• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
HEJTBTU.jpg

REVIEW THREAD
Game summary:
Minecraft Dungeons. An all-new action-adventure game, inspired by classic dungeon crawlers and set in the Minecraft universe! Available on Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Xbox Game Pass for PC and for Console. Launching May 26th.

Video reviews:

Reviews:
PowerUp Gaming - 9.3

powerup-gaming.com

Minecraft Dungeons Review (PC) – Hole Lotta Fun - PowerUp!

Minecraft is the best selling videogame of all time. With over 200 million copies sold, it's an undeniable success and phenomenon. However, it's open-ended, sandbox-style of gameplay isn't for everyone and since Microsoft purchased the IP in 2014 it's been looking for ways to diversify the...

Windows Central: 9
www.windowscentral.com

Minecraft Dungeons review: Compelling combat, relentlessly rewarding, deceptively difficult

Minecraft Dungeons casts off the Diablo "clone" status and sits among the best action RPGs of the gen.
Minecraft Dungeons meat is in its satisfying combat and complex character-building opportunities, and in that, the game delivers by the truckload.

Gamerheadquarters.com - 8.5
gamerheadquarters.com

Minecraft Dungeons Review

Minecraft Dungeons Review of this spin-off release that provides a dungeon crawling atmosphere that's meant for cooperative loot gathering on Xbox One - Gamerheadquarters

Destructoid - 8
www.destructoid.com

Review: Minecraft Dungeons

Bring the family If you include its alpha period, Minecraft turns 10 years old this year. I know! For some...
Although Minecraft Dungeons might not have the depth that a lot of hardcore dungeon crawler fans are looking for, it's an easy game to pick up and play at pretty much any point: solo or otherwise. Minecraft has proven itself to be quite the enduring and endearing IP over the past decade, and Dungeons is now partially responsible for that legacy.

Attack of the Fanboy - 8
attackofthefanboy.com

Minecraft Dungeons Review - Attack of the Fanboy

Minecraft Dungeons is an incredibly charming dungeon crawler that doesn't have the depth to replace its counterparts, but it's still a blast while it lasts.
Minecraft Dungeons is an incredibly charming dungeon crawler that doesn't have the depth to replace its counterparts, but it's still a blast while it lasts.

GamingBible - 8
www.ladbible.com

'Minecraft Dungeons' Review: An Enchanting Adventure Delivering A Diablo-Like Twist

'Minecraft Dungeons' brings the world of Minecraft to the dungeon-crawler genre in a fun and engaging way
Minecraft Dungeons is an enchanting game that will keep you, and your kids, entertained for a good few hours. A decade on from the original game, this is an exciting move for the behemoth that is the Minecraft franchise, and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

TrueAchievements - 8
www.trueachievements.com

Minecraft Dungeons review: a superb and surprisingly challenging dungeon crawler

Minecraft Dungeons is not only an excellent dungeon crawler it's surprisingly hard at times too. Although a little basic in some areas, there is still hours of fun here to be had by all ages.

IGN - 7
www.ign.com

Minecraft Dungeons Review - IGN

Minecraft Dungeons is a fun, entry-level dungeon crawler with a lovely aesthetic.
Minecraft Dungeons is a beautiful and fun dungeon crawler with a simple but tried-and-true set of systems in place. It plays it extremely safe, though, without bringing anything mining or crafting spins to the genre to accompany Minecraft's signature look and feel. Still, it's just so damn charming, and so fun, it's hard to fault it for going the safe route. With tons of loot, secret areas to uncover, and progressively more aggressive difficulty levels to unlock, Minecraft Dungeons has a fair amount of replayability beyond its relatively short six to eight-hour story mode. But who plays Minecraft for the story, anyway?

Trusted Reviews - 7
www.trustedreviews.com

Minecraft Dungeons

Mojang has crafted a solid introduction for dungeon crawler newcomers with this Minecraft spin-off. Find out what we thought of Minecraft Dungeons.
Minecraft Dungeons is a solid dungeon crawler that will work wonders with younger audiences taking their first step into the genre, although will leave experienced players wanting something more significant. A brief campaign and underdeveloped hub world prevent it from achieving greatness, yet I can't help but be impressed by the foundation Mojang Studios has built here.

