• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Don't worry, they'll do it for next generation and charge us again to give us better graphics.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Funny you missed Minecraft Dungeons. :P

I did. My bad. But that's meant to run on everything regardless.

My point is that they've gone all in on next gen. It's like when a sports team is no longer in the playoff hunt at the trade deadline and gives away all their proven talent for draft picks and prospects. I think it's the right strategy honestly.

Don't worry, they'll do it for next generation and charge us again to give us better graphics.

Actually Microsoft has been very fair in this area. Xbox gamers have already received free enhancements to a lot of older games.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
So you're telling me that Mojang/MS couldn't get a feature that was implemented by modders since 2012? This screams of bullshit to me.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Pok%C3%A9mon-Sword-and-Shield-Team-Yell-Grunt-2.png

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
So you're telling me that Mojang/MS couldn't get a feature that was implemented by modders since 2012? This screams of bullshit to me.

Random guess, they tried to get it working on Switch/Mobile and couldn't do it so abandoned to the whole thing, which is a bit silly.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Random guess, they tried to get it working on Switch/Mobile and couldn't do it so abandoned to the whole thing, which is a bit silly.

The last update they gave said that they couldn't get it running on Xbox One X, I don't think they even got to Switch and Mobile

Oct 26, 2017

One thing is PC and another thing is PC + Mobile + NSW + Xbox One + PS4.

You should read the blogpost:

We realise this is disappointing to some of you – there was a lot of enthusiasm for Super Duper from inside and outside the studio – but unfortunately, we aren't happy with how the pack performed across devices

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds likely. Though if modders can get shaders running in fucking JAVA I don't know why they couldn't get it running on anything else.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had been waiting patiently for this, but I suppose the lack of press after the initial announcement should have been a red flag.

This is just another in a long line of Microsoft fumbles that absolutely baffles me. I don't know why it is proving so difficult for them to announce something, then actually get competent teams to follow through.

I hope they don't mismanage all their recent acquisitions into the ground.

Fortunately, they have been making lots of awesome moves in other parts of their business, so I am somewhat cooled on this.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
this post smh...

OT: Im glad they didnt put out a subpar product. Looking forward to the tease in the announcement. Hopefully RT.

I wonder if a sequel to Minecraft will happen in the next 5 years, or will they just continue to update it?
I know it's an entirely different game but World of Warcraft has been running for almost 15 years now and has received various different expansions and countless updates, it has even had graphical improvements over the years.

Will Minecraft follow the same path, or will there be a new game that significantly pushes the technical capabilities of the game further? I suppose a Minecraft successor could be a strong selling point of a next generation Xbox.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This is a bummer, my daughter and I had been looking forward to it since we saw it at E3.

She's probably forgotten all about it though.

May 18, 2018
Obviously the console versions would have never come as close to what's possible on a high end PC these days, but MC has had fanmade lighting/texture packs for years that look light years ahead of vanilla, so it's kinda crazy that they couldn't come up with something that runs ok. I'm sure they have their reasons though.

My guess is something to do with MS next gen console and raytracing. Exclusive to MS and PC more than likely.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Man, bummer.

I wonder if the X couldn't run it or if there's something else like engine problems.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if a sequel to Minecraft will happen in the next 5 years, or will they just continue to update it?
I know it's an entirely different game but World of Warcraft has been running for almost 15 years now and has received various different expansions and countless updates, it has even had graphical improvements over the years.

Will Minecraft follow the same path, or will there be a new game that significantly pushes the technical capabilities of the game further? I suppose a Minecraft successor could be a strong selling point of a next generation Xbox.

I hope they do a sequel. Dump everything that was built off of java and work on making their engine more scalable.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018

It was meant to be running on Switch and Mobile devices as well. That's where things would have got complicated.

There are millions of Android configurations, so it's inevitable that there are going to be issues.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what their game plan is for Minecraft going forward. They can't have another generation of ugly ass textures and lighting.

