• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't do reviews either but trying to say there is no value in reviews is yikes. Also so called modern reviewers show just how much of a mess this game is atm -

Last edited:

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"objective reviews"

Here is an objective review of Anthem:

Anthem is a game of the video variety. It was developed by Bioware and published by Electronic Arts. You can play it on a game platform and use that platform's controller mechanism to play it. It has video graphics and sounds. I cannot give you a concrete release date because apparently being out, fully playable and open to further spending does not constitute a release, thus this is considered a subjective quality of the game, so it doesn't belong in this review. No score.

Have fun. (Not with the game tho, because "fun" is subjective, just have fun in general.)

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I normally don't bother replying in threads like this but I am. He isn't wrong why should I trust the opinion of a "reviewer" and "professional" that can't play the game properly versus a streamer who is playing with skill and in depth like say Gothalion? I know this forum is quick to dick stomp all over any Microsoft personal.

But I've seen some real idiot reviews this guy sure he works for MS but he plays all kinds of stuff and dude can play.

Play it if you like if you don't then don't move along it's pretty simple.

I completely understand that sentiment, but there's a lot of issues where streamers are often paid to play the game, and tend not to have the same separation between sponsorship dollars and review teams.

This is, of course, not all streamers. But the lines are more heavily blurred in the streaming space. And there's even "reviewers" for traditional websites that have this problem as well.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Agree with him in one way, not necessarily about this or any particular game - you are better off trying a game yourself, friends impressions, streaming etc. I had fun with red dead 2, but the reviews seemed disconnected from mine and pretty much everyone I knows expierence.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If a reviewer didn't know how to do a combo, is that the reviewer's fault? Or the games fault for not teaching combos clearly?
This is 100% true. The game does a piss poor job of teaching you how the various systems and perks work. IN fact, most of the time it's non-existent.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
"objective reviews"

Here is an objective review of Anthem:

Anthem is a game of the video variety. It was developed by Bioware and published by Electronic Arts. You can play it on a game platform and use that platform's controller mechanism to play it. It has video graphics and sounds. I cannot give you a concrete release date because apparently being out, fully playable and open to further spending does not constitute a release, thus this is considered a subjective quality of the game, so it doesn't belong in this review. No score.

Have fun. (Not with the game tho, because "fun" is subjective, just have fun in general.)
Edited for editorial content.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ybarra like "reviewers don't know what they're doing" but then like "I don't do reviews because everyone has opinions" .... which is exactly what reviews are.

Bro.

C'mon.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

37f584cd3a9e7d563d469adb86288c45.gif

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
I think that's maybe what Anthem wants to be, but it's not quite there yet. Maybe it will be. The frustrating part of the combo system is that when you understand how it works, it's pretty cool and a neat wrinkle to the combat system, but the game's tutorial never explains how it works, you only pickup on its existence from item descriptions, and you need to dig through a menu to find out a proper explanation (or look up a YouTube video). How does that happen for something so critical to high-level competent play?? Whether or not a reviewer should/shouldn't put all that together, the way Anthem doesn't even acknowledge one of its own combat systems is highly indicative of other design oversights.
Thanks for the reply, from all I've read it definitely sounds like the lack of on-boarding of the combo system is just one of the numerous critical issues the title has... it just seems that unfortunately this one has become a focus for the discussion.

Have to say this whole discussion does put a interesting spotlight on the growing popularity of "live service based" games and how they work with the traditional multi-title review model most major sites employ... People who review games for sites like Gamespot/Eurogamer and so on don't generally have the time to stick with a single game that continue to evolve as the years go on.

Not sure if there is a worthwhile potential solution or if we will continue to see those types of games mainly covered by sites and individuals that focus on said single title rather than the more major sites that try to cover all titles on release only.

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those two are always up to get some wars going on... Especially retweeting Fanboys posts...
Retweeting Crapgamer is the worst, understand people who are passionate about your brand but a guy like that who acts like a 12 year old console warrior is just toxic. Not to mention he has made racist comments in the past. Not a good look.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I get the idea of being frustrated that someone doesn't like a game because they couldn't figure out controls that *you* think are easy. It's like recommending Monster Hunter to friends, but they give up on it because they're not used to the idea of dedicated weapon mechanics. And it's not like Monster Hunter isn't filled with tons of obscure mechanics that you need outside help to understand.

However, the problem with this tweet in general is that this is a game that was released to the public *early* and then reviewers had to base it on *those* restraints. People had to pay money, one way or another, to get early access with the game, yet now we're seeing people falling back on saying "oh it'll get better later". Not a great look when EA already put out an elaborate spreadsheet about how to play the game early!

