• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
You can make an overpowered character build
There are no classes in Minecraft Dungeons, so your character build is solely based on your equipment and the enchantments attached to them. Any player can equip an enchantment on any weapon or armour piece and Mojang understands (and likes) that this could lead to some pretty powerful character builds.

Executive producer David Nisshagen, says that because of the ridiculous power of some of the enchantments, "it's probably a bit unbalanced but we don't care because it's fun". Nisshagen says that because Minecraft Dungeons is PvE and not PvP, players can go bonkers with overpowered character builds, making battles more frantic and hopefully more enjoyable too.

There's no weapon crafting in Minecraft Dungeons, so everything is based around the enchantment system. You can find items that are already enchanted, but to activate their abilities you'll need to get XP from completing dungeons. If you find a weapon with amazing enchantments, you can sell your old one in exchange for enchantment points and spend them on the new loot you've found.

Enchantments aren't strictly for players. Mobs can also use them and cause devastating havoc. It might be fun when you're running around the dungeons leaving fire trails, but being up against a bunch of slimes that leave fire everywhere they move can be brutal.

Looting in multiplayer
Looting in Minecraft Dungeons works similarly to Diablo. All the loot that you collect is yours to keep, meaning everyone in the party gets their fair share of gear. When you open a chest with some amazing equipment inside, you won't have to throw down against your friends to claim it. However, mission items and consumables like food, TNT, and arrows will be given to whoever gets it first.

Players can choose the difficulty level with a threat-slider
Mojang has said that Minecraft Dungeons' difficulty can be the same as either Lego games or bulky RPGs. Nisshagen explains that they wanted anyone to be able to play. "One of the goals we did with the game was to make it accessible," Nisshagen says. "Anyone should be able to pick up and play. So it's not complicated, but it is quite complex. Once you start digging into the synergies, you can create very, very complex character builds."

In the mission select menu, there is also a threat slider that players can use to select the difficulty. There's a recommended difficulty option for those who want structure, but players are free to choose what challenge they want. Difficulty also changes based on your party size and additional difficulty modes will be unlocked after the main story is completed.

Locations and hidden treasure
Each level begins with an opening cutscene and voiceover narrative explaining the mission and what you have to do to complete it. Each level features a fixed sequence of objectives, with procedurally generated pathways in-between. If you were to replay a mission, the key objective would stay the same but the route to complete it would be randomised.

Most of the levels are pretty linear but Nisshagen says that there are also hidden bits of treasure and loot if you stray from the main route. "We do want to let the players explore and find treasure if you go off the directed path," Nisshagen says. "There are all sorts of secrets to discover."

Each level looks to have been uniquely designed to give a different dungeon-crawling experience. There are locations like the foreboding Creeper Woods that has a more open and layered structure, and then there's the Red Stone Mines that have a much more winding, classic dungeon crawly vibe. A third location called Pumpkin Pastures has a cosy autumnal feel—at least it would if it wasn't crawling with enemies.

Post-launch details: level editor and cross-play
Minecraft Dungeons will launch with two different editions: the base game edition and the hero edition which includes two sets of DLC. Minecraft Dungeons will also be part of the Xbox Games Pass the same day it launches on other platforms on May 26.

Unfortunately, there will not be cross-play or cloud saves between platforms, but it's been confirmed that the team will be working on it post-launch. Nisshagen also says that the team wants to work on a level editor down the line, but that with Minecraft Dungeons launching on multiple platforms it would be a big job.

www.pcgamer.com

You can create OP characters in Minecraft Dungeons but the devs 'don't care because it's fun'

More details about the action-RPG's character-builds, locations, looting, and post-launch plans.

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sounds good but does it requires one account per player? Say, I need to purchase licences for each player, like Minecraft, even in local mode?

I wish I could try it in beta to see how it works, is an open beta planned?

I'm pretty sure you can create different accounts on the Xbox without the need of another licence. BL3 works this way too. Local coop is possible with multiple accounts.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I'm going to be interested to see if my daughter will like this or not as I am really going to want to play this with her. I know they say no cross play (which is a bummer) but has anyone seen anything one way or on cross save?

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Sounds good but does it requires one account per player? Say, I need to purchase licences for each player, like Minecraft, even in local mode?

Im pretty sure you dont need to buy multiple games to play local with your friends on Minecraft. On Xbox you have to log in with a account (which can be a guest) but that's it? Am I wrong? Haven't played in a while.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
Totally enjoying the beta.
Is there any word on if the Switch version will have local coop via local wireless between two switches? My godson and I usually enjoy that configuration

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If someone who has the game is signed in, then anyone else can join with a controller. It's the same as any other couch co-op game.

