• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
R7yTgbW.png

This appeared today on Steam's page for the game. Turn my online features if old.

store.steampowered.com

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition on Steam

Note: certain features for the Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor videogame will no longer be available beginning Dec. 31, 2020. Affected Features: • The Nemesis Forge feature will no longer be available.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
This shouldn't affect achievements or trophies, right?

If Vendetta missions won't be available anymore, then you probably won't be able to obtain "Repaid in Blood - Complete a Vendetta Mission." anymore. Unless they award this to anyone as well or provide an alternative, which I kinda doubt.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Grr, now I have to rush and play this because one achievement will become unavailable.

They should just give the achievement/trophy to everyone, or better yet, not make it fucking dependent on online servers.

Belmont

Oct 27, 2017
So I just started playing this today because the servers were being shut down. My understanding is that to transfer your info/orcs/whatever to the second game you need to link it to a wbplay.com account. I created a new account but I can't verify my email as when I click through to verify the account I just get taken to a password reset page.

Resetting the password doesn't seem to verify the account as it still says in game I need to verify. Visiting the wbplay.com site even without clicking through the verify link just takes you to a password reset page. (Even in Incognito.)

I've found Reddit posts from a year ago detailing the same issue. I can't believe their site has been broken for a year. That seems crazy (or lazy). Does anyone know a workaround?

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Oh what?

They could have given us a years warning or several months at least so i can try and finish the game.

Although I play this on xbox, so I'm kinda hoping that isnt affected and its just steam.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Oh what?

They could have given us a years warning or several months at least so i can try and finish the game.

Although I play this on xbox, so I'm kinda hoping that isnt affected and its just steam.

Man, this sucks. I dont really see how im going to finish the game in 5 or so days.

They are shutting down the online features of the game and not the game itself. You'll still be able to play and finish the game.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
They are shutting down the online features of the game and not the game itself. You'll still be able to play and finish the game.

Yeah, but without the Nemesis Forge it seems.

I was mostly playing this on PS4 Pro way back when due to the enhancements and got near the end but then when the second game came out I restarted playing on XBOX (as I thought the Nemesis forge would only operate on the one system and wouldn't work from system to system, and supposedly the second game played better there) and I've kind of let it fall by the wayside amongst my whole backlog.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I loved this and the sequel. But I'm a huge LOTR fan and love the Batman style combat.

not sure why companies don't give more heads up though. Shutting down online services should be expected at a point but can definitely give a better heads up than this time frame.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i platinumed the game but did not play the sequel..

what the hell is nemesis forge? I don't remember it at all about this 'mode' when i was platinuming it.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Should I bother downloading the game just to transfer my Nemeses data from the first game? I beat the first one five years ago so I don't remember the specifics, and if I would miss out on something cool if I don't do this.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
i platinumed the game but did not play the sequel..

what the hell is nemesis forge? I don't remember it at all about this 'mode' when i was platinuming it.

From what I read it's just a means of transferring your "Nemesis" from the first game to the second as a Follower. But to be honest..........

Why?

The second game treats all orcs as such fodder that I would see no benefit in doing this.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
That nemesis forge feature is pretty meaningless IMO. Shadow of War is just fine without anything transferring from SoM. You can still play the game without feeling like features are lost. If they do the same to Shadow of War however, there's a bunch more integration with other players with invasions and orc arena fights. Hopefully they're not shutting that down soon. I'm still hoping for an uncapped frame rate patch for ps5.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
This shouldn't affect achievements or trophies, right?
Grr, now I have to rush and play this because one achievement will become unavailable.

They should just give the achievement/trophy to everyone, or better yet, not make it fucking dependent on online servers.

It actually affects 3 achievements and will result in those becoming unobtainable: the one from the base game for avenging a friend's death, and one from each of the DLCs because they are leaderboard-dependent (and by all accounts are the 2 most difficult achievements in the game).

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
It actually affects 3 achievements and will result in those becoming unobtainable: the one from the base game for avenging a friend's death, and one from each of the DLCs because they are leaderboard-dependent (and by all accounts are the 2 most difficult achievements in the game).
That sucks. I had no idea shadow of modor had trophies tied to online. I was eventually going to play it. Guess I'll never be able to platinum it.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't even remember who my nemesis was in the first game. not sure if he ever even transferred over. i just about did everything in the game so no need to go back and play more.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
A lot of WB games has these bullshit random pointless one trophies that require some useless server nonsense, and then they pull server and never announce it at all.
They're all fairly easy to get, thankfully, but it sucks and shouldnt be a thing.