PCGamesN - 7
www.pcgamesn.com

Minecraft Dungeons review – my first Diablo

Mojang's foray into hack-and-slash is as charming as it is stripped down
All of which leaves me in a bit of a quandary when it comes to pinning a number to the end of this otherwise nuanced discussion. Soloing grownups are likely to find Dungeons unsatisfying, for the most part – though that's not to say it doesn't hit all of the right dopamine switches with its levelling and loot systems – while raid parties will probably have a grand old time, at least for a while.

And if you happen to have any pre-teen allies who are dear to you, then you'll experience the game at its most magical. If you're lucky enough to fall into the latter camp, then whack another point on the score below.

Stevivor: 6.5
stevivor.com

Minecraft Dungeons Review: Good, but not great

I'm too old to get the appeal of Minecraft proper, even though my young nephew tried to get me across it before he himself abandoned the property for Fortnite.
Minecraft Dungeons is competent, fun in spurts, but not amazing. I had more fun in the Xbox Live Party just catching up with friends mindlessly shooting the shit than I did actually playing. By that point, we'd decided to put the difficulty to recommended levels are were breezing through things, grabbing new gear and levelling up as we went. We basically decided we'd keep playing through the three major difficulties, but really because it seems like some easy gamerscore rather than an activity we're invested in.

Metacritic score PC: 76

OpenCritic score: 74

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Destructoid - 8
www.destructoid.com

Review: Minecraft Dungeons

Bring the family If you include its alpha period, Minecraft turns 10 years old this year. I know! For some...
Although Minecraft Dungeons might not have the depth that a lot of hardcore dungeon crawler fans are looking for, it's an easy game to pick up and play at pretty much any point: solo or otherwise. Minecraft has proven itself to be quite the enduring and endearing IP over the past decade, and Dungeons is now partially responsible for that legacy.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
So this is a tricky one for me.

My kids love Minecraft so I'll be getting this one for them in some way - Either free on gamepass but then I have to buy more controllers as I'm down to a last functioning one. Or I buy it on the Switch where I have the controllers but possibly not running as well?

I cant see a Switch review yet so I'll wait for that one I guess.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Attack of the Fanboy - 8
attackofthefanboy.com

Minecraft Dungeons Review - Attack of the Fanboy

Trusted Reviews - 7
www.trustedreviews.com

Minecraft Dungeons

Mojang has crafted a solid introduction for dungeon crawler newcomers with this Minecraft spin-off. Find out what we thought of Minecraft Dungeons.
Minecraft Dungeons is a solid dungeon crawler that will work wonders with younger audiences taking their first step into the genre, although will leave experienced players wanting something more significant. A brief campaign and underdeveloped hub world prevent it from achieving greatness, yet I can't help but be impressed by the foundation Mojang Studios has built here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Very solid scores, seems like a no brainer for everyone interested in the core premise. Especially as budget release or even free via GamePass.

We need that Cross Play patch though.

My kids love Minecraft so I'll be getting this one for them in some way - Either free on gamepass but then I have to buy more controllers as I'm down to a last functioning one. Or I buy it on the Switch where I have the controllers but possibly not running as well?

I doubt MS would wanna release a bad running Minecraft game on Switch - we have seen gameplay footage of that versions and it seems to run just fine.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan

The game looks good, but I don't think it's enough to make the switch slow down. I'm getting it on the Switch.

Btw I'm a bit surprised to see that there doesn't seem to be as much depth and maybe as much content as I expected. I'm not expecting hardcore, but it would be nice if it had lots of content. Still, if the game itself is fun to play, I guess I'll be looking forward to the updates as well.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
TrueAchievements - 8
www.trueachievements.com

Minecraft Dungeons review: a superb and surprisingly challenging dungeon crawler

Minecraft Dungeons is not only an excellent dungeon crawler it's surprisingly hard at times too. Although a little basic in some areas, there is still hours of fun here to be had by all ages.
Minecraft Dungeons is a superb dungeon crawler with something for players of all ages. Although somewhat basic in terms of weapons, armour and abilities, there is just enough variety to keep some of the more hardcore dungeon-crawling fans satiated. Surprisingly, the game does offer up a pretty intense challenge, just not so much at first. The enemies are varied in their attacks, and the boss fights are a highlight that will have you gripped until you finally land that killing blow. As long as you're not expecting too much in terms of plot, customisation and stat building, Minecraft Dungeons offers a fantastic gameplay experience that can be enjoyed either on your own or with friends.

