• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Tench is the man. Great acting.

Loved this but they ended the first season at a lame place.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
On episode 4. I'm hooked.

Subject is darkly fascinating and the main characters (Bill and Holden) are instantly likable.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Good series, binged it in 2 days. Liked most of it. One of the best Netflix shows I've seen. Felt weird how they sort of dropped Tench's wife/kid side story, as after just staying at the office for one trip (guessing due to what happened at home) I figured there'd be some focus on that, but not mentioned in the remaining episodes.

And holy shit Carrie Coon and Anna Torv could be freaking twins going by Anna's looks in this show. I mean, I did a double take in the first scene she was in, but quickly realized it was Anna Torv, but the resemblance is uncanny.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this series with brother awhile back. We pretty much loved the it, and found ourselves completely enthralled. The show was simply fascinating.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it.

Really hope they bring back Ed Kemper again next season. The actor's performance was amazingly unsettling and eerie.

Thought Torv was pretty bland in Fringe and the lowpoint of the cast but I actually thought she did rather well here, this character feels like a better fit for her.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to this and tore through it. Absolutely loved it. The actors they got for the serial killers absolutely killed it (lol), so unsettling.

Apparently season 2 will focus on
the Atlanta child killings
. Definitely an interesting place to take the show for the cultural shift it will offer.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
marathoned it last night after coming home after passing out on a couch and waking up in the middle of the night and ubering home.

You'll really have to be in the mood for this but the creepy performances by the actors playing the serial killers really make this more so than the 3 leads (but everyone is great). The kemper + guy who plays the shoe fetish killer were both amazing. Shoe killer had such a creepy weird quality about him.

I thought they'd go somewhere with the guy they show glimpses of every episode but they didnt - maybe they'll open with his first kill in season2.

Anna Torv is great. I haven't seen her in much since Fringe but I like her dryness here.

This post is hidden bullshit needs to stop

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Great show. I was riveted throughout but I do have a fascination with serial killers so it would have had to been really bad for me to not like it. Funny thing, after the show was done about a week later I tried to recall the show back but I could not put a face on the actor who played Holden lol. Idk if maybe the guy has the most average looking face but I could recall most of the show except his face. I know ppl did not like the performance the actor playing him put but I thought he was fine. I was expecting him to do something weird though like when Dutch choked the cat in the Shield but it never happened. Guy gives off some weird vibes.

marathoned it last night after coming home after passing out on a couch and waking up in the middle of the night and ubering home.

You'll really have to be in the mood for this but the creepy performances by the actors playing the serial killers really make this more so than the 3 leads (but everyone is great). The kemper + guy who plays the shoe fetish killer were both amazing. Shoe killer had such a creepy weird quality about him.

I thought they'd go somewhere with the guy they show glimpses of every episode but they didnt - maybe they'll open with his first kill in season2.

Anna Torv is great. I haven't seen her in much since Fringe but I like her dryness here.

This post is hidden bullshit needs to stop
Thats the BTK killer. There is no way the show is gonna last that long to see him get caught, dude managed to do his shit for a long time with a break in between even before he was eventually was caught. Either the show might fast forward or just have him be the one that got away. I was surprised when they started going with that angle but they must have a plan I guess.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Great show. I was riveted throughout but I do have a fascination with serial killers so it would have had to been really bad for me to not like it. Funny thing, after the show was done about a week later I tried to recall the show back but I could not put a face on the actor who played Holden lol. Idk if maybe the guy has the most average looking face but I could recall most of the show except his face. I know ppl did not like the performance the actor playing him put but I thought he was fine. I was expecting him to do something weird though like when Dutch choked the cat in the Shield but it never happened. Guy gives off some weird vibes.

Thats the BTK killer. There is no way the show is gonna last that long to see him get caught, dude managed to do his shit for a long time with a break in between even before he was eventually was caught. Either the show might fast forward or just have him be the one that got away. I was surprised when they started going with that angle but they must have a plan I guess.
The show does fast forward at some point. Fincher says there is plans for I believe five seasons and BTK will be the over arching plot.

Oct 27, 2017
Loved this show and I think Tench was the standout for me. Really great performance from the actor. Felt like there was another 2 episodes in the season though, didn't realise it was the last one. Anything similar to this? Thinking of watching True Detective S1 again.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I loved it, Tench and Kemper's performances were absolutely amazing, I also loved the interviews. I like the slow buildup to BTK.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
Halfway through and I didn't realize how much I missed Anna Torv in my life after Fringe ended. Really enjoying it so far. It had been on my backlog for a while but I have some vacation days to burn through before the new year and started watching it yesterday. Good stuff and glad it's already been picked up for Season 2.

The show does fast forward at some point. Fincher says there is plans for I believe five seasons and BTK will be the over arching plot.