They need a sequel if they can't put lipstick on this pig, or they need to split the Xbox 4 edition from cellphones.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Sounds likely. Though if modders can get shaders running in fucking JAVA I don't know why they couldn't get it running on anything else.
Welcome to feature parity. If we're playing the same game, your feelings might get hurt if your game looks worse than mine.

I guess.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Mojang kind of gives me Game Freak vibes. Lots of bad decision making that leads to technical bottlenecks.

They need to invest in cloud streaming for mobile devices or something, because this bottleneck is nuts.

The Xbox One should not be held back graphically by feature parity with dinky android phones.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I couldn't possibly be further removed from Minecraft but wasn't this update going to launch on every platform that the game is available on? If so, I think it's pretty easy to snuff out the prohibiting factors here...
Was this ever confirmed? I thought the "Super Duper Graphics Pack" was only ever stated to be a Win 10 and One X thing.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Was this ever confirmed? I thought the "Super Duper Graphics Pack" was only ever stated to be a Win 10 and One X thing.

There were two updates.

They were updating the lighting engine to look better (the sunset in the trailer).

And they were releasing a texture pack with 4K textures for the One X (look at the grain textures, for example).

Both were canceled.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I don't know what their game plan is for Minecraft going forward. They can't have another generation of ugly ass textures and lighting.

They need a sequel if they can't put lipstick on this pig, or they need to split the Xbox 4 edition from cellphones.
They can do just fine with the same graphics.
Minecraft has never looked good ever. Graphics have not and never will be the draw of the game and the recent resurgence in sales charts shows people like it just fine all these years later.

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Don't hurt yourself with that reach

Let's not make fun of someone for calling the kettle black. Microsoft pushed this thing, they used it to try and leverage Sony into allowing cross-play, they said the X would be the best place for Minecraft, and now they can't even be bothered to release the texture pack, they just abandoned the whole project.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Let's not make fun of someone for calling the kettle black. Microsoft pushed this thing, they used it to try and leverage Sony into allowing cross-play, they said the X would be the best place for Minecraft, and now they can't even be bothered to release the texture pack, they just abandoned the whole project.
I forgot they tried to hardball Sony with that. Lol what a disaster.

Oct 26, 2017
I have the feeling they feared people mocking the Xbox because it would struggle to run Minecraft (even if itsn't really that surprising if you push textures and shaders).

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
They can do just fine with the same graphics.
Minecraft has never looked good ever. Graphics have not and never will be the draw of the game and the recent resurgence in sales charts shows people like it just fine all these years later.

It's resurging because of Java Edition. All of the streamers are using Java Edition.

Java Edition is great. It has mods, ray tracing, unlimited texture packs, etc.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It's resurging because of Java Edition. All of the streamers are using Java Edition.

Java Edition is great. It has mods, ray tracing, unlimited texture packs, etc.

Streamers use Java edition, yes, but Minecraft shooting up console sales charts show that it's not just the Java edition that is selling. Quite the contrary

This isn't me saying they shouldn't improve the textures on One X or Scarlett or whatever. They should add some visual flair but I don't think it needs to be as big a deal as what was initially planned. An upgraded texture pack would be fine

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
User Warned: Inflammatory Posting
So lying is the verbiage we are going with? Crazy to think Sony or Nintendo never once announced something that didn't come to be..... Oh wait

We didn't see one single solitary goddamned thing of this beyond the announcement trailer. For all we know it was just a bluff to flex the Xbonks. Same exact shit they did with Phantom Dust.

Microsoft made their own bed by over promising and not delivering again and again and again. This entire generation has been a smoky dumpster fire for them, and that's coming from someone who holds the OG and 360 as two of their favorite consoles of all time. They fucking lied with smoke and mirrors and Phil's half-hearted smiley t-shirt bullshit like e v e r y o t h e r t i m e . It's straight up lying at this point until they actually deliver on something and it's good.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Java Edition aka true Minecraft wins again.

Curious as to why they simply ceased development because it didn't run well in all systems. I don't think many would have complained if it was only available in PC and the upgraded consoles.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

The bedrock project is WAY more than a texture pack. And cross play was the touted benefit of moving everyone to the same code base.
They've delivered on that front.