• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
How does this compare to the FF and DQ franchises YTD. Minecraft is a beast and seems MS might break even on there investment sooner than later.

borges

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Argentina
"Game of an industry"... It's actually the complete opposite.
An ugly, unrealistic, non-linear, non-sequelized, not free-to-play or fee-to-pay, narrative-less, cutscene-less, non-demographics-focus-tested game. Literally everything the big guys would have us believe is undesirable, all concentrated into one game. And yet, that game has gone on to outsell every other game in the history of video games.

Minecraft single-handedly defies and proves wrong every single preconceived notion of what a video game should be according to 'AAA' publishers. For that alone, it should be praised and recognized as a quintessential game and a true classic.

joke post?
who in hell believes non linear games are inherently bad?

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
When a school buys a licence does each computer it's installed on count as a sale?

AlterOdin

Nov 6, 2017
Wow!

I guess the statement "It appeals to kids (and mean every f..... kid on the planet)" applies here. Not my "cup of tea", never played, or had any desire to play it. But damn this is an impressive figure.
Kids with financial are the root of all evil in world!! (Music/Movies/Games/etc)! :) /s?

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
joke post?
who in hell believes non linear games are inherently bad?

As in "with no clear end and open-ended content", something that, outside of MMOs, isn't really that common. Even open world games aren't that great with that. Not compared to Minecraft anyway.
Did you assume I was joking based on that specific, admittedly-poorly-phrased bit? Because I was dead serious. Minecraft takes all the supposed truths of the industry and throws it away like the garbage beliefs they are.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Game of an Industry. It prefigured the early access release model, it single-handedly popularized the crafting/survival sandbox genre, it is a global cultural phenomenon, it has outsold most decades old entire franchises in just 9 years. Minecraft Steve is Mario/Sonic/Pacman for the post-millenial generation. If there were a gaming Mt Rushmore his head would absolutely have to be on it by now.

Pretty much this.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously though MS buying this IP and Mojang for 2.5B is one of the best purchases in the history of this industry. Straight up

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
To this day I have no idea what Minecraft even is. I even watched videos of it, read reviews, I still don't get it.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Never could have imagined that cute mining game I saw on Good Game in October 2010 going on to do this

Spectacular. So well deserved.

I enjoyed the game a lot more before the terrain generation update made everything a lot more flat (around beta 1.5 or so?) but it's still so good and so much fun with friends. Better Together has been amazing.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
You know you've done it when you start closing the gap on 2% of the worlds population purchasing/playing your game.

Total world domination!

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
But it was waste of money and it's stupid /s lol

Congrats to the team and MS. Well deserved.

Man, I remember when MS made the purchase. Damn.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Simply incredible. I bought the game way back in its early alpha days when Survival was just coming out and since then I've put hundreds of hours into the game. I'm still amazed at how vibrant the modding community is and I occasionally go back to do a modded playthrough.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah they earned that money back double or three times over by now.

You are severely over estimating how much minecraft does, they have almost assuredly not even made the 2.5 billion back, they sold roughly 22 million copies in 2017 since in february of 2017 they reported 122 million copies sold, assuming the distribution of platforms remained constant since 2016 easily 40% of those sales are for the mobile version which is 7$ or roughly 62 million $, but ofc there is a very good chance that apple and google are taking 30% of that, so around 43 million (very rough calculations losing a few million here and there), then lets assume the consoles see around another 40%, which at 27$ is 240 million $, console sales have to pay their dues to the console manufacturer which is roughly another 30% depending on the method of distribution so lets say they get 167 million there, then you get around 20% pc sales for around 119 million $, here they get almost the full pie (there are payment processing fees, and they are sold through stores too but what ever lets assume 100% digital), so that is a total of 330 million in game sales, if we assume they made an equal amount in merchandise (which I have no idea where they are at) that would be 660 million $ in a year, then we know that from june 2016 to february 2017 the game sold around 15 million copies, so lets say that the revenue in 2016 was around 900 million $ with merchandising, and that in roughly half a year of 2015 they made another 660 million $, that would still leave microsoft around 300 million shy of making their money back, assuming they are making as much of the merchandising as they are on game sales, assuming 2016 was around 36% better than 2017, and that the time they had minecraft in 2015 was as good as the entire 2017, and that they had no costs, and that they paid no taxes on that revenue, and that they sold every single copy at full price.

So really Microsoft hasn't made their money back even doing things way above what they are likely to be in reality, now will they do their money back eventually? Sure. Was it a good purchase? Yeah.
But to do 2 to 3 times what it paid for it, minecraft would have to be pulling profit above any other game out there, and it isn't, stuff like league of legends far surpasses it, even some annual franchises, or ofc even non annual franchises like GTA which are also pulling insane amounts of money, the place where minecraft is truly king in games is not in revenue, but in mindshare among the younger demographic, it is an absolute beast there and the true reason why microsoft bought it in the first place.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I admit, if I was ten again, I would have gone crazy over Minecraft. Also, had Microsoft not kept it multi-platform, I doubt it would have sold as much units in little time as it does now. That was the right call there.

To this day I have no idea what Minecraft even is. I even watched videos of it, read reviews, I still don't get it.
It's digital interactive Legos.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gen 8 and VR are the next steps toward #1. Curious though: does Minecraft launch on PS5? Seems like a decent game to hold back from your competitor's new platform for a little while, if not forever.

OP
OP

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They did effectively pay only 1.4 billion for Minecraft. It was overseas money that would've been subject to about 30 % taxes if they had brought it back to the US.
Well it would be 15% only now. Still money well spent and less than 2.5bn for a domestic acquisition.
How does this compare to the FF and DQ franchises YTD. Minecraft is a beast and seems MS might break even on there investment sooner than later.
FF is 130 million and DQ is 70 million.
Gen 8 and VR are the next steps toward #1. Curious though: does Minecraft launch on PS5? Seems like a decent game to hold back from your competitor's new platform for a little while, if not forever.
Most likely a "join better together and crossplay, or we won't release it"
Microsoft making money via realms is without a platform cut (unless the realm is purchased via a third party platform transaction).
So MS would love that, Sony surely not.
And most likely also not a Xbox Live / Microsoft login. But they do this Uplay and EA or Activision. Microsoft is a third party publisher in this case. You can be Partner in some areas and competitors in other.
Sonys needs to learn that.

Microsoft released Minecraft on Ps4 in China. That was probably not part of the original deal, so they're willing to still sell the game on Playstation consoles.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
You are severely over estimating how much minecraft does, they have almost assuredly not even made the 2.5 billion back, they sold roughly 22 million copies in 2017 since in february of 2017 they reported 122 million copies sold, assuming the distribution of platforms remained constant since 2016 easily 40% of those sales are for the mobile version which is 7$ or roughly 62 million $, but ofc there is a very good chance that apple and google are taking 30% of that, so around 43 million (very rough calculations losing a few million here and there), then lets assume the consoles see around another 40%, which at 27$ is 240 million $, console sales have to pay their dues to the console manufacturer which is roughly another 30% depending on the method of distribution so lets say they get 167 million there, then you get around 20% pc sales for around 119 million $, here they get almost the full pie (there are payment processing fees, and they are sold through stores too but what ever lets assume 100% digital), so that is a total of 330 million in game sales, if we assume they made an equal amount in merchandise (which I have no idea where they are at) that would be 660 million $ in a year, then we know that from june 2016 to february 2017 the game sold around 15 million copies, so lets say that the revenue in 2016 was around 900 million $ with merchandising, and that in roughly half a year of 2015 they made another 660 million $, that would still leave microsoft around 300 million shy of making their money back, assuming they are making as much of the merchandising as they are on game sales, assuming 2016 was around 36% better than 2017, and that the time they had minecraft in 2015 was as good as the entire 2017, and that they had no costs, and that they paid no taxes on that revenue, and that they sold every single copy at full price.

So really Microsoft hasn't made their money back even doing things way above what they are likely to be in reality, now will they do their money back eventually? Sure. Was it a good purchase? Yeah.
But to do 2 to 3 times what it paid for it, minecraft would have to be pulling profit above any other game out there, and it isn't, stuff like league of legends far surpasses it, even some annual franchises, or ofc even non annual franchises like GTA which are also pulling insane amounts of money, the place where minecraft is truly king in games is not in revenue, but in mindshare among the younger demographic, it is an absolute beast there and the true reason why microsoft bought it in the first place.
Minecraft had sold 50 million copies when MS bought mojang. It's now sold 144 million copies. Since acquisition MC has sold 94 million copies. 94 million in 3 and a half years. Your not counting skin packs and add ons, merchandise, Minecraft education and also it being a free to play game in China with 20 million users. It's not made 6 billion dollars of course but I think your underestimating how successful it's been for them

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft easily seeks more merchandise than any other game outside of Pokemon

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if MS makes as much or more off of Minecraft merchandise as they do the game itself

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is probably a big part of it (along with the Xbox One X update and Better Together). I think they're going to run into a problem though where everyone owns the game on all platforms in a few years and they'll need to add new platforms to continue selling and growing Minecraft's userbase.
People say this about GTA all the time too

"How does it keep selling?? Who doesn't own it by now??"

It's not like 17-18 year olds aren't "born" every day haha. Same thing with Minecraft. There's always going to be children who are finally old enough to play Minecraft just like there will always be someone turning 17/18 to buy GTA

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017

It will release on PS5 guaranteed. Whether or not in will be with interconnected with the other versions or it's own thing is the real question.

Microsoft would be insane to not release it on every feasible platform until the money starts to dry up.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will release on PS5 guaranteed. Whether or not in will be with interconnected with the other versions or it's own thing is the real question.

Microsoft would be insane to not release it on every feasible platform until the money starts to dry up.

If PS5 maintains the PS4 momentum, I agree. But a new gen is a fresh start, why give your main competitor one of your biggest titles before you know which platform is the most popular/dominant?

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I think VR is the next road for Minecraft. Prob not this gen of VR, but when the headsets become more attractive to a larger audience.

Microsoft already ported Minecraft to GearVR and Oculus Rift and they're very good ports. Within a month or two that Gear VR version will be playable on a standalone $200 headset.