• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, and others are free to criticise them for a shit review.
Absolutely. They're just sharing their opinions as well, though. Acting like there is a "correct" way to review a video game is absolute nonsense.

There is no such thing as an "objective" review. Period.

Reviews are subjective. Reviews are, and always have been, the subjective opinion of one individual --even if you didn't realize it when you were growing up. That's why EGM had multiple people review each game back in the day (or pretended to, but that's another discussion altogether).

they cn do what they want, and we can do what we want and criticize a lazy review

or do you disagree with that?
See above.

Your free to criticize because you don't like it, but acting like a review is doing it "wrong" is silly. A review is just an opinion.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you claiming he's not entitled to his opinion? I think what he's done is brilliant and it'll hopefully prevent other reviewers from doing equally as crap jobs out of fear of being called out on said crap job. At least someone had the guts to say it how it really is.

You can't get really mad when people mention Trump when you said things like this and 'fake news'.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. They're just sharing their opinions as well, though. Acting like there is a "correct" way to review a video game absolute nonsense.

There is no such thing as an "objective" review. Period.

Reviews are subjective. Reviews are, and always have been, the subjective opinion of one individual --even if you didn't realize it when you were growing up. That's why EGM had multiple people review a game back in the day (or pretended to, but that's another discussion altogether).

See above.

Your free to criticize because you don't like it, but acting like a review is doing it "wrong" is silly. A review is just an opinion.

man, a review can obviously be wrongly done, did you forget about IGN complaining about how you dont play football in soccer manager?

or what, are you goiing to defend that review??? "the reviewer is only giving his opinion!!

it was as if my friend said that Resident Evil 4 sucks because he didnt figure out you can actually run and he keep dying so he quit the game.

but hey! it is his opinion!

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
He's probably salty that he doesn't have a lot of high scored reviews to add to the next Anthem/Xbox commercial.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Xbox guy is way out of line.

Not the part of the convo I care for, since the thread has gone into a convo I do care for. While it's perfectly fine and justified to criticize a game for being poor at teaching its mechanics: revengeance, bayonetta with dodge offset, bloodrayne betrayal with its evade through stuff iframes, mad fighting games in general. The list could go on.

It is not however, to me unreasonable to expect game reviewers to put in the effort to learn and experiment with the mechanics. Depth matters to plenty of people, and as patrons of the art, one would think they would value depth on some level.

Likewise given YouTube n google exist, nowadays you have plenty of tools to learn cool tech about the game you are playing, and I get not everyone will do this. But some will, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Beyond that I want the most accurate and detailed representation of the mechanics I can get at a given time, and that's a reasonable request from the reader. I don't need the player to be a pro, but mediocre players are capable of grasping the games mechanics n higher level play logic, even if their execution is lacking.

Far too often with actual game reviews, they lack detail, they don't describe the gameplay what so ever, and having listened to enough different podcasts. It is mind boggling how some of these folks will miss obvious shit when playing a game.

And to my understanding some of that is due to the crazy rush job they have to do, especially during review season. But as the reader, I didn't fucking agree to take one for the team and be cool with poor work.

I would like someone who can make the effort to learn the game more and delay their review if need be.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
This will be the 4th time I've quoted this

How is that discrediting reviews?

Because he personally doesn't use them as a guide?

I mean, I don't read game reviews either, I'd rather get the word of mouth from forum-goers, friends, or just go with my gut but I don't think that makes me actively discrediting reviews.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is a combo? oO

Ive played Anthem since it released on Premier last week.

The game haven't told me anything about combos.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
man, a review can obviously be wrongly done, did you forget about IGN complaining about how you dont play football in soccer manager?

or what, are you goiing to defend that review??? "the reviewer is only giving his opinion!!

it was as if my friend said that Resident Evil 4 sucks because he didnt figure out you can actually run and he keep dying so he quit the game.

hot and bothered gamers up in here

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So you do get it, then. Good.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
There are games designed around minimal tutorialisation, and do so well. Souls games would be a prime example.

