• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
To me this is one of the 1X's biggest selling points that Microsoft aren't getting enough credit for. They themselves don't even seem to make a huge deal out of it relatively speaking and I'm not sure why. They're essentially giving you 4K remasters for free (if you own the game obviously) with support for stuff like cloud saves and other perks that come with Xbox Live. Games like Gears 3 and Forza Horizon now look comparable to an average modern title which is crazy as a free update. You can't get those games anywhere else, not even PC.

It makes $40 remasters like Burnout look extremely overpriced even if they do include the DLC. Remasters like Dishonoured 1, Bulletstorm Full Clip Edition and Sleeping Dogs DE are a joke in comparison especially when some of them were still 30fps. Can you imagine how much RDR would sell if they gave it the BC 4K treatment and sold it for $30-40?

I really hope Microsoft can keep pumping these out in a timely finish and 360 exclusives such as Lost Odyssey end up on there eventually. The Xbox is my least preferred platform but this shit is genuinely amazing.

Forza Horizon

68bf3dd1-1aff-45fc-afz6sla.png

Crackdown

1e6380eb-94e8-4273-82cjsem.png

The Witcher 2

f4a9d4e4-ba81-4b25-b51csc4.png

Skate

yFnMpiD.png

Gears of War 3

342c516b-34ea-425b-bd7a-25ee39bc0dfc.PNG

Mirror's Edge

37581479184_06fa184935_o.png

Comparison pictures:

assass_01f6k9t.png

compareiqsnm.gif

DXGUNByWAAAVNPe.jpg:large

Last edited:

D65

Oct 26, 2017
They basically managed to bring the magic of PC gaming to console without any of the hassle. If this were how things always were from the beginning, consoles would have incredible libraries. BC is important!

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know one thing its that sony really needs to implement backwards compatability as a core feature of the ps5

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes me glad I waited a year or so to pick up an Xbox One. Phil and the Xbox team did a great job on righting the ship after the initial direction.

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
It's my favorite thing about the X. Truly remarkable work. I was playing BC games all night, lol.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
Nintendo is applauded for selling wiiu ports on switch, while MS just drops BC announcements and X enhancements casually during the week.

If you already own the game it's free, and it also adds value to their games with gold offerings each month.

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
I am very impressed, I have to admit. Agreed, remarkable work. Keep them coming MS. Now give us a new Freedom Fighters, the Splinter Cell series BC and I'll be mega happy.

Deleted member 5545

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine a more frivolous purchase in my life right now than an X1X consider I already have on OG (and PS4. And Switch. And a decent PC. And I hardly have time for even one of them.) yet this news today made me think long and hard about it.

Knock a benjamin off the price and I'd probably jump in.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Its one of the things that pisses me off about the PS4 , i really want PS1 and PS2 games with 4K patches. I know PS3 is out of the question because of Cell. Maybe they can solve that with the PS5.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
A friend came by last month and asked about my xbox one x. I genuinely said the best show pieces were skate 3 and mirror's edge.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
It's a really cool feature. However, most of the games receiving this thus far have either been first party games and games that otherwise seemed unlikely to get a remaster.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
It's honestly the only real reason I bought an X1X. I don't own a 360 or OG Xbox anymore so being able to play a lot of the games locked to those systems with way better performance is fucking dynamite. I am not a Microsoft fan, but they have won me over with a lot of the things they have done lately.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It has me incredibly interested in what they're planning with the next Xbox. How do they continue to push this when they're already enabling some great upgrades with the X.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Forza Horizon has no business looking as good as it does now. Kind of mind blowing really.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
BC is almost enough to get me to buy an Xbone X. Almost.

If I'm gonna drop $500, I'd much rather it be on a new GPU on the off chance there's a miracle and they're available long enough for me to buy one, but if Microsoft released their emulators on PC as part of Windows 10, or even sold them, I'd be all over them in a heartbeat.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking amazing. It's like PC gaming without the fuss. Now I just have 4K versions of games I bought last gen.

So dope.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is applauded for selling wiiu ports on switch, while MS just drops BC announcements and X enhancements casually during the week.

If you already own the game it's free, and it also adds value to their games with gold offerings each month.

I feel like I see way more bitching about the price of Wii U ports than applauding, but that has nothing to do with this that I can tell anyway

OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Only downside is that the games aren't 60fps like they would be on PC, but hey, you can't have everything.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I played BioShock Infinite BC and it looked ugly as hell. 4K means nothing to me if textures and image quality still suck.

When they go through and do an X enhanced update, they usually boost some other things. Look at that Crackdown gif above as an example.

Also, Bioshock Infinite isn't X enhanced, just BC.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But then Microsoft will have no advantages.

Interesting thought process you've got going on there. Care to share how Sony magically caught up with all the BC enhancements that MS has been working on for the last 4 years or longer? I think if my memory serves me correctly, Sony was quite shocked over the original BC announcement and even claimed they couldn't get that kind of function working on the PS4. Well, I honestly don't believe they actually tried to make the feature work as they had just announced the purchase of Gaikai 3 years before MS's bombshell.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/6/19/8811447/sony-surprised-by-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility

"Sony was equally startled by Microsoft's announcement. "It was surprising," says Sony's Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida in an interview with Eurogamer. "I didn't think it was possible. There must be lots of engineering effort.""

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...gaikai-its-certainly-a-move-for-playstation-4

"They brought it in, they tried to do something with it, it didn't fit with their corporate structure. Meanwhile, they bought themselves an enormous amount of time when the cloud gaming threat to their existing business model has now been pushed back a couple of years. That might be worth more money."

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But so many people told me that BC is unimportant and they prefer repaying for their games as remasters? :)

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
Impressive. I'm not buying an Xbox One X only for this right now, but a price cut + some new exclusives might convince me to jump back in... Is Red Dead Redemption enhanced for 1X yet?

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
But so many people told me that BC is unimportant and they prefer repaying for their games as remasters? :)

"I'd rather pay for remasters...." ...that might never come is a ludicrous statement. Especially when you get shit like BC with enhancements for a fraction of the price or FREE even.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting thought process you've got going on there. Care to share how Sony magically caught up with all the BC enhancements that MS has been working on for the last 4 years or longer? I think if my memory serves me correctly, Sony was quite shocked over the original BC announcement and even claimed they couldn't get that kind of function working on the PS4. Well, I honestly don't believe they actually tried to make the feature work as they had just announced the purchase of Gaikai 3 years before MS's bombshell.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/6/19/8811447/sony-surprised-by-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility

"Sony was equally startled by Microsoft's announcement. "It was surprising," says Sony's Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida in an interview with Eurogamer. "I didn't think it was possible. There must be lots of engineering effort.""

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...gaikai-its-certainly-a-move-for-playstation-4

"They brought it in, they tried to do something with it, it didn't fit with their corporate structure. Meanwhile, they bought themselves an enormous amount of time when the cloud gaming threat to their existing business model has now been pushed back a couple of years. That might be worth more money."

I'm saying Microsoft have the BC thing going for them, if Sony get even close to being on part BC wise next gen that's a major advantage for Microsoft lost.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Normally, I couldn't care less about backwards compatibility. But playing 360 games at 4K on my X definitely has me excited. Hoping for RDR and the Mass Effect trilogy.