• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you'll be able to record video while walking around the life size builds.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Beta sign ups were like a month ago I thought?

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Do those of us suckers who have already bought Minecraft on 20 types of devices get this for free? I kid, I kid. *sigh*

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that looks pretty impressive. Fell off the Minecraft hype some years ago now, used to be building a lot in the X360 era and the start of the X1 one, but this might pull me back a little bit, albeit the Pokémon GO formula is not really for me and it's probably not very ideal for small towns like mine.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Until AR snaps to world in a rock solid manner I'm really not interested. It just looks terrible to me.

I was able to do this since 2012 when I demoed this for my class and it still doesn't work any better.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
if you 'go inside' your creation when lifesize (which looks cool) - aren't you going to get hit by a bus?

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
Tried signing in for the beta, but it takes me to a page asking if I want to delete my data?

🤔

Kalamour

Oct 25, 2017
Not judging by that video, and I have to assume they'd make their promotional stuff look as good as possible.

I expected far more by now.

What they are selling here is, among other:
- the entire planet is a giant AR space where you can find objects
- any flat space can be used to start creating. Anywhere, with of course no AR marker needed.
- multiple player can interact with these creations, using different devices, in real time, while seeing each other with a good accuracy.

Did you have that in 2012? I mean the scale at which it is supposed to work is what's impressive.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
is it supposed to remember exactly where you place things in the real world? So more accurate than just a GPS tag - wonder if its storing/sending some of the AR data to the cloud so you and others can see it properly

Also giant minecraft dicks in every major city

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
is it supposed to remember exactly where you place things in the real world? So more accurate than just a GPS tag - wonder if its storing/sending some of the AR data to the cloud so you and others can see it properly

Other people (non-friends?) will only see your creations if they are approved.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Wow, that looks pretty impressive. Fell off the Minecraft hype some years ago now, used to be building a lot in the X360 era and the start of the X1 one, but this might pull me back a little bit, albeit the Pokémon GO formula is not really for me and it's probably not very ideal for small towns like mine.
Apparently, they're making it so collectables are not tied to how interesting your area is. Things can pop up anywhere and will essentially generate around you. So you don't get boring stuff just because you don't live in a city. For better or worse.

Until AR snaps to world in a rock solid manner I'm really not interested. It just looks terrible to me.

I was able to do this since 2012 when I demoed this for my class and it still doesn't work any better.
Woah what. No. You just saw 3 people interacting with the same virtual object hosted through an off site remote server that allowed them all to not only interact in the same world, but reliably enough to build blocks around each other. That's incredible. Some slight wobble doesn't detract from the fact that this actually works. We DID NOT have this back in 2012, especially not in the real world in production without specialized environments with markers.

Yea, it's using azure spatial anchors to remember and place things accurately where they are in the world. The same way HoloLens does it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently, they're making it so collectables are not tied to how interesting your area is. Things can pop up anywhere and will essentially generate around you. So you don't get boring stuff just because you don't live in a city. For better or worse.

That would be great. I wasn't into my Go but my fiancé was for a year or so. It was hilariously broken and unbalanced. Those living in big cities would get free pokeballs, nearly all creatures at their disposal, actual battles for gyms and whatnot. Meanwhile she lived on the very outside of a town next to a major road, so she'd get a whopping 2 kinds of Pokémon near her house, with no Pokéstops in sight. To get anywhere near a point of interest she would have had to take the car, so what this meant is that she either farmed those useless creatures to death or mainly played when she was away from home. If Minecraft Earth doesn't go down this route, that's automatically a win for me.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This looks incredible, this is going to be huge...as huge as the mine craft block penis's that will be all over the world.....

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
This is making me home Google adds occlusion to ARCore at some point. Apple's ARKit already has it.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
Huh. I figured this was more of a gimmick when it was announced, but this actually could be pretty neat.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Update: it's live for people who signed up in Seattle and London, and I've been testing Minecraft Earth for five days in Seattle. My thoughts:

This is the game's default loading screen, and it makes the Minecraft Earth building process look fun and magical. But in practice, building something that tall and complicated is more of a logistical pain in the butt than doing so in vanilla Minecraft.

I tested the game with an iPhone X—one of Apple's newer ARKit-compatible devices—and frequently struggled to pick up or put down objects. Walking around a table or floor inevitably led to the buildplate world glitching out or super-zooming in either direction, and this happened in recommended conditions: bright room, clear "textured" surfaces. Plus, my taps often placed objects nowhere near where I wanted them since the game made faulty guesses about 3D depth. This wasn't helped by ARKit judders shaking my perspective just enough to make the world move at the moment I tapped. There's a reason vanilla Minecraft makes players move to an exact X-Y-Z coordinate spot to place and manipulate objects, and Minecraft Earth desperately needs an equivalent.

