• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I also completely missed it, they never even bring up the existence of combos (unless you see a medal for them or they're required for a quest, then you're wondering wtf exactly constitutes a combo when killing enemies)

Aah, yeah this is basically exactly what the Ars reviewer said. All of a sudden the game starts telling you or suggesting you or something to use Combos, it even does a little animation or whatever when you pull one off, but the reviewer said he had no idea what a combo was, what the reward was, how you do it, or anything else. He thought it was never explained once in the game. Having not played the game, I dunno if maybe it was something the reviewer just missed or not, but sounds like... Nope.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
How you expect someone else to have a standard when you dont even hold yourself to the same standards

Let-he-who-is-without-sin-cast-the-first-stone-still-from-Une-femme-nommee-Marie.png

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I'm fine with calling out reviewers who didn't take the time to find out how to combo (or who did, but were frustrated it wasn't part of the in-game explanation). There's lots to munch on when it comes to finding the balance for tutorials - how much is told to a player, how much is meant to be discovered, etc. But the replies that talks about "modern reviews?" Woof.

Whoever did his media training must be bashing their heads against their desks right now. If you want to make the point that there are games that are better suited to the experiences of players playing over a long period of time, who invest in the world and see it grow, or where the fun found in game doesn't always translate to strong reviews that are often published on a tight deadline, that's a valid point. But you can do that without discrediting a very important part of the video game ecosystem.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're entirely misunderstanding what I mean by cozy. Its not about material wealth, its about insularity. Its about it being a small group of similar people echoing a limited range of views back to each other.

And I don't find anyone credible about whether I'll like a game or not, its too subjective. Ideally I want to play the game, failing that I want to watch it. Reviews aren't very useful, except to a small degree in aggregate via metacritic, streamers are better if they're silent.

If you don't find anyone's opinions credible, what the fuck are you doing posting here on Reset?

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
You either don't seem to grasp or care about ethics.

It's objectively unethical for an executive of a platform holder to discredit the journalists who's job it is to critique their products.
Are you claiming he's not entitled to his opinion? I think what he's done is brilliant and it'll hopefully prevent other reviewers from doing equally as crap jobs out of fear of being called out on said crap job. At least someone had the guts to say it how it really is.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
As much as people praise Dark Souls/Bloodborne for its arcane nature, I'm not sure if "There wasn't a tutorial for it!" really excuses a reviewer's inability to engage with a game's systems.

While I agree with you, it does highlight some design oversights that will probably reflect some casual players experiences. IMO it's still a valid review. If a review doesn't understand or misses a game mechanic there's a good chance there's a portion of the player base who will do so as well. I don't feel this is a case of "oh wow I derped out and can't believe I missed that".

Nov 8, 2017
It wasn't just that though, he lied in his review and stated 343i cut splitscreen without telling fans, he even assumed the REQ system would ruin the game which it did no such thing.

Yeah that was infuriating and I actually felt bad that I roasted The Order 1886 based on his video.

I think it should be done more. If someone does a crap job then they should be called out on doing a crap job. Simple as. Feelings will be hurt on both sides but right now it only seems to be ok for journo's to criticize everything but people can't criticize those journo's in response. Its a complete joke. You would expect journalists to hold high standards for their work and make sure every avenue is covered in their reviews. It's their responsibility to give a fair an unbiased review and make any subjective criticisms be known and identified as being subjective.

Dark1x replied to me earlier so I'll use DF as an example. Remember that Redout fiasco? DF is held in high regard across many gaming forums because of the detailed content they put out and they made a blunder and got criticized for it which is fine. They corrected themselves and the whole issue was resolved. If we keep up this mentality of journo's should never be criticized then the industry is dead. This guy did a crap job of his review and he is being rightfully criticized for it. The key to resolving this is communication.

Now I expect people to reply back to me saying I'm wrong for saying he did a crap job. That's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm also getting a lot of replies so sorry if I miss your reply or reply slowly.

