• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/update-aquatic-phase-two-out-today

Update Aquatic Phase Two is out today!
Explore an ocean of new features on Windows 10, VR, mobile devices, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch!

A whole new wave of features has drifted into Minecraft! Players on Windows 10, VR, mobile devices, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch will find the second Phase of Update Aquatic pouring into their game today, including adorable turtles, bubble columns that punish careless swimmers and a sinister new mob. Yay/yikes!

Java players, we haven't forgotten you - the incredibly hard-working Java team are almost done putting together the Update Aquatic for your version – why not try the latest Java pre-release to experience some of the Aquatic features right now?

Here's what's new for Phase Two!

FULL LIST OF PHASE TWO FEATURES
  • Realms are now available on Nintendo Switch
  • The Drowned - These dangerous, underwater zombies lurk in dark, deep water and will come up to the shore at night
  • Sea Turtles - These gentle creatures can be found swimming in oceans and tanning on beaches. Protect their eggs so more can hatch!
  • Turtle Shell and Scute items
  • Potion of the Turtle Master
  • Nautilus Shells - Can be found while fishing or held by the Drowned
  • Conduits can now be constructed underwater and give players the Conduit Power effect. Craft them with Nautilus Shells & Heart of the Sea
  • Bubble Columns - Magma Blocks create downward flowing columns and Soul Sand creates upward flowing bubbles
  • New Achievements!
  • Added new commands that only affect worlds with Education Edition enabled: 1. /ability - Sets a player's ability 2. /immutableworld - Sets the immutable state of the world 3. /worldbuilder - Toggle World Builder status of caller
CHANGES
  • Changed the menu background to be themed for Update Aquatic
  • Undead mobs will now sink in water and can walk on the bottom
  • Improved the steering of Boats when using keyboard and mouse by pressing W to move forward and S to reverse
  • Dolphins can now be given Raw Fish or Raw Salmon and will swim towards the nearest Ocean Ruins or Shipwreck
  • Husks that have sunk in water will now transform into Zombies and Zombies will transform into Drowned
  • Skeleton Horses can now be ridden underwater
  • Skeletons and Strays will switch from ranged to melee attacks while underwater and switch back when out of water
  • Coral blocks will no longer die as long as one side is touching water
  • Improved player swimming at the surface of water
  • Tridents can now be enchanted with Mending and Unbreaking
  • Added an animation when using Riptide in first person perspective
  • Slightly decreased the friction of Blue Ice
  • Updated the texture of the top of Kelp
  • Updated the texture of Cooked Fish
  • Updated the Riptide spin texture
  • Default Field of View has been reduced from 70 to 60 and can be adjusted in Video Settings
  • Tridents will no longer break blocks in Creative mode
  • The Inventory button has been moved to the top of the Store page

To join the Era Realm, quote the OP in the community thread to get the Discord link:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/mi...nt-somebody-please-think-of-the-children.343/

EDIT: Made a mistake in the thread title. Switch has access to Realms, but not the Partner Servers (Lifeboat, Mineplex, InPvP, and Cubecraft) yet. Access to those servers will be in a later update.

----------------------------------------

As for when the non-Bedrock platforms are getting Update Aquatic...

Java Edition: By the end of July
https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/minecraft-113-pre-release

360/PS3/WiiU/Vita/PS4 Editions: After Bedrock finishes getting Update Aquatic (which is today so Console Edition gets it some time after today...no release date for now)
https://twitter.com/4JStudios/status/1010157691485016065
Note: Update Aquatic will be the final major release for 360/PS3/WiiU/Vita Editions. PS4 Edition will be the only remaining Console Edition by 4J Studios after this.

New 3DS Edition: This version will not get Update Aquatic

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, been playing with friends on switch and PC. Good to see the rest of the Aquatic Update out. :)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wooooo! Looking forward to hitting the Realms on Switch. Great update. The Aquatic stuff is awesome.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome. Just got this on Switch after not playing since PC 1.0 way back, glad the realm support came so fast! Definitely looking forward to trying this out.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
The Realm functionality doesn't seem to be working yet, still getting an error when creating one . Waiting for an invite to see if I can join one.

