• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alternade

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who has read the script wanna spoil the plot? While I'm too much of a scaredy cat to watch this I am super intrigued about the plot. I got crazy chills watching this trailer just like when I saw the Hereditary one

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Looks so good. Love how vivid it is in contrast to the dark shit that's going to happen.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thought Hereditary was overhyped but will still check this out. Looks intriguing.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
looks great, i just hope it's not going to be too artsy. that's always my biggest worry with independent horror movies.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
so now we have a new mouth sound that annoying people will constantly make during the screening

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Aster's about to make me scared shitless watching a movie that presumably takes place in broad daylight, ain't he?

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really, really love how it mostly seems to be set in brilliant daylight. Having it all so exposed makes it even more unsettling.
That's what I think Aster's going for and I agree, it sounds lovely. How many horror films have we seen over the life of the genre that are in claustrophobic, dark, gross, night-time environments? A heck of a lot.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't need to watch this. I'm already sold. Unfortunately, I've been subjected to the trailer to Us innumerous times, which I'm sure spoils at least the first 20 minutes of the film. Not a fan of watching "set up" when I know what a film is setting up to be.
Right on, fuck trailers. I know enough from loving Hereditary and Get Out that I will most likely love this movie and Us.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Well, it takes place in Hårga:

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hårgadansen

Translate that page and it might hint at parts of the plot I guess.
Oh right, I remember that story from an "unexplained phenomena" thread a while back. That's pretty cool. I really liked Hereditary, but
ironically, the supernatural parts were my least favorite. I liked it much more as an allegory for mental illness that is passed on through generations, but that allegory fell apart a bit at the end.
I'm curious if this offers much beyond the surface-level pagan story.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Oh this looks like it's going to be real good.

I'm gonna need this to end with a shot of some weird faun-type creature that they're praying to.
Only if you only see it for like a matter of seconds and no other direct shots of it are seen throughout any other part of the movie, though.

Was there even a single shot at night? The last horror film I saw that was set completely during the day was Samurai Cop.
It's one of the areas referred to as the Land of the Midnight Sun for a reason.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
One thing I enjoy about this film is the washed out bliss color pallette. There aren't a lot of modern horror movies willing to just be daytime horror.

Hopefully it can come together. Hereditary had it's moments but really fell into the typical A24/prestige horror trappings. Maybe Aster can show some skill here.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seems to be just like any midsommar party I've ever been to.
Oh Liv Mjönes is in this? Seems to be a couple of recognizable Swedish faces in there.

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I expect lots of alcohol and screwing around in the bushes. Otherwise I am not in!

(Looks awesome)

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Well, it takes place in Hårga:

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hårgadansen

Translate that page and it might hint at parts of the plot I guess.

I think that sounds fucking awesome lol!!

Translated and copied/pasted below

Hårgadansen is a saying about how the devil himself, disguised to the gambler, got the youngsters in the village of Hårga in Hälsingland to dance to death. The oldest known record of the legend is made by the commander in Bollnäs Johan Gabriel Lindström in 1785 and is reproduced in JD Flitenberg's collections about Hälsingland [ 1 ] For the life science researchers, the Horgadansen is a type of sow, which also includes similar sayings associated with other places. [ 2 ]
Hälsingehambon, which is danced every year in July, with almost a thousand participants, begins with a dramatization of the Hårgasägnen on Hårga meadow and there the dance begins to the Hårgalåten and continues for several stages and ends in Kilafors .

It is a late Saturday night and all young people in Hårga have gathered to dance on the lodge . All of a sudden, in the middle of a dance, the music is interrupted and a new player steps out of the shadows. He had a big dark hat on his head and under it one could see a pair of "burning" eyes. The gambler lifted the violinagainst the chin and began to play a song that had never been heard before. All young people immediately started dancing to these new tones. But once they entered the dance, they couldn't stop dancing. The dance continued throughout the night and when dawn arrived, the gambler began to pull out of the lodge. After him, all the dancers followed one. They couldn't stop dancing. The tones of the violin constantly drifted on their feet. While the church bells rang the worship service, the dancing disappeared with the gambler. A girl remained on the dance floor in the lodge. No one had listened to her as she warned them of the gambler, but no one noticed the buck foot that he had when everyone was in the middle of the wildest dance they ever experienced.

The story continues with the gambler leading up the dancers on the Hårgaberget where they danced until only their skeletons were left. Some also say that you can still see the marks from the ring dance on the Hårgaberget, and if you are so brave that you venture out one night when it is full moon it is said that you can hear the music that the devil once played for those who died.