I'm still annoyed Mad Max servers were pulled and I didn't find out until a month after it even had an online trophy. :/

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
A lot of WB games has these bullshit random pointless one trophies that require some useless server nonsense, and then they pull server and never announce it at all.
They're all fairly easy to get, thankfully, but it sucks and shouldnt be a thing.

I'm still annoyed Mad Max servers were pulled and I didn't find out until a month after it even had an online trophy. :/
Wow thats messed up. That's another single player game that shouldn't have online trophies.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wow thats messed up. That's another single player game that shouldn't have online trophies.

Right? I'm not even sure why it's even an online trophy.

It's the "Up to the Task" trophy for completing all non-repeating challenges. There's one where you need to connect to the servers and collect a "daily scrap allowance". Like, why?

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but without the Nemesis Forge it seems.

I was mostly playing this on PS4 Pro way back when due to the enhancements and got near the end but then when the second game came out I restarted playing on XBOX (as I thought the Nemesis forge would only operate on the one system and wouldn't work from system to system, and supposedly the second game played better there) and I've kind of let it fall by the wayside amongst my whole backlog.

Honestly, I didn't even know what the Nemesis Forge feature was until people on here brought it up.

Either way, it sucks that these features are being cut and I understand the frustration.

From the website I was looking at, apparently it only affects the one trophy. https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic...-unobtainable/?do=findComment&comment=2229243

The ones from the DLC seem to not be related even if they say they are.

When it comes to the DLC achievements, there is the following statement by a Monolith Studios dev on their Discord Server (link):

Monolith_Mark 12/16/2020
As far as I can tell, the entire concern about those other 2 achievements not being available came from one player contacting a WB support rep and that's the answer they were given.
However, I've also talked to the people actually doing the work and they believe those achievements will still work.
I can't guarantee that until they're testng is complete but confidence is pretty high.
Until we get that confirmation, though, there really won't be more updates to pin in any case. I'll let you know as I know, though!

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone currently playing the PC version of Shadow of Mordor? I'm planning on working on at least getting the vendetta mission Steam achievement before its inaccessible forever.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
If companies shut down online servers for games, the least they could do is publish either code for the server, or at least the server protocol so that others could write one. I doubt many people are going to miss the loss of Shadow of Mordor's online features, especially since the game is pretty old now, but there'd no doubt be a small community for it if an alternate server were available.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Okay so those wondering how to do this trophy before the servers go down I just got it. Okay so I played the game maybe an hour tops what you need to is reforge two towers and do ratbags mission in Durthang West Stronghold. It's not too difficult and a vendetta mission popped up for me right afterward in the Garrison.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's the 1st of January and I'm still getting vendetta missions in-game.

Are we sure this online service termination doesn't just include the WBPlay integration?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Props to WB for doing this. Most developers just leave the Trophy / Plat Unobtainable... too bad I already rushed through both editions for the Plat last month :(

On the plus side it got me to finally sit down and play this game. My friend told me it was really really good, but man I just didn't think it looked that interesting. Just seemed very generic at first glance.

And it took me a while too. Really did not like it for a while. It actually wasn't until the challenges, which on xbox apparently do need an internet connection atm (until the patch), which kind of forced me to learn the game better, that I started to have it click.

Eventually I ended up beating the 40 minutes challenge, the harder one, at 34 minutes I think? Idk but then I did it again for the GOTY edition and did it in 30. I could have even broken 30 minutes but I did kind of a dumb thing at the end.

Really good fucking game.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
On the plus side it got me to finally sit down and play this game. My friend told me it was really really good, but man I just didn't think it looked that interesting. Just seemed very generic at first glance.

And it took me a while too. Really did not like it for a while. It actually wasn't until the challenges, which on xbox apparently do need an internet connection atm (until the patch), which kind of forced me to learn the game better, that I started to have it click.

Eventually I ended up beating the 40 minutes challenge, the harder one, at 34 minutes I think? Idk but then I did it again for the GOTY edition and did it in 30. I could have even broken 30 minutes but I did kind of a dumb thing at the end.

Really good fucking game.

i did those DLC challenges twice for both editions. Learning how to tackle it was a nightmare, but once you figure it out you can breeze through it. The game has some jank from the PS3 era, but I enjoyed it.