Kaede

Dec 27, 2017
Hey, does anyone know if I'm playing a single player game on Switch, if I can then upload that world as a Realm?

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Yuss! Just started a new world on Windows 10 version. Hopefully my idea of an elevator to and from my mine to my house using pistons to swap magma blocks and soulsand works now!

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Nice timing, I just installed the game again (haven't played it since the Beta) and played for like an hour today. Not really sure what changed (monsters having equipment now was all I saw) but can someone guide me on the optimal way to play this?

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
FPS seems to be a bit better in this version so far but we still get block lag in multiplayer.
Maybe I should just upload the world to a realm and be done with it.

How is the policing here, can I set certain areas as "owned" by this and this player like in the old Bukkit thing?

My daughters and her friends don't always play nice with each other in games.
Guess I could police it manually but I never know when some of the others would log into the world from their home.

Edit: i signed in with a microsoft account and first the switch actually crashed and I have to restart the whole console, but now it appears to be signed in as FaceMold<number>.. hope I can change this.

Last edited:

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to be a jerk, but why are updates so slow? Game has been out for a good couple of years now but I feel like the content isn't up to speed. I feel like there should be a lot more animals, NPCs (villagers seem so simple from what I played on PS4), enemies/weapons, etc...

Or is that all there on the PC versions/mod support?

And what do you mean PS4 will be the only remaining console edition? What about Xbox One? Does anyone know what else is planned (next major update/when)?

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Are you able to create a world on the xbox one, save, then continue that same game save on the Switch? All while connected online, of course.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Wait so my copy of Minecraft that I bought seven years ago won't get this update for another month?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Are you able to create a world on the xbox one, save, then continue that same game save on the Switch? All while connected online, of course.
I know that you can transfer your Xbox worlds to the Windows 10 version and vice versa so I assume this is possible, although I've got no way to check myself right now, because I don't own the Switch version of Minecraft yet.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Almost daily since joining the Era Realm and introducing my daughter to it, she has been asking if the switch can join yet.
Can't wait to get home from work and tell her the good news, which happens to be perfect because she's spending the night at her grandmother's tonight so she can test it out.

OP
OP
Lord Arcadio

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
And what do you mean PS4 will be the only remaining console edition? What about Xbox One? Does anyone know what else is planned (next major update/when)?

"Console Edition" refers to the version of Minecraft developed by 4J Studios.

4J was contracted to bring Minecraft to consoles and they would develop:
Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition
Minecraft: Xbox One Edition
Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition
Minecraft: Wii U Edition
Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition

All very similar to one another aside from max map size. While "Console Edition" is the most limited version of Minecraft (except for Minecraft: New 3DS Edition which is developed by another studio), it has its fans. It's the most stable version of Minecraft, has a UI designed for controllers, and has exclusive mini-games that people like.

Separate from Console Edition, Mojang developed Pocket Edition for mobile devices. It was terrible, but with how badly the original Java version was programmed, Mojang and Microsoft realized that Pocket Edition could be used as a base to make a better version of Minecraft. So they put effort into building up Pocket Edition's Bedrock Engine and would bring Bedrock over to Windows 10, Gear VR, and Fire TV (also Apple TV but that version has been abandoned).

Then they had an interesting idea. Bring Bedrock to consoles. Bedrock was brought over to Xbox One replacing the Console Edition version that was already on it. Last month, Bedrock came to Switch replacing the Console Edition there. Sony said no so PS4 didn't get Bedrock. Now the 7 Console Editions are down to 5. No one plays on 360/PS3/WiiU/Vita anymore (they said less than 5% of active players play on these) so Update Aquatic will be the final update leaving PS4 as the only Console Edition left.

Xbox One and Switch will continue to be updated, just not the Console Edition clients. The Bedrock clients will be updated.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting back into the Switch version and the recent Bedrock updates have been great. It's running great, with even more quality of life options.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
"Console Edition" refers to the version of Minecraft developed by 4J Studios.

