• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 90's comedy conception of hetero relationships where women don't like sex and men are constantly trying to avoid spending time with their partner to do guy things kinda kills the funny for me. Seinfeld isn't as much about this, but there are elements here and there. It's still a funny show regardless. Everybody Loves Raymond is entirely about this relationship dynamic and it's the fucking worst. Friends is fairly in opposition to this dynamic with its relationships and it holds up decently today some homophobia notwithstanding.
That's a big piece of Seinfeld's innovation. Elaine wasn't a typical sitcom female lead.

Elaine was as raunchy as the men. She was into sex as much as the men when bragged about her exploits. There was an entire episode about her buying massive amounts of contraceptives even.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seinfeld works still because it never got into "big" issues. It focused on minutia. Like does someone stand to close when they talk, waiting for a table in a restaurant, finding your car in a large parking lot...etc

These things don't get into hot topics and demeaning relevant annoyances no matter the year.
While that's true, there are some pointed conversations, jokes, and jabs featuring then-present attitudes towards certain demographics, like minorities and homosexuals. Keep in mind it is a group of straight, white people discussing stuff often outside of their own breadth of experience.

Though I remember it being somewhat innocent and often progressive, so I guess if nothing from the show has been singled out yet, there probably is nothing that nasty in the whole 9-season run.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I was kind of wondering this recently, if Seinfeld holds up in an increasingly PC world. Like, what's the most offensive thing in Seinfeld by today's standards? I honestly can't think of much.

IIRC, there was an episode that cracked a gay recruitment joke as well as an episode (don't know if it's the same one) where Elaine trying to convert a gay man she was attracted to was a sub-plot. Those flat-out wouldn't fly in a modern comedy today.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Millennials probably grew up watching Seinfeld, so it would stand to reason that it holds up.
The oldest Millennials were nearly adults by the time Seinfeld ended, and the absolute youngest Millennials were still around long enough before streaming went mainstream that they would have inevitably seen plenty via syndication, so yeah. I'd wager Millennials are the fanbase's biggest demographic after Gen X, above Boomers.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
Dunno why some of them acted like Seinfeld wouldn't fly because some scenes would be too controversial.

Have some of them not seen any current comedies?

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The whole time watching that video, I was wondering if any of these people watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. That show is modern, and has gone WAY farther than Seinfeld ever did.

I think something that they don't quite understand is that like the Sunny gang, the Seinfeld four are kind of scummy people.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Teenagers and college students are NOT millennials. They are gen z. Millenials are in their mid 20s to late 30s. Most of us grew up on watching Seinfeld reruns in the early 2000s.

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
I watch it with my 9 and 10 year old daughters (skipping some episodes) they both find it crazy funny. They both think George is the best to boot, lol. They wanted to name our puppy Costanza. I take it as confirmation that I'm raising them right, HA!

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think something that they don't quite understand is that like the Sunny gang, the Seinfeld four are kind of scummy people.
Yep, I mean the finale is literally about all the people they fucked over, over the course of a decade.
I watch it with my 9 and 10 year old daughter (skipping some episodes) they both find it crazy funny. They both think George is the best to boot, lol. I take it as confirmation that I'm raising them right, HA!
Lol your kids are awesome. Would be so easy for kids to like Kramer the most since he's the most cartoonish, but George? You're raising kids with good taste!

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
They're not aware that the characters are supposed to be shitty people are they?

The "teens and college" kids in this come off insufferably.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I was kind of wondering this recently, if Seinfeld holds up in an increasingly PC world. Like, what's the most offensive thing in Seinfeld by today's standards? I honestly can't think of much.
Most of the time when the show had something bad in it, it was usually about why that thing was bad in the first place, so I think like 99% of the show still holds up, but I can think of a few transphobic jokes here and there for example.

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people dont like guys who constantly have casual sex with an insane amount of women or guys? but I think thats just this website thing and not a real world thing

Oct 27, 2017
Young people today (are they really even gen y / millenials at this point?) are so fucking dumb. The premise of the show flies right over their heads.

The characters are supposed to be horrible assholes. That's the point of the whole show. A show about nothing inhabited by horrible/miserable assholes.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Seinfeld feels so old simply because of how much it affected the sitcom genre. Watching it is going to feel like it's been done to death, but the damn show did it first.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Gen Z needs a buzzword so people stop lumping them in with the millennial generation. This is stupid

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Seinfeld is a great show that holds up much better than most shows from it's time period.

Edit: I was born in 95, am I a millennial or gen Z?

Edit 2: A quick Google search says that people born from 81-96 are millennials.

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to believe it was created by Larry David. Curb is genius.

Ya know...to me, Curb is kind of like a rated R version of Seinfeld. You can definitely see the similarities in humor.

OT. I love Seinfeld and it still holds up for me because we all have these really awkward moments throughout life that could be pitched as an episode. It's kind of relatable to a degree.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I watched this as it aired as a child and continue to watch off and on since it went off the air.

still a classic.

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Those kids in the video aren't millennials. I know a lot of people my age/generational bracket who like(d) Seinfeld. I even had a friend in high school who was a huge fan of the series, he owned the entire series box set.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't know what the millennial age range is. I was born in December of 84, which made me 4 years old when Seinfeld premiered and 13 years old when it came to a end. I wasn't interested in that shit back then. Wasn't until I was in my 20's that I got into the show. I feel like its more of a gen x show.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Absolutely! It was the ultimate Millenial show and many of us were fans when the show was still on the air lmfao. I was ten, ffs. These people weren't even born. And just like the (early) Simpsons/Fresh Prince, rampant syndication through adolescence ensured that the show became a real driving force behind establishing our collective senses of humor.

Plus yeah, those ppl aren't millenials, come on! Shame!

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know what the millennial age range is. I was born in December of 84, which made me 4 years old when Seinfeld premiered and 13 years old when it came to a end. I wasn't interested in that shit back then. Wasn't until I was in my 20's that I got into the show. I feel like its more of a gen x show.
Millennial ends with anyone born after 9/11

if you are post 9/11 you arent a millennial

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Jerry Seinfeld is milquetoast and it's pretty insufferable watching his stand up spliced in throughout the show.

modewarp

Oct 25, 2017
That's a big piece of Seinfeld's innovation. Elaine wasn't a typical sitcom female lead.

Elaine was as raunchy as the men. She was into sex as much as the men when bragged about her exploits. There was an entire episode about her buying massive amounts of contraceptives even.

"I mentioned the bisque..."

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
As to the OP people grew up on Seinfeld.

From what I've gathered the low to mid 20's girl is watching the Office and maybe a slight reference to parks and recreation. Toss in the million of reality tv by both

YMMV

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
Still good. I feel like my friends quote It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia more though.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The Chinese Restauraunt and The Note both still hold up amazingly well. Fucking hilarious.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Pinching pennies here, but the first episode did premiere in 1989. It was almost a year later before the "second" episode aired.

Also, "pinching pennies" is obviously the wrong expression.

It really is. This show is the 90's. Like wtf?

I mean, if he'd just said 80s I'd get it. Stuff from the early 90s can sometimes be hard to distinguish from late 80s stuff.

But 70s? Has the guy ever even seen a photograph from the 70s?

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Those kids have no taste.

While that's true, there are some pointed conversations, jokes, and jabs featuring then-present attitudes towards certain demographics, like minorities and homosexuals. Keep in mind it is a group of straight, white people discussing stuff often outside of their own breadth of experience.
And more often than not, they're depicted as the idiots who are totally in the wrong whenever they do or say something ignorant/bigoted.