• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
Really dumb question:

A few years ago, the Windows 10 version of Minecraft had the ability to play with iPhones, iPads, etc if they were on the same wifi. There was a menu with same network worlds and you could join in. When I was visiting my younger cousins I was able to play with them this way.

Jump to now, the promise of Play Together means that when I babysit the next door neighbors, I can be on my switch, they can be on their Xbox, and iPads, and we're golden. Right?

Except, how? I tried opening up the Switch version, logging into my Microsoft account. Then did the same on my phone... and found no way to jump in. A few years ago, as stated above, I could easily join up, but now I am lost in menus upon menus. There's something about inviting friends, is that the only way to do this now?

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Switch cannot do LAN multiplayer with other platforms. It can only do cross-play over the internet. So everyone needs to have a free Microsoft/XBL account and you need to add them as XBL friends.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, I've got a dumb question - I've never ever played Minecraft, so I have no idea how this works, but how does your "world" or "server" work? Like, if my wife and I each get Minecraft for our switches, could we share the same world? And could one of us go into the world on our own and build something for the other person, and then later play together and that sorta thing? Or do we always have to be online together at the same time? Is the "world" stored on one of our devices? Or is it stored on a server somewhere that we log into?

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Normally, worlds are stored locally. So if you create a world, your wife can only join it if you are on that world. She can join through local wifi or the internet.

With realms (which will be available to Switch users soon), you can host a world Microsoft's servers for a fee and she can join even if you are not on.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Normally, worlds are stored locally. So if you create a world, your wife can only join it if you are on that world. She can join through local wifi or the internet.

With realms (which will be available to Switch users soon), you can host a world Microsoft's servers for a fee and she can join even if you are not on.

Ah gotcha, so sounds like we'd need to wait for realms to come out before we try it. Thank you!

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
Well this is some Bedrock version bullshit, apparently guardians can fly now. Even if I shoot them they "fall" a few blocks down and then just fly back up the shaft and hover in midair. I really don't understand the point of them nerfing guardian farms in Win10. I spent many dozens of hours clearing all the water so just let me have my damn guardian drops.

I really hope this and all the other weirdness about their spawning is just bugs with the new aquatic stuff. Right now the only way they will spawn is if there is some water, an opaque floor beneath them, and sky access above. By this logic there would be none spawning inside the monuments which doesn't make any sense.

0XaOJQP.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Is the dlc that comes with the physical different then the wiki?

I basically got:

Mario mash up world

Natural texture pack

4 skin packs:
Mario one
campfire tales
biome settler
battle and beasts 1

Last edited:

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
So I'm still working on making resource packs.
One thing I would really like to do is modify models, but it looks like modifying an entity might take a few extra steps.
What I need is a way to save models to .Json. Wondering how I can do that?

Deleted member 21431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, my mountain hideout on the server, north of Arcadia is progressing well, with the "donut room" meaning the base runs through the whole of the mountain, north to south. Over the next week I plan on building an entrance meaning the base will be discoverable to anyone who passes by. I also plan on building a road to Arcadia.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
So the create/ join Realm options are there in the new Switch update.

Create is giving me a store error.

Any chance of an invite so I can check if join works?

Edit : Nevermind, was just pointed out to me they won't be the same version til tomorrow. Excited to start building with others.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Quote the OP for the Discord link.

I'm going to guess that Realms has not updated to 1.5 yet.

Edit: I logged into the Era Realm with a device on 1.4. It has not updated yet.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a realms subscription option on the Xbox store? Or do you have to set it up separately ?

Presumably be the same on Switch later. (it is giving me a "can't access the store error " when I try create a realm so probably)

Edit : With infinite worlds, after a title update do previously unexplored areas get the new content or do you have to start a new one, thanks?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a realms subscription option on the Xbox store? Or do you have to set it up separately ?

Presumably be the same on Switch later. (it is giving me a "can't access the store error " when I try create a realm so probably)

Edit : With infinite worlds, after a title update do previously unexplored areas get the new content or do you have to start a new one, thanks?

yeah. Some features will appear throughout the world (for example there's fish in all the rivers on the Eracraft realm) others are exclusive to the new chunks (if you want the new oceans you have to head to areas that weren't loaded before.)

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, join our Discord and ask for Invite. You will then get a PM here.

Kinda roundabout way of inviting people... But, helps to ensure we know who is who as well as prevent griefers.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
So wait, we need to quote the OP post to get a link to the discord to then join the realms server? (which I assume is a multiplayer server, kind of confused by all these names).

Do you need anything special to play in the era server? (DLC's or anything?)
I haven't played this game since the Beta so I'm kind of lost.

@@edit

wait I get it what you mean by quote.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just need to own the Minecraft Bedrock edition on mobile, PC, Xbox One or Switch basically.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Minecraft no longer works on my outdated PC. I have an Xbox One that I haven't even opened yet, a PS4, and a Switch. What's my best option. I still want to use a keyboard and mouse. And which of these has access to the Aquatic update? I have the latest version on the Xbox One since last Black Friday. It cost me $30.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Minecraft no longer works on my outdated PC. I have an Xbox One that I haven't even opened yet, a PS4, and a Switch. What's my best option. I still want to use a keyboard and mouse. And which of these has access to the Aquatic update? I have the latest version on the Xbox One since last Black Friday. It cost me $30.

The Xbox as you should be able to get the bedrock version. If physical put it in and then go to the store on the Xbox. You should be able to download the new one which is just called Minecraft.

