• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ivan2Nguyen

Oct 25, 2017
Let me start by saying I am only ok with this because it's an excuse for me to get VR as well. I have a computer that can play VR games and a PS4 with its camera. I am looking for a system that will fit a 7 year old and play the stuff out today. I'm unsure about compatibility but Most vr games he's exposed to is via YouTube. Between PSVR, Occultus, and Vive what is the best choice?

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Isn't VR supposed to be bad for kids under 13, because their eyes are still developing or sonething like that?

Brichfield

Oct 25, 2017
I would say that depends on how technically savvy he is.

PCVR is definitely the better experience, it just requires more fiddling. If you're looking for an easy, plug and play experience go for the PSVR.

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
I will be totally honest, I wouldn't recommend VR for a 7 year old. Mostly due to potential health reasons at that age, specifically their eyes. I usually never get motion sickness but there's been times in VR where I have gotten a headache and my eyes have bothered me. I own a PSVR for reference.

RandomTiger

Oct 26, 2017
I would think twice about buying a kit for a seven year old. When do their eyes stop developing? Oculus recommends users should be 13 years or over.

In terms of which ones would fit, they are all adjustable though if you can, try before you buy as they not all be comfortable on such a small head.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I only let my daughter (9) use our PSVR very sparingly. 10 minutes at a time, once every couple weeks/months. It's probably fine to use but research is still early. Better not to risk it.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would recommend as light and small as possible.
So definitely not a HTC Vive.

Acer Mixed Reality HMD is 350 gramm
Asus Mixed Reality HMD is below 400 gramm
Playstation VR is 440 gramm
Oculus Rift is 470 gramm
HTC Vive is 555 gramm

JedWhitaker

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
PSVR hands-down if you don't care about the potential health impact it could have on his eyes.

Easy to set up, easy to use and wear, and games just work. Otherwise, you need a powerhouse PC, tons of cabling, more room, and just getting set up isn't user-friendly. Plus Sony has some semblance of quality control when it comes to games.