• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked most of it but the ending ehhh. I'm sure you can find out a bunch of shit from the runes and stuff but I dont really care to look for that as it's not that interesting to me to begin with.

Fucking beautiful though and like a step below Lars von Trier for content warning

Edit - remembered that something about Johnson's the director made before hereditary and hes basically there with bon Trier already

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Just got out. There's a lot to chew on but I'd say I really enjoyed it, possibly more than Hereditary.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ajl4fWU.jpg
Hell YEAH

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
This shyt was fire. Right up there with Hereditary.
All in for the NC-17 extended edition.

I hope they show the deaths of other characters in the extension..

But then again..

Spoilers

Its strangely even more haunting when you leave it to the imagination.. the screams of the girl who "got a ride home" .. we can only imagine what they did to her.
That guy from London fucking disappeared and the next time we saw him he was hanging, lungs and intestines gutted, eyes plucked out and still alive.. breathing, being eaten by crows in his back.

That was fucking horrifying. It wasn't as powerful as the Hereditary crash scene, but it stayed with me longer, surprisingly.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Oh man, I hope we get to see more of the deaths.

Apparently a lot of the off screen deaths were cut to maintain the R rating, so I'd expect we'd be seeing those in the extended version. That said, I kind of liked that most of the truly horrific stuff is never shown... it's like a slasher movie where nobody's actually being chased.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
I really feel like we're missing a scene with the English couple, which would hopefully be part of the director's cut.

I really didn't get the sense that their fate was in any way "deserved" the way the others could seem. The movie has a fairy tale vibe going on where we see the characters cut down as a twisted karmic "punishment" - Mark pisses on the ancestral tree, Josh takes pictures of the book after being explcitly told not to, Christian is Christian, etc. But Simon and Connie's only crime is reacting with horror to the elders' suicides, which doesn't seem proportionate to getting blood-eagled and... whatever happened to Connie.

They're all there explicitly to get sacrificed so it's not like there needs to be a reason behind it, but to fit that fairy tale feel it seems like there needed to be another step there.
We don't know a lot about them because they are not part of Pelle's social circle. The British couple probably could be protagonists of their own horror movie. And they were being a little dickish with Ingmar.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Re: Ingmar, Connie and Simon.
I wonder if Ingmar still felt hard done by Connie chosing Simon over him when he went out on that first date with Connie. Some long term revenge shit. Not that the brutal kills are part of it, but that he knew they would be part of the sacrifice at the end.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
My audience had people of course burst out laughing when the dude's full frontal dong was exposed. Then when the credits started rolling and everyone was getting up, loud group behind me yelled out "WORST 2.5 HOURS OF MY ENTIRE LIFE" etc etc.

The 2019 theater is literally the worst way to experience any movie of worth IMO. If you don't think so you probably need a better TV.
That really depends on what kind of audiences you get. Personally, I can't recall the last time I've had a bad audience. They're either quiet, or have great reactions for a blockbuster/horror movie, or non-existent because it's a matinee and/or a movie that doesn't draw crowds

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Re: Ingmar, Connie and Simon.
I wonder if Ingmar still felt hard done by Connie chosing Simon over him when he went out on that first date with Connie. Some long term revenge shit. Not that the brutal kills are part of it, but that he knew they would be part of the sacrifice at the end.
Both of them don't seem to hold Ingmar in high regard.
Connie quickly distanced herself from Ingmar, and Simon joked about having Ingmar to officiate.

Dec 4, 2017
London
I saw this on Saturday and I still can't quite decide whether I really like it or whether it was a little on the disappointing side.

I generally love slow-burns where all the little vague things that seem a little off in a situation gradually build into something more tangible and terrifying. I'm just not sure it reached a satisfying crescendo in this case and I can't quite put my finger on why.

I keep mentally comparing it to mother! and Kill List which share certain characteristics but treat them very differently, and think I find it a little lacking compared to both. I'll be interested to see whether the rumoured additional material helps it land the ending a little better.

Florence Pugh was incredible though.