I just found this article:

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/10/178474/mindhunter-bill-tench-child-future-serial-killer

"[The BTK Killer] wasn't caught until 2005. He was literally at large for 30 years! We try to remain true to the details of the crimes...Let's hope to God that we get to do this for five seasons. [But] we may never catch the guy. Our journey begins in 1978, are we really going to go up to 2005? I don't think so. We'll span a number of years, but not all of those years. These guys don't solve all of their cases. You don't get to solve them all in real life, and you don't get to solve them all in MINDHUNTER."

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I just found this article:

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/10/178474/mindhunter-bill-tench-child-future-serial-killer

"[The BTK Killer] wasn't caught until 2005. He was literally at large for 30 years! We try to remain true to the details of the crimes...Let's hope to God that we get to do this for five seasons. [But] we may never catch the guy. Our journey begins in 1978, are we really going to go up to 2005? I don't think so. We'll span a number of years, but not all of those years. These guys don't solve all of their cases. You don't get to solve them all in real life, and you don't get to solve them all in MINDHUNTER."
Yea I think that's the one I read. I wonder if they'll touch on BTK's capture, even in a montage moment at the end of the series. It's kinda the culmination of a lot of hard learned lessons for the police and FBI.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
This show is incredible. I wish it was even longer but all good things must come to an end eventually. I love how nuanced the characters are and how much time is spent on simply letting us observe the characters in their natural habitat without any particular plot attached. It makes everything feel so much more immersive. Can't wait for season 2!

Oh yeah she definitely reminds me of her. Apparently she's in Fringe and I have that entire series here on blu ray, but never watched.

Fringe is one of my favorite shows of all time. It has some really awesome twists if you don't know what the show is about and it's layered with foreshadowing and references that reward you for multiple viewings. I liked Torv's performance in Mindhunter the best though.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it, but they spent WAY too much on their personal lives for me.
I didn't have that much of a problem with that because it was showing the effect their work was having on them.

My only problem with the show is I thought it ended really weird. No spoilers, but there just wasn't any closure for any of the storylines. Excited to see where season 2 takes us.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have that much of a problem with that because it was showing the effect their work was having on them.

My only problem with the show is I thought it ended really weird. No spoilers, but there just wasn't any closure for any of the storylines. Excited to see where season 2 takes us.

I felt the same way at the end. There's no arc or real story here. It just ends. The whole season just felt directionless. The characters and acting are what keeps the show interesting, but I don't know if I'm aboard with season 2.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I felt the same way at the end. There's no arc or real story here. It just ends. The whole season just felt directionless.
I disagree. I thought the ending was well done and goes nicely with the whole season. I made a thread about it here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/psa-mindhunter-on-netflix-is-mindfucking-watch-it-now.7170/

Reposting my thoughts
Since finishing Mindhunter on Netflix - which at the time I thought an alright show at the time, I look at humans differently and the show is one of the craziest mindfuck subversion I've felt. Holy cripes let me unpack.

I approached the show much like Holden Ford at the time. Without giving away too much, Holden is an idealistic young FBI profiler who approaches situations and persons very clinically and without any bias or subjective emotional context. Much like him, I approached the show. The premise of the show is basically how Behavioral Science Unit is established at the FBI through countless profiling of serial killers. Holden's partner is Bill Tench, who is the opposite. He is a veteran FBI agent. He feels disgust at the serial killers and cant stand to be in the same room as these psychopaths. I am watching the show unfold and listening to all the grisly murders just like Holden is. I am....fascinated by these monsters just like him. They're enigmatic and hiding their true selves beneath the thin veneer. I too want to hear more and more, and I simply couldn't wait until Holden interviewed another crazy. I slowly realize that we're talking about humans being murdered - lives, hopes, dreams, communities shattered. For no good reason. But I still wanted more. Until the finale.

Spoiler territory
When Kemper gets up and tells Holden that he can kill him in a second, I felt a rush of blood. And then he hugs him, and it felt that ~I~ was giving Kemper a hug because I also felt fascinated by him and thought he was pretty chill in the interviews. I suddenly realized that these people are not just pieces of enigma - but terrible threats to humanity. I wanted to run away as well!
After the show ended, I started down the wikipedia and google rabbit hole of serial killers like Kemper and their exploits and holy crap this is absolutely unspeakable evil. Pure, unfiltered evil. All of these serial killers are. I felt like I was an absolute idiot approaching the killers with such sterile view and no moral compass. The show grabbed me by the shoulders and shook me out of my apathy by the end and I thought it was an absolute brilliant piece of filmmaking by Fincher. I am not sure if anyone felt the same way that I did, but please watch the show. It will make you ponder. And dont go down the wikipedia holes of these psychopaths. Its a truly dark place. And today I feel like its one of the best shows ever made.

mindhunter-review.jpg

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. I thought the ending was well done and goes nicely with the whole season. I made a thread about it here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/psa-mindhunter-on-netflix-is-mindfucking-watch-it-now.7170/

Reposting my thoughts

I agree with you with what makes the show interesting, but there is no closure to any of the storylines.
Also, I thought the show did a bad job explaining the Kansas parts. It makes much more sense reading about it now, but they didn't explain it at all in the show.
But to me, none of these storylines went anywhere
What happens to Holden and Debbie? Do they stay apart?
What happens with Bill's son? Does he and his son get treatment?
What happens with the investigation into Holden? Does he get fired or does anything happen?
Do they get to continue with the program after the latest misstep?

