• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Yeah this person is legit super talented.

His other Dreams work

He is also composing in Dreams. God he is freaking good.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Some of the stuff I am seeing is absolutely jaw dropping. MM have outdone themselves with the tools here.

Bonus unrelated - Puppet show being created in Dreams

What will we see a year from now.... I cant imagine.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
giphy.gif

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Dreams is insane!

There better be a PS5 version ready with updated capabilities, maybe even crossbuy or activated automatically when you try to play your PS4 version.

Mooksoup

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This looks so good it makes me question how copyright works with a thing like Dreams.

Could Microsoft issue a takedown notice to Media Molecule for something like this?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Needs to function like one. Would be impressed if a world build create type of game would be possible with dreams.

Last edited:

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
This looks so good it makes me question how copyright works with a thing like Dreams.

Could Microsoft issue a takedown notice to Media Molecule for something like this?

It's like any other sandbox modded game. You can put Minecraft in Skyrim and vice-versa.

Devs aren't selling Minecraft for Dreams. They're only selling Dreams and letting the players do whatever they want, on their own, with their own resources.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think this game can blow up if it was on other platforms too?

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All of this stuff looks cool, and I like watching 30 sec clips of things people have made in Dreams, but I haven't seen anything that I would actually want to play.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

I dunno, MS seems like they're currently trying to raise a lot of goodwill to prepare for next gen. you could probably do Conker or Banjo in Dreams and MS won't take it down.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Playstation 4 or 5 Pro is on my to buy list just to dedicate for trying to make that Final Fantasy 11 style of Beastmaster game that I've always wanted to find a substitute for since I quit that game. This console will only be used for Dreams. My hobby within a hobby.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I mean..cool? And I know things take time. But, I have yet to see anything posted here (I haven't gone out of my way to look for) about dreams that had actual gameplay systems in place. They seem to just be showpieces so far.

Does anyone have videos of stuff with functioning gameplay that isn't just walking around and looking at things/ replicating levels from other games?

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Dreams is insane!

There better be a PS5 version ready with updated capabilities, maybe even crossbuy or activated automatically when you try to play your PS4 version.
PS5 version is a given. Very likely will be hugely upgraded too. I expect they will support Dreams far longer than LBP since it's full featured and can do any game type.

Mooksoup

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's like any other sandbox modded game. You can put Minecraft in Skyrim and vice-versa.

Devs aren't selling Minecraft for Dreams. They're only selling Dreams and letting the players do whatever they want, on their own, with their own resources.

Are companies not able to take down mods the use really close replications of their IP? I'm surprised really.

Don't get me wrong, i'm looking forward to Dreams and playing with users weird takes on other media,.. i just didn't think things like this could get by harsh copyright laws, but happy if they can.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
So, he made a visual copy of Minecraft in Dreams, yea...

Reminds me of the crap copies of Limbo that kept getting talked about that were made in Little Big Planet. Ya know, the ones that looked amazingly like Limbo but didn't even remotely play like Limbo.

I will be much more impressed when someone makes a legitimately good gaming experience using one of these creator games. For some reason, RPG Maker allows people to make legitimately good games that can sell but Little Big Planet, and like Dreams, will never get user created content that goes viral and causes them to sell.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Are companies not able to take down mods the use really close replications of their IP? I'm surprised really.

Don't get me wrong, i'm looking forward to Dreams and playing with users weird takes on other media,.. i just didn't think things like this could get by harsh copyright laws, but happy if they can.
Not unless the modder is selling the mod, or the team that make the game are promoting and selling the mod to make their game popular.

GTAV has tons of mods with different IPs, from Marvel characters, to DC.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I mean..cool? And I know things take time. But, I have yet to see anything posted here (I haven't gone out of my way to look for) about dreams that had actual gameplay systems in place. They seem to just be showpieces so far.

Does anyone have videos of stuff with functioning gameplay that isn't just walking around and looking at things/ replicating levels from other games?
I know what you mean, and you're right. Here's the thing, the serious creators are all playing around right now. Media Molecule has stated that they don't know if any early access levels will work in the final version and could be deleted. So nobody is getting serious yet. But as soon as we're out of EA, and about a month later, look out. By the way there are full platforming levels made and some other fairly substantial prototypes. Dreamsurfing is fun for an hour or two even at this very early stage.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Yo, wtf!! How is this even possible!? :O Does the game allow you to create your own textures (or import them or something)? That's crazy!!

Jan 20, 2019

Reminds me of the crap copies of Limbo that kept getting talked about that were made in Little Big Planet. Ya know, the ones that looked amazingly like Limbo but didn't even remotely play like Limbo.

I will be much more impressed when someone makes a legitimately good gaming experience using one of these creator games. For some reason, RPG Maker allows people to make legitimately good games that can sell but Little Big Planet, and like Dreams, will never get user created content that goes viral and causes them to sell.

Can't compare a studio of 30 peopel working on a game for years to one person work for 2 week's.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I know what you mean, and you're right. Here's the thing, the serious creators are all playing around right now. Media Molecule has stated that they don't know if any early access levels will work in the final version and could be deleted. So nobody is getting serious yet. But as soon as we're out of EA, and about a month later, look out. By the way there are full platforming levels made and some other fairly substantial prototypes. Dreamsurfing is fun for an hour or two even at this very early stage.
Ah ok, that makes sense.

It's a concept from a MM employee, but god damn does it feel good to play.

This is cool, definitely more what I was expecting. My dream (hah) is for Dreams to be the console equivalent of itch.io.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017

These are being done in 2 weeks.. 2 weeks

Mooksoup

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Not unless the modder is selling the mod, or the team that make the game are promoting and selling the mod to make their game popular.

GTAV has tons of mods with different IPs, from Marvel characters, to DC.

Ah yeah ok, that makes sense. And with Mm's Little Big Planet history I'm sure they know how to handle all this.

Maybe it's just striking me as odd because I feel like i'm seeing so much of this type of thing, before the full game release, more than actual advertising from Sony.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, the cooks are making some incredible things, and seeing that non of their creations will be saved most likely, I can understand their testing phase, especially with how open this creator platform seems. The video above shows a lot of potential, of course along with the stuff MM showed themselves, like the guitar fighting game (been a while since I saw that but I remember it being very interesting).

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It seems like some people in this thread don't understand that developing these things takes time, especially if it's only one person. And creators aren't sure that whatever they make won't transfer to the final game, so no one has gotten serious yet.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/developers/rules

• Except as described here, you can't sell or otherwise earn any compensation from your Item, including through advertisements in the Item. This means you can't charge money in exchange for your Item, post it on a site that requires subscription or other fees to view the Item, or post it on a page you use to sell other items or services(even if they have nothing to do with Game Content or Microsoft). You also can't use Game Content in an app that you sell in an app store.
  • You may make your Item available on Youtube or Twitch and participate in programs on those sites that allow you to earn revenue from ads displayed in connection with your Item.
  • If the Item you create and distribute is a free app, then you must distribute it for free (you can't charge for it), and you also can't earn any money from advertising in that app.
all good

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little worried that the rollout of Dreams will never allow it to truly catch on but hopefully I'm wrong. I think you'll see it on steam by 2020

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
What are some of the cooler original games being created in Dreams? All I keep seeing are shittier versions of existing games.

There are already fantastic stuff. I just posted these done in 2 weeks

There are multi year projects some people are working which already look fantastic.