them)and AAA games. No different than if it were only MS. Bad for gamers. Not good

Bitsmurch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Just to be clear Sony got hammered when they lost the plot with the PS3 and they ended up responding by bringing the gaming rain.

MS on the other hand whilst making every effort to improve games we've already played to death in all fairness seems to have forgotten that people want new gaming experiences too, which is odd seeing as they are in the games business.

Deleted member 8136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It is unbelievable, how badly ERA is moderated - with actual mods in this very thread.
The CEO explains to investors, why revenue grew without substantially more hardware being sold; and the thread is full of console warriors screaming 'PR spin'.
This is embarrassing not only for those posters, but for the site as a whole.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

I don't think Microsoft should be bothered for post like this, or haters on forums. Is not like not reporting sales avoid people trashing them, or even believing they are doing worse than they are actually doing.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
If Microsoft manages to be on top one day, do you imagine that they keep their actual narrative of not reporting sales and talking about engagement and stuff, only being measured by quarter results lol. It would be hilarious, the fumes would be great to see.

Nov 3, 2017
Ok, moving away from the dumb fucking console wars nonsense, how exactly does Microsoft know they have superior engagement? Obviously they know their own metrics, which I presume are impressive, but how would they do how they compare to Sony?

Also was engagement defined? We have our own general understanding of what it means, but do we know exactly what it means for this specific context?

Oct 27, 2017
MS on the other hand whilst making every effort to improve games we've already played to death in all fairness seems to have forgotten that people want new gaming experiences too, which is odd seeing as they are in the games business.

Have they? Sea of Thieves has issues but it feels fresh enough to me. They're pretty much the only major publisher not to have given up on arcade racers (and Infact thrives on it). They're the only gig in town when it comes to console RTS'..

Also, innovation and new experiences doesn't start and end at first party output. Game Pass and their back compat strategy - particularly the X Enhancements - have been the most transformative elements of this gen for me. Total game changers. I feel like it's some of this stuff that's more relevant to the thread, and to Microsoft's current business growth, than more debate over first party output. That's a road well travelled elsewhere on the forum. This thread (and my response to it that you quoted) is more about the business side of what MS are doing, and how badly some misunderstand that just to constantly parrot a load of shit about "losing"..

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Ok, moving away from the dumb fucking console wars nonsense, how exactly does Microsoft know they have superior engagement? Obviously they know their own metrics, which I presume are impressive, but how would they do how they compare to Sony?

Also was engagement defined? We have our own general understanding of what it means, but do we know exactly what it means for this specific context?
I think in this context engadgement means "giving us their money". Maybe he's speaking about how much time is spending playing on Xbox but for investors that's a bit irrelevant.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
It is unbelievable, how badly ERA is moderated - with actual mods in this very thread.
The CEO explains to investors, why revenue grew without substantially more hardware being sold; and the thread is full of console warriors screaming 'PR spin'.
Seems to be the way most Microsoft threads go. Either this or screaming DOA at the top of their lungs.

Nov 3, 2017
I think in this context engadgement means "giving us their money". Maybe he's speaking about how much time is spending playing on Xbox but for investors that's a bit irrelevant.

I don't think time spent is irrelevant. With how much gaming is micro transactions based now, there is likely a positive correlation between time spent and monetisation

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
If Microsoft manages to be on top one day, do you imagine that they keep their actual narrative of not reporting sales and talking about engagement and stuff, only being measured by quarter results lol. It would be hilarious, the fumes would be great to see.

We are seeing plenty of fumes already. They are not great to see.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much. Anything MS executive say that is remotely positive is a PR spin. Even when taking to a group of investors.

Oct 27, 2017
The World

Because people think Satya is answering as a console warrior and not as a CEO. It is ridiculous how bad this thread is.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
A coupe of red flags recently , but it does feel like the user migration from the old place is complete

Psrock1

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you guys need to stop bashing the website and its mod and community because you can't handle the facts MS will be called out for Pr spin.
Why aren't you guys mad they never tell it straight up. They use verbiage that sounds positive to hide the obvious negative parts. Even XBox X which probably is selling, they don't provide any numbers.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soon "Xbox is the console towards which players feel the most love" then "Xbox the most time spent thinking about at work console"

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
It was 35 last year according Zhuge. Pretty sure it's close 40m now.

Thats good enough install base for games to be successful.
It was at 35 million in February according to Zhuge, no way its managed to get close to 40 million over the past few months.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Some of you guys need to stop bashing the website and its mod and community because you can't handle the facts MS will be called out for Pr spin.
Why aren't you guys mad they never tell it straight up. They use verbiage that sounds positive to hide the obvious negative parts. Even XBox X which probably is selling, they don't provide any numbers.

When are you going to realise that the CEO of MS on an investor call having reported growth across virtually all areas isn't doing PR. He doesn't care about console fanboy wars. He's providing information to investors.

He doesn't have to spin anything. MS make more money than any other console manufacturer and have growth in gaming. He's reporting their strategy to investors. That is it period. They are a vastly more successful company than Sony and Nadella has improved their position even further. The fact that they are selling less consoles than Sony is barely significant in the context of what was being discussed. Sony would walk over hot coals to reverse positions with MS and be second in the console space but have the MS revenue and profits.