• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
They were such underdogs that I was rooting for them to succeed even though when actually put in to practice it comes off like "we know you did it" entrapment.

Like the case with three conspirators, I felt frustrated that they didnt get the result they wanted and angry at the callous prosecutor but really, the "evidence" they provided him was some professors psychological musing.

That moment where their boss calls the three of them in to chastise them only for the conversation to slowly morph into triumph was a rollercoaster.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first episode was outstandingly bad, dialogues and performances didn't resonate with me at all. Especially Holden with this kind of performance would have seem alien in any decent tv show from the last couple of years and even within this show and his surrounding performances there was still something off with it.

Actually I had a somewhat comparable feeling during the first episode of The Americans and I did get used to it with time - just like in this case. It definitely gets better, mainly because I - as a viewer - get used to Holden's specific role as someone who always raises questions, which I think sets the ground for his "alien" feeling. He seems thoughtful but in a irritating kind of way, which is why his breakthrough in his first case became also a breakthrough for his character (not without clichés though...his speech was, just as before, pretentious as fuck within this particular scene :D ).

I just finished Episode 5 - the best episode so far. Now I'm really hooked as it gets into some kind of a routine.

bubaglobalj

Oct 25, 2017
I very much enjoyed this show. Saw the thread earlier but stayed away to avoid spoilers. My favourite character has gotta be Bill. I think all serial killers are depicted really well to. Can't wait to see what season 2 brings. This and Ozark are my Netflix highlights of the year so far!

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else mistook Anna Torv (plays Wendy) for Carrie Coon for a second?
Even after that initial thought I have to say she resembles her quite a bit.

Finished Episode 6
I really hope they don't make out. She is lesbian. End of story.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent finale for a good tv show.
As I stated above Holden's performance wasn't really resonating with me in the first episode but as his character evolved or respectively changed into a specific direction it became more and more apparent how well he is really acting. His character development is without a doubt the main attraction here, which is displayed in its purest form within the interviews. Good shit...

What I didn't like were Wendy and Debbie's underdeveloped and almost sloppy representation. That whole love thing with Debbie was just there for the sake of showing Holden's development...within one particular scene? At least it seems this way, because I have no idea what else she was there for in spite of that much screentime she had. Almost the same applies to Wendy, but as a colleague and not as a love interest.
She could have used a lot more...significance I guess?
And these are not some protagonists, who nobody gives a shit for - they had a lot of screentime.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The first episode felt really off for me, but starting with episode 2 things clicked and I was hooked. Loved it. How have I never seen Holt McCallany before? This guy is great.

Can't wait for the next season.
He was this guy in Fight Club (directed by Fincher of course)

FightClub_279Pyxurz.jpg

FightClub_206Pyxurz.jpg

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Theme is boring...

Hell, the first time I didn't even recognize I'm watching the opening when it started.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
What I didn't like were Wendy and Debbie's underdeveloped and almost sloppy representation. That whole love thing with Debbie was just there for the sake of showing Holden's development...within one particular scene? At least it seems this way, because I have no idea what else she was there for in spite of that much screentime she had. Almost the same applies to Wendy, but as a colleague and not as a love interest.
She could have used a lot more...significance I guess?
And these are not some protagonists, who nobody gives a shit for - they had a lot of screentime.
Whenever Debbie tries to assert herself in the relationship, talk about things that are important to her or are happening in her life, Holden checks out. He's the ultimate 'bring your work home with you' guy: his life revolves around his work, to the detriment of everyone and everything else, including himself. She's significant in representing the more normal, healthy half of a relationship that Holden gradually slips away from over the course of the season. By the end, he coldly dissects her breaking up with him and leaves very matter of factly, only to run into the arms of a serial killer who he (initially) has a much warmer and open conversation with.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever Debbie tries to assert herself in the relationship, talk about things that are important to her or are happening in her life, Holden checks out. He's the ultimate 'bring your work home with you' guy: his life revolves around his work, to the detriment of everyone and everything else, including himself. She's significant in representing the more normal, healthy half of a relationship that Holden gradually slips away from over the course of the season. By the end, he coldly dissects her breaking up with him and leaves very matter of factly, only to run into the arms of a serial killer who he (initially) has a much warmer and open conversation with.
Well obviously but what I was trying to say is that it feels unnecessary to dedicate so much screentime just to show this trait of his. It doesn't justify it in the bigger picture of the show as it was dragged out quite some time, each episode giving another (far too obvious) hint about where this is going to end.
It was just *there* until we had finally the confirmation everyone knew about beforehand.
What Debbie desperately needed was more personality, but her dialogues didn't make it possible. Yes, she is smart, can lead discussions with an appropriate manner, has her own mind regarding certain things (patriarchy and such) but what she doesn't do is...bringing her point through adequately.

Hence she could have a lot less screentime and it would have achieved the exact same outcome for me as a viewer. She was pretty clearly underdeveloped.

Oct 25, 2017
Theme is boring...

Hell, the first time I didn't even recognize I'm watching the opening when it started.

Yeah I just skipped the theme last episode. It does nothing for me. It's such a disappointment after Stranger Things S2's title sequence.

Anyways, I'm on episode 6 now and the show has improved significantly. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Done watching the finale. I really liked the atmosphere and the noir references. I wanted to like the character development of Holden, but it just felt somewhat boring until the last episode.

