• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the Next Gen thread now, people are claiming PS5 will have a 14 TF GPU with 24GB's of RAM, 8/16 of that being HBM2, for as low as $399, some times you need to be conservative, especially after SX is only using 16GB's of RAM, which is smaller than anybody ever thought for a NG Console.

Who's saying that?

Silvard

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Going back 20/30 years, consoles alway made a jump past PC in terms of performance (not actual power, but a better output on specs), and after a couple a year PC exceeded them again. The fact the console existed, quickly pushed PC to go even higher. I feel like the PS4/One was the first gen that jump was not noticeable, and probably non-existent. So, it is not crazy to suggest we will go back to the same leapfrog over the next 2-3 years. And everyone will be better cause of it.
The problem is that up until the start of the 7th gen there wasn't really a market for bleeding edge consumer graphics hardware, and the highest end GPU were comparable in price, if not cheaper, than a video game console which was usually sold at a loss (while the GPU had to make a profit). That changed throughout the 7th gen, when the ceiling for GPU prices and thus the performance benchmark for consumer computer graphics shot up, but the price point of consoles stayed relatively the same. It's now basically impossible for a console to outperform a PC in raw power when they're anywhere from $400-600 for the entire package and the highest end GPU is $1k+, even if the consoles do punch above their weight due to optimization. What they can do is compete with USPs such as what they're doing now with custom I/O (though the PC has also been incomparably faster there for decades now, and can also use RAM drives if set up for it).

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't understand how 1TB/s gets me better games than 5GB/s or 1GB/s. This whole bragging point is so bizarre to me.

And it's not the sequential write/read speed that matters anyway is it? It's the speed at which it read random tiny bits of data, which is probably a fraction of the theoretical max sequential speed.

We need someone to run CrystalDiskMark on the thing, but if it's truly faster than anything humanly possible on PC, neat.

But again, to what purpose? As far as games are concerned it's pretty irrelevant imo.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
By the time the next gen consoles come out - there will be aspects (GPU, CPU, etc) that will already have better specs.

Either ways, gonna be exciting to see when I get my future PS5.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I remember last gen around 2011-12 when people were throwing around next-gen speculations, and anyone who said PS4 would have 4GB GDDR5 memory were being laughed out of the room because highest end cards back then had 1.5-2GB at best. These things are always hilarious in the hindsight.
That's actually correct, PS4 has 3GB's of GDDR5 for VRAM, people get a little bit confused with unified ram vs separate pools on PC.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Keep your expectations on a reasonable level and before anything gets officially benchmarked, take everything that gets posted or hinted at with reservations. :)

My macbook 2018 reaches 2GB read so ps5 likely over 2.5GB because of thermals/power.

edit: I now believe it's over 3 GB/s read, and less than 1.5 GB/s write. An entire game could load under 30 seconds. A whole level in 3 seconds.

If MS use standard nvme drives, it will be more user friendly for user replacement but I can't believe MS would let Sony have more than 150% their read speed.

Last edited:

axo_tio

Oct 25, 2017
Mike Ybarra was referring to XSX with that coment, saying that claims made by Sony about I/O are real so Xbox would likely be on a similar level.

It's from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcZtZaZmGwM

Where they are talking all the time about XSX and how would it compare to high end PCs (not mentioning Sony/PS5 at all). Then at 1:29:31 Ybarra makes that coment. The guys notice it and reply at 1:30:29.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I still don't understand how 1TB/s gets me better games than 5GB/s or 1GB/s. This whole bragging point is so bizarre to me.

And it's not the sequential write/read speed that matters anyway is it? It's the speed at which it read random tiny bits of data, which is probably a fraction of the theoretical max sequential speed.

We need someone to run CrystalDiskMark on the thing, but if it's truly faster than anything humanly possible on PC, neat.

But again, to what purpose? As far as games are concerned it's pretty irrelevant imo.

Well I guess it gives Devs the ability to add much more of what is happening in the game. Spider-man 2018 comes to mind
Watch the video on how much memory they had to work with when streaming the city:

Just having a better solution will gives us better open world games.

Nov 14, 2017
You don't know what it pulls, regardless the vast majority of that power is going to two places, GPU and CPU. Everything else gets scraps.
They don't need that much cooling for 100w, which is roughly what the current gen boxes pull.

It's random I/O that the PCIe4.0 SSDs should be amazing at. So, those small tiny reads. The theoretical maximum is kinda moot as you say.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember promises like this since the PS2.

They generally don't come close to delivering on it but I prefer it to just some boring bargain off the shelf PC parts, even if that would probably give us the same exact games at half the price. Can't deny this is more exciting. Especially for launch.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully they have some revolutionary compression techniques as well 'cause you'll probably only be able to put a handful of AAA games on them

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Dev kits probably have lots of I/O but the final product? HDMI, couple of USB ports and maybe an SPDIF surely?

axo_tio

Oct 25, 2017
He does say what Sony has shown in relation to I/O is real. What is strange is that he says XSX could be on that level too. Wich could imply he has access to PS5 devkits but not XSX?

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
They can work on a solution that gives them lightning fast performance in read speeds (write speeds not so important here) without having to look at supporting the various different configurations of hardware

Oh yeah! That is the secret sauce this time. relatively "slow write speeds" and ultrafast read speeds. Makes sense! Internet installs have only 120 MBps and BluRay tops around half that. . There is little benefit to write speeds higher than 120MB/s with the exception of copying games from an external USB-C/Thunderbolt SSD, which probably tops at 1 GBps. I can definitely believe 3500 MBps read speed now. Paired with 1000+ MBps write speed.

One whole game would be transferred from your external to the PS5 internal hotness in 100 seconds max. If it's broken in levels, it's likely going to be less than 10 seconds before you can start the game. Still quite acceptable.

Oct 27, 2017
The World

axo_tio

Oct 25, 2017
He says it right there in the OP...

The first part of the message was more than likely referring to Xbox.
Mike Ybarra was referring to XSX with that coment, saying that claims made by Sony about I/O are real so Xbox would likely be on a similar level.

It's from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcZtZaZmGwM

Where they are talking all the time about XSX and how would it compare to high end PCs (not mentioning Sony/PS5 at all). Then at 1:29:31 Ybarra makes that coment. The guys notice it and reply at 1:30:29.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
scwx9eT.png

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I don't trust anyone called Mike. I really have to get over it. There's a lot of Mikes in the world and I'm sure a lot of them are lovely.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017

Thanks for clarifying. The Windows Central speculating that Series X's SSD speed is about 2GB/S is underestimating then. The general consensus (based on speculations, patents and what other devs have hinted on) is Sony will have a "much" faster solution...i.e. 5+ GB/s. It will be interesting to see if MS can close the gap before launch.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't doubt they have pcie 4 nvme drives, but I wouldn't describe that as better than anything PC has seen. It's cutting edge, and I fully expect they'll both have faster drives than most people have in their PCs (sata ssd/low end nvme), but PC is a broad market. They're gonna top 5 GB/sec and have it in consumer production in a year? We'll see. I just hope it isn't a proprietary part.

Status
Not open for further replies.