We've had 3 of us playing couch co-op on the beta, and 2 are guests.

Imho the beta shows a lot of promise. I meant to write up some thoughts on it .

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I really enjoyed what I played of the beta. It just feels awesome to play with satisfying combat and exploring the levels for secrets and loot is a lot of fun. It manages to create a lot of charm even with such simple visuals (simple in a geometrical sense). Will absolutely pick this up at lauch!

While I do think it's nice that they are hoping to developer a level editor, personally I'd much rather see the devs focus on creating new actual good playable content. 99% of levels made with level editors end up being total crap. And even that 1 okay percent is impossible to find because everything that gets upvoted are always the cheat "get all da bestest loot, get platinum trophies here, super duper 200% xp gain" type cheat levels.

I would love for this to get years of good post launch replayable content. The game just screams for a randomized adventure mode and or a infinite randomized dungeon you can just keep playing and playing over and over.

Last edited:

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well damn didn't realize it was gonna be so cheap and coming out so soon. Love me a loot game so think I'll be in for the switch version.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
No cross play at launch is a bummer although since i am getting it on xbox via gamepass i could pony up some bucks for the switch version

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
A shame there is no cross play at launch considering they are using the mine craft licence and the main game would have exisiting friendships across platforms it would have made sense to have it from the go but at least it is coming.

Also 4 player local drop in coop is HUGE for this game.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

I have been playing the beta and when my kids want to play we just add extra players they get the nametag(1),(2) etc designation and their characters save at the login screen which is nice

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My random thoughts from the beta:-

Quick takeaway - it's a Minecraft theme for Diablo 3 and I mean that in a good way!

Slightly longer takeaway - The loot and stats etc are a bit simpler than Diablo 3 but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It makes it relatively easy to compare items and the number/combination of perks (enchantments) mean that specific builds will possible. It seems like the perks can synergize with each other.

Gameplay loop
The game seems built like Diablo - there are campaign missions that you run through once to get the story, and then you replay them at higher difficulties to use your shiny new loot. Rinse and repeat. The campaign missions have 7 levels of difficulty just on Defaulty mode, and then there are two whole sets of difficulty above that!

Fighting
The fighting mechanics seem fairly simple in the beta. Melee and ranged with some aoe effects. Higher difficulty means more mobs, with more health, and more armour. There are a few boss fights in the Beta and they have some attacks and mechanics which mean you have to move and dodge etc, al whilst controlling aggro from adds. It felt very similar to Diablo combat.

Loot and Builds
Loot seems interesting - you get unique items fairly early on and they have built in perks which are aimed towards a certain build. E.g. "ranged" armour which gives you more arrows, more damage per arrow, and maybe more speed.

Each item gives you a choice of 1, 2 or 3 perks to put on it, and in each slot you choose out of a possible 2 or 3 perks. This means there is some RNG and if people are looking for an "end game loot grind" then this game should have some. You'll want the specific item with 3 enchantments, out of a possible set of 8 or 9.

Re-running missions at higher difficulties, all 3 of us seemed to get at least one interesting/powerful thing per run.

Secrets
It's early to say in the beta but it looks like there is some effort to put secrets in the game. You have a roll that lets you roll over gaps, so sometimes there are weird little side areas you can only reach by rolling, and that gives you a secret chest.

There are also random levers you can pull. In one case this unlocks a whole other secret mission, in most cases it starts a "challenge room" where you fight a load of mobs and get a chest at the end.

Even in the beta you start to get to the point where "floor loot" is relatively pointless and you want "chest loot" to have a half decent chance at a unique item.

Local co-op
Just like Diablo - all local player menus cover the whole screen, which kind of sucks. Youu have to find a safe area, and then take it in turns to open your menu and sort through loot and make decisions about enchantments. It breaks up the flow of the game, and could be slicker. It also doesn't pause the game so you can have mobs wander in from quite far away and hurt people).

Map layout
You can definitely see/feel their design of some fixed/static/important areas interlinked with RNG areas. I'd say it's...serviceable...but nothing about the maps was really intriguing. Again it's like Diablo - you pop up the overlay map and then run around making sure you "fill in" every area. You're not really looking where you're going, especially on subsequent runs of maps to power up. The RNG is enough to mean that you have to look at the map and put some effort into exploring, but you also quiclly recognise the "fixed" areas.

In solo play the maps feel pretty large - it took me 30+ minutes to get through all the areas of a dungeon (taking my time and poking at weird glitches). If you want to uncover all areas of a map, i'd still say its 20 minutes and 30+ if you have 3 of you stopping to look at inventorys and equip loot).