Anthem is not doing that at all.
Yeah, there's a world of difference between Anthem's unintentional obfuscation of a key mechanic and how the Souls series' purposefully obfuscates mechanics. I don't get the comparison.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And that's leaving alone the fact that the "try it yourself to see if you like it" line is such a tired gamer argument. You see that shit in every review thread when a game is getting trashed.
"buy and play the game if you want to talk about it first"

*Buys and plays X hours and shares informed opinion*

"Why the fuck did you buy and play X hours of this game if you clearly hate it!"

EVERY. TIME.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This is an odd one.

Can't say I've never cringed at poorly done reviews before either. We've all done it. Hell practically everyone here does it to IGN and the other usual outlets.

Still, reviews are an important part of the buying process for many. They should be as authentic and relevant as possible. Just my 2 pennies worth.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"buy and play the game if you want to talk about it first"

*Buys and plays X hours and shares informed opinion*

"Why the fuck did you buy and play X hours of this game if you clearly hate it!"

EVERY. TIME.

Anytime someone mentions a fun factor in response to a criticism of game mechanics or mission design you know they don't really have a leg to stand on.

Oct 27, 2017
There's something that doesn't sit about Mike with me. The way he is always responding to that cretin Tim Dogg constantly on Twitter shows what type of person he is.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Beyond that teaching the player is far too valuable and inexcusable in a review as well. It is ridiculous how The Wonderful 101 teaches its mechanics, given how unique that game is in the genre in the first place.

Dbfz makes all these concessions for a broader audience and then fails to tell the player shit I had to learn from YouTube. Why do fighting games still not have a way for players to upload their labbed combos onto the games database?

As someone who values depth and appreciates high level play, learning the game is part of the fun. And that's gotta be fun at lower level play as well and as you are getting better. Explaining the game has its merits. People don't want to be handheld about what direction to go in, they have zero problems with being told what a mechanic can do. Most would prefer it.

So for anthem if it has failed explaining its combo system, that's pretty damning.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you Mike, about playing the demo and deciding it for yourself. I played the demo for 4-5 hours and found it incredibly boring and mediocre on top of being a buggy mess. Turns out my view aligns with most of the reviewers.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
How do you interpret him putting "reviews" in quotes?

I'd call it formatting, considering he also put his second use of the word in quotes as well; unless your argument is that he's discrediting Reviews as well as discrediting his own suggestion of Modern Reviews, I find italics works easier on a forum but that's not a twitter thing.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
This is kind of comical since I see people on this forum use the same line of thought as Ybarra for games they like getting railed on. He's still wrong but holy shit at the hypocrisy here.

Dorkmgl

Oct 26, 2017
Spot on. Why should every game and mechanic be paired along with some handholdy tutorial or dialogue? What ever happened to emergent systems are hidden design that is shared throughout the community? This happens all the time in games... Especially the really good ones. If you don't understand the combo system in this game, you aren't looking hard enough, either, because there ARE in-game UI elements that advertise something is happening. I'm sure there's more depth that people haven't yet found out about either and to me that's a good thing.

The UI is not a good source of information for the Combos and Primers/Detonators in this game as the menus and UI are inconsistent with how and when they display this information between the Forge and other locations.

This game has some of the worst and most inconsistent UI and terminology I've experienced.

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
This is:
- Hurting Anthem's image even more, despite being marketing partners
- Dismissing criticism of the game as "whining"
- Dismissing professional reviews at large
- Promoting gamer rage/fanboy wars
- Showing MS hasn't really changed that much
all at the same time, impressive :P

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Pretty bad take from Mike there. I understand the frustration he's likely facing after this past week but that's not the way to go about it. Basically turning fans against others, is what he's doing with that post.

Either way, beyond any issues with the game itself, Anthem has technical problems - severe technical problems - in its current form on Xbox. I've not seen a big AAA game release in this state for quite sometime. It's really surprising and it's obvious the game needs more time.
Oh a quick reminder, Mike Ybarra tends to play on PC over Xbox One X as well, which I find strange considering the deals they have

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
reminds me of when Bethesda stopped giving out review copies until the day of release, and then oddly enough they started releasing some really good games and reversed the decision

its getting even worse now that studios are releasing GaaS that are apparently unfinished on release

"keep playing for the next 8 months and you'll eventually experience a full product" yea i bet they would love that wouldn't they