• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alexem

Oct 27, 2017
Essex, UK
I'm always dubious of trains. While I won't necessarily object to voting on a going cause come day end - unless it clearly reads as town vs. town to me - they just leave a bad taste in my mouth in most cases.

empressdonna

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland, United Kingdom
==== DAY 1 VOTES ====
Day Start

Ketkat (2 votes)
Maolfunction - #80
TheChuggernaut - #338

Fantomas (2 votes)
turmoil7 - #335
Soneji - #336

TheChuggernaut (2 votes)
Stantastic - #134
turmoil7 - #211 #305
Funky Dude Sparks - #212 #226
언이라브 - #275

Alexem (1 votes)
Verelios - #75
turmoil7 - #305 #335

Soneji (1 votes)
Alexem - #162

exodus (1 votes)
Fantomas - #230

Reki (0 votes)
turmoil7 - #182 #211
TheChuggernaut - #228 #262

Stantastic (0 votes)
TheChuggernaut - #54 #228
turmoil7 - #87 #103

Verelios (0 votes)
Fantomas - #47 #108

Funky Dude Sparks (0 votes)
turmoil7 - #103 #182
Fantomas - #108 #230

언이라브 (0 votes)
turmoil7 - #61 #87

Not voting: Reki, Ketkat, Funky Dude Sparks, exodus

Post Counts:
TheChuggernaut: 50 Fantomas: 50 Stantastic: 35 turmoil7: 29 Funky Dude Sparks: 27 Verelios: 27 Alexem: 23 언이라브: 15 Maolfunction: 14 exodus: 9 Reki: 8 Ketkat: 8 Soneji: 4

Current Countdown:
fo6me2pdoo

Click here to go to the Vote Tool!

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Alexem

In a hypothetical situation where ketkat, Fantomas and chuggernaut are tied at day end, who would you vote for?

Alexem

Oct 27, 2017
Essex, UK
In a hypothetical situation where ketkat, Fantomas and chuggernaut are tied at day end, who would you vote for?
Out of those three, I would say Ketkat. I would have felt better if she had been more involved - she's certainly had her say, but I haven't got as much of an impression of her as I have the others. If she is scum - and I'll qualify that with an if, as I'm talking hypotheticals here - then she could use the Chuggs/Fanto argument as convenient cover.

That said, there is an option I would like to keep open:
VOTE: exodus
We've had bursts of comment from exodus, but it's largely been fluff and the odd comment on Chuggs. I can't really pin him down on anything in particular beyond that.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
For as much talk as there has been of your playstyle and tunneling you have done barely any scumhunting this phase and just been commenting on general things.
Are you another player who likes to earn town cred by insisting that any meaningful scum hunting can be done on D1? Because I don't particularly care to rehash all of Death Stranding D1 again to reiterate the point that town is most likely to kill town on any given D1 and that I'd much prefer to get rid of someone who's not participating much so they don't become baggage later on. At this point that'd be someone like Exodus, we've got absolutely nothing out of him so far other than the fact he's played a game with scum Chuggs once. Brian hasn't done much either other than tunnel Chuggs a bit, but that appears to be clueless townie to me who wants to engage but isn't familiar with players here yet.

I don't want to. get rid of Fanto right now and will not be voting him D1. The downside to playing like a shotgun is that it becomes increasingly difficult to keep all your holes consistent if you're scum. If Fanto is scum, he'll be easy to pick out eventually. He posts too much to keep all his stories straight if he turns out to be scum. And I'd rather not kill a player that does a good job of keeping the game rolling so early.

