• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Workers in China are being hooked up with brain-reading devices that feed information about their moods to their employers, raising concerns about the privacy of people's most basic emotions.

Electronic sensors that fit into hats and helmets are being used in China on an "unprecedented" scale to read employees' emotions, the South China Morning Post reports, in what firms say is part of a drive to increase efficiency and productivity.

The reports come amid a wider climate of Chinese authorities meddling in private data. Chinese messaging apps and social media sites such as WeChat and Weibo, which comply with government censorship and security demands, are widely viewed as being insecure.

More at the link

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ch-used-monitor-chinese-workers-emotions/amp/

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have working mind reading tech yet?

edit: can't read the link without registering. But that's definitely not "mind reading."

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It'll be cheapo passive electrodes that (when not disrupted by moving, blinking, hair, sweat) will tell you the overall alpha, beta, delta power distribution. There are certain alpha/theta combos that are good for telling you when you're "in the zone" in terms of working through a problem mentally, or when you're sleeping, but really it's a crapshoot..

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
some users "thought we could read their mind. This caused some discomfort and resistance in the beginning".

She added: "After a while they got used to the device. It looked and felt just like a safety helmet. They wore it all day at work."

That is just depressing.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
"Worker 17-B-Alpha-1 seems to not be happy with his work. Fire him and hire a replacement with better waves."

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
A coming societal challenge will be coming to grips with how to keep a tiny ruling class from using advancing technology as a multiplier to their ability to control and/or influence the general population.

I can imagine some dark times ahead before that is somewhat resolved.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So you could be laid off for just having that embarassing thing you did years ago pop in to your head. Thanks brain.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be cheapo passive electrodes that (when not disrupted by moving, blinking, hair, sweat) will tell you the overall alpha, beta, delta power distribution. There are certain alpha/theta combos that are good for telling you when you're "in the zone" in terms of working through a problem mentally, or when you're sleeping, but really it's a crapshoot..
Yeah this is not the mind reading technology people may think of when reading the article, it's quite simple in comparison. Still, not a great trajectory of occurrences for the future of this tech.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
MV5BNDA3OGMyZmEtZTllMy00ZWM5LWExOWEtYjFiNmQwMWI1YTYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjMxMDgyNzQ@._V1_.jpg

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You don't need mind-reading tech to know how Chinese workers working for a company that puts mind-reading helmets on their workforce feel. :lol

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Social media over here is basically the "lite" version of this. People spending all day every day trawling social media to start fights with other people they claim they can "read their minds" and know more about them... when talking to complete strangers.

This is on a whole other level of fucked up though. Far different when the state is eroding your privacy and committing crimes against humanity than annoying people consumed by social media who think they can mind read.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I don't need "mind reading" tech to know Jeff Bozos is gleeful right now.

This would be cool if companies installed psychiatrists as part of their human resource staff but 99% won't.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Social media over here is basically the "lite" version of this. People spending all day every day trawling social media to start fights with other people they claim they can "read their minds" and know more about them... when talking to complete strangers.

This is on a whole other level of fucked up though. Far different when the state is eroding your privacy and committing crimes against humanity than annoying people consumed by social media who think they can mind read.

I'd say social media addicts reveal a lot more than this test about themselfs.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A coming societal challenge will be coming to grips with how to keep a tiny ruling class from using advancing technology as a multiplier to their ability to control and/or influence the general population.

I can imagine some dark times ahead before that is somewhat resolved.

I think it's too late to change anything honestly. It's basically over, we're just in the last struggle as the hand closes in to crush our throats

...What?

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's too late to change anything honestly. It's basically over, we're just in the last struggle as the hand closes in to crush our throats

...What?

Just my slightly offtopic thoughts on a state/Government trying to mindread and what I feel happens socially with social media ~ Citizens attempting to mindread other citizens on an "industrial scale". The difference between trying to use hardware to erode citizens privacy and read their minds, versus social engineering.

China's going down one path of 1984, but I feel some countries in the West are going down another with being chained to social media. Tweets and Facebook hot takes are almost more important than actual communication. Whereas China has basically outlawed emotion and not only that, wants to then read the minds of the citizens scared to speak their mind.

NightMarcher

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hawaii
If any employer walked up to me and told me to wear such a hat for such a reason, I'd laugh in their face while walking out the door giving them the finger.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I should be surprised, but it's been obvious for a while what a completely totalitarian state china is. Why not violate their citizens most private mindspace if the option is there?

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Just my slightly offtopic thoughts on a state/Government trying to mindread and what I feel happens socially with social media ~ Citizens attempting to mindread other citizens on an "industrial scale". The difference between trying to use hardware to erode citizens privacy and read their minds, versus social engineering.

China's going down one path of 1984, but I feel some countries in the West are going down another with being chained to social media. Tweets and Facebook hot takes are almost more important than actual communication. Whereas China has basically outlawed emotion and not only that, wants to then read the minds of the citizens scared to speak their mind.

Social media is optional.

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So when do they start firing people who hate their shitty jobs? This tech doesnt need to exist.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they use this data to best determine how to best treat their workers. /s

Feranon

Nov 1, 2017
As soon as for-real mind reading tech becomes available, I'm outta here. Once I can't get any privacy in my own goddamn head I'm flinging myself off a bridge

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
As soon as for-real mind reading tech becomes available, I'm outta here. Once I can't get any privacy in my own goddamn head I'm flinging myself off a bridge

In theory since you'll be monitored they'll know your thoughts and put you in an institution before you can.

Just saying.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between this and the social credit system they are using, if China are the new top dog the world is fucked.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I am 31 and I am already terrifyied of the future.

Things are going to get bleak

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally just watched Psycho-Pass last night, this shit sounds like it was copy pasted straight from it lol. Dystopian as fuck

I am 31 and I am already terrifyied of the future.

Things are going to get bleak

I honestly catch myself fairly often thinking that at least I probably won't be around when shit really hits the fan