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
I like this, and was thinking about getting it, but I'm put off by the lack of depth to it compared to similar games in the genre, maybe when the DLC packs are shown they might flesh it out somewhat...

sod it, I'm still gonna get it...

ShotyMcFat

Oct 29, 2017
Dungeon crawlers arnt really my thing but I'm surprisingly looking forward to this. I'm expecting around 7-8/10.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
SkillUp said the campaign is only 3 hours. Seems VERY short for a $20 game, regardless of replayability

Can anyone confirm?

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
SkillUp said the campaign is only 3 hours. Seems VERY short for a $20 game, regardless of replayability

Can anyone confirm?

I haven't finished the game yet. But I've done over half the dungeons and I'm 2.5 hours in. Most important with these kind of games is the replayability. The story isn't that great anyway. So don't know how good it is to replay.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Damn. Yeah, that's a bit of a deal-breaker for me - wasn't expecting something hugely hefty, as these games hinge on replayability, but that's excessively short. Doesn't help that another criticism is limited depth and poor diversity in locales.

It's a shame. I know I'm not the intended audience for this, and am sure it'll still move millions upon millions of copies, but for a while there I thought this was shaping up to be an objectively great game.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It's okay but the combat isn't satisfying enough. Like, it feels like you hit stuff with weapons made of paper.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Seems okay for what it is - they are likely gonna add more than enough content down the line.
It was always going to be " My first Dungeon Crawler" kind of experience for newer players or for Older players that want to play something with their kids.

People compared it to hardcore experiences ala Diablo when in fact it should have been compared to something like Cats Quest 2.
Having that said, CQ2 seems like the more interesting product as of now. Lets see how they are gonna handled updates and DLC down the line.

For GamePass owners its a no brainer, everyone else might be okay with waiting a bit on it.
Oh, I don't agree about that. I felt the different weapons all had their own feel and there was enough weight to them. I actually liked the combat.
That sounds good.

Never gonna happen, but i wish this had a short demo on Switch lol.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Damn...I had not kept up with this game but was hoping it was closer to Diablo 3 in Minecraft clothes.
I should have known it would be a bit simpler due to target audience.
Regardless, I will play it for sure since it's on Gamepass!

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
NME - 6
www.nme.com

‘Minecraft Dungeons’ review: short but sweet dungeon crawler that struggles to live up to its name

'Diablo' meets everyone's favourite sandbox game in this action RPG spin-off that's full of character – but short on complexity
'Minecraft Dungeons' review: short but sweet dungeon crawler that struggles to live up to its name

GamesRadar+ - 7
www.gamesradar.com

Minecraft Dungeons review: "A more approachable entry point for the hack and slash genre"

Mojang's smartly streamlined dungeon crawler makes for a more accessible alternative in the action RPG space.
Even so, the block-based hacking and slashing is fun while it lasts, and no doubt addictive for some, with enough flair and polish to easily recommend it to any intrigued Minecraft player, and even those possessing no history with the franchise whatsoever. Just make sure you've brushed up on your Creeper lore before rushing headfirst into a pack of them, or you might regret the outcome.

global.techradar.com

Minecraft Dungeons review

It’s hip to be cube
Minecraft Dungeons is a neat little dungeon crawler which Minecraft fans will love, though dungeon-crawler fans shouldn't get too excited. The exploration is fun, the tone feels just right, and it's your typical 'short but sweet' fare. Combat can get a little repetitive and the game's variety blurs into chaos by the end, but we enjoyed the ride.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
GamingBible - 8
www.ladbible.com

'Minecraft Dungeons' Review: An Enchanting Adventure Delivering A Diablo-Like Twist