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What I will say is that I don't fuck with reviews either. Playing it, watching videos and reading impressions on forums or listening to what my friends tell me is more than enough.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of formatting would that be? The Trump Format?

So following your argument, he is both discrediting Reviews and discrediting his own suggestion of Modern Reviews?

lol what kind of "formatting" puts quotations around a random word for no reason

Trying to show emphasis on a word on twitter, Apparently Mike Ybarra does it... millions probably do as well:

Unless someone is going to argue that he's discrediting that as well.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think it should be done more. If someone does a crap job then they should be called out on doing a crap job. Simple as. Feelings will be hurt on both sides but right now it only seems to be ok for journo's to criticize everything but people can't criticize those journo's in response. Its a complete joke. You would expect journalists to hold high standards for their work and make sure every avenue is covered in their reviews. It's their responsibility to give a fair an unbiased review and make any subjective criticisms be known and identified as being subjective.

Nobody is preventing 'journos' from being criticized. Ybarra, an executive for a major videogame company, is being criticizing for calling a review "embarrassing," because the person who wrote it was critical of how the game does not explain all of its mechanics, of note in this tweet, the combo system. I haven't played Anthem and I probably won't, but other's have said the same thing that this reviewer has said -- that the game doesn't do a great job of explaining the various systems at work. This is most likely the review that Ybarra is mentioning:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/anthem-game-review-honestly-its-not-finished/

It's a well thought out, well written, balanced review of the game. There doesn't seem to be any "bias" informing this review. It doesn't seem unfair to Anthem. The reviewer writes that some of the gameplay is terrific and has some great moments, but that the game has some key flaws that should have kept it unreleased for a little while longer for them to focus on it. One of those things is that the reviewer notes the, apparently, terrible load times and that many of the systems aren't well explained in the game.

I don't see how being critical of those flaws is embarrassing as Ybarra suggests.

Also, I'm not sure why anybody would think that a videogame review is anything but subjective. Criticism of entertainment and media is subjective by nature because enjoying arts and entertainment is a subjective thing. This reviewer doesn't imply that his review is anything but any other person's review.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can you engage with a system if you were never aware of it's existence?
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a reviewer to look for a combo system in a game with extensive melee combat. I can't really speak to the particulars of Anthem, but even Klepek says that they are mentioned somewhere in the menus.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
wow game reviewers are even more powerful than i thought if they have mind control abilities.

That's obviously not what I meant. A review just doesn't really give you the information necessary to disagree unless you've played the game. You just get one guys opinion, and selected facts meant to support that opinion. Whereas actually watching the game, as Ybarra suggests, does let you get a fairly decent impression - you can see that the load screens are long, the dialogue is good/bad, get a sense of the gameplay.

(I don't think reviews are worthless, but their value is as criticism not consumer advice. And even that value disappears if people aren't allowed to criticise them)

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a reviewer to look for a combo system in a game with extensive melee combat. I can't really speak to the particulars of Anthem, but even Klepek says that they are mentioned somewhere in the menus.
Patrick went digging for an explanation after he saw "Aura Combo" mentioned on a loot item he picked up. The game doesn't tutorial this rather large mechanic by all accounts and that is pretty piss poor design.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Air quoting reviews, stop the whining, "modern reviewers" as streamers or influencers who the gaming pubs see as more lucrative n beneficial these days for their end.

There is an obvious intent here fam

ah, quotes make words have different intent then i initially thought. :( my bad fam. he also said to play the demo and talk with your friends (gaming) so is that kind of hypocritical on him then? Influencial streamer says buy it because we assume he is paid to say this and then convinces the person watching because they cant make up their mind from what they see. then says, but wait, talk with your gaming friends and also play the game for yourself to see if you think you will like it. what is it ybarra? we need him to come clean and clarify what he means with "modern review".

this stuff is getting too comlpex; trump, ethics, position of power, gamergaters? damn i miss a lot of stuff here. yeeesh

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is preventing 'journos' from being criticized. Ybarra, an executive for a major videogame company, is being criticizing for calling a review "embarrassing," because the person who wrote it was critical of how the game does not explain all of its mechanics, of note in this tweet, the combo system. I haven't played Anthem and I probably won't, but other's have said the same thing that this reviewer has said -- that the game doesn't do a great job of explaining the various systems at work. This is most likely the review that Ybarra is mentioning:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/anthem-game-review-honestly-its-not-finished/

It's a well thought out, well written, balanced review of the game. There doesn't seem to be any "bias" informing this review. It doesn't seem unfair to Anthem. The reviewer writes that some of the gameplay is terrific and has some great moments, but that the game has some key flaws that should have kept it unreleased for a little while longer for them to focus on it. One of those things is that the reviewer notes the, apparently, terrible load times and that many of the systems aren't well explained in the game.