Mar 29, 2018
Edit - remembered that something about Johnson's the director made before hereditary and hes basically there with bon Trier already
What?
Weird ass movie to be honest... Me and my date didn't like it.
Why would you take a date to see this lmao

I thought it was bloody because it was her first time?
Fix your spoiler tag

And yeah you're right
Its strangely even more haunting when you leave it to the imagination.. the screams of the girl who "got a ride home" .. we can only imagine what they did to her.
That guy from London fucking disappeared and the next time we saw him he was hanging, lungs and intestines gutted, eyes plucked out and still alive.. breathing, being eaten by crows in his back.
I don't think he was alive. I think that was the mushrooms making his lungs pulsate/move from Christian's point of view.

If I'm wrong - fuck

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So I didn't know this thread existed and made a thread on the movie last night:

Anyway I still think the opening scenes are the best in the film even if some of the later tripping scenes are really well done. The thing that stuck with me most when going to sleep is the imagery of the hose/tube duct taped to terri's mouth and then the crying afterwards, that shit was daaaaark.

But there's also this

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I really feel like we're missing a scene with the English couple, which would hopefully be part of the director's cut.

I really didn't get the sense that their fate was in any way "deserved" the way the others could seem. The movie has a fairy tale vibe going on where we see the characters cut down as a twisted karmic "punishment" - Mark pisses on the ancestral tree, Josh takes pictures of the book after being explcitly told not to, Christian is Christian, etc. But Simon and Connie's only crime is reacting with horror to the elders' suicides, which doesn't seem proportionate to getting blood-eagled and... whatever happened to Connie.

They're all there explicitly to get sacrificed so it's not like there needs to be a reason behind it, but to fit that fairy tale feel it seems like there needed to be another step there.

They aren't all there just for sacrifice, there was also the mating thing, but I guess with those who are not white, yeah they were there purely for sacrifice. As for Christian, I'm not sure its all about being deserved since he could have lived if Dani chose to let him live. I'm not sure what would happen if she did chose to spare him though. I mean, they can't let him go and he is never going to be part of the society so I guess it will be a life in confinement? At the end, maybe it was the only logical ending for Christian.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Gang.

I'm a few drinks in and it just hit me.

The cult groups personification of the main actress's pain was a means for her to be granted the third person perspective of her mistreatment that she was previously deprived of because of her deep isolation from others as a result of the shitty people surrounding her. She was able to look into a 'mirror' and witness that person be hurt, neglected, and abused. She was so deep in it that she did not have the perspective required to determine that she deserved better- that everyone deserves better.

Good shit

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
One of the worst movies I've seen in cinema. Talented director, for sure. The movie is beautiful. But he needs to use this talent to make a good movie instead of only relying on shock value.

It was ridiculous. The theater was laughing all the time. Me and my friends were laughing, too.

And I don't think that was intentional...

Dec 4, 2017
London
One of the worst movies I've seen in cinema. Talented director, for sure. The movie is beautiful. But he needs to use this talent to make a good movie instead of only relying on shock value.

It was ridiculous. The theater was laughing all the time. Me and my friends were laughing, too.

I don't know which bits your theatre specifically laughed at but some of it's definitely intentional at least.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
During the screaming and the singing.It was so stupid. Me and my friend were constantly looking at each other during or after a stupid scene and we started to laugh. My friend sometime uncontrollably.

And it wasn't a relief laugh that you can have after something scary happens. No, it was because of the sheer stupidity.

I kinda lost it during the sex scene when the naked woman started singing and then later another naked woman pushing the man's ass. A rape scene shouldn't be funny

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
During the screaming and the singing.It was so stupid. Me and my friend were constantly looking at each other during or after a stupid scene and we started to laugh. My friend sometime uncontrollably.

And it wasn't a relief laugh that you can have after something scary happens. No, it was because of the sheer stupidity.

I kinda lost it during the sex scene when the naked woman started singing and then later another naked woman pushing the man's ass. A rape scene shouldn't be funny

It wasn't rape for starters.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
It wasn't rape for starters.
IMO. I definitely consider it rape. He was drugged out of his mind. He had no ability to consent. They were pretty much grooming him since the start with drugs and pube pies. He was visually uncomfortable at the table and in pain And they were giving him sonic booms. Probably would have killed him if he didn't.

