• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I finally did some hobbying again. Only took 6 months, lol.

Before :
rZcTG1Z.jpg
After :

At least my membership card is safe for another 6 months.

Rakthen

Jul 20, 2023
As much as I was actually looking forward to the halo game I'm afraid special dice are a no go for me. I can't stand games that use their own dice for anything. Hated it in mcp and just about every other game I've tried.

That said! I hope its successful. The minis do look awesome. Might pick one up for a painting project.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I live in a tiny one bedroom flat with my partner and had nowhere to hobby/paint or put all my stuff, so I bought an IKEA Brimnes bookcase which is tall and thin and has two deep drawers.
Put it next to our dining table with the idea being all the stuff would be within reach and I could do a bit of hobbying then put it all away.
Problem is I filled it instantly and have tons of crap left over, and have nowhere to put my hundreds of built models.
They're all on the table now but I can't keep them there as it's our shared living room table.
They're too delicate to just chuck in boxes, I just opened one box of models and at least two have snapped parts which has really bummed me out (Nighthaunt and some Nurgle stuff like big bloatflys are insanely delicate).

How do people store built/painted models in a cost-effective, space saving way??

Feels like this is really hard hobby to get into without a dedicated space, at least a dedicated table/desk, if not a whole room.
I continue to feel overwhelmed and stressed by it all, which isn't what I want from what was supposed to be a relaxing hobby.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
I live in a tiny one bedroom flat with my partner and had nowhere to hobby/paint or put all my stuff, so I bought an IKEA Brimnes bookcase which is tall and thin and has two deep drawers.
Put it next to our dining table with the idea being all the stuff would be within reach and I could do a bit of hobbying then put it all away.
Problem is I filled it instantly and have tons of crap left over, and have nowhere to put my hundreds of built models.
They're all on the table now but I can't keep them there as it's our shared living room table.
They're too delicate to just chuck in boxes, I just opened one box of models and at least two have snapped parts which has really bummed me out (Nighthaunt and some Nurgle stuff like big bloatflys are insanely delicate).

How do people store built/painted models in a cost-effective, space saving way??

Feels like this is really hard hobby to get into without a dedicated space, at least a dedicated table/desk, if not a whole room.
I continue to feel overwhelmed and stressed by it all, which isn't what I want from what was supposed to be a relaxing hobby.

So my models which are finished and are not in use gaming whise are stored away in a gw case.
All build models which are various states of painting are stored in small food containers one per project or squad.
Painting station is mobile on a tray. Paints and hobby stuff is in a small ikea roller cabinet underneath my desk.
Boxes and sprues are hidden in closet and for finished models i have a glass showcase as well

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
I have an Ikea Vittsjo that's basically filled with all my unopened boxes, paints, accessories etc. I take out what I need when I paint. I do not assemble more than what I need to work on at the time, though, as I don't have a way to store these properly.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I have an Ikea Vittsjo that's basically filled with all my unopened boxes, paints, accessories etc. I take out what I need when I paint. I do not assemble more than what I need to work on at the time, though, as I don't have a way to store these properly.

This has been one of my major mistakes. I was so anxious about the painting part that instead of building my first models and painting them, I just kept building models. I've built about a hundred now and painted none of them.
And I am already looking at some of the first models I built and being annoyed by mold lines and seam gaps etc and want to do them over.
I also glued most of them to their bases which will make basing a pain, and there are some models I wish were still in parts which would make painting easier.
I also based them all in Death Guard green which I regret now.

So my models which are finished and are not in use gaming whise are stored away in a gw case.
All build models which are various states of painting are stored in small food containers one per project or squad.
Painting station is mobile on a tray. Paints and hobby stuff is in a small ikea roller cabinet underneath my desk.
Boxes and sprues are hidden in closet and for finished models i have a glass showcase as well

A glass showcase is the dream!
I need to get some smaller containers to store my built models, they're all in one huge plastic tub but getting tangled and a couple have snapped parts.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
This has been one of my major mistakes. I was so anxious about the painting part that instead of building my first models and painting them, I just kept building models. I've built about a hundred now and painted none of them.
And I am already looking at some of the first models I built and being annoyed by mold lines and seam gaps etc and want to do them over.
I also glued most of them to their bases which will make basing a pain, and there are some models I wish were still in parts which would make painting easier.
I also based them all in Death Guard green which I regret now.

A glass showcase is the dream!
I need to get some smaller containers to store my built models, they're all in one huge plastic tub but getting tangled and a couple have snapped parts.