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Considering the choice of direction for this show, I didn't find it particularly necessary for there to be any closure. It's the end of a season, not the end of a show. It makes everything seem so much more believable when things happen this naturally instead of neatly wrapping everything up and tying it with a bow every season.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some new details on Season 2 emerged:
Heading to Southern Georgia, "Mindhunter" season two will focus on the infamous Atlanta child murders of the late 1970s and early 80s, which featured the relatively uncommon case of an African-American serial killer —in real life, Wayne Williams, who was tried, convicted, and sentenced to life imprisonment for killing two adult men, but never convicted of the deaths of twenty three murders of young children (though it's unclear how close to the real events the show will hew). Stars Jonathan Groff, Holt McCallany, and Anna Torv will all return.

Meanwhile, Fincher has found his directors for the follow-up season and sources tell us there are only three filmmakers scheduled this time; Fincher himself directing the premiere and finale episodes like he did in season one, Andrew Dominik ("The Assassination of Jesse James," "Killing Me Softly") will helm another two, and filmmaker Carl Franklin ("Devil In A Blue Dress," "One False Move"), who's become something of a journeyman director on TV in recent years ("House Of Cards," " The Leftovers," "13 Reasons Why," "Vinyl" and more), will direct the rest and bulk of the show.

Last I heard, there were only eight episodes this season; the inaugural one, which featured four filmmakers — Asif Kapadia, Tobias Lindholm, Andrew Douglas and Fincher — had ten.

Fincher is currently in Pittsburgh doing prep on season two which starts at the end of the month. It should keep him busy for most of the year and regardless, I'm told Netflix intends to hold it for an early 2019 release.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Season 1 was basically 8.

One episode was 34 min

Another was 42.

Another 45.

Really inconsistent with their times.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Oh wow, that's a great case to base the second season around. If anyone's interested, there's a pretty in depth podcast about it called Atlanta Monster. It puts forward a pretty compelling case that Wayne Williams is unlikely to be the murderer, although that's obviously not conclusive in any way.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Inconsistent with their times so they can be consistent with their pacing. I hate when shows cram things to make some allotted time slot

It's just jarring to watch an hour and then boom an episode done so quickly right after.

Stranger Things Season 2 was bloated by an extra episode so Netflix will figure it out sometime.

Oh wow, that's a great case to base the second season around. If anyone's interested, there's a pretty in depth podcast about it called Atlanta Monster. It puts forward a pretty compelling case that Wayne Williams is unlikely to be the murderer, although that's obviously not conclusive in any way.

Unfortunately you won't see any of this "innocence" part.

Former FBI profiler John E. Douglas wrote in his book Mindhunter that, in his opinion, "forensic and behavioral evidence points conclusively to Wayne Williams as the killer of eleven young men in Atlanta." He added, however, that he believed there was "no strong evidence linking him to all or even most of the deaths and disappearances of children in that city between 1979 and 1981."[28]

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Not sure why you say this and then include a quote that says there is no strong evidence he was involved in the child murders that supposedly the season will be about.
He's saying that because the show is based loosely on that profiler, his belief that the guy was guilty will likely influence the narrative of the show to suggest the same, even if there is a lack of specific evidence.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
If it's a sold run then I'm perfectly happy with 8 episodes. I'm getting a bit fatigued with shows like The Punisher and Jessica Jones having 13 episodes when there's clearly not enough material to warrant that many.

Oct 27, 2017
He's saying that because the show is based loosely on that profiler, his belief that the guy was guilty will likely influence the narrative of the show to suggest the same, even if there is a lack of specific evidence.

But the quote doesn't say that IMO. It says he was guilty of other crimes, but there was little to link him to this case.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Really looking forward to this, loved the first season and I can't wait for more. Don't mind 8 episodes either, it's the quality that counts.

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am on e.4. The crimes are good. The girlfriend actress is weak. I am not sold on the main actor either. Is he supposed to play a boy scout? I can't tell any personal background from him. The partner actor is much better.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
But the quote doesn't say that IMO. It says he was guilty of other crimes, but there was little to link him to this case.
Oh, I think I misunderstood the quote. He was actually found guilty of the murder of two adults, but while it was believed he could have been responsible for the infamous child murders, there was no evidence actually suggesting that. You're right.