• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
"Please don't read the reviews of this mediocre game that we, coincidentally, have the marketing deal for."

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Mike Ybarra has a history of being a bit of a twat on Twitter I've noticed. Now that Aaron Greenberg has seemingly stepped down as Xbox's Official Representative of Douchey Tweets this gen, I guess someone had to pick up the slack.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is par for the course for Xbox marketing lol. No other paltform holder supports crazy console warriors like Crapgamer and the likes. They've always take advantage of
That's reminds me the Cuphead situation...
AmusingQualifiedJabiru-small.gif
Except it's absolutely nothing like that.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Do you guys usually have paid shill friend groups as well or we're ignoring that part to focus on the streamers?

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Streamers:
-Often paid by publishers
-No editorial oversight

Reviewers:
-not paid by publishers
-usually editorial oversight

Pretty simple, Mike.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not in the market to buy the game, why would I go out of my way to watch content of a game I can't afford?

I don't entirely disagree with him on that point, really. If I think I might want to buy a game I'll watch a video for the gameplay and rarely look at reviews.

You don't have to get so bent out of shape over a one-off comment relating to the fact that I just beat the last game they released yesterday.

It's not the fact he prefers streams to traditional reviews that's the problem. It's the fact he's an executive of a company that regularly does sponsored spots for their games is encouraging people to ignore traditional reviews in favor of streaming, many of which are sponsored by his company.

Feb 2, 2019
He also said people should be using "modern reviews" like watching streamers.

I somewhat agree. It's better to actually see the game for yourself through a stream and make an opinion for yourself, than just reading about a game and trusting a critic. I've never been into written reviews myself, so I can understand his point on that matters.

Anthem looks actually awful though, so that wasn't the best game to prove his point =D

Streamers:
-No editorial oversight

Reviewers:
-not paid by publishers

Pretty simple, Mike.

The problem is, if you watch a stream, you watch the game actually being played, regardless if the streamer is a shill himself. You're making an opinion for yourself and the streamer in himself doesn't matter that much when forging that opinion. What you see is what you'll get.

I'd have advised people to see a no commentary walkthrough on youtube, which are way better than stream on Twitch since you see the game without an annoying persona speaking and faking reactions, but I kind of see his point.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Hi i'm random twitch streamer and I have to act like i'm on happy pills ALL the time to keep my subs, don't forget to like, subscribe and follow me on instagram and twitter!

Now Anthem, what don't I like about it? That it's almost TOO GOOD!

Oh and big shout out to Microsoft for sponsoring this early look!!!!!!!!

Is this what you think every stream is? Just watch one without a mic or webcam. Yall are really trying way too hard and for what reason I do not know. Also, you can just play the game yourself which is one of the other things he mentioned in the tweet.

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is "watch modern reviews" the FAKE NEWS CROOKED MEDIA ATTACK of the gaming world?

Ybarra is long overdue for the boot. He frequently fuels console war chat, promotes/retweets questionable gaming personalities, and gets an attitude about stuff like this.

It's really at odds with the rest of the team's messaging. Particularly Phil.
Yeah him and Greenberg really are the polar opposite to what Phil is. Be more like Phil guys.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Grown man is upset because other people don't like game he likes

Forum members stay toxic as per usual.

I feel like his opinions are coming from a genuine place, but it's not appropriate for someone in his position. Also most of the streamers I've seen have been saying to wait on Anthem anyway.
Agree with this. It sucks because as someone that high up you usually don't get to voice any negative opinions you have without some silly backlash

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
Hi i'm random twitch streamer and I have to act like i'm on happy pills ALL the time to keep my subs, don't forget to like, subscribe and follow me on instagram and twitter!

Now Anthem, what don't I like about it? That it's almost TOO GOOD!

Oh and big shout out to Microsoft for sponsoring this early look!!!!!!!!
what a disingenuous take regarding streaming culture

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
This comment here is everything you need to know about this situation.