This is my go to container, fits a killteam or squad easily, easy to stack and see through. And the initial content tastes well as well ;)

shopping

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
This is my go to container, fits a killteam or squad easily, easy to stack and see through. And the initial content tastes well as well ;)

Haha, what is that, yoghurt?

This particular model stirred up some discussion at our weekly paint jam last night. The background was apparently not just printed but was also AI generated. We all agreed that it was 'not cool' to put it lightly.

Oh really? That sucks. I'm never really a fan of printed backgrounds on dioramas.

Paint jam sounds so much fun! How do you find out about that sort of thing?
I'm in a big city (London) so I assume there must be those kind of events.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen people have different reactions to the ai generation (I hate it), but at the bare minimum at least just use it as a reference and paint it? Don't just slap it on fresh from the printer.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Paint jam sounds so much fun! How do you find out about that sort of thing?
I'm in a big city (London) so I assume there must be those kind of events.

It's a weekly event hosted at our FLGS. Really all it involves is people coming in and setting up a small space to paint, build, or even convert minis at a table. The only thing the shop provides is four tables with tablecloths so we don't damage them as these are very nice, polished wood tops. It's a very large shop that regularly hosts card game tourneys so they have the space for it. We take up four tables out of twenty or so and lately we've been filling up every seat at said tables.

What's great is we have people of all levels hanging out in one space. We have a professional commission Painter, some competition painters, total newbies, thirty year veterans, people who only do warhammer, people who just want to paint, and those like me who mainly paint grimdark indie game stuff. You get lots of great feedback and people happily lend out paint and tools. There's also a great variety of things being painted at any one time.

Maybe you can set something up at your FLGS, really all you need is consistency and a space and ideally the shop will advertise it on social media. People will eventually start showing up regularly. We started with two people and once word spread more we blew up to ten regulars.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It's a weekly event hosted at our FLGS. Really all it involves is people coming in and setting up a small space to paint, build, or even convert minis at a table. The only thing the shop provides is four tables with tablecloths so we don't damage them as these are very nice, polished wood tops. It's a very large shop that regularly hosts card game tourneys so they have the space for it. We take up four tables out of twenty or so and lately we've been filling up every seat at said tables.

What's great is we have people of all levels hanging out in one space. We have a professional commission Painter, some competition painters, total newbies, thirty year veterans, people who only do warhammer, people who just want to paint, and those like me who mainly paint grimdark indie game stuff. You get lots of great feedback and people happily lend out paint and tools. There's also a great variety of things being painted at any one time.

Maybe you can set something up at your FLGS, really all you need is consistency and a space and ideally the shop will advertise it on social media. People will eventually start showing up regularly. We started with two people and once word spread more we blew up to ten regulars.
Sounds like a good evening.

I wish I had a local store (closest one is 1h 30 mins away) to do the same. I wouldn't even mind if it was 5 newbies or so. Just discussing the hobby sounds a lot of fun

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
It really is. For all the videos and tutorials I've absorbed over the last year and a half I really feel like the biggest steps toward being the Painter I want to be came from these paint jams.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London

I wouldn't be able to set something up myself, anxiety issues unfortunately, not great around new people.
If there was an existing one I would maybe go and see how I handled it. Oddly for one of the biggest cities in the world, London has very few FLGS'.
There's a big Warhammer store in the centre of town but they don't do painting/game sessions.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Finishing up the primed Altar Quest minis to be finally able to sell off the game. My own goal there was to at least have the minis I already primed after receiving the game painted. Turned out to be not really my game and its boxes occupy an entire moving box cluttering our storage space. Hope I'll find someone who enjoys the game more and doesn't mind just 8 heroes and two terrain pieces of the just above 200 being painted.

Base Game heroes:
1000021120-01.jpg

"The First Four" hero expansion:
1000021121-01.jpg

Also not a huge fan of the miniatures - both sculpts and quality. But they're charming enough and as usual, even painted with such a semi quick/messy paintjob (~3h+ / mini) it transforms the appearance imo.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this little project this Easter weekend. Had this kit for years and finally had time to turn it into a little diorama for a cousin's birthday.

View: https://x.com/NFern0/status/1775052140093784078?s=20

It's the first time I did any weathering and I was so scared I'd mess up the paintjob but this ended up being my favourite mini I did to date! It's also the first time where most painting was done with an airbrush. Until now I've only used it for priming. It did show me the limitations of my current airbrush. I need to get a better one, one which offers better control and probably more nozzles.

Doing that little tank really made me want to paint a bigger vehicle...so naturally I'm getting a Baneblade soon (along with stuff to magnetize all 9 versions of it).

Edit : Burny those minis are great, especially the faces! The halflings are my favourites.

Last edited: