• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Welcome to Alex Battaglia's Panopticon of Path Tracing! With an able assist from John Linneman, we embark on a journey through the newly ray traced world of Minecraft. How accurate is the path tracing implementation and how much power do you need to run it - there's not RTX acceleration on this one!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This looks amazing. Though they mention that this is through a software solution & had to be run at 720p/30fps on even a powerful GPU. So I'd imagine that games that capitalize on dedicated ray-tracing cores would be more efficient, right?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I had a great time running through this with Alex. This is one of the only times either of us have played Minecraft too.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
So is this the kind of stuff Sony and MS want to be able to tout doing? Can't be, right? Probably something in a much more limited fashion?

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Watching now, it's beautiful.

Is this just normal minecraft with path tracing and no new shaders or textures?
The shader is the path tracer, it's called ptgi, path-traced global illumination. It also does ray traced shadows and reflections. You can use whatever textures you want, though it works best with texture packs that take advantage of specular and normal maps.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Still watching and laughed out loud at times when Alex was showing John around his creations. Very reminiscent of how a realtor shows around prospective clients XD

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap this looks utterly fantastic. I love how they've created little rooms to show off the Raytracing and both using different rigs in the same game. Phenomenal demonstration.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
this is probably the most impressive showcase of raytracing, and how it affects the look of a game.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Full path tracing is where it's at. Proper lighting goes suuuch a long way, seriously.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
lol was that the Mass Effect death music I heard when that cow died?

this is probably the most impressive showcase of raytracing, and how it affects the look of a game.

Yep. This was a brilliant demo that shows that raytracing will be far more than reflections on shiny surfaces. It can drastically change how games will look.

This is why it will be the defining feature of next gen.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To see guys like John being speechless is incredible.

He was right, it reminds me a lot of the Half Life 2 demo.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
John and I had so much fun making this video, and I had an absolute blast making the demo level after I figured out how to get the mod working (which is not exactly straight forward by the way!).

Other than the SEUS PTGI mod itself we used the "default + improve + 1.12" txture mod to add some specularity in there - but that is it.

If anyone would like a link to the level to check it out for themselves, I could post that too!

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
What a great informative video. Ray Tracing really adds a lot to the graphical fidelity of a game. Hope it doesn't take too long until Ray Tracing is widely used.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
So right.
Good bounce lighting makes everything so much better.
If people start coding Ray Tracing into older games replaying them will be glorious.
Hell yes. And I'd definitely replay some of the older classics with full path tracing. To revisit old familiar places with proper lighting & a new shine, oh how glorious it will be.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
This is the definitive showcase of ray tracing. A fantastic presentation that truly gets to the root of what makes ray tracing so special. Thanks so much for this demo, guys.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I remember when Sonic Ether first started this project years ago. SurprisedMS hasn't snatched him up haha. They guy is incredible, and also has similar assets for Unity.

Thanks for the video!

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Raytracing is incredible, but good lord is it power hungry. Incidentally I'm extremely suspect of any of these 'ray-tracing on PS5/Anaconda claims'. It'll be supported sure, there'll be solutions yup. Will it be common? Eh.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Raytracing and the new cpu power that nextgen consoles get is the first time im hyped for nextgen consoles.
Hopefully we will see a lot more cpu taxing stuff and better lightning in future games.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
John and I had so much fun making this video, and I had an absolute blast making the demo level after I figured out how to get the mod working (which is not exactly straight forward by the way!).

Other than the SEUS PTGI mod itself we used the "default + improve + 1.12" txture mod to add some specularity in there - but that is it.

If anyone would like a link to the level to check it out for themselves, I could post that too!

Yes please do link the level.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Raytracing is incredible, but good lord is it power hungry. Incidentally I'm extremely suspect of any of these 'ray-tracing on PS5/Anaconda claims'. It'll be supported sure, there'll be solutions yup. Will it be common? Eh.

For indie games with low poly assets and such, it will be a boon. I can see it making highly stylized games like SuperHOT look incredible. For AAA games obviously it's a no-go unless you like your framerates in the single digits.

It's interesting how raytracing and VR are two techs that finally makes the future exciting. I felt like games had hit a ceiling with realism, or rather were realistic enough for me that I didn't much care about them being more so. But the possibility of high-resolution VR games with raytracing in the (probably far) future gives me something to look forward to, hopefully within my lifetime. :D

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
with the PS5 and Xbox 2 out next year, we'll see RT on consoles as soon as E3 next year
Would be awesome if that were the case. I could imagine both Halo Infinite and Horizon Zero Dawn 2 using this tech. Horizon's lightning already looked great, and now imagine what an uprgrade ray tracing would be...

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the video, very fascinating to have it broken down like this! Since 30fps is below my G-Sync range though I don't think I'll buy access to the pre-release shaders with my GTX 1070.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
For indie games with low poly assets and such, it will be a boon. I can see it making highly stylized games like SuperHOT look incredible. For AAA games obviously it's a no-go unless you like your framerates in the single digits.

It's interesting how raytracing and VR are two techs that finally makes the future exciting. I felt like games had hit a ceiling with realism, or rather were realistic enough for me that I didn't much care about them being more so. But the possibility of high-resolution VR games with raytracing in the (probably far) future gives me something to look forward to, hopefully within my lifetime. :D
Yeah, fair point. Technically we even had a few console games with crude ray-tracing solutions this generation, including The Tomorrow Children and upcoming Dreams.