• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
What Satya is saying makes sense to me. Not sure the snarkiness on the first page was warranted. It literally just means the average Xbox player is more dedicated to their console than others.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
As much as I hate classic MS spin, at least they're doing well in some manner. They may not be the top but they keep the pressure on Sony and that's good enough for me.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Come on guys, this is pretty run of the mill investor comms. It's not like they are taking out ads about how PS and Nin have shit engagement.

In anycase it's actually great that they have found their direction because competition keeps this healthy and also that statement does not in anyway reduce or impair your engagement with your PS4s and Switches.

TeeWhy

Oct 27, 2017
Might be a dumb question but how do they know they have the highest engaged playerbase compared to the PS4 or Switch?

I'm guessing from having access to the full NPD report. Just because Sony doesn't share it with us, doesn't mean Microsoft is not seeing it. Do you ever ask Sony how they know they are the best selling console in a given month when Microsoft doesn't reveal their numbers?

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
MS, if your sales are nothing to write home about compared to Sony and Nintendo, best not to say anything. Otherwise, you get people rightfully mocking your horrendous and transparent attempts at good PR.

There's more to the current market than console sales. Money that's being made from users digitally is obviously very important in this day/age.

Too many of you guys are stuck in the '90s/2000s. Game/console companies are making tons of money in various other ways.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
There's more to the current market than console sales. Money that's being made from users digitally is obviously very important in this day/age.

Too many of you guys are stuck in the '90s/2000s. Game/console companies are making tons of money in various other ways.

Of course there are but it's the same for every platform .

Cladyclad

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I'm guessing from having access to the full NPD report. Just because Sony doesn't share it with us, doesn't mean Microsoft is not seeing it. Do you ever ask Sony how they know they are the best selling console in a given month when Microsoft doesn't reveal their numbers?
But do me have numbers of Sony world wide

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Ehhh idk, it would not surprise me to discover that Xbox's hardcore base is more "engaged" than the PS4 hardcore base, and that it's not only a symptom of averaging. Xbox attracts multiplayer gamers specifically, who spend more time online consuming content.

My point is I think it's disingenuous to handwave away this PR as if it means nothing.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
Of course there are but it's the same for every platform .

Yes, but there are less Xbox One users vs. PS4 users. Even though this is the case, the money that's coming in from Xbox users has a higher average. It's not spin and it shows that the Xbox userbase is a bit more "hardcore" which makes sense considering the PS4 is a more mainstream console and is also more popular in territories that can't rely on solid internet connections for digital content.

I don't see how this is nonsense. It's an interesting stat considering the current growth of online gaming services.

Edit: I now see that Matt pretty much stated what I've said.

Cladyclad

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Yes. Let's just assume if Sony isn't arguing that the info is probably solid.

What is it with all the Inspector Clouseaus? This isn't some freaking conspiracy. Are you guys expecting an Oliver Stone film on the console wars?
Never said nothing about a conspiracy

I just want to know the metrics of this in a thread about engagement

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but there are less Xbox One users vs. PS4 users. Even though this is the case, the money that's coming in from Xbox users has a higher average. It's not spin and it shows that the Xbox userbase is a bit more "hardcore" which makes sense considering the PS4 is a more mainstream console and is also more popular in territories that can't rely on solid internet connections for digital content.

I don't see how this is nonsense. It's an interesting stat considering the current growth of online gaming services.

I don't think it's nonsense but it's normal for the bigger user base to be lower on average .
Like for eg i think on average there are more XB live members than there on are on PSN+ members .
Of course avgs don't tell you everything and you have to look at all the data .

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just, don't engage people who are making up their own imaginary stats to argue against stats they have no data for. This thread should just get locked.
MS is being vague on purpose. Of course if you want to you can claim what he said is entirely positive. The only reason we can't be sure if it is a positive is because MS has intentionally hidden the most important datapoint to determine this; the units of consoles sold.
Saying the rest of us are wrong because we don't have data, when the lack of data was deliberately engineered by Microsoft, is not helping your case. My scepticism is basically entirely revolving around this fact, that MS can easily turn this into 100% good news by just telling us the console sold-through numbers. The ball is in their court.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to downplay, but I remember reading similar things about the Vita. When a product is more niche, you tend to see higher engagement from the people who DO have it.

It's always a good sign when people love a product though.
Ya it always seemed like people that owned it, bought every fuckin game on it.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
No.

What this means is the average Xbox player spends more money then the average Playstation player. Which is true, and is absolutely a bright spot for the brand.

But it's also pretty normal. The more a console sells, the more it sells to a less "hardcore" player base, which means the spend per player will be diluted. The first 10 million people to buy a system will always be more valuable than the next 10 million, and so on.

Thanks for this. I. Was trying to figure out what they meant by "highest engagement console" in this context. I wasn't sure what they were implying here. Cheers for the clarification.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
rjc.gif

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017

All of this is of course right on the money but I think there's another factor in okay here that is contributing to these results. I think that with all of the first party initiatives from them incorporating MTX and various forms of monetizations it makes sense that Xbox users would tend to spend more on these sorts of transactions. It's a sort of expectation/conditioning thing going on with their heavy push towards GAAS. I'd imagine the same will hold true for them with whatever their next platform ends up being. Their audience is just more used to and willing to spend money in that way at this point

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This kind of stuff always sound like those obscure sport stats like "he is the only player in league history to average 11 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists and 1 steal a game during the 3rd week of February.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
That is natural...

