• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021

Great to see the big three all doing great. This is a wonderful time for gaming, and this gen should bring out the best out of these companies with increased competition!

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
This gen is all gonna be like YOU GET SUCCESS, YOU GET SUCCESS, AND YOU GET SUCCESS to everyone.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah MS isn't going anywhere. They're all in, will be interesting what else they do in the next 2-3 years. Could be some big deals and acquisitions coming.

OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
But I hear Gamepass isn't financially feasible.
Note this is only revenue and not profit. They're most likely losing a lot of money on new consoles and Game Pass. However, Game Pass is definitely feasible with the potential revenue it has, same with any subscription service.

Hopefully they don't need 500 million subscribers ($60BN/yr) though /s

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It really is a breath of fresh air to see all of the Big 3 doing really well at the same time for the first time in a damn decade.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Note this is only revenue and not profit. They're most likely losing a lot of money on new consoles and Game Pass. However, Game Pass is definitely feasible with the potential revenue it has, same with any subscription service.

Hopefully they don't need 500 million subscribers ($60BN/yr) though /s
They certainly well might be, but it's clearly not hurting them right now. We'll have to wait and see for the long term.

Great to the see the industry so healthy.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
To think that things haven't even really begun yet is actually mind-boggling. Wow, talk about a bright future and complete 180 from this time last gen!

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Play Anywhere is a "service"? I'm actually very curious who the hell buys games with Play Anywhere as a selling point and how often they use utilize the feature (there's an audience that would rather wait for a Steam release and don't care about Play Anywhere)

EDIT: Let me clarify my stance as I rushed my initial post. I love Play Anywhere and I find it rather convenient as an existing Xbox (Series S) and PC owner as well as Game Pass Ultimate subscriber. However, it intrigues me that they want to push Play Anywhere going forward as part of their "services" as I don't think it gets talked about as much as I'd like; I'm very curious what the "conversion rate" is for consumers who buy Play Anywhere games on PC and eventually buy Xbox hardware down the line or other numbers/data behind the impact Play Anywhere has on purchasing decisions and PC/console ownership. I am just very surprised (to an extent) that Microsoft highlights Play Anywhere as a major pillar in their "Services" offerings. I welcome more Play Anywhere titles and I hope more people buy into it (I just want to see the numbers/data though)!

Last edited:

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
We're ticking closer to the 500 billion GP subscriptions needed to make Halo Infinite profitable.

Nintendo & PlayStation revenue for comparison (All 3 had record years)
OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
We're ticking closer to the 500 billion GP subscriptions needed to make Halo Infinite profitable.
Well you see, Halo Infinite was rumored to cost $500M dollars, so we would need to quadruple the game pass subs to cover it. We're looking at 2 billion game pass subs in order to fund Halo Infinite judging by my napkin math.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Time to buy Bethesda again.

tenor.gif

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Well you see, Halo Infinite was rumored to cost $500M dollars, so we would need to quadruple the game pass subs to cover it. We're looking at 2 billion game pass subs in order to fund Halo Infinite judging by my napkin math.
Your napkin math doesn't matter, friend, since you're not a former corporate executive. Sorry.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Play Anywhere is a "service"? I'm actually very curious who the hell buys games with Play Anywhere as a selling point and how often they use utilize the feature (there's an audience that would rather wait for a Steam release and don't care about Play Anywhere)
I specifically bought Yakuza: Like a Dragon from the MS Store when it launched instead of Steam because I had a Series S on the way.

If you have a PC and an Xbox and especially have Game Pass Ultimate, Play Anywhere is great since you can play games on either with the same save.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Wow very close to Nintendo. It would be interesting to know the profit numbers, but it is a much more difficult data to have.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I do. All the time. I normally like to play on the couch, but a lot of my friends play on PC with discord. If I want to chat with them I fire up the same game on PC and it picks me up in directly the same spot. Can't wait till everything is play anywhere.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
3 billion players sure is a goal. What number are they at right now?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Not even remotely close right now. Nintendo has stupidly high margins given their stance on full price games and selling hardware at a profit.
I mean, Nintendo Had 16.59 B vs 15.37 B. The revenue (not the profit cause we don't know the full data) of both is quite close.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Nintendo would be higher
Nintendo don't really have enough of the super 3rd parties to get much higher, it's largely carried by them, whereas PSN software sales is just massive revenue on it's own. They more than make up for it profit wise, they made 6 billion on 16b revenue. Sony made over 3 billion on 25 billion revenue (though launching a console is always super expensive).