• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
Was trying to find a thread about this awesome show but came back empty.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5290382/

mindhunter-poster.jpg

Binged til episode 6 with my Gf and we both really loved it so far. The pacing is very slow at first but a good kind of slow in my opinion.

Incredible how the acting and actors choice was so tight in this show.

This guy, man THIS GUY!

kxxvsxs1jhpcg8xfyy7e.jpg

We will probably finish it today or tomorrow (since wolf2 + stranger things S02 are coming!) but so far, one of the best shows on Netflix without a doubt!

Will probably be one of those shows where I will be screaming for a S02 as soon as the season finale ends.

Last edited by a moderator:

darkness

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good show, I don't even think it's slow. The interviews are definitely the best parts, though.

I was going to talk about some spoilers, but can't see how to tag them.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
It's the first good drama Netflix has had in a couple of years. I am disappointed with how underwritten the female roles are though, Torv is wasted.
I was going to talk about some spoilers, but can't see how to tag them.
hit the "+" sign in the editor
and you should be good to go, or write [ spoiler ] and [/ spoiler ] without the spaces
Not sure if it's the same on mobile

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Really great first season. We binged it in three nights, so the pacing never felt off to me. Holden's character was so fucking difficult to watch, but by the end of it we had pretty much settled on
him having peered too far into the void. He's got sociopathic tendencies all season, and then the last few episodes (interaction with the girlfriend, FBI interrogation, fuckin flying out to visit Ed Kemper!?) he goes deep end. It was so satisfying seeing him break down and actually realize he'd lost it.

Eagerly awaiting season 2.

EDIT: Also, really gotta commend the show for not relying heavily on the Drop Dead Gorgeous trope; it's always disheartening to watch show after show (thrillers and killers especially) that lean on it.

darkness

Oct 25, 2017
The spoiler button was hidden on mobile under another button, heh.

Anyway, I wanted to say that season 2
is likely going to focus on the ADT guy, who is the famous BTK killer, so it should be interesting.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Me and the wife finished the whole season the other day and absolutely loved it.

Very interesting and compelling too. Seeing their technique and understanding evolve was really cool.

Also the ending was pretty damn great too, can't wait for season 2.

Last edited:

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
A lot of love from me. I still have to watch Episode 10, but I've really liked what I've seen.

Bill Tench is a fucking godsend of a character.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Just finished it the other day. Great overall, some dips in the middle IMO but the ending was stellar. Will definitely stick around for season 2.

Hank Hill

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 25, 2017
Great OT.I was planning on making it myself.In my opinion, this is the best show Netflix has ever made and 2019 can't come soon enough.

Really great first season. We binged it in three nights, so the pacing never felt off to me. Holden's character was so fucking difficult to watch, but by the end of it we had pretty much settled on
him having peered too far into the void. He's got sociopathic tendencies all season, and then the last few episodes (interaction with the girlfriend, FBI interrogation, fuckin flying out to visit Ed Kemper!?) he goes deep end. It was so satisfying seeing him break down and actually realize he'd lost it.

This was my take as well.From the begining I thought that he'd turn out to be
a sociopath.

Last edited:

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still watching it, but so far it's the first Netflix show I really like. Acting and writing is a little off at times, especially in the pilot, but it's pretty compelling otherwise. Feels like Masters of Sex, just with serial killers. Or something.

kaospilot

Oct 25, 2017
A few of my friends are super hyped about this show. I really need to watch it but haven't had time yet, definitely will this weekend though.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I though its great how you can really see hes kind of stupid or naive at times but learns from Bill from time to time.

Oh yeah. Being from the Midwest myself, I could feel my skin crawl when Holden would talk during road school. Like I just felt that he was overstepping, or out of his depth. He had no chill sometimes.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Really loved this show. Some of the acting was iffy with regard to Holden and especially Debbie who felt super stiff and just unnatural. But the premise and everything was enthralling and it had a good overarching narrative for the most part. Bill and Wendy were fantastic and deserved more screen time than they got. Kemper was just outstanding and so unsettling, as were Brudos and Speck.

One thing I was confused by was the random scenes of Dennis Rader. I immediately was thrown off by of how that would even pay off and or even relate to the FBI, but then nothing even happened at all.

Title of the show is also really bad. It's just goofy sounding and try hard. Not sure of a better alternative, but Mindhunter is not it.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I was confused by was the random scenes of Dennis Rader. I immediately was thrown off by of how that would even pay off and or even relate to the FBI, but then nothing even happened at all.

It's the long game. I doubt it even pays of in S2, maybe not even S3 given how slow time is moving. But it complemented their early research nicely.

bgbball31

Oct 25, 2017

is likely going to focus on the ADT guy, who is the famous BTK killer, so it should be interesting.