This movie and hereditary are good but They just don't feel like anything new. Just seems like things I've already watched just slightly better.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this. Still processing. Don't think it's gonna fuck me up for days like Hereditary did but boy was this a lot.

Ari Aster is a master of depicting grief that's for sure, he just grabs you by the head and puts your cheek to the stove top. Forces you to exist in this space with this person who is enduring unimaginable suffering.

I saw both of this and Hereditary at the cinema and I just felt uncomfortable the whole time, and it's not because I'm anticipating jump scares, it's because I'm anticipating seeing something fucked up so fast that my brain doesn't realise for another ten seconds that what I just saw is gonna stay with me for months afterwards.

I love it.

Question for those who saw it in the cinema, were people laughing at odd points? Sometimes it seemed like the move was supposed to be comical, other times I don't know if the cinema was wrong, or I was. Only thing that makes me like Hereditary more is that it's tone was consistent.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017

I think a lot of it was supposed to be funny. Especially the sex scene you reference.

Horror movies walk a fine line when they're attempting to be uncomfortable and unnerving. It can depend on your mood, who you're with, or just your personality on if it hits or misses. I really liked Midsommar and I thought it was mostly pretty effective. Not as good as Hereditary, but it still worked for me.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
So I feel like I had a very unique, magical experience with this film. My wife is Swedish but we live in my country and she can get homesick at times. She said this movie was weirdly great at making her feeling at home (creepy, I k low) because of the amount of car taken and the subtle stuff in the background.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to see the parts that had to be cut to obtain an R-rating. No way could I ever sit through that again.

Oct 2, 2018
Just saw this. Still processing. Don't think it's gonna fuck me up for days like Hereditary did but boy was this a lot.

Ari Aster is a master of depicting grief that's for sure, he just grabs you by the head and puts your cheek to the stove top. Forces you to exist in this space with this person who is enduring unimaginable suffering.

I saw both of this and Hereditary at the cinema and I just felt uncomfortable the whole time, and it's not because I'm anticipating jump scares, it's because I'm anticipating seeing something fucked up so fast that my brain doesn't realise for another ten seconds that what I just saw is gonna stay with me for months afterwards.

I love it.

Question for those who saw it in the cinema, were people laughing at odd points? Sometimes it seemed like the move was supposed to be comical, other times I don't know if the cinema was wrong, or I was. Only thing that makes me like Hereditary more is that it's tone was consistent.

The comedy is deliberate. You can tell the movies meant to be funny especially with will poulters character. There's this tension and release through this movie that worked for me.

I liked this more than hereditary

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just got done with this. Definitely not an Ari Aster fan. Dude takes something interesting and does nothing interesting with it. This and Hereditary were two of the worst "horror" movies I've ever seen.

I'm done giving this dude a shot for me.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Just got done with this. Definitely not an Ari Aster fan. Dude takes something interesting and does nothing interesting with it. This and Hereditary were two of the worst "horror" movies I've ever seen.

I'm done giving this dude a shot for me.

If either of the movies are "nothing interesting" to you I am very curious to find out what is

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
If either of the movies are "nothing interesting" to you I am very curious to find out what is

I've got to agree with him. The movie does nothing interesting story wise. It's just shock value scene after shock value scene. It's also a slog to get through. I thought it was a really boring and extremely disturbing film, and I'd argue that without the shock value bits, nobody would be talking about this movie.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I've got to agree with him. The movie does nothing interesting story wise. It's just shock value scene after shock value scene. It's also a slog to get through. I thought it was a really boring and extremely disturbing film, and I'd argue that without the shock value bits, nobody would be talking about this movie.

There is value to aspects of a movie beyond story. Atmosphere, themes, performances, editing, cinematography etc. If you're looking for only story in a movie then you're missing out.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I can't imagine not finding Aster's films interesting. They are incredibly riveting and there is so much to take away from them.

There's also more of a story in the film than people give it credit for. The plot is relatively simple but the themes and character arc surrounding Dani and Christian are meaty as hell.