• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Media Create:
09./06. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 27.140 / 506.909 (-44%)

Famitsu:
07./06. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 32.294 / 525.045 <80-100%> (-37%)

Why this matters:
  • This was the best selling third party game for Switch in Japan for 2018.
  • The sales listed are retail, we don't know eShop sales data so it could be closer to a million.
  • This is from Microsoft so it is currently their best selling game in Japan on consoles ever.
  • The best selling third party game for Switch in 2018 is from a western studio.
Yes, Switch got three 2 million sellers in 2018: Splatoon 2, Smash Bros. Ultimate and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe but, when you hear that Nintendo's best third party support in Japan is from Microsoft, that makes you wonder about the rest of the third party support for Switch in Japan.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like a lot of console/handheld games can't sell over 500,000 units, except for a few exceptions.

Minecraft is probably the most successful Western franchise of this decade in Japan. Though, I'm not sure how big is Fortnite there.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It most certainly is closer to a million, I'm sure it didn't sell negative digitally 😏

Good result for the game. Still don't understand it myself.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
Hope you're all ready for Minecraft Steve in Smash, lol.

It's definite correct to add Steve, but it's definitely incorrect to not add BK first, which has me wonder whether they're going to save MS for the final dlc pack and do a surprise secret two in one where you get Banjo Kazooie and Steve together*

*Though it should be three in one as Joanna Dark REALLY should be there too.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I mean, I get your point, but launch aligned Japanese 3rd support is equal to/outpacing PS4 support at the same time, Japanese pubs/devs are always late.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Just the idea that Minecraft on Nintendo Switch is Microsoft's best selling console game ever is just weird.

Once you get over how odd all those things combined sound, it makes a lot of sense. But at first it sounds like someone threw a bunch of darts at a video game dart board.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just the idea that Minecraft on Nintendo Switch is Microsoft's best selling console game ever is just weird.

Once you get over how odd all those things combined sound, it makes a lot of sense. But at first it sounds like someone threw a bunch of darts at a video game dart board.

it was not made by microsoft for starters(they dont have internal big games for younger demographics), also is a game suited for kids (nintendo hardware), but microsoft does have the means to support and promote the game in ways that indie developers cant. Its also not a shooter or western focused game, its for everyone, everywhere, therefore also a hit in japan

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure it's by far the best-selling Vita game too in Japan. First and third party. It probably outsold the top 5 Sony first party games for the Vita in Japan. Or rather the 5 behind it since I think Sony published it there.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
That Steve in Smash announcement is only gonna surprise people with their heads in the sand.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Minecraft is also the best selling global PS Vita title too. Also the only Vita million seller