• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
If EAand BioWare didn't want people judging the game based on what they put out last week, then they should've released a better version for Origin Access Premier members.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Nobody is having them working against the clock, that is just them rushing to post a review to earn clicks.

If you're assigned a game to review then you have an embargo deadline you have to agree to. It looks bad for an outlet to consistently miss their embargo deadlines.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to immediately jump down the guy's throat. Frankly too many reviews and impressions of games just flat out lack information or even basic knowledge about a game. The RE2 second scenario coming to mind. There's a teaser of another ending, a splash screen that tells you to play the 2nd scenario, an option added to the main menu, and I think there's even a line of text added to the bottom of the main menu acknowledging it. Somehow the reviewer still misses this. This is also not taking into account the A and B scenarios being such a big part of the original release, the most loved entry in a highly popular series. Now I don't know how Anthem explains its systems, so maybe the combo thing is hidden. I'm just saying it wouldn't be that strange for it to be in plain sight and still have a reviewer miss it.

As for the streaming comments, I don't watch streams but I do get almost all my info about games from raw gameplay footage. So maybe that's what he was trying to get across. That people should actually check out the game and not just rely on other people's opinions.
Yeah this is how I see it aswell.

If anything the ones jumping down his throat are the ones that look bad, he's allowed to have an opinion.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018

That's pretty hilariously hypocritical. Reviewers job is to criticise the hard work of people under frequent attack. Getting all self-righteous because someone dared to offer some tame criticism of them - and suggest that they might want to actually go and watch the game instead of just reading some guys opinion on it - is ridiculous.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking forward to seeing what Microsoft is cooking for next gen. Comments like this make me want to stay in the Sony/Nintendo ecosystem. I'll continue to take my 2 (maybe) Xbox exclusives for pennies with game pass on PC and cancel after I'm done.

An executive potentially putting their foot in their mouth is not something exclusive to Microsoft. All the platforms, publishers, and developers have execs that do it. Heck, just look at some of the recent Sony stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
serious question - how do you become a professional game reviewer for a website? do you get a degree in journalism and then proceed to use those set of skills towards the gaming platform? or is there a different, additional course you need to take?
I think the last reviews i watched were from game trailers.com. RIP T_T
journalism isn't game reviews. enthusiast press is generally people wanting free copies of games and are willing to do a poor job writing. The exceptional ones go independent and don't work for a site, they do their own consultant work. The real work being done by real quality reviewers are done working specifically for the publishers so they know how things are coming along, what they CAN fix, what they can't fix, and how they spend their time developing.

Ninja Kn1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like his opinions are coming from a genuine place, but it's not appropriate for someone in his position. Also most of the streamers I've seen have been saying to wait on Anthem anyway.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah he should of just left this one alone.

He knows the position he's in. He should of just layed back and kept his opinions to himself.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
watch streamers, ehehehhehruooururhgghhhhh
I'm not in the market to buy the game, why would I go out of my way to watch content of a game I can't afford?

I don't entirely disagree with him on that point, really. If I think I might want to buy a game I'll watch a video for the gameplay and rarely look at reviews.

You don't have to get so bent out of shape over a one-off comment relating to the fact that I just beat the last game they released yesterday.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and he's disparaging actual gameswriters as well? Fantastic. Love it. Glad the VP of Xbox feels that way about us.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I've been looking forward to seeing what Microsoft is cooking for next gen. Comments like this make me want to stay in the Sony/Nintendo ecosystem. I'll continue to take my 2 (maybe) Xbox exclusives for pennies with game pass on PC and cancel after I'm done.
This makes no sense. Even if you strongly disagree with Mikes take on this. So what? He is the features guy at Xbox. These days features are probably the strongest thing Xbox has going so I think it's fair to say Mike is good at his job. Guy likes Anthem and doesn't like what some reviewers said about the game. Again, I really don't see why this is so controversial.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty hilariously hypocritical. Reviewers job is to criticise the hard work of people under frequent attack. Getting all self-righteous because someone dared to offer some tame criticism of them - and suggest that they might want to actually go and watch the game instead of just reading some guys opinion on it - is ridiculous.
Devs getting death threats doesn't mean it's open season for executives to shit on the press.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
this being the case, why we gamers put so much weight on the reviews then? if by default they are rushed and superficial?

im not trying to discredit the reviewers work, i know they are doing what they can with the time they got. but the system is fucked up by default.
Yup, there's not much we can do. We live in a world of inmediate consumption and satisfaction, and people just have to work around it.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
What is this guy smoking?
tenor.gif

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
I can't handle this drama. I'm getting old and can't keep up with what I'm supposed to be angered about anymore.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is bad and such a weird thing to say. Reviews are bad m'kay. Just watch our "stream partners" stream these games for you with ZERO bias and accountability, and enjoy these betas/demos that you may or may not get, and wait for a friend to spend money so you can see if it sucks.

