• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I've been down a rabbit hole looking at the #midjourney hashtag on twitter, some of this stuff is really impressive. Granted some of it is modified in photoshop/photo bashed after the fact but the things made with just text prompts are great too. A lot of examples I see are horror based so for the squeamish fair warning. For the less spooky examples here's a blog with some non horror creations, I'd embed the pics but they don't seem to work here: https://www.readthepresentage.com/p/midjourney-ai-art-tool?s=r

Without further ado:

Loads more examples to find on twitter, feel free to share your favorites you come across. Midjourney is in closed beta now with sign ups here: https://o9q981dirmk.typeform.com/to/zZtF1mVc?typeform-source=t.co

A public paid version is apparently forthcoming though don't think there's a firm release date. FYI it works through a Discord channel where you input the prompts in. I haven't gotten in yet, going off reddit posts it can take a week or two to get in, but since the popularity of this is taking off more it may take longer. Curious if anyone else on Era has used it, feel free to share your creations if so!

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
Wow, this is like two leagues above that other AI art tool which was posted a few months ago.
Ehhhh it's leaning on this stuff's strong suit, which is to render images that convey meaning but in a freaky way. If you look at a lot of the art from the other program, the edges can be rough and stuff will meld together in an unsettling way.

Basically, these programs excel at horror.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
what are the keywords the AI is going off of in each image? or what's the input to get each output?

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
That is some incredible work. It's kinda amazing how much this AI learning technology has developed in the last few years although I can understand how some artists may be a little apprehensive as to what this might mean for their field in the next 10-20 years.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
images

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff, but I kinda like the stuff put out by DALL-E 2 better. Feels somewhat more "natural".

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff, but I kinda like the stuff put out by DALL-E 2 better. Feels somewhat more "natural".
This is accurate, but a lot of the examples in the OP are in art styles that are purposefully drawn as being unnatural, which is why they work so well for me. The appeal of, say, Francis Bacon's art is that it seems to have been painted by someone who had different perspective to a "normal" human being, and the talent to bring that perspective to life. That same feeling is present when AI is applied to similarly detached, disturbing subjects and art styles.

You wouldn't mistake these examples as being painted by a person, but that's kind of the point.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I'd be very interested to know the IP rights in images generated by this; after the last AI image tool that went big on Twitter turned out to be an NFT scheme.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
ai will never totally replace artists because it will require clients to accurately describe what they actually want

at least that's my increasingly nervous illustrator logic
Uh oh...about that...

DALL-E 2 generates art based on what you typed in what you want...and it gives you 10 examples each time in seconds to pick from

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Uh oh...about that...

DALL-E 2 generates art based on what you typed in what you want...and it gives you 10 examples each time in seconds to pick from

In the end, I expect AI-generated art will be regarded as 'another tool'

the golden age of illustration (mid 19th century to early 20th century) was eclipsed by photography, but now they are both used together for different contexts and intent.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Basically, these programs excel at horror.

That is something that seems pretty consistent among the AI generated art, yeah. I guess it makes sense, having things blend together and be cloaked in fog is going to be creepier, and easier for a computer that has trouble differentiating between distinct things. I do hope these tools get better at things beyond that domain. I want to see some beautiful, wholesome AI generated art, too.

Oct 27, 2017
ai will never totally replace artists because it will require clients to accurately describe what they actually want

at least that's my increasingly nervous illustrator logic
If art clients are anything like software engineering clients, they're notoriously bad at accurately describing what they want and these AI probably aren't easy to make minor tweaks to

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
for the record, in case the AIs rule the world in 20 years

THATS SOME GREAT ART MR AI IT LOOKS AWESOME AND YOU HAVE REAL TALENT AND I THINK YOU ARE TERRIFIC

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Very useful now to generate art for online articles. Dalle, but same idea.

Or design toys!

