• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
literally none of the words you typed meant anything to me.

please explain.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Is that different from being an "ass man"?

That show is so unprofessional, that this doesn't surprise me. I'll take your word for it. Smh

EDIT: Didn't realize it was a slur. I've never heard it before.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought buttboy just meant the difference between alpha and beta males? Buttboy being beta.

Not necessarily anything to do with sexuality.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
She's using homophobic language on national TV.

What's difficult to understand?

well let's see, I don't know who Mika is (street fighter 5?), I didn't know what 'morning' was, I don't know who or what a Pompeo (pretty sure this was a mainstream radio song) is, and I have never heard of the phrase butt boy (I figured it was someone with a nice butt, but now I know I'm clearly mistaken).

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more excited for the incredibly awkward apology than anything.
I thought buttboy just meant the difference between alpha and beta males? Buttboy being beta.

Not necessarily anything to do with sexuality.
Take a second and consider why the butt boy would be considered the beta. What's the implication of the words?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I remember fondly the only clip of Morning Joe worth watching, where Russell Brand showed up and Mika almost had a nervous breakdown and kept calling him Willy.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Take a second and consider why the butt boy would be considered the beta. What's the implication of the words?
Brown nosers aka buttboys?

I'm sure you guys are right that its a homophobic slur but is it not possible she meant it in another way? As in it has two meanings?

I honestly thought buttboy just meant you kiss ass. Which in context makes more sense.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure you guys are right that its a homophobic slur but is it not possible she meant it in another way?

I agree that "buttboy" ultimately must be rooted in homophobia, but it's essentially a playground insult that's never really been precisely defined, so I could see someone assuming it is synonymous with "brown-noser" or "ass kisser," too.

Edit: that said, I hope Mika gets fired. She and Joe are awful.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
'Butt boy' isn't just the bottom in a gay relationship. It adds a very negative connotation to the relationship, which is where the slur aspect comes from.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Brown nosers aka buttboys?

I'm sure you guys are right that its a homophobic slur but is it not possible she meant it in another way? As in it has two meanings?

I honestly thought buttboy just meant you kiss ass.

Yeah I figured this was her intention, i think that was the meaning of the phrase back in the day. It definitely has other connotations though, and it wasnt really a great choice for MSM in 2018. Hopefully she doesnt try to make it into a thing and just apologizes

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
literally in the title of OP. "Mika on morning joe"
I didn't know what Morning Joe is either and if I have to google half a thread title to begin to understand what the thread is about, then I think it could have been explained better.

Regardless my post was mostly in jest, it's not a big deal.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you guys are seeing my thought process instead of nailing me to the wall for being ignorant. I appreciate that.

I'm sure she didnt mean it in a homophobic way. In the context of "a wanna be dictators buttboy" it sounds like shes talking about a brown noser aka ass kisser. Which he probably is. In context she is talking about the guy literally deflecting questions for trumps sake.

This isnt a hill im gonna die on but by all means you guys can get out the torches and pitchforks.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've honestly never even considered the slur aspect of it but of course now that it's pointed out, I get it. It's not something I've actually heard a lot anyway but when I have I've always taken it in the sense of describing someone as being up another persons butt aka brown noser aka ass kisser. It makes me wonder if there's conflation of language and different contexts or if there really is a direct relationship. She should probably apologize anyway of course.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mmmh, not that Morning Joe is always classy or anything, but couldn't she have meant to have called him a PC version of "Ass clown" or something, and unwittingly ended using a homophobic word turn she might not know?
Never heard "buttboy" before myself.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Response to this:

Jim Sciutto @jimsciutto

Pressed on Fox about Saudi Crown Prince's involvement in Khashoggi murder, Pompeo delivers three separate justifications for US inaction:
1- "The KSA decides who runs the country."
2- "The direct evidence isn't yet available."
3- "Iran is running rampant around the Middle East"

The Daily Beast @thedailybeast

Pompeo says Saudis have already "paid the price" for Khashoggi's murder https://thebea.st/2ErHJZd

TDB: Secretary of State Mike Pompeo: Saudis Have Already 'Paid the Price' for Khashoggi's Murder

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo claimed on Fox & Friends early Wednesday morning that the Saudis responsible for the murder of Washington Post writer Jamal Khashoggi have already "paid the price."
Co-host Ainsley Earhardt, who is not typically known for her empathy, called the murder "brutal" and referred to the audio tapes that recorded his torturous death "awful."
"Somebody has to pay the price," she said.
"The Saudis have already paid the price," said Pompeo.
He claimed that justice has already been served after the Trump administration placed visa restrictions on 21 people linked to the murder and imposed economic sanctions on 17 of them.
"There are the folks who've actually committed the murder, we've held accountable. We will continue to do that. No one underestimates how horrible this murder was. But remember, Iran is running rampant throughout the middle east. The death of any one individual is awful. The death of hundreds of thousands of people in Europe or the middle east or the United States matters an awful lot. The president is committed to protecting America."
Pompeo, Trump's former CIA director, has publicly rejected his former intelligence agency's reported assessment that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the killing.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mmmh, not that Morning Joe is always classy or anything, but couldn't she have meant to have called him a PC version of "Ass clown" or something, and unwittingly ended using a homophobic word turn she might not know?
Never heard "buttboy" before myself.

It does happen. When I was young, and didn't yet know what it meant, I accidentally used "hard on" in place of "hard up" in front of my parents and boy did that cause a tense few minutes.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It does happen. When I was young, and didn't yet know what it meant, I accidentally used "hard on" in place of "hard up" in front of my parents and boy did that cause a tense few minutes.
Not directly related but it reminds me when my wife almost had a rage fit when our 7year old son told her "I'm gonna Fuck You Up!" ... and then she realized he was just jamin' on Uptown Funk on the radio, and she wasn't listening closely to the lyrics ("Uptown funk you up!").

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well let's see, I don't know who Mika is (street fighter 5?), I didn't know what 'morning' was, I don't know who or what a Pompeo (pretty sure this was a mainstream radio song) is, and I have never heard of the phrase butt boy (I figured it was someone with a nice butt, but now I know I'm clearly mistaken).
Why even click the thread, then?

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she didn't know it was a slur or could be seen as that. I'm sure she'll make it right.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I thought butt boy just meant you always have your nose up someone's butt, aka brown nosing. No clue it was a gay slur.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
Why even click the thread, then?

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she didn't know it was a slur or could be seen as that. I'm sure she'll make it right.

lol silly me, I thought the OP would describe the events in the thread title. From here on out I'll ignore any threads that contain ambiguous headers.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of the term "butt boy".

Sounds like some playground shit like "doodoo head" or "stinky butt".

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
lol silly me, I thought the OP would describe the events in the thread title. From here on out I'll ignore any threads that contain ambiguous headers.
There is nothing ambigious about the title. It gives ample amounts of context.

Maybe Google things instead of expecting others to cure your ignorance.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My nephews used to call each other bum boy and butt boy.

They were only wee and it was just brothers slagging each other because the words sound funny together.

But they cant do that anymore it seems.