Am I the only one who thought Anna Torv was severely underused? The "tuna arc" just didn't cut it for me.

bubaglobalj

Oct 25, 2017
What's the significance of the Tuna can (and presumably a cat?) scene? I took it to mean that she has no social life and is really lonely outside of work. And then even that relationship ended when the tuna wasn't eaten.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend and I started watching this Friday night, and ended up watching all of it this weekend. I honestly didn't care much for it at first, but the show really gets much better as it goes along, and by the end of it I didn't want it to stop. Really good show, with a pretty good finale too. Looking very forward to S2, but man 2019? Wish it was much sooner, lol.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Why am I so enraptured with the killer interviews?
Im surprised by how fast I became obsessed with this show.

Sirenja

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed S1 - sad to hear that S2 will take some time!

This was one of my favourite scenes

tumblr_oy357kSGUx1scghoqo10_r1_500.gif

The whole montage was just so well done!

Followed by this
tumblr_oy2hz1Xdvx1scghoqo3_540.gif

That was reaaaally creepy! A real wake up call for Holden!

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Has Holt McCallany ever done video game work? I don't see it on IMDB, but maybe under a different name or something?

He's got an awesome voice and it sounds so familiar.

Just finished episode 9. Really loving the show. Bill, Holden and Wendy are great characters and make for a pretty interesting trio.

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
Has Holt McCallany ever done video game work? I don't see it on IMDB, but maybe under a different name or something?
Hahah! That's something I thought of also watching the show. I was certain he was so I kinda forgot about it, but now that you mention I remember thinking this.

But yeah. This show turned out to be great. The beginning took its time. The characters didn't do anything for the first episode or two. I was on the verge of calling it quits after the first episode. But my GF said let's watch another one so we did. It get better, but when Kemper gets on-screen from that point I was fucking hooked. I liked every character eventually but I think they kinda lost their fire during the last parts of the season. Bill seems like he's burned out and Wendy seems like she's bummed out. Holden is fucking lost. In too deep.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. I thought it was good, but it spent a bit too much time on their personal lives. BTK stuff felt like filler, but I guess that'll come up in a later season. I never really connected with Holden either(probably intentional). He did play his role well for the most part though.

Tench and Kemper were standouts.

Didn't really like the first two episodes. The last third or so of episode 2 was well done though.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Holy hell was Holden insufferable. I feel like the majority of his lines treated the viewer as a dummy that needed full explanation of all his thoughts in order to understand his 'quips'.

Everyone else was ace.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Anyone got any recommendations for shows with a similar tone to this? I love how deliberate and quietly sinister it is, and the way it's lit and shot. Seen everything Fincher's done so craving something in the same vein.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this. Amazing series but can't believe I have to wait until 2019 for more... It was just starting to get really interesting.

Holden really started turning into an egotistical monster. I enjoyed his character quite a bit until those last few episodes but it looks like Kemper put him back in his place...

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
Im at episode 6, bloody hell the first coupla episodes put me to sleep incessantly, but I stuck with it and it paid off (in short, once Kemper shows up). Now I'm completely hooked, Tench is aces, Holden is a bit poster boyish but still good and Anna Torv is....jesus, can't take me eyes off her, she reminds me of another Australian golden, Cate Blanchett

Great show, though. Excellent acting and atmosphere, pacing needs a bit ti get adjusted to, but once you figure out what kind of show it is to you can't stop watching

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
He was this guy in Fight Club (directed by Fincher of course)

FightClub_279Pyxurz.jpg

FightClub_206Pyxurz.jpg
This is where I know him from! His voice was so familiar. His name was Robert Paulson!

Also Holden's character is done so well. I didn't even realize what was going on until Mr. Juxtaposition Christian came on to the scene and made me realize the change.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
The btk killer is going to mess with Holden something fierce. Have a feeling it's going to be ice vs ice when they get to him and interview.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is where I know him from! His voice was so familiar. His name was Robert Paulson!

Also Holden's character is done so well. I didn't even realize what was going on until Mr. Juxtaposition Christian came on to the scene and made me realize the change.
Holden is "What if you're right and they're wrong" for every decision and cannot let go of that attitude until it bites him in the ass at the end.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Writing in that pilot between Holden and the girl almost made me stop. Not a fan of a lot of the writing or performances actually. But Kemper, holy shit is he absolutely magnetic. Saved the show for me.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Im at episode 6, bloody hell the first coupla episodes put me to sleep incessantly, but I stuck with it and it paid off (in short, once Kemper shows up). Now I'm completely hooked, Tench is aces, Holden is a bit poster boyish but still good and Anna Torv is....jesus, can't take me eyes off her, she reminds me of another Australian golden, Cate Blanchett

Great show, though. Excellent acting and atmosphere, pacing needs a bit ti get adjusted to, but once you figure out what kind of show it is to you can't stop watching
How long would you say it took you to be hooked? I'm really thinking about calling it quits after episode 2, as there is so much to see that it's hard to stick with a series that doesn't grab you immediatly.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Get Down would like a word with you. :(

Still pissed that they cancelled that.
Well it was expensive as fuck and not very successful in the sense of User viewings...expecting something else would have been irrational.

Edit: To be honest I'd have preferred a darker tone for Holden but I guess this was necessary for Fincher to show his transformation in a more effective way and Jonathan Groff played the role as the innocent turning egomaniac role pretty pretty good.
I can't wish for more than that.