Oh wait, maybe these reviewers are *gasp* our unbaised friends?
Exactly. They want you to either waste money and time finding out yourself that a product sucks (or your friend's money) with no chance of a refund OR just watch someone paid by EA to stream it. So blatant.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why? Watching the game being played or actually playing it like he mentioned is a lot better than reading what someone else thought about it. Not wvery stream on twitch is sponsored. Get a grip, guys.

Hi i'm random twitch streamer and I have to act like i'm on happy pills ALL the time to keep my subs, don't forget to like, subscribe and follow me on instagram and twitter!

Now Anthem, what don't I like about it? That it's almost TOO GOOD!

Oh and big shout out to Microsoft for sponsoring this early look!!!!!!!!

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why? Watching the game being played or actually playing it like he mentioned is a lot better than reading what someone else thought about it. Not wvery stream on twitch is sponsored. Get a grip, guys.

Watching streams can be great, but that doesn't mean we should throw standard reviews under the bus and dismiss them as no longer being "modern" or "relevant"

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't read reviews and i don't know much about this story but i listened to the latest Giant Bombcast and Jeff was talking crap about this game too saying that he reached the end game in about 20 hours and it wasn't good for story and content overall, but my understanding is that this is a game as a service, a live game which should be getting new contents steadily, seems also that in March they will release a big DLC which they defined like the chapter 1 of the story, which means what Jeff and the others played is just like a prologue....so i'm not sure Ybarra is entirely wrong here, maybe we should start see this kind of games in a different way and in the long run
I don't think anyone is saying the game can't get better over time. Destiny 1+2 both got better with updates (but were still pretty well liked at launch too, plus they gave Destiny 2 away for free a few months back on PC), Warframe got massively better with updates (but that game's also free...), Anthem will surely get at least a little better with more content, patches, and tweaks.

What they are saying is that the $60 product they put on shelves is not that great, and that's all there is to review at the moment. If the game was free and steadily got content updates and tweaks that's one thing, but a full priced retail game releasing in a mediocre state (according to most reviewers, I haven't personally played it yet) is not going to be a thing I would ever suggest someone go out and buy in the hope that it might get better in the future.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
journalism isn't game reviews. enthusiast press is generally people wanting free copies of games and are willing to do a poor job writing. The exceptional ones go independent and don't work for a site, they do their own consultant work. The real work being done by real quality reviewers are done working specifically for the publishers so they know how things are coming along, what they CAN fix, what they can't fix, and how they spend their time developing.

thanks for the reply! i feel like there are so many places that review games now it's kind of hard to see which ones are 'expectional' or do i just need a list of sites that fit the criteria?

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Is "watch modern reviews" the FAKE NEWS CROOKED MEDIA ATTACK of the gaming world?

Ybarra is long overdue for the boot. He frequently fuels console war chat, promotes/retweets questionable gaming personalities, and gets an attitude about stuff like this.

It's really at odds with the rest of the team's messaging. Particularly Phil.

Oct 25, 2017
shhh that doesn't fit the narrative.

He didn't have to say anything. If Jim Ryan came out and said this he'd be rightfully piled on as well. It costs Mike nothing to keep his mouth shut. Why point out this particular review? And then to go on and say you should watch streamers instead is bad.

Streamers who get paid to play these games. Like EA will pay these streamers to play their game for the first few days for exposure. You think that persons opinion isn't going to be biased from the start?

Oct 26, 2017
Watching people who are paid to play a game is definitely not how people should form their opinions of a game. In fact, it should be actively discouraged.

Couldn't disagree more but this is a complicated subject because there are a few things going on here but namely: a choice being forced to either side with the games/devs or the press. Really what one thinks about what Mike says here depends on the lens they look at things.

Anyway, my feeling is this: a dev and its people have been working around the clock to put this game out. People gloss over a review or an aggregate score and can and do dismiss a game in seconds , jump on a hate bandwagon because of hivemind effect, and so on.

Contrast this with watching a stream. Your words in the quote above get hung up on the streamer him/herself but not the advantages of seeing a game in action over a span of time that does more to inform a potential customer than a 5 minute read or a 2 second glance at an aggregate score.

The reviewer doesn't know what his audience can or can't tolerate , if they'll gravitate to the characters, the world, if they'll be able to overlook one bad thing the reviewer can't because they like other things far more. It's hard to quantify anything from a review.

Anyway back to Mike, it looks like he's just defending a developer in an industry he is an exec in and who he wants to see do well.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Being critical of a game for it's shortfall isn't called "whining". This guy seems out of touch.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Hi i'm random twitch streamer and I have to act like i'm on happy pills ALL the time to keep my subs, don't forget to like and subscribe!

Now Anthem, what don't I like about it? That it's almost TOO GOOD!

Oh and big shout out to Microsoft for sponsoring this early look!!!!!!!!
Wait, you're not an EA Game changer™, I don't trust you.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I can't handle this drama. I'm getting old and can't keep up with what I'm supposed to be angered about anymore.

Everything, be angry about everything...

Seriously though I think we are just reaching a tipping point where gamers are fed up with new games that are just unfinished and publishers are demanding full price for this, topped with decietiful and misleading practices intermixed. It's just not acceptable anymore and I think reviewers are finally catching up to the rest of us who believe that ideology.