• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Over the last couple years I’ve:

• Moved further left

Votes: 667 69.8%
  • Stayed about the same

Votes: 227 23.8%
  • Moved further right

Votes: 35 3.7%
  • Thor: The Political Compass

Votes: 26 2.7%

• Total voters

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/1608732051481444356?s=46&t=de7Pn9L5JVVlQXw2209R-Q

Millennials are shattering the oldest rule in politics

Western conservatives are at risk from generations of voters who are no longer moving to the right as they age

FlNdRgfXkAAlQYh

Pikachu gifs all around but the kids (getting older) are alright.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
This makes some of the midterm threads in here after that one exit poll more embarrassing than they already were. And that's saying something

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Yeah I remember people telling me I'll become a conservative when I get older… I just don't see that happening.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more radical the older I get

If anything every time I get older I think "I was too tame before I have to be more hardcore to get shit done"

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, the opposite of that outdated adage is true.

At this rate, I'll get unhinged tattooed over my forehead by my 50s.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I wonder what the reasoning for that is. Do we fear change less? Do we have less wealth/property so the dragon-horde brain of thinking isn't kicking in? Is it a better access to information? Is it media literacy? (lol it's not that one)

I certainly don't see myself ever drifting to the right.

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
I think I'm right in saying that Millenials were the first generation to be worse off than their parents? If so, makes total sense.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Pulling this out of my ass of course, but I wonder if there's something to the idea that the three generations noted for their ability to accumulate wealth and assets got more conservative as they aged, vs the one generation that…well, didn't.

I could be completely off-base, but this was the first idea that popped into my head when I looked at that graph.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this could possibly have anything to do with the older generation maintaining a viselike grip on all of our fucking throats and trying to kill us all off en masse via climate change, vaccine denial, weekly mass shootings, and general bigotry and refusal of societal progress

It is a mystery

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting small-scale counterpoint: In Sweden, the conservative (M) and nationalist/founded-by-neonazis-party (SD) were the ones most likely to win highschoolers' votes had they been able to participate in the 2022 election. 27 and 21 percent, respectively.

And like so many others have noted: If millenials had been on the same wealth trajectory as their parents and grandparents, there's no doubt in my mind that we'd also see the same historical political trajectory with age.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People don't get more conservative as they get older, the conservative party typically re-orients around the social center, or "left wing" a few decades ago. It then entices the wealthier older generation with lower taxes. Problem with this is that the modern conservatives have refused to re-orient, our taxes are so low we have a barely functioning government, and millennials have made no money, like shockingly little money due to massive wealth hoarding. That's without saying anything about the climate crisis.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Makes sense. After getting screwed over by aging conservatives for 40 years, why would we want to join those jerks?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
the ones who've lived through and seen the systemic bullshit for what it is reacting in kind, shocking...

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Well yeah, because the parties in the US are basically center left or populist fascist. That and the Democrats have become much more reasonable about civil rights (coy don't ask don't tell to today).

It could be that fiscally we are getting more conservative, but I think most of us have figured out long ago the whole conservative thing in that regard is total bullshit with Republicans.

I think one of the key differences is that we know how to use computers, we constantly question the source, and we don't depend on cable news for information.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
also, think about how old we all are now, into our 30s/40s and how much representation/political power we actually have in worldwide govt considering our relative size.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
How can you?

The system that promised you "success" is broken.

Get a education--ok, know you have loans and a 30-40k job and could barely afford rent.

Buy a house. Unless you're dual income, a doctor, lawyer, tech worker, you will most likely need dual incomes to even be comfy. Some people will never buy property.

Ok, then rent first to save up. LOL have you seen rents today? You could barely save for retirement let alone a downpayment.

Stick to a career path and work hard. Some careers barely pay living wages. Working hard is no guarantee of anything.

It reminds of this great video the channel The Financial Diet. Outdated Boomer advice.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVjUEgGnlgY

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the graph, I find it quite ironic Boomers make a hard turn to the right as soon as they hit the age of eligibility for Medicare and Social Security.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
As noted already, the fact that my generation is the first in along time to be less well off than the previous generation due to them hoarding the wealth, it stands to reason that my generation is more willing to not accept the status quo.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Direct results of the growing wealth disparity. I feel like people tend to turn conservative once they got their "fuck you got mine" like a big house.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
not from US or UK but i was born in '82 and became a leftist basically after reading Naomi Klein's No Logo when i was a teenager, and i havent grown more conservative about anything since. why would i..? when right-wingers are observably wrong about every damn thing that matters; the environment, the economy, crime prevention, taxes, science, religion, race relations, abortion.. i could go on.

all i can think of nowadays is just fuck em, get out of the way of progress, and let us sane people try to save whats still left of the biosphere.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Me at 20: I prefer a moderate conservative in charge of the government to keep things in check.
Me at 30: I believe we should nationalize McDonalds.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I've never believed in that crap. I think as people get older they get more political and follow whichever path.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
told wifey about this. She wondered if it's due also to folks being less religious as well.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I'm 29 and have only gotten more radical Left.
Pulling this out of my ass of course, but I wonder if there's something to the idea that the three generations noted for their ability to accumulate wealth and assets got more conservative as they aged, vs the one generation that…well, didn't.

I could be completely off-base, but this was the first idea that popped into my head when I looked at that graph.
Probably isn't an insignificant reason but there are probably plenty of other reasons as well. As we see with homeownership in the UK not even owning a home is making us more conservative. The system sucks and I think we can see it for what is is.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I remember people telling me I'll become a conservative when I get older… I just don't see that happening.

I really think it's as simple as this - people prone to becoming conservatives want to conserve their accumulated wealth and land as they age, and the current crop of old conservatives got so conservative that they're not allowing millennials and gen z to accumulate any wealth or land to conserve.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
Maybe it's because conservatives have openly gone off the deep end and show open hostility towards us lol

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

I guess it's more because they assume you are more financial independent when you come of a certain age and that comes with a level of certain fiscal conservatism. Never bought into it tho and yeah I don't see myself ever moving away from where I stand politically either.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
Conservatives have basically given everything up that would appeal to an older person (perceived integrity, financial prowess, hard work, religion) for being whiney bigots.

They literally threw it all in the trash to worship Trump. People who grew up during that time aren't going to forget that kind of betrayal.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's exactly this. We're the first generation in a long time to be poorer than our parents. Just further reinforces Income/Empathy Gap theory, IMO.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to be all fuck you got mine when you didn't get shit.

Yup. Almost every Millennial knows they got lied to and screwed over growing up. "Go to college and you'll be successful!" when you end up with nothing but a huge debt, a job that doesn't pay enough, poor healthcare, no ability to invest wealth, and no upward mobility.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Late 30s here. I was a hardcore leftie when I first voted, and I've only gotten more left-leaning since. My parents have been the same way though, so I always laughed in the silly faces of people who said I'd get more conservative as I got older.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
SMH at gen x. You fuckers gave us RATM, Nirvana, Beastie Boys and Fight Club, but you turned around and became the Man you all complained about. You class traitors.