PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
shop.a24films.com

Midsommar Director's Cut: Collector's Edition

Special edition Blu-ray accompanied by illustrated 62-page booklet featuring original artworks from the film by Ragnar Pearrson and a foreword by Martin Scorsese.
The first Collector's Edition from A24, Ari Aster's 171-minute director's cut will look as crisp on your bookshelf as it does in 4K Ultra HD.

Blu-ray disc comes enclosed in a clothbound, Hårga-yellow slipcase, accompanied by an illustrated 62-page booklet featuring original artworks from the film by Ragnar Persson and a foreword by Martin Scorsese.

Orders will ship by July 20th.

I got an email notification about this and preordered it immediately. The UHD is likely to sell out today.

420ba9a9-2ded-4c25-99ba-4d51911a3d46.gif

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man I don't think I could handle an even long Midsommar.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
The book would be great to have, looks awesome. Also, damn, Scorsese doing the foreward, that's gotta make Aster feel good.

I never got around to watching the director's cut, I need to get on that.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Not my favorite from A24 but people who love it love it so I can see why they went with this one first. Hopefully this means more 4K editions from them (I need The Lighthouse in 4K). Lionsgate handling their home video distribution is the fucking worst.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GIF is very annoying, does that say Martin Scorsese wrote something for this?

Not that it's a good movie, just wondering

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I really want to see the director's cut, but $45 for a 4K UHD is absurd - and they sold the digital rights to Apple as a TV+ exclusive. Just completely unacceptable behavior.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Damn, $45 and they can't even give me free shipping lol. A bit more pricey honestly, but very nice packaging and I really do see it as a film I will sit down and revisit from time to time.

The book would be great to have, looks awesome. Also, damn, Scorsese doing the foreward, that's gotta make Aster feel good.

I never got around to watching the director's cut, I need to get on that.

The Director's Cut does ultimately a better job of showing the couple (I forget their names off the top of my head) and how shitty they are to each other. The theatrical version I felt doesn't portray that well, like you hear character describe it as such, but it always comes off like the chick is a nutcase, for understandable reasons of course, and the guy is just sort of stuck with her. But you see a lot more of their tense interactions and you kind of realize they both just kind of hate each other but feel stuck with the other. It makes the ending, I think, make a lot more sense as to why she makes the choice she does.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I really want to see the director's cut, but $45 for a 4K UHD is absurd - and they sold the digital rights to Apple as a TV+ exclusive. Just completely unacceptable behavior.

A regular UHD release is generally between $25-30 MSRP, and this comes in a special casing, along with a lot of art and writing about the film. That may or may not be worth $20, but honestly, it's not that outrageous for this kind of premium release. And I don't believe the digital version is only Apple TV+. I think you still get buy it even if you don't have TV+

Just in a collectors edition?

You can also get it digitally from Apple TV. But besides that, yeah, this is the only physical release that features the Director's Cut. All of the previous ones was just the theatrical.

you can watch 4k blurays on an xbox one x even if you have a 1080p tv right?

Yes.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
You can also get it digitally from Apple TV. But besides that, yeah, this is the only physical release that features the Director's Cut. All of the previous ones was just the theatrical.
Don't have an Apple TV, and I'd want it on a disc anyways. Just sucks they don't have a non-collectors edition available :(

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Don't have an Apple TV, and I'd want it on a disc anyways. Just sucks they don't have a non-collectors edition available :(

Yeah, hopefully they will do one. This one, oddly, doesn't seem to have the theatrical cut on it as a bonus or anything, either. So I won't be surprised if they do like a dual release with both cuts for a more mass consumer market at some point.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Beginning of the film is too heavy and triggering for me to ever rewatch, but good to hear that the cut brings certain elements more into focus.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely was an interesting movie but not worth USD 45$ for me. It showed the type of people that get caught in cults and all of the steps involved (especially for the main character and what happened in the beginning). Was a bit disappointed there weren't much supernatural elements.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For $50 it really ought to include both the 4K version and a 1080p BluRay.

The complete lack of special features (documentary, commentary, alternate scenes, theatrical cut) is also pretty striking here. Hard for me to throw down so much money on a single release when they've done so little to justify the price. I suspect there may be some kind of Definitive Edition in the future.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Immediate buy. I'm glad I didn't buy the standard def one, despite it being $6 on amazon for the last couple weeks

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I already own the bluray. Is the directors cut really THAT much better?

Oct 27, 2017
The Director's Cut does ultimately a better job of showing the couple (I forget their names off the top of my head) and how shitty they are to each other. The theatrical version I felt doesn't portray that well, like you hear character describe it as such, but it always comes off like the chick is a nutcase, for understandable reasons of course, and the guy is just sort of stuck with her. But you see a lot more of their tense interactions and you kind of realize they both just kind of hate each other but feel stuck with the other. It makes the ending, I think, make a lot more sense as to why she makes the choice she does.
That makes sense. The only version of the film I've seen is the Director's Cut and that's exactly the impression I took away from it.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4k is sold out. Are they planing in making more of these?

Edit: Nevermind, it's showing that it's not sold out now. Hm.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao my friend loves this movie for some reason so I just mentioned it to him and he..

instant cop

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I watched the DC clips on YT and it did fill out a few things. Certainly makes the ending more 'justified'

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I think with the theatrical cut, you kind of have to chalk up the ending to being a result of the cult's brainwashing/gaslighting why she makes the choice she does. Which honestly works considering all that happens, so I see why they made the cuts they did to make it shorter and still work. But in the DC, you realize that's only part of it, and the two are just toxic together lol. Doesn't really change the film fundamentally, but definitely makes you look at those two characters a lot differently.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
i hope they do an elaborate set like this for some of their other movies. I'd kill for a Lighthouse one.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Can't belive I missed this. What's the best way to keep up to date on if this comes back in stock?

Looks like the 4K set is already sold out? Can't say I'm surprised by that news with this being the only way to get it on a 4K disc in the US (maybe anywhere?), but I suspect that it won't be terribly long before the Blu-ray also sells out with how fine of packaging they put together for this.

Judging by the description text here:

The first Collector's Edition from A24

I would definitely start expecting them to do sets for Uncut Gems and The Lighthouse later on this year.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the 4K set is already sold out? Can't say I'm surprised by that news with this being the only way to get it on a 4K disc in the US (maybe anywhere?), but I suspect that it won't be terribly long before the Blu-ray also sells out with how fine of packaging they put together for this.

Judging by the description text here:

I would definitely start expecting them to do sets for Uncut Gems and The Lighthouse later on this year.
Italy got the regular movie on 4K along with the DC on blu ray. So far, this is the only way to get the Director's Cut on 4K blu ray

Emiya777

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
It was a solid movie but like definitely not as good as Hereditary. People really are this one up though.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty nice. Too bad I'm in the middle of unloading a lot of my collectible LE Blus and Steelbook stuff. If this was three years ago I would buy.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
What was the initial stock for the 4K release? Sells out in hours? What the fuck.