Last edited:

Lupo

Nov 7, 2017
Did anyone see the documentary "My Kid Could Paint that?" It followed a young girl who was a supposed prodigy that painted abstract works. From the documentary it seems that she was guided, however slightly, by her father who was an amateur painter himself. The end results were genuinely appealing, even shockingly good at times. She may have done the core essence of them, but it could've been guided and cleaned up by her father. He alone probably couldn't tap into that unimitable, limitless perspective that a child possesses, not to mention the marketing sensation that a prodigy naturally brings.

I think an artist could do something similar with programs like these, acting more as a guiding or finishing hand, but ending up with startling works in tandem. The marketing is also inherently there, especially if that human/machine dichotomy is really played up and emphasized.

Rijapega

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
I'd be very interested to know the IP rights in images generated by this; after the last AI image tool that went big on Twitter turned out to be an NFT scheme.

Do you remember what Ai tool was it? As far as I know, the user gets the rights. I have been kinda interested in AIs for a while and have been deep into the rabbit hole, but hadn't heard of one tool that was an NFT scheme?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so the robots are gunning to replace artists, but their writing still sucks and no doubt will suck forever! Ha ha ha ha ha!

There will never be an AI penned bestseller! At least a non-ironic one! Ha ha ha ha ha!

*wrings hands*

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
It's been interesting seeing pros react to this in my timeline (more in the thread)

Certainly has a lot of potential as a tool for paint overs/fast idea generation.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I've been having a lot of fun with Midjourney.
I'll tidy and edit these up in Photoshop but it's super fun to use and incredible to see what people are making. Here's some of my creations:

- - -

a64a5e2b-ef5a-4b08-b75qkgb.png

ace10789-d815-4577-b4r6jca.png

bc89f8e9-5437-4e27-b4uxk3q.png

0_0zsk7z.png

- - -

1216d551-97d3-42b3-8fnujz2.png

- - -

0_03ykk92.png

- - -

831a60ca-3fad-4704-89twk33.png

b195e31e-f928-41c6-a9kbkz4.png

ff8a38fb-aa18-4fdf-95lnkkc.png

1904fe77-e1fe-4de6-848ujgx.png

- - -

0_0x2kbw.png

- - -

undefined_kyuuji_ametc7kpp.png

undefined_kyuuji_amet0ukme.png

undefined_kyuuji_ametusk6j.png

💜

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
applied to the beta for Midjourney cause of this thread and hope I get in since it seems like pretty much all of the really good text-to-image AI tools popping up recently are being gatekept by their creators, except for maybe DALL-E Mini.

I can see these being really useful for the hobby musician and novelist when it comes to generating covers. At least depending on how the rights work.
That's actually exactly why I'm interested in it.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is going to cause a pretty big shake out in certain fields, whether or not it ultimately depreciates the hand of the graphic artist is up to the consumer. That said, many of the great illustrators have had inimitable styles that often are references in and of themselves.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Many possibilities, selecting a paragraph in a novel and seeing illustrations appear can be really motivating for a writer IMO.

Won't be long before this can be done easily with music.

Might make it a lot easier to pitch a script, tv show, etc, with such supercharged "story boards".

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I can see these being really useful for the hobby musician and novelist when it comes to generating covers. At least depending on how the rights work.
If you subscribe you're free to use anything produced for commercial use with two caveats:

- If you're using them as an employee of a US company with revenue over $1m then you need a corporate license
- If you turn them into NFTs and make over $20k per month then they get 20%

So it's really open for people to use.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Yeah, this is going to cause a pretty big shake out in certain fields, whether or not it ultimately depreciates the hand of the graphic artist is up to the consumer. That said, many of the great illustrators have had inimitable styles that often are references in and of themselves.

Most consumers aren't going to even know the art they are looking is made by an AI or a person as these advance more and for certain types of art work, like concept art for projects for instance, it won't even be made for consumers to see to begin with. It'll be the companies that hire artists for work that'll decide that fate.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
I love how each of these AI have their own house style despite being trained on millions of images. DALL-E 2 is better at photorealism and traditional art, though awful at text. Imagen is great at text and crisp, "corporate pop" art, though sometimes the lighting can look flat and compositions badly photoshopped. And Midjourney excels at ambience and atmosphere, though that sometimes covers for a lack of coherency.