• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
http://press.na.square-enix.com/rel...ss-of-mike-sherlock-chief-operating-officer-f

LOS ANGELES (September 6, 2018) – Square Enix is deeply saddened to announce the unexpected death of Mike Sherlock. Mr. Sherlock served as Chief Operating Officer across Square Enix America and Square Enix Europe since 2015.

Phil Rogers, CEO of Square Enix Europe and America, commented, "It is with tremendous sorrow that we announce the passing of our great friend and colleague, Mike Sherlock. Mike was a principled and charismatic leader who led by example. He was extremely proud of the progress and success we have shared over the years. The entire Square Enix family mourns this tragic loss, and our deepest sympathies are with his family and loved ones."

Square Enix's executive team will assume the immediate responsibilities of Mr. Sherlock to ensure the continuity of its strategic direction and operations.

About Mike Sherlock

Mike Sherlock was named Chief Operating Officer of Square Enix America in July 2015, co-serving as Chief Operating Officer of Square Enix Europe, a position he had held since 2009. Mr. Sherlock first joined Square Enix Europe in 2005 serving initially as senior vice president of marketing. Prior to joining Square Enix, Mr. Sherlock held positions as president of international publishing for Acclaim Entertainment and executive vice president of sales & marketing for Sega Europe.

RIP. Sales have been pretty good for stuff like Nier Automata and FFXV, so he had a pretty great run.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
RIP.

Has the family released any details on what happened? Condolences to the family.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very sad news, my your soul rest in peace Mike. My thoughts are with the family and I will pray for them.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's really sad. I met him last year while showing some stuff to Square and he was a super nice guy.

MaxwellGT2000

Nov 5, 2017
Man what a sad day, Burt and now one of the heads of Square :( wasn't he on stage for some of Square's E3 events? The name seems very familiar.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
RIP

His name was very familiar to me around the time of Dreamcast. I think he may have been responsible for the Sega sponsorship of Arsenal back in the day.

CrashedAlex

Three Fields Entertainment
Verified
Nov 10, 2017
I woke up and read this news here, and was instantly reminded of so many great times I had with Mike. I'm not a frequent poster, but I figured it would be worth sharing a few memories. Most people won't have heard of Mike here, and I thought you should all know what a great guy he was.

I knew and worked with Mike many years ago. It always sounds like a cliche, but as I approach my 24th year in this industry, I can honestly say he was one of the nicest people I ever met in the business.

Mike joined Acclaim Entertainment sometime after I left in 1999.

We met for the first time when I took the latest build of "Burnout" on PlayStation2 up to their Knightsbridge office. From the outset, he greeted me warmly and somehow I felt like I'd known him all my life. I'm sure many others who knew Mike would say the same thing. He was always positive, upbeat and happy. And that tended to rub off on the people around him.

Mike was a huge supporter of myself, my studio (Criterion Games) and my game. It's because of people like Mike, and the hundred or so other people who worked for Acclaim in Europe at that time that the game became successful. A lot of people in many different areas put in the work to spread the word and make it all happen. A lot of people were involved back then to take a gold master CD from the developer and get it into a box on a shelf somewhere around the world.

After Burnout and Burnout 2: Point of Impact, I met with different publishers to discuss what would become the third game. By then, Mike had moved to working for SEGA Europe and I met up with him at E3 in Los Angeles that year.

He hosted what became an almost infamous meeting between myself, his team and some marketing people from Sega of America. It was quickly clear that the other folks has never played my games or knew much about that. At some point I was asked if I was sure if I even wanted to continue making Burnout 3 "as they had Sega GT coming out and were going to dominate the genre!" Let's just say that I crossed SEGA off my list after that and Mike had his head in his hands during the meeting. We didn't have to convince SEGA Europe, they would have loved to have had the game.

Later on that morning, Mike arranged for me to meet probably my all-time hero in game development, the legendary Yu Suzuki. I remember that moment clearly - and was impressed that Yu was the only person smoking a cigarette in the LA Convention Centre! I won't write what we talked about - but I just shared it with my team just now and they all laughed! Thanks Mike for making that happen!

I saw Mike at a few shows on an off after that, and I lost touch with him around 2007. I heard from a friend he was at Square the other year and made a mental note to drop him a line and say hi.

I never got around to doing that. I wish I had.