• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
yeah that makes sense. And it became clear in the beginning they weren't completely isolationist since they rely on members to go to the outside world to gather new members/victims :( Really loving this movie more and more I think about it
I think without that particular line it leaves open the possibility of assuming that although some members go out, the rest/majority still largely detached from the outside world, whereas that line removes that possibility and makes it clear it's seemingly accepted within the community as a whole.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this the other night, and all I really have to say is that it is a fantastic film.

People in the theater laughed at some of the more "awkward" imagery and scenes, those who've seen the film might know which I'm referencing, and it just reminded me of the stupidity of the general moving-going audience.

Excellent, terrifying film.

I laughed at that scene. Absurdity makes the best comedy. I don't think it's stupidity of the general audience to chuckle at not only the absurdity to be in that situation but also the character's facial expressions showing that he's aware that it's absurd.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this the other night, and all I really have to say is that it is a fantastic film.

People in the theater laughed at some of the more "awkward" imagery and scenes, those who've seen the film might know which I'm referencing, and it just reminded me of the stupidity of the general moving-going audience.

That sex scene was intentionally hilarious as hell and I will die on this hill. Aster knew exactly what he was doing and it was a laugh riot.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
That sex scene was intentionally hilarious as hell and I will die on this hill. Aster knew exactly what he was doing and it was a laugh riot.
I also agree, and the 2nd time I saw Hereditary in theaters people were laughing hysterically at the the last 15 minutes of the movie. I'd agree if they were talking about that, but the sex scene was entirely purposeful

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Unlike Hereditary which ended up just being funny because of how bad it got at the end, this knew it and I enjoyed it all the more for it. I fucking loved this. Could have cut half an hour, but it does so much well.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the movie.

I'm with the side that argues this movie is not black and white. And it's definitely not Gaslight: The Movie.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017

It's kinda weird to watch certain moments without finding it funny. The thought of someone still with a straight face after a certain moment is hilarious for me.

As said, it is obviously intentional.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I saw this completely blind yesterday. It was wildly awesome and haunting. I couldn't stand the laughter in the theater I was in...some dude was guffawing through a lot of the movie. That slowed down as it wore on, but I didn't let it ruin my experience. I had no idea what this movie was about going in to it, and it really stayed with me. I can't stop thinking about it.

Oct 26, 2017
I still can't put my finger on what I didn't like this about this film. I really want to love it, because some of the imagery is gorgeous, and the acting is top fucking notch. I came out really, really disliking it though. I'm still trying to put my finger on what it was though.

It's kinda weird to watch certain moments without finding it funny. The thought of someone still with a straight face after a certain moment is hilarious for me.

As said, it is obviously intentional.
I went with 2 others, and they both lost it in the last 5 minutes when
you see Christian in the bear suit
There was something funny and pathetic about his face in that damn thing.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So maybe this is obvious but I think the main theme of this film is Empathy.

Dani is a highly empathic person. Christian has sympathy but he lacks empathy. His friends lack both (with one dubious exception).

The cult's rituals show the people of the commune seeming to experience the pain or joy of the people they focus their attentions on.

Whether that be the physical pain of the sacrificed, Dani's emotional pain or the orgasmic pleasure of sex. They do that breathing thing and they seem to share those feelings together.

At the end

Dani smiles because she knows her pain and trauma is shared and felt by everyone around her.

Meanwhile

The outside visitors lack empathy for Dani and the whole commune, frequently disrespecting both. They predictably get what's coming to them.

However, I think it's particularly important that Chris is burned alive, paralyzed, with no pain-relieving drug, finally forced to feel the pain and agony that Dani feels every day.

Empathy is the most important element of a relationship so it makes sense considering this is a break-up film.

Last edited:

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone catch what kind of medicine Dani took in the first 15 minutes of the movie?

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
there's a good interview with Ari Aster here, and one of the things that stood out to me was the discussion of the different cuts of the film, with the original cut being 3 hours 45 minutes.

https://www.slashfilm.com/ari-aster-interview-midsommar/

I'd heard a rumor that your preferred cut was longer than the theatrical one. Is that true, and what was in that that didn't quite make the theatrical version?

I would say my preferred cut would have been maybe 25 minutes longer, but I actually feel like this cut is the most accessible cut. There probably will exist a director's cut, and I would not actually call the director's cut necessarily better. I would say, 'This is the cut with scenes that were very painful for me to cut that I might have not cut if I weren't encouraged to keep pushing.' But [the theatrical version] is definitely an approved cut. I had final cut on the film, and I'm very proud of what we arrived at. But yes, I would say, the three-hour and forty-five minute cut, I would never want anybody to watch. I would say there's a two-hour and forty-five minute cut, without credits, that I would be interested in what people thought.

Oct 26, 2017
New York
So I was just checking out the trivia section on IMDb and came across this little tidbit

William Jackson Harper is the only American actor in the film. Jack Reynor, although born in Colorado, is Irish, Florence Pugh is British, and Will Poulter is British. All other supporting actors are either Swedish, British, or Hungarian.

Goddamn I never would've guessed. On top of all the mains giving such stellar performances, I never thought for a second that they weren't all American actors. Very authentic.

May 10, 2018
Well after this and Hereditary I can say that from a visual and acting standpoint I enjoy Aster's films. From a story/narrative perspective, nah not for me.