I don't see how being critical of those flaws is embarrassing as Ybarra suggests.

Also, I'm not sure why anybody would think that a videogame review is anything but subjective. Criticism of entertainment and media is subjective by nature because enjoying arts and entertainment is a subjective thing. This reviewer doesn't imply that his review is anything but any other person's review.

the pertinent parts if it is indeed the review he's talking about

The one interesting thing about each class's range of powers is a "combo" system that promises more damage done to your foes if you stack various effects onto them. But Anthem never even begins to explain to players how exactly this works. You'll first learn that combos are in the game when you use your "ultimate" ability, which takes the longest to recharge, and see that attack's explosion of effects covered in the all-caps word "COMBO!" Dig through the game's menus and you'll see a notice that combos exist, but the game never tells you how to equip the right powers so that you can create your own combos.

I look at this system and imagine coordinating with teammates to, say, get one person on ice-weapon duty, another on fire, and another on poisonous gas, and then have pre-mission chats about which order we should fire these powers—somewhat like how combo attacks worked in Mass Effect: Andromeda. Maybe BioWare will add information to help players figure this exact question out. That's not yet in the game.

• I still don't understand half of the power values listed in the game's menus, let alone how to successfully trigger combos with teammates

doesn't seem to match ybarra's characterization at all

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, so he just always does that. He really is Trumpian.

Today I learned I really don't like Mike Ybarra lol
He's using these quotes to denote a term that has a specific meaning within the context of certain genres. It's neither emphatic nor Trumpian. He's rightfully getting shit in this thread but don't add this totally benign tweet to the evidence file.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, so he just always does that. He really is Trumpian.

Today I learned I really don't like Mike Ybarra lol

I think we can criticize Mike Ybarra's tweets here without trying to compare him to Donald Trump. If Ybarra puts phrases in quotes when he informally writes something, which is a common thing that a lot of people do when they want to emphasize a certain word or suggest something is an uncommon phrase, that doesn't make him "Trumpian." The President of the United States having a basic lack of understanding around communication, tone, and history, and then putting that on display every day, is an embarrassment because he's the leader of the most powerful country in the world and he's incredibly influential because of that position. Ybarra might be a mid-level exec of a videogame company, but him making informal posts on twitter in a particular style, using quotation marks for emphasis, is not "Trumpian."

That diminishes the unprecedented nastiness of Trump, and loses focus on where Ybarra deserves criticism.

(In this post, I put "Trumpian" in quotes because it is a word someone else is using to describe Ybarra. That does not make me "Trumpian.")

Last edited:

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): System Wars
Stupid corporate comment is stupid, but would be one explanation why MS 1st party is in such a bad place. ;)

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling
He's using these quotes to denote a term that has a specific meaning within the context of certain genres, it's neither emphatic nor Trumpian. He's rightfully getting shit in this thread but don't add this totally benign tweet to the evidence file.
Also I think we can criticize Mike Ybarra's tweets here without trying to compare him to Donald Trump. If Ybarra puts phrases in quotes when he informally writes something, which is a common thing that a lot of people do when they want to emphasize a certain word or suggest something is an uncommon phrase, that doesn't make him "Trumpian." The President of the United States having a basic lack of understanding around communication, tone, and history, and then putting that on display every day, is an embarrassment because he's the leader of the most powerful country in the world and he's incredibly influential because of that position. Ybarra might be a mid-level exec of a videogame company, but him making informal posts on twitter in a particular style, using quotation marks for emphasis, is not "Trumpian."

That diminishes the unprecedented nastiness of Trump, and loses focus on where Ybarra deserves criticism.

(In this post, I put "Trumpian" in quotes because it is a word someone else is using to describe Ybarra. That does not make me "Trumpian.")

People are outright defending his bullshit and my trolling is the thing getting called out lol

It's not that gravely important. Time to go "play" Apex.
He's your bitch eatin' crackers apparently.
AmazingGroundedCoypu-size_restricted.gif

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Aaaaalllllll this because that stupid over blown tomb quest lmao
Talk about a butterfly effect