• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luna V.

Oct 27, 2017
the 'buying into his own hype' sentiment is kinda ridiculous.....considering preproduction on the film was already well under way before Hereditary hit theaters. Heck, he was shooting it like a month or two after Hereditary dropped.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Question about one scene

was there any significance to them watching Austin Powers? Lol

In terms of plot significance, no

In terms of detail
it's to show you they aren't a typical old-timey out-of-touch cult you usually see in "these kinds of films". They do stuff people of this era do that's natural, they just also do this ritual shit. It was simultaneously a comedic moment and a realization moment that there's more to these folk than the antiquated tradition

ed:
the 'buying into his own hype' sentiment is kinda ridiculous.....considering preproduction on the film was already well under way before Hereditary hit theaters. Heck, he was shooting it like a month or two after Hereditary dropped.

Agreed, I'm not even quoting that nonsense because of how baseless and just wrong it feels

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
What does that first statement even mean?

I'll try to find a better way to put it. I would say that Ari Aster is an Auteur, meaning that he has a distinctive style, look, thematic approach, etc. that makes his films immediately distinct. I think all Auteurs have at least a movie or two where these traits that make their films immediately recognizable - and in most cases enjoyable - are amplified to such an extent that they greatly water down the overall experience. I think this captures what I'm trying to say.

I would say a good example of this is Quentin Tarantino. He's known for wearing his influences on his sleeves and referencing / playing homage to the films, directors, and composers that influenced him. Sometimes this serves him well, sometimes its overbearing and waters down the experience. I think Ari Aster is going to have a similar career to someone like David Lynch. With some movies the weirdness, absurdist imagery, and overall trippy mindfuck of a narrative will result in some classic experiences. Other times, it's just not going to work. I thought Midsommar was definitely an example of the latter.

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Did a double feature yesterday, Toy Story 4 followed by Midsommar. Absolutely fell in love with this film and I just cant get it out of my head.

Dani seem's to be such a sympathetic character, standing in the sidelines to those around her. From the beginning we see she has, according to her boyfriend, always "enabled her sister". She's probably been in the shadows of her sister's mental illness, taking responsibility, allowing her sister to always rely on her. Then we see her one sided relationship with Christian, his gaslighting and abuse making her feel like she's clingy, that her birthday doesn't matter. She's the only one who remembers their anniversary (him thinking they had been together for 3.5 years when it was really 4 years, two weeks).

The cult manipulates her, but also provides the thing she seems to have lacked, sympathy and empathy. The cult feels her pain and she is never "to blame". The cult embraces her when she wins the competition, while Christian finds himself distracted by some young thang. He is absent from her life, and despite him always being absent and self absorbed, it is even more glaringly obvious to Dani. The cult has celebrated her and now, she is queen when before she was always catering to others.

This film is just so beautiful; Hereditary was my favorite film as a metaphor for abuse/mental illness/dysfunctional family, but Ari has elevated this metaphor for grief/abuse to another level.

I'm so excited that I've followed this director from the start, and cant wait to see this artist grow.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed the movie.

Did any other The Good Place fans giggle when William Jackson Harper said the word "unethical" and when he went up to his friend and started a sentence with "Hey man," in the exact same way that Eleanor from The Good Place does?

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Did a double feature yesterday, Toy Story 4 followed by Midsommar. Absolutely fell in love with this film and I just cant get it out of my head.

Dani seem's to be such a sympathetic character, standing in the sidelines to those around her. From the beginning we see she has, according to her boyfriend, always "enabled her sister". She's probably been in the shadows of her sister's mental illness, taking responsibility, allowing her sister to always rely on her. Then we see her one sided relationship with Christian, his gaslighting and abuse making her feel like she's clingy, that her birthday doesn't matter. She's the only one who remembers their anniversary (him thinking they had been together for 3.5 years when it was really 4 years, two weeks).

The cult manipulates her, but also provides the thing she seems to have lacked, sympathy and empathy. The cult feels her pain and she is never "to blame". The cult embraces her when she wins the competition, while Christian finds himself distracted by some young thang. He is absent from her life, and despite him always being absent and self absorbed, it is even more glaringly obvious to Dani. The cult has celebrated her and now, she is queen when before she was always catering to others.

This film is just so beautiful; Hereditary was my favorite film as a metaphor for abuse/mental illness/dysfunctional family, but Ari has elevated this metaphor for grief/abuse to another level.

I'm so excited that I've followed this director from the start, and cant wait to see this artist grow.

Maybe it's because I have experience in a similar relationship, but I disagree with the demonizing of Christian.

