• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I just got back from the theaters and Midsommar was really good! I think it's a little longer than it justifies and most of the acting is merely serviceable, but it's a testament to the screenplay that I found this easily one of the "Cult Suspense" genre's best. The concept of a community that illustrates its unity by sharing its intense emotions in harmony symbolizing empathy is fantastic.

I've never watched Hereditary, but I will do so first thing tonight!

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
I just got back from the theaters and Midsommar was really good! I think it's a little longer than it justifies and most of the acting is merely serviceable, but it's a testament to the screenplay that I found this easily one of the "Cult Suspense" genre's best. The concept of a community that illustrates its unity by sharing its intense emotions in harmony symbolizing empathy is fantastic.

I've never watched Hereditary, but I will do so first thing tonight!
You're in for a ride.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone notice
the window in the sanctuary is a little off to the right
? Or maybe it was just me, but I swear I checked several times while watching the film and am certain it's off. Something off in a perfect display of symmetry mirroring the community perhaps?

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
They come around 1-3 times during the movie and the only eating noise you hear is the monsterous way you may personally eat.

I saw it opening night at the draft house and I noticed the waiters maybe once or twice. Full house too. Crowd was pretty cool and respectful, but that's the way it is at that place in my experience. They don't fuck around at the draft house

Elliot Pudge

Oct 25, 2017
i thought heriditary was a much stronger movie personally

imo the movie kinda caps off in insanity early on and then slows down waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Era, I need your help! I want to take my boyfriend to go see this, but he's scarred by Hereditary (the latter half of which was probably a bit too horror-y for him).

So how scary / horror-ish is this movie compared to Hereditary and other movies? For reference, he really enjoyed The Witch (which is more of a drama with horror trappings imo).

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Era, I need your help! I want to take my boyfriend to go see this, but he's scarred by Hereditary (the latter half of which was probably a bit too horror-y for him).

So how scary / horror-ish is this movie compared to Hereditary and other movies? For reference, he really enjoyed The Witch (which is more of a drama with horror trappings imo).

Way less horror then Hereditary. It's retry much on the same level as The Witch.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017

There's a lot of horrific shit in this movie and they don't shy away from it at all. It's also tense as all hell from minute one.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
1. 2.5 hours FLEW by

2. The relationship stuff... really hit home and had me close to a panic attack

3. Which leads me to... they perfectly captured a bad trip in this movie.. it was relentless from 30 minutes in onward

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I fucking loved the cinematography so much, especially the psychedelic compositions.

There's nothing supernatural in this movie. It's more about human evil than supernatural evil so it's not really scary.

Last edited:

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Is there a ton of gore in the movie? I know there is some, but is it a major element, or is it more of a thriller?

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
Oooo are we complaining about our audiences?

The second row in my theater had some d-bags whispering a lot, and I ended up shushing them and they shushed back, but then shut up. This was maybe a 1/3 to half way in. Then I guess decided they had enough and decided to leave the movie. In the process though apparently they lost a phone in the seats, so one of them came back once, sloshing his cup around to get it out of the cup holder so he could lift the seat up to check under it and the seat next to it, didn't find the phone, asked for an attendant to help, which came in quickly checked in the cushion, and then likely told them they are out of luck until after the film, and they just sat in the hallway until the movie was over. Ridiculous. I normally don't even run into this type of situation. Also a lot of people needed to pee during this movie. Probably half the auditorium at different times.

Mar 29, 2018
Did anyone notice
the window in the sanctuary is a little off to the right
? Or maybe it was just me, but I swear I checked several times while watching the film and am certain it's off. Something off in a perfect display of symmetry mirroring the community perhaps?
I actually think this might have been due to the construction. I think the construction is slightly pivoted/rotated a few degrees off centre. Apparently they only had 2 months to film the whole thing out near Budapest, so could have been a minor misjudgement in the building which made it off-centre. Definitely threw me a little bit during the movie.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually had a really great audience with this at a Regal.

When I saw Heridatary at this same theater, people were making the same noise Charlie was, but once she died everyone took the movie seriously.

Mar 29, 2018
Is there a ton of gore in the movie? I know there is some, but is it a major element, or is it more of a thriller?
Like Hereditary, the scariest stuff is the build up and tension and cinematography and editing; which features basically no gore in this film.

But the couple of times there is proper gore? It's horrific.

This is nowhere near as full-horror as Hereditary. As you said, it's more a drama with horror trappings.

Hereditary crams a solid 10 real serious horror scenes in there, mostly in the back half; whereas Midsommar more only has a couple of those, more evenly spread, and is mostly tension.

However - you feel like that real serious horror shit is gonna happen any second. It's still intense even if there's very little actual horror in there.

Oct 26, 2017
New York
My audience was surprisingly quiet for the most part. Even more shocking is that it was packed on a weekday afternoon.

The only time most of the theater started visibly reacting was during that one sex scene. Tons of laughter. I might've been one of two people who didn't find it funny and was completely uncomfortable by it.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Saw this over the weekend, loved it. I didn't find it as harrowing as Hereditary, but the atmosphere is off the charts. Definitely a lot more intentional humor sprinkled throughout.

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
my theater didn't really have an "audience"---it was just me and my friend and an older couple in the back. They hated it lol

anthro

Oct 28, 2017
Felt like a slasher with less pursuits, better jokes and the increasingly characteristic motifs of Aster. You have lots of gut wrenching screaming out of grief, you've got a tragedy the main character is struggling with, occult elements that take on a really playful/colorful medieval tone, a couple of shots that I've noticed him enjoy a lot like having a face lit from below with blue light,
decoratively displayed corpses

It was good, but the sense of dread definitely seemed less impactful than Hereditary. The front loading of the tragedy in the story as well as what again seemed like a nod to slasher tropes of having most of the endangered characters be very unsympathetic made it feel as though it wasn't trying to just be "Hereditary 2" though, and him reporting that he doesn't want to do horror again for a while seems like it affirms the idea that he wasn't looking to just make another Hereditary (even if he can't help continuing to explore similar kinds of grief).

