• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Temathael

Jun 9, 2018
Finland, Poland
Last edited:

Temathael

Jun 9, 2018
Finland, Poland
We added a regular pledge tier for the Switch version now, User Tron
Here's a new update about it: LINK

If you'd like to have a Switch version with some of the other rewards, you can add it as an add-on, as described in the update I posted earlier.

Need better hit detection on the enemies, but looks good so far.
Hey, thanks! Will still work on that as well. Probably won't possible be yet in the upcoming alpha-demo update, but something we will try to improve for the eventual full release.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Lastly, I don't quite agree with the wall jump being terrible, but it's not perfect for sure and I've been making some edits from time to time - sadly not finding the perfect balance for anyone else than myself. The problem is giving the player enough control of it and not allowing the player to keep jumping up a single wall at the same time. Now, the way it's designed is that you press away from the wall you want to jump from. Not perfect for sure. If you have some ideas on how to improve it while staying within the above-mentioned parameters, I'd love to hear.
Have no idea how easy is to implement something like this, but can't you cut momentum from a wall jump if the player press backwards, thus making it harder to reach the same wall over and over again?
I don't remember exactly how Valdis Story did it (and I was playing it last week....) but you mostly can't do what you are describing, you just fall of short of a second or third wall jump on the same wall, but it also uses instant jumps instead of allowing you to stick on one.

Temathael

Jun 9, 2018
Finland, Poland
Yea, something like that could totally work. I was messing around with the wall jump a bit, but didn't have time to change it yet for the patch that will come online in a minute.

You can get the Alpha Demo on Steam!

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, something like that could totally work. I was messing around with the wall jump a bit, but didn't have time to change it yet for the patch that will come online in a minute.

You can get the Alpha Demo on Steam!

Yeah, I wouldn't say the current wall jump is awful but it does feel a bit weak momentum-wise. The bees are pretty frustrating though with the way they track direction changes mixed with their high population.

Also, I didn't notice any major glitches in the recent build aside from this ultrawide specific one:

The recording doesn't really capture it, but if you moved too far right while fighting the hive the screen would rapidly display two different viewpoints.

Temathael

Jun 9, 2018
Finland, Poland
Yeah, to be honest we haven't really done much work with the resolution support yet, so I'm happy it works somehow already. Too bad for the small glitches here - reveals that the T-Horn is sometimes just half of the sprite:P

We added a longer tell and wait period before the bees make their lunge attack, so now they are bit better. I agree that the are possibly still too good at tracking the player movement and changing direction.

Oh, and we have the last 6 days of the Kickstarter left, and around 6K to go! Here's the link again: To Kickstarter

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
i like what i saw, think it's a cool game and i hope it does super well.

But honestly, i feel the Visuals need a bit of a touch up. They are not bad... but they are not striking either. They have this Blazing Chrome/Odallus/Oniken vibe to them... but... i dunno the feeling i get is that "It's missing some grit" . Dunno if it makes sense, but it just doesn't stand out...

NSwitchDS_OnikenUnstoppableEdition_06.jpg

blazing-chrome-1563470824173_v2_1170x540.png

steamworkshop-webupload-previewfile-155556863-prev_k6s3.jpg

It's not bad at all!! I just feel that the artstyle could benefit of an extra coat on it's road ahead to stand out a bit more.

Temathael

Jun 9, 2018
Finland, Poland
Honestly, though. It's going for something bit different. I guess different people like different things, etc. But for me personally these examples are missing something and are too "8 bit" and "seen this thousand times". (Blazing Chrome is a great game and looks great, don't get me wrong. Just very different stylistically. And especially gameplay-wise)

But yea, I guess the environmental art is not really the standout thing about MindSeize when it comes to art. That would be the creature and enemy sprites and animations.

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
i like what i saw, think it's a cool game and i hope it does super well.

But honestly, i feel the Visuals need a bit of a touch up. They are not bad... but they are not striking either. They have this Blazing Chrome/Odallus/Oniken vibe to them... but... i dunno the feeling i get is that "It's missing some grit" . Dunno if it makes sense, but it just doesn't stand out...

It's not bad at all!! I just feel that the artstyle could benefit of an extra coat on it's road ahead to stand out a bit more.

While I wouldn't say they necessarily need to strive for that 8/16-bit big-pixel look, I agree with your general sentiment that the art is lacking a lot of oomph. Everything feels "thin" and "flat" and doesn't look like it stands out. The proportions are weird. There's an apparent lack of shading to give backgrounds and sprites a cohesive sense of depth. Like you say, it does lack "grit".