That all being said Vote: exodus

I'll be around til EoD, so if things happen, that'll change, but I'm comfortable with this til EoD as things stand.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are you another player who likes to earn town cred by insisting that any meaningful scum hunting can be done on D1? Because I don't particularly care to rehash all of Death Stranding D1 again to reiterate the point that town is most likely to kill town on any given D1 and that I'd much prefer to get rid of someone who's not participating much so they don't become baggage later on. At this point that'd be someone like Exodus, we've got absolutely nothing out of him so far other than the fact he's played a game with scum Chuggs once. Brian hasn't done much either other than tunnel Chuggs a bit, but that appears to be clueless townie to me who wants to engage but isn't familiar with players here yet.
I'm a player whose experienced enough to know that d1 can be extremely important to a game, even if and maybe even more so if the d1 lynch is a townie. Giving up on it as a lost cause and not generating the reactions to be looked at in later phases is highly detrimental. I do my best work as town on d2, largely because d1 in retrospect is so insightful, as everyone's still settling into the game and are thus at their most vulnerable.

Exodus behavior regarding Chuggs was odd so that's not a total low activity kind of vote. I don't base my votes on activity even on d1 though, all I care about is who my top suspect is. If they happened to be an active player who flips town, then the only difference between them and a lower activity townie who could have been lynched instead is that a rook/bishop has been lost instead of a pawn. The next move is to look over the board and see how the pieces moved in response, to find your advantage.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of trouble pinning people down day 1. That being said, Brian and Maolfunction are giving me scum vibes. Not liking Brian hopping on the to the Chugg train, and Maol's reasoning for his day 1 vote just feels like an excuse to vote for a townie.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a player whose experienced enough to know that d1 can be extremely important to a game, even if and maybe even more so if the d1 lynch is a townie. Giving up on it as a lost cause and not generating the reactions to be looked at in later phases is highly detrimental. I do my best work as town on d2, largely because d1 in retrospect is so insightful, as everyone's still settling into the game and are thus at their most vulnerable.

Exodus behavior regarding Chuggs was odd so that's not a total low activity kind of vote. I don't base my votes on activity even on d1 though, all I care about is who my top suspect is. If they happened to be an active player who flips town, then the only difference between them and a lower activity townie who could have been lynched instead is that a rook/bishop has been lost instead of a pawn. The next move is to look over the board and see how the pieces moved in response, to find your advantage.
So yes, you do like to earn town cred by looking busy while rolling the dice on D1. D1 is important later on the game, I agree with you there, but only after scum have flipped and we can look at their D1 interactions and votes, but for town on D1 you're only going to really get scum either by being lucky or they commit some sort of egregious slip.

Do you actually play chess? Because losing a rook/bishop immediately instead of a pawn is absolutely horrible for your chances of winning. I would absolutely rather to lose a pawn right now. You can't act like you're sacrificing a high value piece to expose a weakness on the opposing side when you're playing completely blind.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So yes, you do like to earn town cred by looking busy while rolling the dice on D1. D1 is important later on the game, I agree with you there, but only after scum have flipped and we can look at their D1 interactions and votes, but for town on D1 you're only going to really get scum either by being lucky or they commit some sort of egregious slip.

Do you actually play chess? Because losing a rook/bishop immediately instead of a pawn is absolutely horrible for your chances of winning. I would absolutely rather to lose a pawn right now. You can't act like you're sacrificing a high value piece to expose a weakness on the opposing side when you're playing completely blind.
I interact and hunt on d1 to the best of my abilities as I do any other phase, if that's labeled as "trying to earn town cred" rather than just playing the game as a town should then okay. No scum has to flip to look back on their behavior d1 and catch them, I have caught scum many times just off their d1 posting by going back d2 and rereading d1 without any scum flips.

The beauty of both American football and mafia is that they can be viewed like chess but they have so many more variables to them that makes them less rigid. So yes, losing a strong piece early in actual chess is absolutely terrible and hard to recover from, it's not nearly so impactful in mafia especially in big games. You can lose a player that has the skill equivalent of a queen in most games d1 and still go on to win handily, because so many other players can be on or near that level, and through collaboration overcome any early deficit. So I'm not afraid to lynch a big name/active player early.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Just got caught up but I only have like 5 minutes right now.