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Much better than Hereditary, but I felt it started to get a bit tiresome towards the end.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I felt bad bringing my roommate to see this. She hated it and gave it a -10/10 and wished she could delete it from her memory.

I actually liked it, but can't say I enjoyed it. I know it wasn't meant to be enjoyed though. It was meant to be felt, but not in a good way, and some people just can't enjoy movies like that.

I'm glad I saw it, though I can't exactly tell you why, and I don't think I know a single friend or family member who would have said the same.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My audience had people of course burst out laughing when the dude's full frontal dong was exposed. Then when the credits started rolling and everyone was getting up, loud group behind me yelled out "WORST 2.5 HOURS OF MY ENTIRE LIFE" etc etc.

The 2019 theater is literally the worst way to experience any movie of worth IMO. If you don't think so you probably need a better TV.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I don't think it was very good, but I think Ari Aster is going to need some weird confluence of events to make a good movie. He obviously has interesting ideas (and can pick the hell out of a DP) but he doesn't really much have an eye and all of his movies are 40 minutes too long. He's really up his own ass in terms of pacing.

I honestly think some studio forcing him to do an 85 minute franchise horror is his best case scenario. Rein in his flaws a bit and let him just go wild with the setpieces.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
This movie confirmed a lot of suspicions I had about Aster as far as his storytelling sensibilities. Perhaps it's a personal preferences, but I am really turned off by the over-explanation of things in his two features. Mainly It makes things....less scary If that makes sense?

Overall, like Hereditary, I think I love his intent behind the movie more than the movie itself. We don't often get attempts at horror like this.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
tf else is an audience supposed to do with that sex scene except for laugh.

she starts pushin him I was rolling

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

I found it very disturbing/horrific. Scary probably isn't the right word, but there are scary parts.
Even the first 10 mins, there is stuff that could give you nightmares.
HOSE FACE

tf else is an audience supposed to do with that sex scene except for laugh.

she starts pushin him I was rolling

Yeah, we chuckled at this part as well. I think that's an intentional laugh there though.

Mar 29, 2018
This movie confirmed a lot of suspicions I had about Aster as far as his storytelling sensibilities. Perhaps it's a personal preferences, but I am really turned off by the over-explanation of things in his two features. Mainly It makes things....less scary If that makes sense?

Overall, like Hereditary, I think I love his intent behind the movie more than the movie itself. We don't often get attempts at horror like this.
What was the over-explanation in this?

The over-explanation at the end of Hereditary is thematically important - it's nothing to do with the plot or backstory.

The core theme of Hereditary is "generational coercion". How one generation's teachings, behaviours, health issues, are forced on the next. The huge monologue at the end takes this theme and overtly crushes it into the Rosemary's Baby cult-type context, with a cult telling the next generation (the son) precisely what he is and what his lineage has brought him into.

There's a reason it's so ridiculously hamfisted.

I have other issues with his storytelling, but over-exposition isn't one of them. The really important stuff (about theme and core characters) have to be pulled together by the viewer.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Oooo are we complaining about our audiences?

The second row in my theater had some d-bags whispering a lot, and I ended up shushing them and they shushed back, but then shut up. This was maybe a 1/3 to half way in. Then I guess decided they had enough and decided to leave the movie. In the process though apparently they lost a phone in the seats, so one of them came back once, sloshing his cup around to get it out of the cup holder so he could lift the seat up to check under it and the seat next to it, didn't find the phone, asked for an attendant to help, which came in quickly checked in the cushion, and then likely told them they are out of luck until after the film, and they just sat in the hallway until the movie was over. Ridiculous. I normally don't even run into this type of situation. Also a lot of people needed to pee during this movie. Probably half the auditorium at different times.
On the other hand, I was the only one in the theater. It was a dream come true.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I love when I caught Pel's brother
introducing himself to each character perfectly while he only shook and stared at one of them while doing so.

To explain, there's Dani, Christian, Mark and Josh. When Pel first introduces him to one of the guys (I forgot to who), he looks at only that person while Pel continues down the list while pointing each person out. However, when Pel's brother is done shaking hands he goes to the other side of the line and says the names out of order. Remember Dani (Danny) is a name that could be a guy or a girl's name, though obviously the others aren't. The fact that he had no issue at all picking back up means he knew who they all were ahead of time.
Great touch.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Got to this last night finally.

Enjoyed it, even though I thought it was a much weaker film overall compared to Hereditary. I thought it has an absolutely fantastic first 1/3 and premise, and then by the middle it started to drag and it never really found it's footing. Aside from one or two unsettling moments, the entire second half felt really flat for me.

Ari sure knows how to get his lead actress' to really perfect those guttural howls of anguish. Damn.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe at first. But when I thought about it and realized

he was raped,

it's not funny anymore.
d819c7fdda02081a5dfda1465e09e2e8.gif

aSniperJones

Oct 26, 2017
District of Columbia
Everything from the
death leap
prior was great, after that everything was uneventful, especially in comparison. Didn't really enjoy it, the second half really just dragged and drained me.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I thought it was a big step down from Hereditary as far as a movie goes. It felt like Hereditary did a lot more with a lot less while this did a lot less with a lot more. Was extremely slow to ramp up and dragged a lot. So many movies I see I feel like are bloated and would be better shorter and more focused.

Also this movie felt A LOT like the Wicker Man which I just saw recently. A lot of similarity there.