Yes, Dani is a sympathetic character, but to suggest that she's in the right and Christian is in the wrong with respect to their relationship seems completely at odds with the grey area the film tries to navigate. Speaking from experience, it's emotionally and physically exhausting to have a relationship that is thoroughly defined by mental health issues. When the friend said "that's what he's supposed to be there for" in response to Dani's worry that she's leaning too heavily on Christian, I frankly found that to be bullshit. Similar to how it was unhealthy for Dani to live in the shadows of her sister's mental health issues, and to allow that dynamic to define her - it's completely unhealthy for a relationship to live in the shadows of something similar. The only thing I would fault Christian for in the lead up to their trip to Sweden, is that he lacked the spine to do what needed to be done and break off a relationship that he was clearly not into. It was more an example of growing apart with one person clearly aware but scared to end it, and the other person completely oblivious to what's clear to everyone but them, than some type of one-sided abusive relationship.

Oct 29, 2017
Saw this the other night, and all I really have to say is that it is a fantastic film.

People in the theater laughed at some of the more "awkward" imagery and scenes, those who've seen the film might know which I'm referencing, and it just reminded me of the stupidity of the general moving-going audience.

Excellent, terrifying film.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that prologue was some shit. like hereditary, i can't get this movie out of my head.

i don't think it's a horror movie?

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Maybe it's because I have experience in a similar relationship, but I disagree with the demonizing of Christian.

Yes, Dani is a sympathetic character, but to suggest that she's in the right and Christian is in the wrong with respect to their relationship seems completely at odds with the grey area the film tries to navigate. Speaking from experience, it's emotionally and physically exhausting to have a relationship that is thoroughly defined by mental health issues. When the friend said "that's what he's supposed to be there for" in response to Dani's worry that she's leaning too heavily on Christian, I frankly found that to be bullshit. Similar to how it was unhealthy for Dani to live in the shadows of her sister's mental health issues, and to allow that dynamic to define her - it's completely unhealthy for a relationship to live in the shadows of something similar. The only thing I would fault Christian for in the lead up to their trip to Sweden, is that he lacked the spine to do what needed to be done and break off a relationship that he was clearly not into. It was more an example of growing apart with one person clearly aware but scared to end it, and the other person completely oblivious to what's clear to everyone but them, than some type of one-sided abusive relationship.
I mean, if him constantly gaslighting her throughout the entire film wasnt enough, I think you were supposed to draw your conclusion based on his interactions with his friend regarding the thesis. Dude was a piece of shit. Reluctantly doing what you view as the "right thing" in order to avoid confronting things you're afraid of doesnt make you a good person.

Oct 25, 2017
Boston

Part of me can see that as well, but then you also see Christian behave the same way towards his friends in regard to the thesis topic and inviting Dani along to Sweeden, when she was clearly just trying to talk to him to tell him she was uncomfortable with him not telling her about the trip. He treats his friends similarly to the way he treated Dani.

I'd argue another indication of this was during the initial mushroom trip scene. She did not want to take the mushrooms and told him to please take it, that she was fine with him tripping but wasn't ready to take it herself. When he says he will wait, she clearly felt pressured, afraid to look like the bad guy to his friends.

Personally, I dont think this is about right or wrong, there usually isn't a clear cut right or wrong in any relationship fight, and if someone looks at a disagreement like that, there's never going to be compromise. Ari is able to show the grey areas of that in this film really well.

I still hated Christian and enjoyed his costumed fate.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, if him constantly gaslighting her throughout the entire film wasnt enough, I think you were supposed to draw your conclusion based on his interactions with his friend regarding the thesis. Dude was a piece of shit. Reluctantly doing what you view as the "right thing" in order to avoid confronting things you're afraid of doesnt make you a good person.

And relentlessly using your partner as an emotional crutch doesn't make you a good significant other. I'm not saying that Christian was a good guy (Another example of what you're saying would be him dissassociating himself from his "friend" when accusations were being thrown around), simply that it's a bit disingenuous to the complexity of relationships and this movie to suggest that Dani and Christian's relationship was black and white. She's definitely a lot more self aware of her faults to a degree, and attempts to rectify them though.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gaslighting: The Movie.

220px-Gaslight-1944.jpg

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it kinda broke my heart when he "apologized" to her after she found out he was going and she called him out on it, only for him to threaten to leave and stare at the door. her demeanor totally changed on a dime and she started apologizing to HIM. she killed this performance.

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Thinking about them now, the cult used both Christian and Dani's weaknesses against them to get what they desired.

Through Dani, they gained a queen and a new member by taking advantage of her despair, providing sympathy.

Through Christian, who wanted out of the relationship, clearly wasn't committed, they were able to essentially manipulate, seduce, drug and rape him to have a member bear a child from an outsider.