Ars Technica only received one preview code for Minecraft Earth, so I couldn't test its multiplayer functions, which allow you to bring friends into both Build and Play modes. So long as everyone has Minecraft Earth installed on a phone in their hands, they can conceivably join each other's augmented reality sessions, all calibrated so that every smartphone is looking at the same content from the same central, real-world point. (We don't yet know if this will work in cross-platform fashion.)

This may very well be the secret sauce for Minecraft Earth fun, at least in Build mode. Assuming this works as advertised, and everyone's camera angles don't glitch out, then multiple people could spend time putting together a massive virtual tower in the same room—and applying rare items like redstones, mine carts, and switches to the whole thing. That sounds like a fun, real-world twist, as opposed to gathering around a TV, right? The catch in this case is that players don't get an unlimited canvas, à la vanilla Minecraft's "creative" mode. Everyone's personal inventory is limited in Minecraft Earth, thanks to a "tappables" economy. If you leave anything on a friend's buildplate, they get to keep it, and you lose it. Plus, I'm giving Minecraft Earth a hugebenefit of the doubt here, in terms of assuming that more players in the same instance won't lead to more device-sync glitches, on top of the ARKit and camera-angle woes I've already faced.

In good news, Mojang has opted for simplicity over intricacy, and that bodes well for the game's future. I uninstalled Harry Potter's Wizards Unite within a few days of testing that soup of confusing currencies and unclear quests. But I can see myself regularly checking in on whatever weird ideas Minecraft Earth might come up with. For all of its current failings, at least the game still understands the reason Minecraft is fun: it's what you as a player make of it, not what plot line and purpose is shoved down your throat.

Tons more at the above link.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I messed around but the game needs a better tutorial. Why am I grabbing these items? What's the point of build plates?

Also building was a little janky but... I can't place the plates anymore. The camera does the sparkling shit but it doesn't come down. Anything im missing?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Double post: I think building is a little bugged. Sometimes I can place the building plate, other times its blank. It's janky compared to PC/Console, obviously, but I honestly don't think it can ever be fixed just due to the nature of motion controls and trying to use camera data to fix virtual blocks onto the real world.

I have yet to do any coop building.

I'm also torn on the block gathering.
1. I think its way too slow right now.
2. I like the idea of exploring to gather blocks. Gives me the Pokemon Go vibes of walking around to gather them.. but it does limit the building which is the coolest aspect. But a full on creative mode would basically make the block gathering useless.

I think it could use some sort of coop features beyond manually inviting friends. Having player creations somehow appear in the world would be nice. Or perhaps something of a quest to reach the Nether or fight the Ender Dragon or something.

samred I hope we aren't the only ones on Era who have this lol

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Eurogamer says beta testers are free to post anything.

I got in too, though I don't live in either London or Seattle.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So if I build something in a certain location using the app, and someone else comes along with their phone using AR to that same location, they will automatically be able to see and interact with what I built?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I think my biggest most immediate complaint is that the map use is absolutely pointless.

Take my immediate area:

vWtKh0w.png

In Pokémon Go, there are a few spinny spot things in the area, which make it worth heading out there. In Minecraft, they've just gone and dumped a random generation of items over the whole area. The map might as well not exist, it's not using any aspect of it. There are trees in buildings there. Behind the camera is a stream on the map, but there's nothing watery in it to collect. Just more trees, rocks, cows, chickens, and chests. It doesn't feel like opening the game near a friend's house in another city will offer me any difference.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my biggest most immediate complaint is that the map use is absolutely pointless.

Take my immediate area:

vWtKh0w.png

In Pokémon Go, there are a few spinny spot things in the area, which make it worth heading out there. In Minecraft, they've just gone and dumped a random generation of items over the whole area. The map might as well not exist, it's not using any aspect of it. There are trees in buildings there. Behind the camera is a stream on the map, but there's nothing watery in it to collect. Just more trees, rocks, cows, chickens, and chests. It doesn't feel like opening the game near a friend's house in another city will offer me any difference.

I agree but I think this was a response to people complaining Pokemon Go felt useless if you didn't live in a city.

I think they can keep the randomness, but maybe skew certain blocks more in certain areas.

The main thing they need is something of a gym or pokestop system. You are correct in that you need some direction to actually GO.

Maybe certain sites will have public builds or something.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
how does it know if you live in London? I live just outside but I work in London. Hope I get an invite, just want to piss about with it really

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be cool if (maybe through an opt in opt out system) you could see other players on the map.