Still fine with my vote but I'm open to moving it still, I should have more time on my lunch break to chat.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I interact and hunt on d1 to the best of my abilities as I do any other phase, if that's labeled as "trying to earn town cred" rather than just playing the game as a town should then okay. No scum has to flip to look back on their behavior d1 and catch them, I have caught scum many times just off their d1 posting by going back d2 and rereading d1 without any scum flips.

The beauty of both American football and mafia is that they can be viewed like chess but they have so many more variables to them that makes them less rigid. So yes, losing a strong piece early in actual chess is absolutely terrible and hard to recover from, it's not nearly so impactful in mafia especially in big games. You can lose a player that has the skill equivalent of a queen in most games d1 and still go on to win handily, because so many other players can be on or near that level, and through collaboration overcome any early deficit. So I'm not afraid to lynch a big name/active player early.
Well aren't you a psychic duck.

And sure, in big games it might not be as big a deal. This is a small 13 player game though, losing a high value piece is absolutely a bigger loss considering. It's obvious though you have more of a gambler's mindset than I do when it comes to mafia, though you like to couch it with fluff like there's any strategy involved, and you're completely ignoring that your recklessness in regards to getting rid of high activity players has different levels of consequence in a small game like this. You are actively pushing to get rid of players that will pull more information from other players as a result of their activity levels, and more information of any sort is critical in small games.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
you have voted more than anyone else this day phase, are most of these pressure votes for inactivity, or votes based on activity that you don't like?
Well, yes

I've been fairly bored, but look, so far almost everyone has a vote down, that doesn't happen every D1 so I think it's doing something

VOTE:Ketkat

OP
OP
Stuart444

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
==== DAY 1 VOTES ====
Day Start

exodus (3 votes)
Fantomas - #230
Alexem - #357
Maolfunction - #358

Ketkat (2 votes)
Maolfunction - #80 #358
TheChuggernaut - #338
turmoil7 - #373

TheChuggernaut (2 votes)
Stantastic - #134
turmoil7 - #211 #305
Funky Dude Sparks - #212 #226
언이라브 - #275

Fantomas (1 votes)
turmoil7 - #335 #373
Soneji - #336

Alexem (1 votes)
Verelios - #75
turmoil7 - #305 #335

Reki (0 votes)
turmoil7 - #182 #211
TheChuggernaut - #228 #262

Stantastic (0 votes)
TheChuggernaut - #54 #228
turmoil7 - #87 #103

Soneji (0 votes)
Alexem - #162 #357

Verelios (0 votes)
Fantomas - #47 #108

Funky Dude Sparks (0 votes)
turmoil7 - #103 #182
Fantomas - #108 #230

언이라브 (0 votes)
turmoil7 - #61 #87

Not voting: Reki, Ketkat, Zippedpinhead, exodus

Post Counts:
TheChuggernaut: 52 Fantomas: 52 Stantastic: 35 turmoil7: 33 Funky Dude Sparks: 27 Verelios: 27 Alexem: 24 Maolfunction: 17 언이라브: 15 exodus: 10 Reki: 8 Ketkat: 8 Soneji: 7 Zippedpinhead: 4

Current Countdown:
fo6me2pdoo

Click here to go to the Vote Tool!

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
It's also ironic that I'm arguing with the second lowest post count player in the game right now (only followed by Zipped who literally just replaced in) about the value of low post count players to town.

Not very surprised that his position is to protect low activity players.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well aren't you a psychic duck.

And sure, in big games it might not be as big a deal. This is a small 13 player game though, losing a high value piece is absolutely a bigger loss considering. It's obvious though you have more of a gambler's mindset than I do when it comes to mafia, though you like to couch it with fluff like there's any strategy involved, and you're completely ignoring that your recklessness in regards to getting rid of high activity players has different levels of consequence in a small game like this. You are actively pushing to get rid of players that will pull more information from other players as a result of their activity levels, and more information of any sort is critical in small games.
My mindset is based on going all in on what can solve the game to me, which is always going after the people I think the most suspect regardless of activity level for them. Activity itself is a factor in considering who is most suspicious, but it's middling at best in importance especially early on. My #1 priority is to scumhunt, not preserve people's lives.