Although I saw this film yesterday, I'll be watching it again tomorrow. I may take some shrooms before hand. ;)

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
And relentlessly using your partner as an emotional crutch doesn't make you a good significant other. I'm not saying that Christian was a good guy (Another example of what you're saying would be him dissassociating himself from his "friend" when accusations were being thrown around), simply that it's a bit disingenuous to the complexity of relationships and this movie to suggest that Dani and Christian's relationship was black and white. She's definitely a lot more self aware of her faults to a degree, and attempts to rectify them though.
Dude. She was already worried that she was leaning on him too much and he was such a milquetoast piece of shit that he refused to communicate with her about ANY of his feelings. There is literally nothing that Dani could have done to fix the situation. The movie explicitly shows her trying to have a conversation with him about his feelings and he gaslights and steamrolls right through it.

Oct 27, 2017
it kinda broke my heart when he "apologized" to her after she found out he was going and she called him out on it, only for him to threaten to leave and stare at the door. her demeanor totally changed on a dime and she started apologizing to HIM. she killed this performance.

Yea, I definitely felt for her. He was a pretty huge douche so the end was a no-brainer to me.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
when that old dude at the table during the may queen dinner clapped i felt that. when they tried to make her eat a whole herring i also felt that.

i just want to live in the dancing ritual scene forever.

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Dude. She was already worried that she was leaning on him too much and he was such a milquetoast piece of shit that he refused to communicate with her about ANY of his feelings. There is literally nothing that Dani could have done to fix the situation. The movie explicitly shows her trying to have a conversation with him about his feelings and he gaslights and steamrolls right through it.
Totally, I felt she was extremely calm when she tried to talk to him about it. I'd be so pissed if I were at a party and everyone knew my partner was going on a trip for a month and a half for two weeks when I had now Idea. How embarrassing. This scene takes place at least 4 months after the murders and she was so calm and collected when she tried to bring this up to him. Him trying to walk out, causing her to apologize, classic gaslighting. I've experienced abuse and gaslighting of this nature. My current boyfriend and I are in individual and couples therapy and he (who has done that exact thing) immediately recognized it.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

They were in a relationship for 4 years. When he answered that he was in a relationship 3 and a half years, when it was actually 4 years and two weeks? That was the director telling you that Christian had emotionally checked out of that relationship A LONG time ago. Yes, Dani was self aware of the fact that she relied too heavily on Christian and tried to rectify that fact, but it was clearly too late and the damage had been done. I do agree that Christian was spineless though. Falling out of love with someone is okay, but he should have had the backbone to talk it out or break things off.

Also, I'll just say that there was only one person in this relationship who was an accessory to Murder, with their motive being their significant other no longer loving them and being drugged and raped.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think my gf mentioned more animal ritual stuff and a river scene from the leaked script and then i asked her why she read a leaked script for a movie she wanted to see

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Just left it, did not like it I'm afraid.

Hereditary was good but I wasn't totally feeling this one.

access tv

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of my thoughts re: Midsommar, I'm already 100% down for whatever Aster makes next. Nobody is making films like he is right now.

I'm glad Midsommar was made, despite its perceived flaws.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
They were in a relationship for 4 years. When he answered that he was in a relationship 3 and a half years, when it was actually 4 years and two weeks? That was the director telling you that Christian had emotionally checked out of that relationship A LONG time ago. Yes, Dani was self aware of the fact that she relied too heavily on Christian and tried to rectify that fact, but it was clearly too late and the damage had been done. I do agree that Christian was spineless though. Falling out of love with someone is okay, but he should have had the backbone to talk it out or break things off.

Also, I'll just say that there was only one person in this relationship who was an accessory to Murder, with their motive being their significant other no longer loving them and being drugged and raped.
I mean if "at least he didn't kill anyone" is even on your radar here I think you're missing the point. Abuse is abuse, regardless of whether or not it's intended or whether it's a byproduct of being spineless.

I'm not trying to argue that Christian deserved his fate, I'm just saying that in the context of their relationship troubles, Christian was clearly at fault and Dani was not.

Like, the first thing he does when he finds out he forgot his girlfriend's birthday is try to convince her that he didn't forget. Textbook gaslighting.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate the casting of a Seth Rogen lookalike since it is kind of a
Knocked Up
parody.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
see this, but gaze longingly at the cardboard cutout of Jake Gyllenhaal in the lobby.

ant1532

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this scarier than hereditary? Yay or nay? \

I respect hereditary but the grieving scenes and the situation with the daughter is just TOO much for me.. saw it twice and got a panic attack the second time.

Luna V.

Oct 27, 2017

The film's opening (~15 minutes) hits the same level of sheer dread as those elements of Hereditary but I'd say this overall isn't even really a horror film (and I say that as someone who loved it). It feels more like a fairy tale....granted, the old-school fairy tales with fucked up imagery...but definitely a different ballpark than Hereditary's all-consuming darkness and claustrophobia.