Also I 100% agree with this. Mike could have used better wording and explained his stance better. Not every reviewer is doing a poor job.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Patrick, come on dude. You are the one who loves Hollow Knight, Souls and Bloodborne. Games that are purposefully obtuse and leaves it entirely on the player to learn the systems at hand without tutorials.

Not saying it shouldn't be in the game, but seems rather eyeroll worthy to praise one game for doing so and lambasting another for not.
There are games designed around minimal tutorialisation, and do so well. Souls games would be a prime example.

Anthem is not doing that at all.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
A reviewer should do whatever the hell they want. It's their review.

Don't want reviews to miss important mechanics? Don't hide them under stupid menus that players might miss. If a reviewer missed it, normal players certainly will as well.
Yup, and others are free to criticise them for a shit review.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I read a tweet from a reviewer journalist saying something along the lines that they do their best to pump out reviews as fast as possible. Fuck that. I much rather read a reviews of someone who thoroughly played a game and has to say, rather than a run off the factory mill review. I don't excuse developers rushing a game, I won't excuse reviewers rushing a review. It's time we hold them to better standards. Ybarra is not the right person for the message, but I fully support the message.

Usually I write between eight and ten reviews a month. I cover almost every genre from AAA to indie. I tend to stress myself out over whether or not my reviews are accurate, informative, and entertaining.

What do I get out of all this? Honestly, I still haven't figured that part out yet. The pay is nonexistent and half the time it feels like everyone hates my guts.

I don't want to hear about being held to higher standards. The standards I hold myself to are already ridiculously goddamn high.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Patrick, come on dude. You are the one who loves Hollow Knight, Souls and Bloodborne. Games that are purposefully obtuse and leaves it entirely on the player to learn the systems at hand without tutorials.

Not saying it shouldn't be in the game, but seems rather eyeroll worthy to praise one game for doing so and lambasting another for not.

Spot on. Why should every game and mechanic be paired along with some handholdy tutorial or dialogue? What ever happened to emergent systems are hidden design that is shared throughout the community? This happens all the time in games... Especially the really good ones. If you don't understand the combo system in this game, you aren't looking hard enough, either, because there ARE in-game UI elements that advertise something is happening. I'm sure there's more depth that people haven't yet found out about either and to me that's a good thing.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

Difference is, Anthem requires you to do X amount of combos to advance the main missions. It's a literal bar you have to fill but don't explain how to do it unless you search.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't even publicly critique a vendor at my low level job.

He's an executive. It might seem like a crazy concept, but he is in fact, held to different standards than us anonymous posters on an online gaming forum.

Well he doesn't seem to care about confirming to this standard of "don't say certain things i don't like", so what are we going to do now?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Are you claiming he's not entitled to his opinion? I think what he's done is brilliant and it'll hopefully prevent other reviewers from doing equally as crap jobs out of fear of being called out on said crap job. At least someone had the guts to say it how it really is.

Hey this sounds kind of familiar.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
A reviewer should do whatever the hell they want. It's their review.

Don't want reviews to miss important mechanics? Don't hide them under stupid menus that players might miss. If a reviewer missed it, normal players certainly will as well.

Then you end up like this, right?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ig...-for-misinformation-review-gets-pulled.87252/

Sometimes it's okay to call out because it's clearly wrong, other times it's...
Discrediting all game reviews is something I don't like, wow you're right

Who discredited all game reviews?

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
The "I don't do reviews" tweet is such a bad look. He's essentially an official MS spokesperson saying that traditional reviews of their products are irrelevant... If I worked at IGN etc. I'd be pretty pissed about that. Also a corporation telling you outright not to consider independent reviews for their products, just because they're bad, is a terrible look.

And that's leaving alone the fact that the "try it yourself to see if you like it" line is such a tired gamer argument. You see that shit in every review thread when a game is getting trashed.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
Streamers don't miss anything! It is virtually impossible! Their understanding of games is completely thorough, inside and ou--

...oh.

Pretty sure I did this shrine extremely late into the game in my first play-through as well (and had a similarly baffled reaction, though I'd at least figured out these mechanics already). Breath of the Wild's open-ended structure makes something like this possible, so I don't get the ridicule here. It's pretty funny though.