• iOS/Safari issues when launching the site from mobile home screens should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! Add some purple to your home screen today.

Miniature Gaming ERA - Modelling, Playing & Painting

Oct 25, 2017
Started my first painting tonight, first miniatures ever. I started with a Stormtrooper and had the goal of just doing the black/dark grey for the joints, eyes, blasters, and the other small details.

Did I do it wrong assembling the trooper before priming/painting? All the tutorials I watched had them assembling them first so I figured that was the way to go. But I really struggled to get paint at a few places. Is that normal? Does anybody ever paint some pieces before assembling?

But overall I got all the black parts done and loved it. Took forever, tried to be meticulous but had it in a few undesirable places but figured I can go over that with white or whatever. good stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll send a courier over to lighten your load
I'm not THAT desperate for help. :P

I got a box of mystery Infinity miniatures and identifying all of them is a real pain in my ass. So far they all seem to be Ariadna, at least. Hopefully all of 'em are to save me from spending too much time on this. D:

Got at least one limited sculpt, which is kinda nice. I expect there's more. Hard to know for sure, though. So many. None of 'em assembled, either.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Started my first painting tonight, first miniatures ever. I started with a Stormtrooper and had the goal of just doing the black/dark grey for the joints, eyes, blasters, and the other small details.

Did I do it wrong assembling the trooper before priming/painting? All the tutorials I watched had them assembling them first so I figured that was the way to go. But I really struggled to get paint at a few places. Is that normal? Does anybody ever paint some pieces before assembling?

But overall I got all the black parts done and loved it. Took forever, tried to be meticulous but had it in a few undesirable places but figured I can go over that with white or whatever. good stuff.
In a perfect world yes, some people prime before assembly, some even on the sprue. It's especially useful when painting a ton of minis at the same time.

I tend to assemble first. It can be problematic when painting but I love seeing the minis built and I can't really visualise how I want them to look without glueing everything up.

OP
OP
Mikeside
Oct 25, 2017
UK
yeah it's a real personal preference thing
once you've got a bit more finesse and brush control, it gets a lot easier to get in all the nooks and crannies that you'll struggle with at first

I still paint partly-built often to make things simpler

Oct 26, 2017
I would say that most people assemble, or at least partially assemble, models prior to priming or painting. I do it because it can be really hard to sometimes to tell how things line up, where details need to be highlighted versus where they are barely seen and don't need as much attention, etc.

The more models you build and the more you paint, the easier it gets deciding how much of a model to build versus how many pieces to leave off for easier painting. And you'll get better at being able to reach the harder to reach places. A lot of times I end up leaving off weapons or capes until after painting because they tend to block other parts of the model.

Oct 25, 2017
In a perfect world yes, some people prime before assembly, some even on the sprue. It's especially useful when painting a ton of minis at the same time.

I tend to assemble first. It can be problematic when painting but I love seeing the minis built and I can't really visualise how I want them to look without glueing everything up.
yeah it's a real personal preference thing
once you've got a bit more finesse and brush control, it gets a lot easier to get in all the nooks and crannies that you'll struggle with at first

I still paint partly-built often to make things simpler
I would say that most people assemble, or at least partially assemble, models prior to priming or painting. I do it because it can be really hard to sometimes to tell how things line up, where details need to be highlighted versus where they are barely seen and don't need as much attention, etc.

The more models you build and the more you paint, the easier it gets deciding how much of a model to build versus how many pieces to leave off for easier painting. And you'll get better at being able to reach the harder to reach places. A lot of times I end up leaving off weapons or capes until after painting because they tend to block other parts of the model.
This all definitely makes sense. I'll have to be a bit more careful going forward and think ahead a bit more. Unfortunately I assembled 7 or 8 figures last night and got the glue in there, so I'll just have to struggle for now.

I think the only real difficulty here will be a few stormtroopers holding rocket launchers on their shoulders, I can't get to the sides of their helmets or the side of the launcher - I'll have to figure it out though. Thanks for the help!