The thing is, I'm not sure it will. That was such a long case, I could see them going with the cold open for another season and REALLY introducing it sometime later. But who knows.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The lady and I have only watched the first three episodes so far (we don't do the binge thing!) but I think it's one of the best things I've seen on TV recently other than Season 3 of Twin Peaks. It's Hannibal levels of good (and obviously very similar subject matter) and feels like a fantastic replacement for that show. I'm glad Fincher is more involved and that montage of road school in episode 2 blew me away for a TV show. We're going to watch episode 4 tonight. Plus it looks fantastic in HDR on our new TV which doesn't hurt!

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, I'm not sure it will. That was such a long case, I could see them going with the cold open for another season and REALLY introducing it sometime later. But who knows.

Only thing is
That was a real case. So I don't see them fully looking into especially since he won't be caught till 2005 I think.

Oct 25, 2017

Actually they've already said that
season 2 will focus on the Atlanta child murders. BTK is a thread that will probably continue throughout the entire show as he won't be caught for several years.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me the star of the show was the guy who played Kemper. Every scene he was was fantastic. And the end had me legit holding my breath.

I still feel like this lacks something. I dont know what though, maybe an overarching killer.

access tv

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed this show—just finished. I feel it's got a great mix of other detective/cop show elements that really hooked me, and the Holden/Tensch relationship is fun to watch.

And yes, Kemper is fantastic.

Noob

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people said its a great show, but I guess it's just not my type of show... I got real bored. :/

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I loved the show. I finished the show, pulled out my Kindle and bought the book.

Last edited:

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bill carries this show.

Holden is a creep. I don't know if I could watch it with just him in the lead.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I still feel like this lacks something. I dont know what though, maybe an overarching killer.

IMO this could help, but it could also hurt the show. They've really established S1 as a show about peering into the void; it's more about how this methodology came about and really studying it as opposed to solving actual cases (which, as we've seen, is hard for Holden to deal with). If they introduce an overarching killer the show might lose some of what makes it so unique among a crowded field of crime drama.

They've earned enough good will IMO with S1 that I'm willing to take the gamble if they go that route.

MaskedNdi

Oct 25, 2017
I bounced off this at about the 35-minute point; I really hated the dialogue at the bar. Would it be worth picking it back up and trying it again, or that pretty indicative of the show as a whole?

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
if anything, I thought the relationship aspect between Holden and Debbie was the weakest part of the show. I'd say it gets better once they start delving into talking to the murderers.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I bounced off this at about the 35-minute point; I really hated the dialogue at the bar. Would it be worth picking it back up and trying it again, or that pretty indicative of the show as a whole?

I would power through until you've at least met Bill, possibly Wendy. Holden is purposefully insufferable at times, and these two characters are amazing and keep him in check. By the end of ep 2 you'd probably have a better sense if it was for you or not.

MaskedNdi

Oct 25, 2017
I would power through until you've at least met Bill, possibly Wendy. Holden is purposefully insufferable at times, and these two characters are amazing and keep him in check. By the end of ep 2 you'd probably have a better sense if it was for you or not.

Thanks! I'll give it another go this weekend. I had initially written it off, but I've seen a lot of positive feedback for the show lately. Hopefully I'll warm up to it once those characters are introduced.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
I love seeing Anna Torv again, we need more of her!
I didn't like how Holden's ego started getting overinflated by the end, hopefully he'll come back down to Earth in Season 2 after the scare in the last episode.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Finished this yesterday. I liked it but it's ultimately a bit unsatisfying. Hope a possible season 2 gives the payoff I think the story needs.

Snowden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving the show, up to episode 6, but Holden comes off so fake in the way he talks. I'm not sure if it's just the actor or if there's going to some twist where he's a serial killer but he's really giving me weird vibes.

OP
OP
Pacote

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
I'm loving the show, up to episode 6, but Holden comes off so fake in the way he talks. I'm not sure if it's just the actor or if there's going to some twist where he's a serial killer but he's really giving me weird vibes.
Being a David Fincher show, I really think theres something really fishy going on with Holden...

Blugrass

Oct 25, 2017
On episode 3 and I'm diggin it so far. Fincher just has that touch of extreme quality on everything he puts out.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man when he
she's going to break up with him on the porch before she even realizes it.
rough stuff.

Feran

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed this, bit of a slow burn and I feel like I need to give it a second watch. The guy who played Kemper was fantastic.

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
This is good, watched it over 3 Days. The show fell apart when they tried getting into the personal lives of the characters.

Still, I enjoyed it. Can't wait for next season.