• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Was just talking about this with a friend of mine, that's too bad. Would love to see realistic lighting and water effects on console MC. I know none of that was confirmed but it would be cool still.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's too bad, but not a surprise given how little they had mentioned it since they first showed it two years ago. At least mods have it covered on pc

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
I'm really surprised they couldn't find a way/compromise to make it work, and it took 2 years to give up.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll have to rely on Optifine shaders forever :/

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
For those on PC, things like high resolution texture packs and ray tracing mods have for you covered.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously the console versions would have never come as close to what's possible on a high end PC these days, but MC has had fanmade lighting/texture packs for years that look light years ahead of vanilla, so it's kinda crazy that they couldn't come up with something that runs ok. I'm sure they have their reasons though.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huge bummer, I was really looking forward to this. I mean there's mods on PC for ray tracing and all, but an official platform agnostic graphics upgrade would have been lovely.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I mean it says in the link.

Of-course, that's obvious. I read that.
I just don't recall there being a public update on the pack for quite sometime. The last thing I remember hearing is that the Bedrock engine was being rewritten and that it's been silent since, but I could be mistaken.
I'm just curious to know about where they got with it before they cancelled it, and how it performed on their target platforms. The technical workings of games are facinating to me which is why I'm curious about what happened.

Minecraft developer here. The Graphics Team is still hard at work on this (it ended up being a ton more work than initially anticipated). The graphics part of our engine was quite honestly simply not built for this, and when we tried to put all the new features in piece by piece things went bad. Performance, even on the Xbox One X, was between bad and inconsistent during all the internal play sessions we had.
It will come, but we don't have a date yet. The gameplay team has been hard at work on the Update Aquatic, while the rest of the Engine team has been working on the Switch release alongside fixing performance issues on Xbox One. Those fixes are much closer than Super Duper :)

Edit - Clearer post.

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two things, 1: the all caps title is unnecessary and 2: im really dissapointed. I was looking forward to this for a long time. It was going to be the thing that got me back into minecraft and it looked awesome. I would love to know what happened behind the scenes here though

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Not surprised but a bit disappointed nonetheless. While Optifine does a great job at already providing most of what the pack was trying to do (with resource packs doing the other part of providing 3D models for what previously were just flat 2D surfaces), I would have loved to see it implemented in something as solid as the Bedrock Codebase.

I admit this makes me a bit pessimistic about the official mod API for Bedrock they talked about.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Unfortunate, i suppose. Minecraft has shot back up in popularity again recently. A ton of people are streaming it again and it's shooting back up on digital sales charts so I'm guessing the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
They had 2 years and the backing of a corporation worth almost a trillion dollars and they couldn't make Minecraft look better. I don't even know what to say.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
That's a pretty weak statement from them. They gave up and they're not even trying to go around that.

I don't know i think its pretty bluntly honest which is refreshing for a change. It was just too hard to do. Too ambitious given the platforms they develop for. They know Optifine exists for Java so if you want that you have a platform to use it with. They didnt need to go into great detail on why it didn't work out which is fine. It just isn't happening.

Edit - honestly I'm ok with it. Part of the charm of the game for me is how it currently looks. It just works. I understand though how some want more realism.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
"and looking into other ways for you to experience Minecraft with a new look. "

Ah...I get it. You'll need to buy a Scarlett or use Xcloud to get this.

Outside of delivering Gears 5 and Ori 2, looks like this gen is a wrap in the Xbox labs. Everything else of significance is on next gen and Xcloud. Falls in line with the backwards compatibility team.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks, the PC graphics mods have been crazy impressive.

I have to wonder why they didn't just release it for X/Pro/PC though. There was only so much they could achieve on Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm completely ready for Minecraft 2. It seems a lot of development is held back by java support.

Like, minecraft dungeons looks visually amazing. That's what I want minecraft to look like.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Ah...I get it. You'll need to buy a Scarlett or use Xcloud to get this.

Outside of delivering Gears 5 and Ori 2, looks like this gen is a wrap in the Xbox labs. Everything else of significance is on next gen and Xcloud. Falls in line with the backwards compatibility team.
Funny you missed Minecraft Dungeons. :P