• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
There goes the sole reason I bought the Win10 version. Oh well at least it only cost me like ¢50.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
That's disappointing.

I'm not a huge Minecraft fan, but I did pick it up for the X (on sale) in anticipation for how good it would look later.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Nvidia is clever and builds RTX and high resolution textures in it, like those fan mods. Minecraft looks unbelievable with them.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honestly not surprised that people would use this news to spit their hate fueled by console war but it's very funny to see people getting so angry over a Minecraft texture pack

anyway I was already not expecting it to ever release with how long has it been since the Bedrock edition released. It'd probably have been for Xbox One X only which wouldn't have been useful for me in any case.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this alongside the Better Together Update is kinda what grabbed my attention back then and get into Minecraft after abandoning it for years.

Really disappointed that they outright cancelled it, especially after last year where they mentioned having to rework the entire graphics pipeline to accommodate it. It really seemed that they worked hard to make it work. I really would've liked to at least see the texture pack without the fancy lighting effects released; or at least some of the visual element touches they wanted to introduce, like the edge highlight on blocks.

Oh well. Maybe next gen they can come back to this concept and get it working. I still think some signficant visual upgrades and overhauls would do the game some good.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They already used it when promoting the Xbox One X. Now that it is so late, they probably figure they are better off using it to promote the Scarlett.

Timexy

Oct 30, 2017
The way it's written seems to suggest the problem was that they couldn't make it run on whatever low spec platform they're still supporting and it was a situation of either every platform gets it or none gets it.

Whatever may have been the case I'd love to read about it, but if that is really the reason then they won't talk publicly about it because it would end up in drama / platform wars and it's a worse situation than just canceling.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
That's too bad but won't be surprised it'll get re announced as Scarlett exclusive with RT feature.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
If this is just a graphics update, and it's not working across devices, I am wondering if they could have just released it as an XBX/PC exclusive feature?

Maybe it would be too difficult to support two separate styles of graphics in one code base, but in theory, it would be a nice perk to playing Minecraft on a Windows device without compromising the multi-platform nature of the series.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Probably easier to implement a ray tracing update at this point. The lighting was the biggest standout from that pack.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
If this is just a graphics update, and it's not working across devices, I am wondering if they could have just released it as an XBX/PC exclusive feature?

Maybe it would be too difficult to support two separate styles of graphics in one code base, but in theory, it would be a nice perk to playing Minecraft on a Windows device without compromising the multi-platform nature of the series.

Honestly, I'm anticipating Minecraft 2 for next gen Xbox and windows 10. At some point in development they probably felt it was basically a hop and a skip from building a whole new game considering how old some of the stuff is, and they switched gears