Temathael

Jun 9, 2018
Finland, Poland
Is there an easy mode since I am terrible at these types of games, but I love the art style?
We have been talking about that, but nothing decided yet. There's a lot of good story in the game and would be nice to allow people to experience it even if they are not used to these types of games. Probably will depend on how much effort it would take to implement in the end. Possibly a post-launch update. And glad you like the art style! There's still some work left to do with it, though. I feel like we already capture the wanted mood perfectly in the caves section of the demo for example, but the sunny outdoors sections still need a bit of work.

And the physical version is doing the campaign wonders, very nice to start a new week with such great boost! Thanks for backing LastCupOfBullets !

Just passed 80%!
991f6668a9c9f10dd61ced51bc62eb76_original.png

Last edited:

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The pixel art has some solid foundation, but the artist really needs to work on hue shifting and accepting some darker tones.

Everything just looks so washed out, especially in that first gif in the thread. There's just not enough other tones/hues in the background and it's just this overwhelming green. get some blues in there! get some dark colours for underbrush!

I'd suggest they take a look at stuff like Seiken Densetsu 3 or even MMX! For a more recent example, check out the cliffs in Owlboy, you can really see the use of blue to give that shadow'd appearance.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
The pixel art has some solid foundation, but the artist really needs to work on hue shifting and accepting some darker tones.

Everything just looks so washed out, especially in that first gif in the thread. There's just not enough other tones/hues in the background and it's just this overwhelming green. get some blues in there! get some dark colours for underbrush!

I'd suggest they take a look at stuff like Seiken Densetsu 3 or even MMX! For a more recent example, check out the cliffs in Owlboy, you can really see the use of blue to give that shadow'd appearance.

Agree. Something is off in the visuals department. It´s like the focus is not in the main layer. A fast edit of a screen, trying to better explain what I mean.

dub12pjdo.jpg

dub2lnkew.jpg

Temathael

Jun 9, 2018
Finland, Poland
Agree. Something is off in the visuals department. It´s like the focus is not in the main layer. A fast edit of a screen, trying to better explain what I mean.
While the environmental visuals can be bit problematic in some other areas as well, that's mainly problem with that sunny outdoors area of the demo, though. We wanted to go with a color palette worn out by sun, but I agree it doesn't work perfectly (I'm not an artist, tho).

But everything is work in progress still. There won't be any terrific changes to the visual side of things anymore at this point, but we are constantly making small improvements and doing color correction, improving lighting, etc. That's why all the constractive feedback is very useful, positive or not.

Temathael

Jun 9, 2018
Finland, Poland
Yooooo, congrats on the funding!
Can't imagine how stressful those last few days were!
Thanks!!
I'm personally super stress-free person, which is a great thing on this field of work.

Our CEO and couple of the other guys have been stressing like crazy, though. Great that everything is turning out so great in the end.

And as for the campaign, there's still some stretch goals to reach. First one is definitely possible, hopefully we'll get to the extended soundtrack as well. Loving every single note that Adam is composing for the game.

Temathael

Jun 9, 2018
Finland, Poland
We reached the first stretch goal, so there will be a boss rush mode! 27 hours to go:)

7LmXxp0.png

I'm personally a huge fan of bossfights in video games, so this makes me very happy. The idea is to have also every individual boss selectable from the menu for a re-match.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
We reached the first stretch goal, so there will be a boss rush mode! 27 hours to go:)

I'm personally a huge fan of bossfights in video games, so this makes me very happy. The idea is to have also every individual boss selectable from the menu for a re-match.

Congrats! Originally I wasn't a fan of a boss gauntlet in a game's main campaign but once it started to get spun-off to its own mode like in Aria of Sorrow I came around to the feature. It can be pretty fun!

Last edited:

Temathael

Jun 9, 2018
Finland, Poland
Hey, just a small update. We've been very busy working for the past month and half after the Kickstarter - schedule is pretty tight, but we expect to get the content mostly ready by the end of the year. Let's see how that goes!

Most of the UI is finally implemented. Here's a clip with some fast traveling and workshop that I added just today. Needs still quite a lot of polishing, but something like this is what you can expect to have in the final game. Just a tiny bit prettier maybe.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Not really diggind the art style, but as long as it turns out to be a fun experience, then sign me up.

Temathael

Jun 9, 2018
Finland, Poland
It's been a work-filled two years, especially the intense few months after the Kickstarter and still work left!
Super happy to finally have the game almost ready:)