• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Can't say I ever really liked him not bothered.

what did he do btw regarding racism that's shocking and did James know?

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
PBG and Jirard seemingly have no issue hanging with white nationalist Jon Tron so I chose to no longer watch them.

Boot licked the walkers and attacked the former contributors that were apart of change the channel that detailed the walkers crimes.

Let's not forget that he made his wife be nude in his "movie" and in the commentary she said she was really uncomfortable and had to close her eyes during the scene. At the very least he's a creep.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
The Mike shit ruined AVGN for me initially, but the thing that really ruined it long term is James' silence and complicity. Fuck 'em both

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Finding out about the racist comics made me feel really uncomfortable watching any of the cinemassacre stuff.

Hard to see James as clean if he ran with it.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
Really does bother me how he never publicly condemned his comics. They are really awful.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap... this is the first time I looked at those comics. That was sickening. How could someone continue working with a person like that?

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
His school projects were messes, the AVGN movie was awful in almost every way and some of the short films I've seen did not instill me with much confidence he can actually make coherent movies or tell proper stories. early AVGN season is where he was at his best. They had a very charming hand-crafted DIY feel to them that's sorely lacking in the recent seasons. It may sound harsh but I don't quite think he has the talent to truly break out and do movies.

Everybody's school and first projects are atrocious.If he doesn't keep working on it, he will never improve.

Oct 27, 2017
When Bootsy and Justin got pushed out the channel lost it's heart.

Although you're right about Bootsy and I miss him, I don't think Justin was pushed out. Justin(I'm guessing you're talking about the musician and not the screenwave idiot) still does work in the background on production apparently. I think in one of the behind the scenes videos from maybe a year or two ago, he was helping out with some stuff.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They were chatting on Twitter, so I think it's amicable.

Could be work for the conspiracy theorist out there tho lol.

Same here. Fuck James for not acknowledging it. He doesn't get a free pass.

Why would he? He's not responsible for Mike. Mike is his own person and a grown man.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I like the format of James & Mike Mondays, something relaxing about two people just sitting casually playing a video game and chatting and reminiscing, but I realized a while ago I don't really like either of their commentary. They are both extremely ignorant just in general (in addition to Mike being racist and annoying) and they don't even have a good rapport.

For a long time now I think it's been pretty clear that James doesn't really want to do video game stuff anymore, he's always been way more into movies, and I feel like he sorta resents that people only know him as AVGN and that that's been the only financially successful aspect of his channel.

EDIT: Oh, and good riddance to Mike. Never should have had that kind of fame or visibility to begin with.
Honestly James is terrible off the cuff and at doing any kind of improv. And on top of that, he clearly doesn't care about modern video games either lol, like you said.

Personally I don't care for his opinions on movies either. His idea about editing Kill Bill Vol 1 and Vol 2 into a single two-hour movie is fucking awful (and his AVGN film is the absolute dregs, for that matter).

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly James is terrible off the cuff and at doing any kind of improv. And on top of that, he clearly doesn't care about modern video games either lol, like you said.

Personally I don't care for his opinions on movies either. His idea about editing Kill Bill Vol 1 and Vol 2 into a single two-hour movie is fucking awful (and his AVGN film is the absolute dregs, for that matter).
It was his first major effort to be fair.

Real directors go through a lot before they make a decent film.

The issue here is that him being a Youtuber made him cut the line of sorts. Directing is craft. You're not gonna hit a homerun in your first movie. Even GOAT directors had a student period.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
PBG and Jirard seemingly have no issue hanging with white nationalist Jon Tron so I chose to no longer watch them.

Pretty sure Jirard was the one who kicked Jon off of Normal Boots after everything went down. They also basically erased ProJared from the timeline after his own firestorm. Are they still friends all of a sudden?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Why are people giving James a pass? He knows about Matei's bullshit and kept him around all this time. He's no better.
I consider the entire crew a bunch of edgy racists. Not giving any of them a pass

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure Jirard was the one who kicked Jon off of Normal Boots after everything went down. They also basically erased ProJared from the timeline after his own firestorm. Are they still friends all of a sudden?

They were both at Jon's wedding and I believe when I made a topic on that people also brought up they they are also back with ProJared as well. I followed them after the Jon shit and thats why it hurt to find this out.

Why are people giving James a pass? He knows about Matei's bullshit and kept him around all this time. He's no better.
I consider the entire crew a bunch of edgy racists. Not giving any of them a pass

Yeah if James knew then I will continue not watching him.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
The difference between your public/business life and your private life.

Jon was toxic to the business to have around directly (at the time), but they probably are hesitant to cut them off privately.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, it's like, I find his love of film sorta endearing if narrow in scope, and like you said not even really insightful, but even as someone who paid $5 to watch and actually somewhat enjoyed the AVGN movie, I don't think he's particularly talented. I think his passion sorta makes up for the lack of skill and has allowed him to be successful.