4J was contracted to bring Minecraft to consoles and they would develop:
Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition
Minecraft: Xbox One Edition
Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition
Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition
Minecraft: Wii U Edition
Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition

All very similar to one another aside from max map size. While "Console Edition" is the most limited version of Minecraft (except for Minecraft: New 3DS Edition which is developed by another studio), it has its fans. It's the most stable version of Minecraft, has a UI designed for controllers, and has exclusive mini-games that people like.

Separate from Console Edition, Mojang developed Pocket Edition for mobile devices. It was terrible, but with how badly the original Java version was programmed, Mojang and Microsoft realized that Pocket Edition could be used as a base to make a better version of Minecraft. So they put effort into building up Pocket Edition's Bedrock Engine and would bring Bedrock over to Windows 10, Gear VR, and Fire TV (also Apple TV but that version has been abandoned).

Then they had an interesting idea. Bring Bedrock to consoles. Bedrock was brought over to Xbox One replacing the Console Edition version that was already on it. Last month, Bedrock came to Switch replacing the Console Edition there. Sony said no so PS4 didn't get Bedrock. Now the 7 Console Editions are down to 5. No one plays on 360/PS3/WiiU/Vita anymore (they said less than 5% of active players play on these) so Update Aquatic will be the final update leaving PS4 as the only Console Edition left.

Xbox One and Switch will continue to be updated, just not the Console Edition clients. The Bedrock clients will be updated.

Wow

So ps4 is gimped in terms of features and is different from others?

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
AFAIK It's currently the same, sans crossplay, however now that consoles are on Bedrock and Sony doesn't want to play ball it'll probably start to lag behind.

Deleted member 17491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: i signed in with a microsoft account and first the switch actually crashed and I have to restart the whole console, but now it appears to be signed in as FaceMold<number>.. hope I can change this.
You get assigned a random gamer tag when you first use your account an anything Xbox related, silly I know. You can change it for free the first time. https://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-account/manage-gamertag-and-profile/change-xbox-live-gamertag

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow

So ps4 is gimped in terms of features and is different from others?

That is Sony's decision. They don't want to be part of the Bedrock ecosystem.
https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/better-together-faq

Q: Will the new version be available on PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch?

A: While we are thrilled to be able to confirm the new version of Minecraft is coming to Nintendo Switch, we are still in discussions with Sony about PlayStation and have nothing to confirm. We would love to work with Sony to bring players on PlayStation 4 into this ecosystem as well.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Can someone tell me what's a good set of enchantments I can use? I think I'm gonna go find the stronghold since this looting sword got me over a stack of eyes of ender lol

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Holy crap, this xbox account stuff is hard and the pages are überslow.
I spent an hour on support chat trying to get the permissions correct on my daughters new xbox live child account to be able to join my realm.
We finally managed by allowing everything in the "Privacy and online" tab, both xbox and xbox 360..
Now I have some work to do to eliminate exactly which setting it is to allow a childs switch to go online because it's absolutely not "Allow multiplayer".

Poor guy on the chat, he was as confused as me and they have absolutely no idea of how minecraft or a switch works.

Now, one thing he couldn't help me with was setting a "co-owner" of the realm.. anyone know if that is possible? I'd like to upload a world from my daughters switch to it but she is just an "operator"

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I've been waiting for. Finally be able to play on my really with friends when away from my PC.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so my copy of Minecraft that I bought seven years ago won't get this update for another month?
The aquatic update is already on pre-release build 6. Based on past cycles, it'll likely be out this week or next.

I thought it was just cross play

Not actual content updates

Lame
They're saying no to cross play, and Microsoft/Mojang is denying them the content updates because of that. If their stance on cross play changes, they'll probably get the updates.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
The aquatic update is already on pre-release build 6. Based on past cycles, it'll likely be out this week or next.

They're saying no to cross play, and Microsoft/Mojang is denying them the content updates because of that. If their stance on cross play changes, they'll probably get the updates.
So, never then. I wish I could get a refund because thats some BS on Sony's part

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a diving suit I can craft? That's more my thing. I guess I can enchant some armor.
Hmm. Not sure. I think with this new update or soon, there might be a new enhancement that could be added to armor to allow for water breathing.

There is however an enhancement for Helmets that basically allows you to hold your breath a really long time that works well.