Overall I really enjoyed it, and my 8 and 11 year old loved it, so can't wait for the main game! I just hope they can generate enough content to keep people playing - the community created maps could really do that.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
My random thoughts from the beta:-

Quick takeaway - it's a Minecraft theme for Diablo 3 and I mean that in a good way!

Slightly longer takeaway - The loot and stats etc are a bit simpler than Diablo 3 but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It makes it relatively easy to compare items and the number/combination of perks (enchantments) mean that specific builds will possible. It seems like the perks can synergize with each other.

Gameplay loop
The game seems built like Diablo - there are campaign missions that you run through once to get the story, and then you replay them at higher difficulties to use your shiny new loot. Rinse and repeat. The campaign missions have 7 levels of difficulty just on Defaulty mode, and then there are two whole sets of difficulty above that!

Fighting
The fighting mechanics seem fairly simple in the beta. Melee and ranged with some aoe effects. Higher difficulty means more mobs, with more health, and more armour. There are a few boss fights in the Beta and they have some attacks and mechanics which mean you have to move and dodge etc, al whilst controlling aggro from adds. It felt very similar to Diablo combat.

Loot and Builds
Loot seems interesting - you get unique items fairly early on and they have built in perks which are aimed towards a certain build. E.g. "ranged" armour which gives you more arrows, more damage per arrow, and maybe more speed.

Each item gives you a choice of 1, 2 or 3 perks to put on it, and in each slot you choose out of a possible 2 or 3 perks. This means there is some RNG and if people are looking for an "end game loot grind" then this game should have some. You'll want the specific item with 3 enchantments, out of a possible set of 8 or 9.

Re-running missions at higher difficulties, all 3 of us seemed to get at least one interesting/powerful thing per run.

Secrets
It's early to say in the beta but it looks like there is some effort to put secrets in the game. You have a roll that lets you roll over gaps, so sometimes there are weird little side areas you can only reach by rolling, and that gives you a secret chest.

There are also random levers you can pull. In one case this unlocks a whole other secret mission, in most cases it starts a "challenge room" where you fight a load of mobs and get a chest at the end.

Even in the beta you start to get to the point where "floor loot" is relatively pointless and you want "chest loot" to have a half decent chance at a unique item.

Local co-op
Just like Diablo - all local player menus cover the whole screen, which kind of sucks. Youu have to find a safe area, and then take it in turns to open your menu and sort through loot and make decisions about enchantments. It breaks up the flow of the game, and could be slicker. It also doesn't pause the game so you can have mobs wander in from quite far away and hurt people).

Map layout
You can definitely see/feel their design of some fixed/static/important areas interlinked with RNG areas. I'd say it's...serviceable...but nothing about the maps was really intriguing. Again it's like Diablo - you pop up the overlay map and then run around making sure you "fill in" every area. You're not really looking where you're going, especially on subsequent runs of maps to power up. The RNG is enough to mean that you have to look at the map and put some effort into exploring, but you also quiclly recognise the "fixed" areas.

In solo play the maps feel pretty large - it took me 30+ minutes to get through all the areas of a dungeon (taking my time and poking at weird glitches). If you want to uncover all areas of a map, i'd still say its 20 minutes and 30+ if you have 3 of you stopping to look at inventorys and equip loot).

Overall I really enjoyed it, and my 8 and 11 year old loved it, so can't wait for the main game! I just hope they can generate enough content to keep people playing - the community created maps could really do that.
Great write up. Should post it here also. :)

www.resetera.com

MineCraft Dungeons Beta Impressions/Invite Thread

The beta has now been live for around 10 hours for me. Have you played it? how are you feeling about it? I've played the first 3 missions and I am pleasantly surprised about how smooth the game-play is and the inventory system is pretty cool too. Seems like a great package for $20US and even...

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
The beta is really good. We will see how the final release goes (great i hope!).

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
I have been playing the beta and when my kids want to play we just add extra players they get the nametag(1),(2) etc designation and their characters save at the login screen which is nice
Great, is the save are tied to the account? Because I'm wondering if it will be best to have one account on PC and then another on Switch. It will depends how characters are managed. Is it like Battle.Net or it's a local save? Thanks!

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Great, is the save are tied to the account? Because I'm wondering if it will be best to have one account on PC and then another on Switch. It will depends how characters are managed. Is it like Battle.Net or it's a local save? Thanks!
Yeah all the kids characters are tied to my account and they just cycle through them. They like "levelling" the different skins but it's important to note that it's not an ARPG in the full sense but more a gear levelling excercise. Once your ones find a weapon and items that fit how they like to play just level those up.