'Minecraft Dungeons' brings the world of Minecraft to the dungeon-crawler genre in a fun and engaging way
Minecraft Dungeons is an enchanting game that will keep you, and your kids, entertained for a good few hours. A decade on from the original game, this is an exciting move for the behemoth that is the Minecraft franchise, and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
The game will be huge and I hope they'll build on this solid base for many years.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only got the game on Wednesday so I'll need some time to get my impressions out there. Enjoying it a lot for now, it certainly doesn't have the depth or scope of Diablo or Path of Exile but... should it? It's a small project based on Minecraft and a 20 dollar game after all.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't sait to dive in Tuesday. Any informations on switch performances ? Wondering if I double dip or no

and what about the deluxe edition for 10 bucks more? Worth it ?

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
PCGamesN - 7
www.pcgamesn.com

Minecraft Dungeons review – my first Diablo

Mojang's foray into hack-and-slash is as charming as it is stripped down
All of which leaves me in a bit of a quandary when it comes to pinning a number to the end of this otherwise nuanced discussion. Soloing grownups are likely to find Dungeons unsatisfying, for the most part – though that's not to say it doesn't hit all of the right dopamine switches with its levelling and loot systems – while raid parties will probably have a grand old time, at least for a while.

And if you happen to have any pre-teen allies who are dear to you, then you'll experience the game at its most magical. If you're lucky enough to fall into the latter camp, then whack another point on the score below.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
mod edit: We do not provide a platform for SkillUp and his content here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much Minecraft and how much Diablo is this game? Is there any actual mining and building? Is the world procedurally generated (I know it is in Diablo as well, but not to the same degree)?

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I'm all for short games, but 3.5 hours is pushing it. I planned to get this to play with my son, but with the way he plays games when he likes them, I'm not sure that would be worth it unless it is very replayable.

Fair enough, but I'm totally down for single sitting gaming. Even with my favourite game of this generation, Inside, I felt it was ever so slightly on the long side. Give me far more 5 hr maximum games please, MS.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
How much Minecraft and how much Diablo is this game? Is there any actual mining and building? Is the world procedurally generated (I know it is in Diablo as well)?

No mining. No building. And yes, the world is procedurally generated (somewhat). It's a Diablo game in the Minecraft universe. Just little less depth and more geared towards a younger audience. There are many difficulty sliders to play with, to keep you engaged though.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
www.rockpapershotgun.com

Minecraft Dungeons review

A tightly designed, polished beginner's ARPG, with more than enough fun to justify the price for veteran click-stabbers…
I think, in the end, this gets to my lingering impression of Minecraft Dungeons. It's a robust piece of design that you could well consider a triumph, given just how many ways in which the concept of an ARPG based on a construction game phenomenon could have ended in disaster. And I'm confident in recommending it as worth its price to even the most jaded click-stabber, especially one with even a passing familiarity with Minecraft. But the fact it's been executed so competently leaves me wishing the developers had been a bit more reckless, frankly. A bit more experimental, in adapting its parent property to an alien genre. Because while the results might have been profoundly weird, it's weird things – like Minecraft itself was, when it first appeared – that change the landscape of gaming.

Miya Moto

Jun 4, 2018
Is it really 3.5 hours? I mean i like short games too, but 3.5 for a dungeon crawler is a hard nope for me.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I expect a lot of lower reviews because of "depth". As if complexity, zillions of stats and 1000 step skill-trees make for a great dungeon crawler.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Likely will complete it in one sitting then if 3.5hrs ish (thanks to gamepass). Though does feel weird that this is too short and Gears Tactics was too long.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Holy crap, it's only 3.5 hours long?!
I mean that's probably not even half of Act 1 in Diablo 2.
I know it's for kids but still, 3.5 hours for a loot rpg is not great to say the least.
Lego games are for kids too but they aren't only 3.5 hours long.

I have to admit I'm pretty disappointed by this. Hopefully the game gets a lot of post launch support that adds to the length.
It's always puzzled me how so few games in this genre have just a infinite randomly generated dungeon as post game content. you'd think it'd be a pretty easy thing to do, yet hardly any games have it.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
People complaining about length but I'm just happy I can Sherpa my kids through the game in an afternoon