I'm very much in the minority in this mindset, I have no delusions otherwise. Until I played on MU I pretty much didn't even acknowledge town reads or give them active thought in my own head which is baffling to a lot of players. They form town cores and lynch outside those, I just had varying degrees of scum. I have adapted but my mindset is still very honed in towards accurately scumreading someones behavior, rather than trying to win by PoE early using towncore methodology.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
My mindset is based on going all in on what can solve the game to me, which is always going after the people I think the most suspect regardless of activity level for them. Activity itself is a factor in considering who is most suspicious, but it's middling at best in importance especially early on. My #1 priority is to scumhunt, not preserve people's lives.

I'm very much in the minority in this mindset, I have no delusions otherwise. Until I played on MU I pretty much didn't even acknowledge town reads or give them active thought in my own head which is baffling to a lot of players. They form town cores and lynch outside those, I just had varying degrees of scum. I have adapted but my mindset is still very honed in towards accurately scumreading someones behavior, rather than trying to win by PoE early using towncore methodology.
Yes, so like I said, you're gambling.

Anyway,what sort of scum hunting have you done today considering we have about three hours left. Real interested in what you've gleaned from behavioral play today that isn't rooted in meta.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's also ironic that I'm arguing with the second lowest post count player in the game right now (only followed by Zipped who literally just replaced in) about the value of low post count players to town.

Not very surprised that his position is to protect low activity players.
This is twisting of what I said, considering I never proposed that we purposely lynch active players for info, only that high activity isn't going to hold me back from lynching a player if I find them suspicious.

I'm a quality over quantity player, and rarely fluff. I could stretch out my content over more posts by just individually addressing posts I did all at once in my multiquote responses, but that would be a silly waste of my time to pad stats.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
This is twisting of what I said, considering I never proposed that we purposely lynch active players for info, only that high activity isn't going to hold me back from lynching a player if I find them suspicious.

I'm a quality over quantity player, and rarely fluff. I could stretch out my content over more posts by just individually addressing posts I did all at once in my multiquote responses, but that would be a silly waste of my time to pad stats.
It's not twisting anything. Even if it's an unintended side effect, your method protects low activity players. I can't imagine you'd ever make a scum read on a player who only has a handful of low impact posts in a day phase.

And proposing a lunch on a high activity player on the first day when your information to catch scum is basically at zero percent, relying on just your gut, removing a player who will get other people to post, is blatantly anti town play. Even if Fanto is scum, there is value in keeping him alive just to see how he continues to interact with the game and get additional reads from that. It's D1, town should cut baggage off now while they still have time to do it.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
still reading everything, but I really don't understand that ketkat votes. I mean yeah she is low posting, but so is Soneji and Reki neither of which seem to be in contention.

I would give Soneji a bit of a leg to the other two in that they have voted, but y'all are barely more than me, and I have been in the game thirty minutes.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
It's not twisting anything. Even if it's an unintended side effect, your method protects low activity players. I can't imagine you'd ever make a scum read on a player who only has a handful of low impact posts in a day phase.

And proposing a lunch on a high activity player on the first day when your information to catch scum is basically at zero percent, relying on just your gut, removing a player who will get other people to post, is blatantly anti town play. Even if Fanto is scum, there is value in keeping him alive just to see how he continues to interact with the game and get additional reads from that. It's D1, town should cut baggage off now while they still have time to do it.
Moalfunction, I think your solution is to vote for Soneji... if you believe it is blatently anti-town play then lets vote!

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes, so like I said, you're gambling.