The bigger the userbase = less money per user.

But the bigger userbase will always give more money combined... there is no advantage in having lower userbase.

80 million x $9 per user >>>> 35 million x $10 per user

It is not even comparable and not a metric to grab about when you are losing ton of money with lower userbase.

Last edited:

Ulairi

Oct 30, 2017
Engagement = money spent on services/content after original purchase... it's not "spin".

I'm not surprised by this at all. The Xbox One user base is smaller and made up of more dedicated gamers than the PS4. That "engagement" per user is going to be higher when there are fewer enthusiasts owning the platform.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
That is natural...

But the bigger userbase will always give more money combined... there is no advantage in having lower userbase.

It is not even comparable and not a metric to grab about when you are losing ton of money with lower userbase.
Xbox isn't losing money.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A reasonable response would be engaging the topic and not having a page full of drive by fanboy shitposts.
So how exactly does MS know the "engagement numbers" of Nintendo and Sony? And what even are those numbers? What exactly is engagement here? This is just ridiculous marketing speak that was brought to us to make fun of. Maybe engaging the topic counts to some engagement for MS? Engagement.
Welcome to any Microsoft thread on Era.
Welcome to any marketing related thread on Era you mean. When somebody at Sony tries to spin their crossplay stance or Reggie saying something stupid again you don't see anything different. This persecution complex is getting annoying.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That is natural...

So basically bragging about having fewer users... huh?

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Xbox isn't losing money.
Of course it is...

That is how competition works... just look how much money they could be making with 80 million players?

No company in the world wants to be in the MS position but that is how competition works... only one company can have all that money per generation... and I'm 100% sure MS internals are breaking the heads thinking how to invert this situation.

So basically bragging about having fewer users... huh?
Basically.

That is in no way a positive thing... MS would love to twice the userbase with little less engagement.

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez, this is an Xbox thread alright.

The rhetoric over there is kind of sad at this point. Just make up nonsense metrics

Just because you don't get it doesn't mean it's made up nonsense.

Do you think Sony doesn't look at these metrics and for ways to increase brand/user engagement? I mean, I don't want to spoil it for you, but maybe look it up.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it is...

That is how competition works... just look how much money they could be making with 80 million players?

No company in the world wants to be in the MS position but that is how competition works... only one company can have all that money per generation... and I'm 100% sure MS internals are breaking the heads thinking how to invert this situation.

Basically.

That is in no way a positive thing.

I'm pretty sure Ouya would love to be making $2 billion in gaming revenue every quarter. Y'all are being incredibly hyperbolic about the state MS is in. They are profitable and are seeing growth thus far this year. That is a good place to be. Might not be the best position but it's still a good one.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
I'm pretty sure Ouya would love to be making $2 billion in gaming revenue every quarter. Y'all are being incredibly hyperbolic about the state MS is in. They are profitable and are seeing growth thus far this year. That is a good place to be. Might not be the best position but it's still a good one.
Not for a big player in the market... I don't think anybody at MS is comfortable with that... that is not a business goal.

They definitely wants to have a bigger userbase, be first, etc... that is natural.

Marketing works are used based n your position in the market... if MS was in different position they won't talk about engagement.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Not for a big player in the market... I don't think anybody at MS is comfortable with that... that is not a business goal.

They definitely wants to have a bigger userbase, be first, etc... that is natural.

There is a huge difference between wanting to perform better and performing terribly or being in dire straights. Just because they'd like to be performing better doesn't mean they are performing poorly. Hell even businesses performing fantastically well want to perform better. That's what businesses do

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think Sony doesn't look at these metrics and for ways to increase brand/user engagement? I mean, I don't want to spoil it for you, but maybe look it up.

Sony just needs to have less exclusive games throughout the year, so that the player has more money to spend engaging with multiplatform games after the point of purchase.

As it stands, I'm not at all surprised that Xbox users are able to spend more money engaging more with less games.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
There is a huge difference between wanting to perform better and performing terribly or being in dire straights. Just because they'd like to be performing better doesn't mean they are performing poorly. Hell even businesses performing fantastically well want to perform better. That's what businesses do
MS is literally saying "we lost the game but one of our players was the best 3 points scorer".

That looks like a team performing better?

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS is literally saying "we lost the game but one of our players was the best 3 points scorer".

That looks like a team performing better?

So... what is it that you think they should do at an investor Q&A? "Well, we are losing to Sony for number one and probably have no shot at winning. You should sell your Microsoft stock and buy Sony Stock." As for your example you might focus on your 3 point game if you think it's a building block for future success. Or I guess the coach could concede that they lost the game because he's a lousy couch and they should probably fire him and demand a better one.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Sony just needs to have less exclusive games throughout the year, so that the player has more money to spend engaging with multiplatform games after the point of purchase.

As it stands, I'm not at all surprised that Xbox users are able to spend more money engaging more with less games.

Yeah, swing and a miss there.