That and Xbox having a marketing deal with Anthem

Mike Ybarra has a history of being a bit of a twat on Twitter I've noticed. Now that Aaron Greenberg has seemingly stepped down as Xbox's Official Representative of Douchey Tweets this gen, I guess someone had to pick up the slack.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
It's not the fact he prefers streams to traditional reviews that's the problem. It's the fact he's an executive of a company that regularly does sponsored spots for their games is encouraging people to ignore traditional reviews in favor of streaming, many of which are sponsored by his company.
Fair enough, you're right, I'm being defensive.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reviewing without knowing how to do a combo is indeed embarrassing. Not sure what's wrong about that statement.

But you guys want a shitstorm.

Do your thing.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Theres something to be said about game reviewers sometimes missing stuff in their review but here everyone has stated that this game makes no effort to explain how combos work in the first place. Giantbomb spoke about this as well. During my time playing my friends and I were left experimenting as to what abilities combo'd to what and we honestly thought that it was just freezing enemies and then following up with another ability as the only means of pulling off combos because nothing else seemed to work.

Reviewing without knowing how to do a combo is indeed embarrassing. Not sure what's wrong about that statement.

But you guys want a shitstorm.

Do your thing.
See above. The game doesn't explain the combo system in a meaningful capacity unless you go hunting for it. Using combos is the core to the gameplay. The fact you have to go digging for how to pull it off is absurd.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The headline is a completely different statement than what he said.

The headline reads like as if this is a general statement ("critics") he made. Reading the actual tweet he refers to only one single review he read.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Is this what you think every stream is? Just watch one without a mic or webcam. Yall are really trying way too hard and for what reason I do not know. Also, you can just play the game yourself which is one of the other things he mentioned in the tweet.

But it's fine to stereotype all written reviews?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
He didn't have to say anything. If Jim Ryan came out and said this he'd be rightfully piled on as well. It costs Mike nothing to keep his mouth shut. Why point out this particular review? And then to go on and say you should watch streamers instead is bad.

Streamers who get paid to play these games. Like EA will pay these streamers to play their game for the first few days for exposure. You think that persons opinion isn't going to be biased from the start?
he is entitled to his own opinion. plenty of people in the industry have spoken out against reviews.

anyway, my main issue is that the thread title makes it look like he is calling out all reviewers, he just said one single review which he didn't even give a name for had something in it that he disagreed with. Anyway, I guess its fuel for the console warriors out there. so have fun guys. /shrug

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys usually have paid shill friend groups as well or we're ignoring that part to focus on the streamers?

Streamers in this case are not any more at fault than game journalists. The vast majority of game review sites are directly sponsored by ads from the products they review.

The industry as a whole has a real problem when it comes to conflicts of interest.

SteezyStan

Banned
Feb 20, 2019
If a reviewer didn't know how to do a combo, is that the reviewer's fault? Or the games fault for not teaching combos clearly?
To be fair, almost every review I've read this morning makes mention of the combo system and how wonderful it feels. It seems to be an oversight on the reviewers behalf.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I somewhat agree. It's better to actually see the game for yourself through a stream and make an opinion for yourself, than just reading about a game and trusting a critic. I've never been into written reviews myself, so I can understand his point on that matters.

Anthem looks actually awful though, so that wasn't the best game to prove his point =D

The problem is, if you watch a stream, you watch the game actually being played, regardless if the streamer is a shill himself. You're making an opinion for yourself and the streamer in himself doesn't matter that much when forging that opinion. What you see is what you'll get.

I'd have advised people to see a no commentary walkthrough on youtube, which are way better than stream on Twitch since you see the game without an annoying persona speaking and faking reactions, but I kind of see his point.

Not to mention he also suggested trying the demo and getting friends' opinions. Normally, this would be good advice. Though using the term "modern reviews" isn't a good look.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe my friend group is different but they usually don't blindly buy games. No one I know is planning to buy Anthem due to bad perception and talk around the game. I'm not going to get feedback if people don't buy it.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Streamers:
-No editorial oversight

Reviewers:
-not paid by publishers

Pretty simple, Mike.
You don't have to agree with everything a streamer is saying.

You can literally see what they're doing as they do it - formulate your own opinions based on that.

Oct 26, 2017
Is he though? Seems like he is pretty specific with the one review. You can read whatever you want into his tweet though.

Edit: ok, guess I was wrong, his tweets do seem to point in that direction.

Yes, you could read the first tweet in a more innocent way, but he insisted and insisted with later tweets (the game hasn't launched still!) and now it's clear the intention.