Anyway,what sort of scum hunting have you done today considering we have about three hours left. Real interested in what you've gleaned from behavioral play today that isn't rooted in meta.
I've honed in on yourself, Fanto and turmoil as suspicious players and in the former two cases have gotten you to address my concerns/talk with me. turmoil ignored me outside of just talking about lack of suspicion toward himself and Fanto up till that point then joining me onto Fanto...kind of ignoring that creating wagons all around are a point of suspicion for him but the blatantness of it is at least usually a town tell. Still working out turmoil as a player to fully decide that one. Fanto gave quick answers that didn't seem ashamed of what would otherwise be kind of sketchy reasoning, so gives me better feelings there. As for yourself, you've thrown some shade my way with the trying to earn town cred lines, and twisted my words with my approach to activity of players which doesn't speak good to me.

VOTE: Maolfunction

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
언이라브

Do you have a shorthand for your name? I went to your user page to get your @, which I can do if you prefer, but if you have a nickname I can use that as well.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Moalfunction, I think your solution is to vote for Soneji... if you believe it is blatently anti-town play then lets vote!
Nah. Soneji is adding something with his posts. He's more an impact in the game than Exodus at this point, who has continued to not actually provide any reasons why he'd vote Brian or myself outside of like a sentence saying my reasoning lets me vote town.

Which, for anyone who wants clarification on that, yes. I'm predicting today's flip will be town. And if I can continue the earlier chess metaphor, by getting rid of low impact townie who's not contributing much to the game, I'm sacrificing a pawn to clear a file to make space to control the center of the board. It's a long term strategic play.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Which, for anyone who wants clarification on that, yes. I'm predicting today's flip will be town. And if I can continue the earlier chess metaphor, by getting rid of low impact townie who's not contributing much to the game, I'm sacrificing a pawn to clear a file to make space to control the center of the board. It's a long term strategic play.
It's day 1, I think our overall record for day 1 mafia hit is sub 5% of all games played. Hitting town is practically a given.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I've honed in on yourself, Fanto and turmoil as suspicious players and in the former two cases have gotten you to address my concerns/talk with me. turmoil ignored me outside of just talking about lack of suspicion toward himself and Fanto up till that point then joining me onto Fanto...kind of ignoring that creating wagons all around are a point of suspicion for him but the blatantness of it is at least usually a town tell. Still working out turmoil as a player to fully decide that one. Fanto gave quick answers that didn't seem ashamed of what would otherwise be kind of sketchy reasoning, so gives me better feelings there. As for yourself, you've thrown some shade my way with the trying to earn town cred lines, and twisted my words with my approach to activity of players which doesn't speak good to me.

VOTE: Maolfunction
I'm throwing shade at you because your style is inherently anti town, but alright.

So far, I'm not very impressed with your scumhunting.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I have tunneled low content posters for making pingy posts before in games, but I acknowledge that they can sometimes be a blind spot for me if only for lack of entertainment in hunting them. I also like to think my super power sometimes is being able to sort the low hanging fruit, and that it can be vital to some games success to do so. Thankfully where my blindspots exist, the rest of town is there to act as a counterbalance and hopefully together we off the correct low content townies if any are scum. My method no more protects them then anyone elses other than those who actively target them for no guilt d1 policy lynches.

My play has been called anti-town before, it's no skin off my back. Holding a minority viewpoint here allows me to do my thing and almost never does a player perceived as high value get offed early by my pursuit of them, so while I'd prefer to get my way you can rest comfortably in your bed knowing it's not a likely possibility.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm throwing shade at you because your style is inherently anti town, but alright.

I think its anti-town to aim for low activity people in general if I'm honest. It just creates a situation where the votes on them are less important later on as they can just point to activity.

There's a weird amount of defense between high activity posters right now that I haven't seen in previous games. I'm more leaning towards voting on one of these people than anywhere else right now

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

It has a proven track record, and as I mentioned earlier d2+ is where my style shines. My d1s are usually narrowly focused and like most players, my d1 lynch choice is usually town. On top of getting used to players I have no experience with, we'll see how it goes.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I have tunneled low content posters for making pingy posts before in games, but I acknowledge that they can sometimes be a blind spot for me if only for lack of entertainment in hunting them. I also like to think my super power sometimes is being able to sort the low hanging fruit, and that it can be vital to some games success to do so. Thankfully where my blindspots exist, the rest of town is there to act as a counterbalance and hopefully together we off the correct low content townies if any are scum. My method no more protects them then anyone elses other than those who actively target them for no guilt d1 policy lynches.