That last paragraph!! I hope it is based on this and I really hope we see some of that imagery in this film.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
It's amazing how horror movies are once again a testing ground for directors to spread their wings creatively. It seems like the genre is always churning out auteurs and innovative techniques.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Bright and overexposed and fulling of creeping violence and moods and all the best things of all my favorite most intense acid trips.

I am here for this. Gonna be wild !

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
tenor.gif

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fantastic. Love the white borders that enhance the sense of overwhelming brightness.

Tranquility

Oct 28, 2017
Not filmed in Sweden, and as a Swede I could tell it wasn't. The buildings and nature are not typically swedish.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
It's amazing how horror movies are once again a testing ground for directors to spread their wings creatively. It seems like the genre is always churning out auteurs and innovative techniques.

It's sort of......... always been that I think. It's status as a niche genre that doesn't need stars or budget has made it a proving ground for lots of directors.

Consider even the American horror landscape of 2000s: The Ring, The Descent, Saw, 28 Days Later, The Others, The Strangers, Drag Me To Hell, Final Destination, Hostel....... even studios were putting out worthwhile, unique shit.

Even the less "prestige" stuff was interesting. Queen of the Damned is NUTS. Freddy vs Jason, which totally worked in it's own way. The Supremely underrated Resident Evil and Silent Hill movies. Off the wall Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre remakes. Found footage stuff.

Ultimately I feel like a little bit of momentum was lost from that generation. Blumhouse took over the entire genre and populist horror became a tiny bit more homogenized. In response, you do have an interesting wave of indie flicks, but I can't help but feel like a lot of them forgot that horror movies should probably be scary. Most of them are just taking horror movie architecture but not really working in the genre at all. The whole One Perfect Shot bullshit way of shooting hasn't helped either.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
hopefully this can keep itself interesting throughout it's entire runtime, unlike hereditary

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I think that sounds fucking awesome lol!!

Translated and copied/pasted below

Hårgadansen is a saying about how the devil himself, disguised to the gambler, got the youngsters in the village of Hårga in Hälsingland to dance to death. The oldest known record of the legend is made by the commander in Bollnäs Johan Gabriel Lindström in 1785 and is reproduced in JD Flitenberg's collections about Hälsingland [ 1 ] For the life science researchers, the Horgadansen is a type of sow, which also includes similar sayings associated with other places. [ 2 ]
Hälsingehambon, which is danced every year in July, with almost a thousand participants, begins with a dramatization of the Hårgasägnen on Hårga meadow and there the dance begins to the Hårgalåten and continues for several stages and ends in Kilafors .

It is a late Saturday night and all young people in Hårga have gathered to dance on the lodge . All of a sudden, in the middle of a dance, the music is interrupted and a new player steps out of the shadows. He had a big dark hat on his head and under it one could see a pair of "burning" eyes. The gambler lifted the violinagainst the chin and began to play a song that had never been heard before. All young people immediately started dancing to these new tones. But once they entered the dance, they couldn't stop dancing. The dance continued throughout the night and when dawn arrived, the gambler began to pull out of the lodge. After him, all the dancers followed one. They couldn't stop dancing. The tones of the violin constantly drifted on their feet. While the church bells rang the worship service, the dancing disappeared with the gambler. A girl remained on the dance floor in the lodge. No one had listened to her as she warned them of the gambler, but no one noticed the buck foot that he had when everyone was in the middle of the wildest dance they ever experienced.

The story continues with the gambler leading up the dancers on the Hårgaberget where they danced until only their skeletons were left. Some also say that you can still see the marks from the ring dance on the Hårgaberget, and if you are so brave that you venture out one night when it is full moon it is said that you can hear the music that the devil once played for those who died.

That last paragraph!! I hope it is based on this and I really hope we see some of that imagery in this film.

The song mentioned on the Wiki page: (possible spoiler)

Kind of matches the creepy song in the trailer if you stretch your imagination juuuust a bit. :p

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Welp just like hereditary i got anxiety just from watching the trailer , day fucking one.

Hereditary was such a rough watch for me , the sound design and cinematography just gave me this crazy uneasy feeling in my stomach. something only The Witch did to me before but not as bad .

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't seen Hereditary but i'm a big fan of the strange thing about the johnsons which ari has directed. Interested in this.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
It would be really cool and incredibly hard to pull off if
at the end of this movie another demon is summoned and we see it alongside Paimon.

Doomshroom

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Små grodorna små grodorna är lustiga att se ej öron ej öron ej svansar have de. Eller hur fan det nu var.... As a Swede i see nothing out of the ordinary.