• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
D4tV8ZBWAAE7x8T.jpg

I always thought they'd just stick with Makoto Yuki for both since it's a gender-neutral name, but I guess this makes life easier since Persona already has 2 Makotos (Persona 3's Yuki & Persona 5's Nijima). That plus this was a nice way to throw manga fans a bone (as Makoto Yuki's manga name was Minato Arisato). For reference, this is Minako.

Source: SEGA Heroes Character Request Survey

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
Justice for Minako.

Wiping All Out shoulda been in Smash.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Why did she keep her name but Minato didn't? lol
The anime names take priority over the manga names (as was the case for Makoto Yuki, Yu Narukami, & Ren Amamiya) since, unless I'm mistaken, Atlus actually has a hand in choosing the anime names that eventually go on to be official. In Minako's case, she wasn't in the P3 movies, & thus wasn't given an official name. So I guess Atlus & Sega thought they should give a nod to the fans of the Minato Arisato name.

Wiping All Out shoulda been in Smash.
You speak the truth.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I like it.

She deserves better. Better writing, cooler personality and all makes it better than main game. Plus you can turn down people instead of basically cheating on everyone.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Always bugged me how Persona MCs get official names a while after the release of the game, or they get one name at first, and then another name comes out that replaces it, which I think has been the case for the last three right? If they're gonna get those names anyway, they should get them sooner so I don't have to readjust lol

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Cool. Now put out a definitive version of P3 that includes all the PS2 stuff and the PSP stuff. And get the best game of all-time off the fucking Vita already. P4G slumming it like that is fucking criminal.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Always bugged me how Persona MCs get official names a while after the release of the game, or they get one name at first, and then another name comes out that replaces it, which I think has been the case for the last three right? If they're gonna get those names anyway, they should get them sooner so I don't have to readjust lol
I think it goes like this...
  1. Atlus releases a Persona game, no canon name is given at this time.
  2. A manga adaptation comes out for said Persona game & the author gets to name the main character.
  3. Atlus works with the anime staff to create an official name for the Persona game's anime adaptation.
  4. The anime name overrides the manga name as official due to Atlus' involvement with the creation of the anime name.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
  2. A manga adaptation comes out for said Persona game & the author gets to name the main character.
  3. Atlus works with the anime staff to create an official name for the Persona game's anime adaptation.
  4. The anime name overrides the manga name as official due to Atlus' involvement with the creation of the anime name.

Basically this. Only ever started after they started the anime/spin-off train where you can't have a player named protag.

I'm thankful that they actually gave her the best name of the fandom anyway. Still sad we don't get a Minato, but I'll take it, especially since Minako actually exists out of one game. Here's hoping that trend continues(P3P remake when).

Oct 25, 2017
A random survey by SEGA America using a fan invented name is hardly what I'd consider "official."

More likely whoever threw together the survey googling "persona 3 femc name" which gives that as the top result.

On name related trivia: The official reason for not sticking with the manga name as canon for Persona 5 at least was that not sticking with the manga name for canon is tradition at this point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
A random survey by SEGA Europe using a fan invented name is hardly what I'd consider "official."

More likely whoever threw together the survey googling "persona 3 femc name" which gives that as the top result.

On name related trivia: The official reason for not sticking with the manga name as canon for Persona 5 at least was that not sticking with the manga name for canon is tradition at this point.
Sega & Atlus would still have to have some involvement since this would be used as reference.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As that same tweet noted this survey also lists Ren Amamiya and Joker separate in the Persona 5 section.

They also have Raido Kuzunoha as the only SMT character.

I honestly doubt they reached out to anyone official involved at Atlus for confirmation.

I also doubt they'd use a name fans invented while continuing to not use the name it was derived from.

If it was anything official they'd probably have used Kotone Shiomi as that's the only time they'd ever given her a name in official media.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017

Not quite actually, according to the notes in the P3 manga, he actually works with Atlus to come up with the names. Which makes the whole name changes make even less sense lol.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
Characters not having set, official names from the beginning is starting to irk me.

Why? I get to call my character Kirby McBeef and I'm happy about that.

Even so, does that mean we should approve of it like you did?

Edit: Also fuck Atlus for doing this. I had forgotten the option existed to begin with. Could be my mind blocking such garbage.

lol, you can get the guys fight over you in Tartarus too. I'd post the video but I don't want to get banned again.

These games are full of fan service.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
she's the best, her dialogue is cool and she's a bi-sexual protagonist in a big j-rpg thats kinda rare