Edit: As the director himself put it, it's like a "Wizard of Oz for perverts" haha.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wouldn't call it scary but it, the prologue especially, will fuck you up. there's a lot of unsettling imagery.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what the hell was with the
Oracle literally sitting on a cloud during the last scene. i loved that. incest dude was literally god to them.

ant1532

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ok ok . i think i can handle. the never-ending darkness and claustrophobia was too much for me in hereditary yeah. Rosemarys Baby also has that claustrophobic theme going for it which is also panic inducing for me lol

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's so beautiful to look at. that's pleasant. i like Spiderman and i wanna see that movie but classifying this movie as a bad time is misleading.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
For those who've seen the movie and read the early leaked script, any changes between the two?

Before they arrive to the village they find a tree with a bunch of boar corpses hanging
Dani overall is more skeptic of the whole thing way earlier
After the suicide ritual theres a ritual where they have 9 animals hanging from their ankles while alive and they slice their throats and we see them struggle while they bleed to death, this ritual is what makes the British couple lose their shit
Theres another ritual where they almost throw a kid into a lake but they stop at the last second
They explain the pubes and menstruation spell by having the villagers and the characters watch a black and white silent movie where a girl performs the spell.
Dani and Christian have a big argument in the middle of the script that i dont remember being in the movie
i think there were more scenes of pelle trying to groom dani in the script

Thats all i remember from memory, there might be more

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i loved the subtle effects in this movie. instead of wasting money on computerized gore effects he used pretty visuals to enhance everything that WASN'T the gore. dude's whole tea drinking trip was amazing.

even putting aside the obvious stuff like the roots and the trees and the eyes, there were more subtle moments that i really appreciated. her throne and her crown were great.

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I just came back from seeing this and I think I liked it, but it was definitely a step down from Hereditary. I thought that film better balanced the sadness and horror.

Midsommar dealt with the theme of loss well enough (mainly through the lead actress's performance) but I don't think it delved deep enough to get as great of a reaction from me. It's also not scary at all. Not that Hereditary was much scary either, but when it had those moments, it worked. Midsommar is firmly planted into the tone of uncomfortable.

You have this creepy cult like community, a character struggling with the loss of family, and friendships/relationships completely deteriorating. While hard to sit through, on that level it works. I just wish it was a little more consistent throughout the entire running time.

It's a long film. I was left bored through parts of it. I don't know what could have been cut out though. Maybe it's just that the material isn't strong or original enough to make up for its running time.

It also had that traditional horror movie problem of characters being written as complete idiots at times for the plot to move forward.

Visually I was impressed, which is no surprise coming from this director. Great framing and a great use of psychedelic imagery to simulate the bad trips these characters go through. Undoubtedly the best aspect of the film next to the music.

I don't know if I can say I liked Midsommar but I at least appreciate what Aster was going for and how he approached the material. I just wish there was more to the material than what was there.

Last edited:

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh, sorry.

when the
old man
clapped
or when the
boyfriend
apologized
i felt that.

just watch a movie if you want to. i want to talk about it with people. nothing i said even remotely approached spoiling anything.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoyed it, shame the film is too long and strange to suggest it to anyone I know in real life :(

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Aster has this way of capturing domestic drama that feels raw, uncomfortable, and unflattering, but also still cinematic and detached from reality. Real but also very much heightened in a way that only horror movies can do. It's different from, say how Sean Baker or the Dardennes portray their naturalistic drama. It reminds me of how Kubrick meshed the domestic terror with the supernatural terror in The Shining. Like Jack is so larger-than-life as a villain but also believably terrifying as an abusive husband/father.

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
In terms of plot significance, no

In terms of detail
it's to show you they aren't a typical old-timey out-of-touch cult you usually see in "these kinds of films". They do stuff people of this era do that's natural, they just also do this ritual shit. It was simultaneously a comedic moment and a realization moment that there's more to these folk than the antiquated tradition

I assumed it was to emphasise that the community
weren't totally cut off from the outside world or technology. They still access modern media produced outside of the community and are happy for the children to engage with it.

Perhaps there's something more to it, but that's all I read from the line.

yeah that makes sense. And it became clear in the beginning they weren't completely isolationist since they rely on members to go to the outside world to gather new members/victims :( Really loving this movie more and more I think about it

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

I respect hereditary but the grieving scenes and the situation with the daughter is just TOO much for me.. saw it twice and got a panic attack the second time.

So, traditionally, no it's not. I don't think there's even two jump scares the whole film

But it's very unsettling and creepy nearly throughout the duration, and your second paragraph makes me think this is going to be a lot

Giving nothing away, it provides the most authentic experience I can think of of the time I had my first panic attack, and the grieving Toni Collette went through in that section of Hereditary is nothing like what and how much Florence Pugh portrays throughout here