Similarly to Hereditary I found myself checking out towards the end and just waiting for it to be over.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus that was a slog. Dumbest main characters ive seen since an 80s horror flick. Had some cool imagery but thats it. Ok my guy i gave you a second shot but your ass is bluray rental status. My crew and I didn't dig it

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Found it too long and too obvious with its themes. I got an image of the director being like the Chidi dude asking all sorts of questions about the rituals to write his project/film, then being like "ok and let's add some brains and gore".

I really liked Hereditary so this was disappointing

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some dude seriously brought his fucking kid into our showing, he gave him crayons to color with or some shit, then they left 10 mins later, wtf

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this! It was fantastic, but I'm really glad to read there will likely be a longer cut released at some point. That was the first thing I said after the movie this morning was that it felt like some stuff was missing.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
i think this film is going to be a really good barometer of whether someone has good taste in movies or not
The movie can be the most immaculately constructed piece of cinema ever. If the style of horror or humor (this goes for both comedies and horror) doesn't click with someone, it doesn't click. Has nothing do with taste in film and everything to do with what one finds scary/unsettling/funny/etc and how acclimated they are to the techniques of the genre. Horror and comedy are probably the most subjective genres out there.

Now, on the other hand, whether or not someone sees this and then tries to say it's not a horror movie or doesn't fit in the horror genre...

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
The movie can be the most immaculately constructed piece of cinema ever. If the style of horror or humor (this goes for both comedies and horror) doesn't click with someone, it doesn't click. Has nothing do with taste in film and everything to do with what one finds scary/unsettling/funny/etc and how acclimated they are to the techniques of the genre. Horror and comedy are probably the most subjective genres out there.

Now, on the other hand, whether or not someone sees this and then tries to say it's not a horror movie or doesn't fit in the horror genre...
a barometer for whether their tastes click with mine that's all! not some sort of objective measure of cinema!

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Hereditary was one of my favorite pics that year, but this did not click with me one bit

The beginning showed promise, that shocking early scene before the trip had me excited for that tangible sense of terror that was done so well in Hereditary, but then it didn't happen.

I felt there was way too much of a slow burn with this one, and there was never any pay off. Sure, there's a few disturbing images, but nothing close to THAT scene or the last thirty minutes of Hereditary.

Florence Pugh turned in great work, as did most of the cult, but I thought the rest of the performances were either dull, like Jack Reynor, or annoying, like the comic relief friend.

I was expecting to be shocked and disturbed like i was watching Hereditary, instead I was just bored.

This and Godzilla are the biggest disappointments of the year for me.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this and Godzilla are the biggest disappointments of the year? Jesus, that dude is huge. gonna reconsider recommending this now.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
How can you be born in a nation and be another nation? Unless they mean he was born in Colorado and raised in Ireland

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
How can you be born in a nation and be another nation? Unless they mean he was born in Colorado and raised in Ireland
are you talking about how they called her swedish?

my whole family is norwegian but it's been 4 generations since they came over to the us on the boat

it's pretty common to say 'im German/Finnish/russian etc.' people know you're american that part is assumed, they're talking about where their family was originally from

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Man. I'm not sure what to think. Loved the main actresses performance. But, and this may be reductive, if you strip down the beauty and originality of the eeriness, it's essentially
guy tricks friends to go to crazy cult
, the movie. Which isn't all too original.

Nov 13, 2017
Too lazy to copy pasta my post from the box office thread, but I didn't enjoy this movie.

Can we talk about how everything that happened before the title card really had no purpose aside from making you feel bad for the main character? You could cut that entirely, and the brief hallucination she has of it, and the movie would still be the same. It's like the writers completely forgot about it.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, that whole conversation was such a great characterization moment. i also loved her phone calls at the beginning.. she had a lot going on. brilliantly acted.

Apr 21, 2018
Too lazy to copy pasta my post from the box office thread, but I didn't enjoy this movie.

Can we talk about how everything that happened before the title card really had no purpose aside from making you feel bad for the main character? You could cut that entirely, and the brief hallucination she has of it, and the movie would still be the same. It's like the writers completely forgot about it.

I dunno, her smile at the end was her first genuine smile the entire movie. I found value in that. She lost her family and found a new one in the end!

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
are you talking about how they called her swedish?

my whole family is norwegian but it's been 4 generations since they came over to the us on the boat

it's pretty common to say 'im German/Finnish/russian etc.' people know you're american that part is assumed, they're talking about where their family was originally from
I think he's talking about the actor who played Christian who was born in the States but is on Wikipedia as an American-born Irish actor.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
God was that bf a piece of shit. Like, her calling him out that his apology was essentially a 'too bad' hit home for me.
All of the early relationship stuff with the friends felt so realistic to me.

The audience in my theater mostly hated this movie. Someone said "thank god" when the movie ended and the chatter afterwards was not positive. I didn't absolutely love it, I think it starts very strongly and kind of loses its way in the last 3rd.

The movie was best for me when it was like a nightmare to the lead when she was pointing out all the things that didn't make sense but it fell on deaf ears because the academics were too inquisitive about the rituals and didn't want to judge them.

I don't see how you could read that scene any other way.

Nov 13, 2017
Also:

tumblr_n6b9f8HgWV1qfx9mto5_r3_250.gif