Though which system so you use the most?

Last edited:

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The Xbox as you should be able to get the bedrock version. If physical put it in and then go to the store on the Xbox. You should be able to download the new one which is just called Minecraft.

Though which system so you use the most?

I use the PS4, but I'd prefer to play Minecraft on the keyboard. I did a small test run of Minecraft on the PS3 to get an idea of what it's like to play with a controller. I'm not feeling it. I have Minecraft on just about all home consoles with the exception of Wii U and Switch. As to the XBox One version, I own the most recent physical copy that comes with the explorer pack. The boxart has all friendly mobs standing on top of a steep hilltop. The same boxart is featured on the Switch version. I got the explorer pack version on the Xbox One because playing it on my PC was increasingly becoming non-tenable for me. It's frustrating only being able to see 10 blocks in front of you, of chunks taking 10 seconds to load up, of moving at 20 FPS.

I'm typically biased to the PS4, but Sony seems quite obstinate with the whole cross platform issue and has seemingly fallen behind on updates as a result.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Hey not starting anything. I prefer PC but it isn't too bad on the switch. So I assume the others are the same. You get use to it. Auto jump screen you over more then anything.

I also didn't realize you bought Minecraft recently. Just assume it was before the bedrock for Xbox was released.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hey not starting anything. I prefer PC but it isn't too bad on the switch. So I assume the others are the same. You get use to it. Auto jump screen you over more then anything.

I also didn't realize you bought Minecraft recently. Just assume it was before the bedrock for Xbox was released.

I've had Minecraft for years on the PC. It's just become annoyingly unwieldy as of late. I've had the older home console versions for years, and purchased the PS4 and XBox One versions fairly recently. The latest copy on the XBox One has the explorers pack included.

Until I get a new PC, I'm stuck with the console versions. I heard you can connect a keyboard and mouse to play on the XBox One, so I'm angling in that direction. Keep in mind, the only console version I have played so far has been the PS3, and that was for a few hours. I'm still struggling to get a grasp on the controls for the PS3.

How big are the worlds in PS4/Xbox One in comparison to the PS3/Xbox 360?

silentbum

Oct 27, 2017
I've only ever played console versions of Minecraft, via the 360 and former Switch version. Is there any place I can check out to figure how the heck this new crafting menu works? I'm literally dumbfounded by it whenever I open up the inventory screen. I'd heard people say it was a different system than the previous console versions, but I don't even know what I'm looking at or how to build the stuff I want.

When I hover red items that I don't currently have the parts for, it doesn't even show me what parts I need to be able to craft.

I hope there's some more elegant solution that I'm missing or something, because I love everything else about this version so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I've had Minecraft for years on the PC. It's just become annoyingly unwieldy as of late. I've had the older home console versions for years, and purchased the PS4 and XBox One versions fairly recently. The latest copy on the XBox One has the explorers pack included.

Until I get a new PC, I'm stuck with the console versions. I heard you can connect a keyboard and mouse to play on the XBox One, so I'm angling in that direction. Keep in mind, the only console version I have played so far has been the PS3, and that was for a few hours. I'm still struggling to get a grasp on the controls for the PS3.

How big are the worlds in PS4/Xbox One in comparison to the PS3/Xbox 360?

You can connect KBM to both Xbox and PS4.

Bedrock worlds are infinite, like java. They aren't limited like the older versions. Bedrock is pretty close to java, it doesn't have the combat update that java got. But they are reworking combat anyways.

masud

Oct 31, 2017
Can finially join the realm on Switch!

Not a fan of either of the jungles on the realm. Foliage is not thick enough. Did they make a change to the Jungle Biome or something?:

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, re-installed Minecraft after so many years i can't remember.
I'll join the Discord in a moment. MC is not exactly fun alone...

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never really found MC much fun alone after i played on old GAF server. MP is just so much better, either showing off what you've done or admiring others' stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Never really found MC much fun alone after i played on old GAF server. MP is just so much better, either showing off what you've done or admiring others' stuff.
I think the biggest problem with MC is, even with the new stuff they've added, worlds feel pretty empty in SMP. I really loved the console version's tutorial worlds because they had all these random huts and ruins that made it feel like something had been there before you, more than just the strongholds and mineshaft.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took a look at the old Neocraft world... holy shit there are some big buildings, didn't even remember. Also found my old unfinished "Windblade", gotta build that on the new realm or something akin to it.

Veritigo

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, that player save deletion bug is brutal. Had a few players from my realm get that when they logged in last night. Hours and hours of enchanted items, maps, etc lost.

I'm reading the bug's been fixed but it must've carried over from when they logged on from a different device last week. I'm reading backing up the realm could fix it but that just means a trade-off of losing hours of other people's work just to retrieve the items lost.

Hoping Mojang has a fix for this since it's soured people in my group from playing anymore. Kinda baffling such a huge bug could make it into production.

Deleted member 21431

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the biggest problem with MC is, even with the new stuff they've added, worlds feel pretty empty in SMP. I really loved the console version's tutorial worlds because they had all these random huts and ruins that made it feel like something had been there before you, more than just the strongholds and mineshaft.

The thing they need to do next is an air update, adding Bee's, butterflies, birds, better weather (rainbows, wind) etc. But whatever they do single player will always feel a bit empty, I find just by playing on a map when someone else is out there somewhere, even if I'm not interacting with them, is more fun.