• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
dw6OnWE.jpg

Mike Ybarra was VP of Xbox, he's now working at Blizzard (we could guess Blizzard is in possession of devkits).

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Wooo

Edit: yeah I/O aka input / output.

How the entire system handles data.

The custom SSD solution including its controller and the software stack on top of that which Mark Cerny mentioned in the Wired article.

And probably how it works with RAM. The RAM that we don't know about yet.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Surely breaking a NDA there!?

Or referring to the Spider-Man demo etc?

OP: Can we have the actual link to see the full context please?

xeroyear

Nov 8, 2018
You should at least provide context for his remark.

Mike Ybarra is talking about the SSD in PS5, correct?

By all accounts developers are said to be very pleased with its performance.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i don't believe them. i think this is just all marketing crap.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It makes a lot of sense.
Custom, highly optimised, embedded storage could eclipse generic pc solutions.

Cant wait for the PS5 announcement!

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad these new consoles seem to be trying to push boundaries within the limits of affordability. PS4/Xbox One gen felt a bit safe to me to be honest.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Going back 20/30 years, consoles alway made a jump past PC in terms of performance (not actual power, but a better output on specs), and after a couple a year PC exceeded them again. The fact the console existed, quickly pushed PC to go even higher. I feel like the PS4/One was the first gen that jump was not noticeable, and probably non-existent. So, it is not crazy to suggest we will go back to the same leapfrog over the next 2-3 years. And everyone will be better cause of it.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
It's weird to read him saying these things after all his years at MS lol, btw the PS5 reveal will be really exciting.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
For a gamimg enthusiastic forum, im surprised the amount of people not knowing what's storage I/O

Oct 27, 2017
Im going out on a limb and will say this means the PS5 will be upgradeable with very expensive custom Sony parts. Remember the fun everyone had with those PSVITA memory cards? Get ready for "upgrade your ram if you want this game to run at 60fps" "this game is only playable in *upgraded processor pro*".

Which would still beat having to buy an entire new console like we did last time, but would still SUCK, because the audience keeps getting fragmented.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
but how? i don't understand how it could be so much better than high end PC drives. why would a leap that far forward be used for a propriety console drive?
It won't be mind boggling, just developers that will use them in efficient ways to optimize games. I can imagine for the average consumers that hasn't touched a high-end PC it will be pretty significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.