My play has been called anti-town before, it's no skin off my back. Holding a minority viewpoint here allows me to do my thing and almost never does a player perceived as high value get offed early by my pursuit of them, so while I'd prefer to get my way you can rest comfortably in your bed knowing it's not a likely possibility.
I mean, yeah, but calling out your bullshit style as the anti town play it is is not a scum tell on me, yet there's your vote. I'm also not terribly concerned about your impact on the game at this point unless other townies start listening to you, but hopefully they don't so I don't have to waste a day phase advocating we get rid of you.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I think its anti-town to aim for low activity people in general if I'm honest. It just creates a situation where the votes on them are less important later on as they can just point to activity.

There's a weird amount of defense between high activity posters right now that I haven't seen in previous games. I'm more leaning towards voting on one of these people than anywhere else right now
Not typically as scum usually try to stay off town flip wagons until a wagon is clearly established. It's always important to look at wagon placement when analyzing D1 votes. Scum hardly ever are the leaders on those.

You're also ignoring the proven trend that low post play is a viable mafian strategy. Most mafians do not want to stand out early on in the game and become potential targets for cops or roleblockers on N1.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
low posting is one of my favorite ways to play day 1, shit post bare minimum and then lazy bandwagon vote. Well at least when I'm not planning on winning.

best way for town to play is to pound the boards, boots to the ground and get people talking.

That's why scum likes to hide some of their players in the low post count, we tend to get blinded by middle to large posters

of course this is mini mafia, so everything I am saying is likely wrong

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Things got busy over here so sorry for the delayed answers. Dunno if I'll be active at EoD either.

At the moment, I'm content to keep my vote on Soneji, pending hearing more from him now that he's checked in. I would also consider exodus as things are, though - he's been more active, but there's not been much more than commenting on Chuggs. I appreciate that he's been busy IRL, though, so he still has time to get more involved.

You're not voting there anymore, but Soneji talked quite a bit since your post. What do you think now? Personally the recent exchange with Maolfunction left a weird impression. Going for high-activity players like Fanto on D1 is weird unless they're openly suspicious, but that may as well be a thing of this particular community. Then the change to Mao for what's basically arguing over playstyles looks pretty unnecessary.

seriously all i remember about SU mafia is that fucking role i got.
remember that shit? the role that fucking lied to me!?

If it helps, you're the best flavor cop I've ever seen.

Im not seeing why him posting a fair amount is something really in his favour, and its not like i have much else in the way of targets, its not much but its enough for me to feel okay with a D1 vote.

Fanto already answered, but it's not about the volume, it's about the fast answers. I'm of the opinion that Chuggs is a bit more measured and calculating when he isn't town.

Does that mean I should unvote then, aaaa I see him so weird.

Hey, just vote there if it looks suspicious to you. What helps me when in doubt is thinking of who would I look to if the player I'm voting flips town or mafia.

For example you said I could be partners with Chuggs, so I guess you'd like to push me depending on the flip?

high activity isn't going to hold me back from lynching a player if I find them suspicious.

That's exactly what plenty have said in previous pages when talking about this though. Not voting active posters is not a prohibition, bur rather what Verelios said; given two players who read exactly as suspicious, plenty here (including myself) prefer to pick the low poster. High volume posters, as Maolfunction said, have a) A harder time covering the holes over time b) Generate a ton of interactions, even if they're not town.

And that's especially true D1, when you normally lack information. You yourself said your D1s aren't as good as your D2s, and that's the case for almost everyone. Yet to meet someone who says "Yeah my D1s are amazing!".

Yeah I'll go with Maol if that's my only option.

What do you mean here, exodus?

By the way, welcome Zippedpinhead ! Hope you have fun.